Masters Running

Tue Mar 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 535 times)

Good morning, boomers, masters, whatever you are. Smile A chilly start to the week, it's mid 20's F but happily no winds. 8 easy miles in this, my last hard week before the race. Workout: 7.2 miles, 8:33/mi, AHR 143 Overall: 8.2 miles, 1:10 Running late -- have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Lou...nice run already this morning...better hurry up Big grin 6.5 sluggish miles again last night in 59:14. I really don't understand my sore heavy legs as of late. It actually goes back to my 18 mile run on March 15 were I felt fantastic, and could have run a lot further, but have NOT been the same since. And forget any speed work right now. I have cut back on my miles and obviously my intensity to no avail. Maybe I need to take a few days off and bike or something, huh? And my resting HR is low and where it should be which confuses me. Like last Sat morning, my resting HR was about 42 before I began my run, and had a hard time gettig it up where it should be. My ave HR was 123 bpm, but my legs were sore and heavy. With my HR in check, I figure I am not overtraining, and I feel fine and am sleeping and eating well. Oh well, nuff about me. Bob, I got my new keyboard late last night for my web TV unit....you have a remarkable memory dude Shocked Hope all that are sick and injured get well real soon Smile Have a wonderful day and runs all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

A cold front came through last night - probably the last one of those we're going to see for a while - and brought down the temps and humidity to 54 degrees and 46% humidity. A bit chilly with a sleeveless shirt on into a cold north wind, but really Perfect! 6.1 easy GA miles at 9:09 min/mile pace overall. But I did have five 8:50's in there somewhere. Avg. HR 135. Bill PS: Don't bother reading today's POTD on KR. That guy's boring ...

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Well, as promised we have some mighty wind gusts out there this morning. Some up to 50 mph! I am happy that I went out for my run last night, even though that run was very difficult. I know that many of you admire those of us who get up at the crack of dawn to run - I, on the other hand, admire those of you that can run in the evenings. Overall 5.5 miles to start the week. Great 8 easy miles WRFB! Tim - I don't have any advise for you, but I'm sure others will be happy to help you out. Bill - your temps would be a heat wave up here!! Nice run in perfect conditions! BTB - the photo's you posted Easter Sunday were beautiful. I look forward to reading your posts every day. TTFN! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning. Thanks for starting things off for the day WRFB. Finally back from my latest basketball trip. A lot of stories I could tell......from packing up a whole basketball team and changing hotels.......to watching a cheerleader fall headfirst onto the floor and hitting her upper neck (yikes)......to watching a team START the game trailing by a 2-0 score.....to running along Virginia Beach. I will spare you all the details. My brother has settled into life at home again, with hopefully a resolve to get some walking/exercise in. If anything changes I will let all of you nice people know. Holly......I can certainly understand your desire to keep improving and seeing benefits from all of the great work that you do. However, in the principle of "sowing and reaping", a lot of what you do may not immediately show up. Instead, they simply take time to develop. As well, the further you go with your training, the smaller amount of improvement you are able to see. As others have said, I do think you may be showing signs of fatigue. Your taper should help to give you the break that is needed. Of course, adrenilin will probably kick in on actual race day. All of us know that you will do fine in Boston and in years to come. Spareribs quiz?......ummm......try a score of 22 out of the 25, that I have experienced. The couple I missed were purely because they were things that I wasn't involved in at the time....... I still remember my grandmother's phone number......"Homestead 4-2468". I remember the advent of area codes for phones......and zip codes for mail. We not only had a milk man who delivered......but also a bread man.......my paper route was a rural route with 75 customers over a stretch of 4 miles. The paper went out 6 days a week for a price of 50 cents a week, of which I got 10 cents. The funny part of it is, I don't consider myself old in any sense of the word. I did get good runs in at Virginia Beach, despite some cooler temperatures that came in. Good runs everyone and have a great day. Opps......got to add......GREAT pictures of Soundie and Arf!.......(and Tet and Divechief too) Good to see you posting again dg
            Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning. Quick post, gotta get going.. 6 Magical Healing Miles with strides at 9:30 pace AHR 148. Tory did well on the strides. I say "ready" and he comes up along side and then when I go "beep" he takes off with me. Kind of fun! the 2 x 2 min planks and 3x20 hamstring "curls". Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for your kind words and advice yesterday. This community has been a huge source of strength for me in so many ways. You folks are awesome! Tim – what you’re going through sounds so much like what I have been feeling. Breger – I want YOUR kind of cold front. And thanks, I will be very careful on Sunday not to overdo it. I have no problem with walking the last few miles if I feel I need to. Mary – I agree with you – I would have no energy in the evening to run. Vista – you’ve been so busy lately - how much longer does basketball season go? Perch – I need to start working with Dexter to teach him to be a running companion like Tory. Peter – let me add another congratulations to your 23 years. Teresa – congratulations on last week’s mileage PR! 12.25 miles for me this morning in 27 degrees, with miles #3, 4, 6, 8, and 11 at MP or better (8:27, 8:41, 8:39, 8:36, 8:35). They weren’t together as a group, but I felt very happy to have done 5 of them. This is the longest run I’ve ever done on a weekday. (2 p.m. has Holly snoring loudly at her desk…) Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Morning Gang I started to comment on all the runs today and lost it Confused So will just say, thanks for starting us Lou with a cool run. 9m 01:34:30 @ 10:30 pace AHR 157 75% WHR Hilly Trail, was a bit like the grand old duke of york Smile Good runs All Roy

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Probably one of the last chilly mornings this season... 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:18 pace. Good running to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning Boomers. 4 miles in 38:05 back on the dreadmill this morning. I know you may not believe we could have weather like this in Wisconsin, but it's SNOWING here! Somebody stop the madness - I'm crying "uncle!" Would it be too much to ask for one sunny day in the 40's now that it's almost April? What happened to the global warming theory? Sorry, done complaining now... WRFB - good run today, and good luck with your last difficult week of training. biketm - seems like a lot of sore muscles among the Boomers lately. Maybe we all need a good massage. Bill - you just keep rolling along. I wish I had your dedication and ability to keep focused. Keep up the good work! Mary, I agree. Running at night is so much more difficult. Why is that for some people? Even though getting up at 4:30 is hard, I'm always much less tired doing that than trying to run later in the day. Vista - glad your brother is doing okay. What did you think about the NCAA games last weekend? Some pretty good upsets, don't you think? Holly - your mental health seems much improved this morning. Nice workout! How are things going with the home selling/buying? Are you packed up and ready to go? You're not going to try and throw in a "moving sale" with all the other stuff you have going on in your life right now, are you? Going to shovel the driveway now. Sad Good Tuesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                        Tim & Holly: Hope you both rediscover your sproink, and soon. Mary: I'm with you on late running. In fact, I'm not much good any time after about noon. Jlynne: It's snowing here right now, too (Detroit). Did some workouts this morning on the elliptical, plenty of stretching, and upped my TM distance to 1.5 miles. I think I've finally turned the corner on the leg and am starting to come back. We've got a 2-week vacation coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'll probably continue to take it easy until we return and I can get back on a regular schedule at last. Keep on running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Oh no Jlynne and others in your area.....snow! Bleh.....sorry about that, but it can't last long, eh? Makes me remember the graduation ceremony at St. Lawrence University (I worked there in the 80s)---held outside on a glorious late May day and it started snowing as the Secretary General of Canada started speaking....and speaking......and speaking.... I am in Naples, FL and just back from a glorious run. I was too tired to do the workout as scheduled, but did run for 91 minutes in 60 degree temps. Windy and blue, blue sky. I meandered along some sidewalks and then ran along the Gulf coast as the tide was coming in. What a lift to the sprirt. I was all cranky after travel delays yesterday and rushing between appointments in Miami. I drove to Naples last night and there's nothing like a run on a beach to erase the whining. I may miss my guys and know the layouts of airports too well, but today, I am loving it all. Great photos these past days. Btb, you live in a beautiful area. Soundrunner---I want what you are having....you look like you are in your twenties. Gorgeous---the whole lot of you and looks like it was a fun dinner. I did eat more than I thought possible at the Persian dinner on Saturday. The hostess, Mahnaz, is married to French man (from Provence), so their dinner parties are amazing. Holly, you should know that my runs with you in Dayton were often what kept me going. It may seem that I am all disciplined and focused, but if I hadn't met you and knew you were waiting for me to go for a run in the wee hours of the morning, I would have just as easily rolled over and hit snooze. You are a dedicated and talented runner and I hope this is an endeavor for life. Boston may loom large and it is historic....and yet, it's just one day out of many in your future where you will toe the line with strength and cross the finish with a smile. Gotta scoot to my appointments and then I am heading to NH (via Cleveland...groovy).....perhaps another coastal run tomorrow morning (in more clothing I am sure Big grin) Poor Internet connection here, so I couldn't read everything. Good wishes to all CNYrunner
                            CNYrunner, I'm going to get mad at you if you come to S. Fla. again and don't let me know beforehand ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Uh Oh....can't have that Breger! Where are you in Florida? I'll let you know the next time....promise! Cool
                                8 easy miles this morning...never really got going till the last mile...but I'm still just trying to build a base...so they all count...8:03 pace
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip