Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.14.14 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good luck with the biopsy today, Ribs. I'm glad you're recovering from your cold, even though the recovery is slower than you would like (isn't it always?). Also - that shirt is amazing, in so many ways! It made me laugh too...

Sorry you're dragging too, Dave. I hope whatever it is passes quickly.

Hi Tammy - nice of you to pop in!

JC is pretty impressive, TW. Happy Birthday to him, and congrats on his birthday-straddle AG wins.

"I thought Vestal only had virgins.  That might be the problem right there.

Leslie, it is always nice to hear from you. I hope your new position is keeping you very busy in a good way. Congrats on doing a good job of building your endurance back up.

I gave DW a necklace for her birthday, and she likes it! I get to stick around for another year...

5.5 racewalking miles in SHORTS at 4 o'dark this morning. It was in the low 40s - pretty weird for mid-January in NH. I did a tempo workout this morning, and was able to maintain my focus for most of the time. I was also trying to come up with the term for when roads buckle a bit because of the cold - I was very close, but it wasn't coming, so I told myself to be patient. After I got home, I remembered; frost heaves. One of my goals this morning was to get back home before the rain started. I succeeded, but it was raining by the time I left for the office.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Frost heaves are what I get when I workout too hard in below zero temperatures.

Thanks to a better night's sleep I am a little better today.  I went to the gym, TM warm-up and then some weights.  I was still not in the right frame of mine for a regular workout, so I did 2 sets of things instead of 3, but I used a little more weight to offset my laziness.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay.

Question for you all.  Before I have any kind of medical procedure, I have to take antibiotics, because of my heart disease.  This includes today's biopsy.  Last night I took the first pill, AMOX K CLAV, it says on the bottle. In the middle of the night, my lips and the tissue in my mouth began to swell and I look kind of funny today, with big lips and a tingling in the mouth. I have no known drug allergies so this is new to me.

Has anyone ever experienced this with an antibiotic?  No run for me today. Leaving the house in an hour.  Spareribs

Mariposai

No answer for you spareribs, but I do want to wish you good luck with your medical procedure today.

Jay, a necklace for your DW birthday, nice move!

Enkie, the flower you gave me keeps on blooming.

No running here, but I will this afternoon after work. I have some zombiesleks planned. My township in zombiesland is looking very robust, catch me if you can twocat 

Having a blast organizing the Inaugural Omak Orchards in Bloom Half Marathon and 10k. It is amazing how the community is coming together to help me organizing this event. The funny part is that the majority of my volunteers are not even runners.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...ribs//..............it's plain old Amoxicillin but with ''Clauvalate'' to make it more bacteriocidal,,,,,,,,,,that's the part that you may be Allergic to

also

it gives you TheSquirts on an empty stomach............but you probably know that by now

===========

...but I digress.........

..............32mprnb

with LOTS of steps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YOWZA//////

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

also

it gives you TheSquirts on an empty stomach............but you probably know that by now

Fly by from work.....

6 miles for me this morning in 34 degrees, including 4 x 800 (200).  Starting slow......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I'm back from the dr. and the biopsy treatment.  Thanks TomWhite.  Doc said if it continues to bother me it's okay to take a Benedryl. I'm okay now.  I will learn in 5 business days if I have cancer or don't.  If I do, I go back to him; if not I'm done with him.  Good, professional doc. Told me, "I'll call you, and I'll tell you right over the phone if you have it or not."  I appreciate his setting expectations so I am not in the dark.

That biopsy probe sounded like a cap gun going off and it was not a pleasant experience.  In a bit of discomfort now but not severe pain.  Thanks all for your positive thoughts.  Spareribs

Ribs, lots of people have penicillin allergies (just read about a woman today...same thing with penicillin, except worse, starting with the lips) so be careful and let them know next time you take an antibiotic.  I'd ask for a different one.

PS - loved the shirt.

I should have run this morning I was awake but didn't get back to sleep, then I found out it was 50F and NO WIND.  Ahhh, perfect.  Hopefully it will stay that way when I get home tonight.

I made these brownies from RW's mag on the weekend, you use mashed cooked beets and not much oil or butter.  They are too healthy!!!  I was hoping they would turn out really gooy and creamy......at least the chocolate part was good!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I have't posted in almost a week.  I visited my daughter and went to a training session for the semiannual shoe store sale in Lansing.  Then, I spent a few days in Ludington visiting my mother and sister. Right now, my wife and I are babysitting our grandson.  Tomorrow, I'll head back to Lansing for the shoe sale which takes place Thursday through Monday (I'm taking Saturday off to do a race near home).  Then next Tuesday, I'll be back here babysitting.

While i was out and about, I got in a couple of 8 mile treadmill runs and a couple of walks.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

NHLA a belated welcome to the daily!

fatozzig busy at work beats not busy and thus superfluous!

Tramps I too have quite seen quite a bit of art whose value I am hard pressed to explain.  Then again my DW just thinks I am cheap.

tomwhite congratulations to your friend.

Dave59 the book a race, get hurt, lose all registration fees and other deposits is why I am liking this idea of picking a date and then as I get close picking a race.  Yea, I pay more for the registration fee but I save way more from not paying an early registration fee for a race I cannot run and then a late registration fee for a later one I can.

coastwalker low-40's and shorts is kind of borderline in my book.  Glad you made it back dry because in those temps being out in the rain really gets cold fast.

Spareribs best of luck with the biopsy.  I will keep my fingers crossed about the results.

Mariposai grr . .   I am not running enough.

enkephalin yea, sometimes trying to cut calories on a dish yields a less than wonderful recipe.  About that list of requirements for potential dates I have two names for you:  James Carville and Mary Matalin.

tselbs somehow I suspect you are having quite a lot of fun baby sitting instead of posting here.

I had planned to run 8 today.  But I woke up to rain and under the no running in the rain rule that was that.  So instead I will do 8 tomorrow.  Instead I hopped on the elliptical.  Yesterday I switched off of DirecTV for Dish.  The price is a lot lower and so far it seems the picture quality is a lot better.  It could be due to the new equipment containing 2014 technology instead of 2012.  But, has I upgraded via DirecTV they would have charged me a bunch and locked me into a two year contract.  Dish also required a two year contract but the equipment was "free."

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Quick drive through post. Too much work stuff.

Saying some prayers for you Ribs. From that biopsy it sounds like you earned beer/ice cream. Pick the one that works best. Or heck, do both but I wouldn't recommend them at the same time.

Got 4+ at lunch and plan to run with DS this afternoon. He has an indoor track meet in a couple of weeks at Purdue. He asked me if he could go. That kid is motivated.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Enke, I remember a brownies made with black beans recipe from awhile back, can't remember when, but never did make them. Not sure I could ever do the brownies with beets thing, even though I love beets. I hope your weather holds for a run later today!

Best wishes on the biopsy results, Ribs. Nice to have a doctor like that who is to the point and up front with you.

Glad to hear you're having so much fun organizing your race, Mariposai, although I can't say I'm surprised. Seems like a natural thing for you to do. And you can send some of that unusually warm weather up here... I wouldn't mind, really.

I was going through my old logs (the calendar log here) and reading up on some of last year's entries. I like making pretty detailed notes of the weather, the route, how I felt, etc. I don't check them often, but going back months later is nice to remember what I did. It was a good reminder of the amazing weather conditions we had last October, with no real snow until Halloween, and then I fell on the ice. Ouch. I remember that, hard to believe it was almost 3 months ago...  And this time last year we were stuck in -30 to -50° temps far too often! And I had some pretty long'ish runs in -5 to +5 range. Clearly I need to buck up and get out there more this year!

And on that note... 5.2 miles on the treadmill last night. *sigh* It has really warmed up today though, so I'm thinking of a hilly run outside tonight after work. (note to twocat: "really warmed up" means it's about +8° at noon....)

janie b good

ribs, best of luck with the biopsy results!  and I adore the shirt the saint made for you!

jay, yesterday was my birthday too ... happy birthday to mrs. jay!

no running for me today (planned rest day).  i'll be back at it again tomorrow!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

NHLA

7 miles 59 min. top of Echo Mt. and back   pic yellow trailpic yellow trail.

Sort of a flyby from work . . . .

Praying for a good outcome for Ribs.  I'm allergic to penicillin.  Supposedly makes my throat swell, according to what my parents told me.  Haven't had the guts to give another try in my old age.

4 very EZ miles this a.m. under a beautiful predawn sky - unfortunately.  The Hub read the statistics this a.m.:  Normally by this time we've had over 5" of rain.  Since July, we've had less than an inch.  I would LOVE to say I ran in the rain - or even a torrential downpour.

Another PT appointment with more torturous tendon work, but also some accentric (I think that's what he said) exercises to strengthen the posterior tibial tendons.  Plus another lesson in taping.  He said the exercises are a 12-14 week program.  And guess what?  The Hub has to help me!  I anticipate him jumping up and down with much joy. . . . . . Not!

Okay - Gotta go.  Later ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance