Masters Running

Tuesday - 5/27 (Read 35 times)

Dave59

Leslie - Congratulations on the 50k PR.

I'm back at work after a 4-day weekend.  I had a cup of coffee, worked my inbox down to zero, and then headed out for a 4.5 mile run.  It was 70° and a bit humid, but it felt good.  Weather gal said we set a new record high for the low temperature of the day on this date (if that makes any sense.)

Brooke (younger daughter) is here from St. Charles and is set-up at a desk in the next room.  She is going to be here visiting for a week and got permission to work remotely.  So far, no bad inter-office politics going on.

King of PhotoShop

Well done Leslie.

The Saint and I walked Lucy von Sheltie for 2.2 miles.

Today is a big day for me as it is 4 weeks ago that I had my (first) surgery, so I see the dr. for the 4 week post-op checkup.  I made a list of questions and I imagine you can guess what the first one is.  The main reason for this checkup, in addition to ensuring that I am feeling okay and healing properly, is to measure the PSA, which should be zero.  From this point I will see him twice a year for that exact reason.  Wish me luck.

Spareribs

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Very impressive PR, Leslie! Nice work. You deserve to be so dang happy!

Nice shirt, Steve. It's so 'you.'

I'm glad the coffee helped you get the inbox down and done, Dave. Have fun with Brook working next-door. See if you two can keep the chatter down to a minimum.

Good luck at your 4-wk. follow-up, Ribs. Or, perhaps I should wish the doc good luck! Either way, I hope you get a glowing report.

I spent the first 1.5 hours this morning at the car shop, trying to figure out why my car drove so weird at the end of last week. It turns out the drive shaft needs to be replaced, as does one of the front brake rotors. The car is 8 years old, has some mileage on it, and we're not sure it is worth the investment. Our nephew (who is heading home on Thursday after spending a month with us) has been saving for a car, so we might work a deal with him to take my car with him. He has a friend at home who is a mechanic who might be able to do the repair for him for the cost of the parts (but I'd at least fix the breaks before he leaves). It would be a really good deal for DN, but would leave me having to shop for another car rather quickly. Just what I need...

5.5 RW miles in mostly daylight (hooray) this morning. I'll have mostly daylight till mid/late July, which is a real treat for we early am folks. I still haven't fully recovered from the trade conference, but I pressed the pace pretty hard this morning to try to get my body back in shape. Seems to have worked, so far.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still barely just morning, all!

Whoa, first off,  Leslie!  Super running, so so so happy for you.  Fantastic.  Now do share any and all details you care to write down for us, please.

tw and tselbs, appreciated your posts yesterday.  Two of my uncles saw a lot of action in WW2, the Italian ones who were so teased and insulted as kids that they wouldn't teach me the language.  Uncle Nick was a paratrooper at D-Day and injured (leg), Uncle Pete was in Africa against Rommel (DH has the gold friendship ring he brought back from Africa for my mom.  She used to help him deliver his papers when they were kids.)

Seattle folks,  looks as if you'll have the fun of a Jay visit next year!!!  Maybe there will be a race around then; be sure to post it!  Did the new sofa work out ok, Jay?  You have been moving these past couple of days even with company--11 yesterday--caught that!

We used to tell Frank (the dog) that we had to collect his poops for the dog poop museum (it was something to say to him while he waited patiently for us).  We also imagined dogs would "get" the concept of a poop museum and think it would be a lot of fun, so long as the exhibits were open for them to sniff.  Tag will be expecting Nachos now on a regular basis.  Dogs are big on entitlements, I've learned.

Eat, Ribs, and you know we are all sending strong and healthy thoughts out to you.

Easy 8 for me at Lakes Park, loving the earlier sunrise as well (see coastwalker's post).   Our Memorial Day 5K is on a golf course; I've run it in the past when we were just visiting here.  Brought home the Master's award yesterday with a bit slower time than other recent 5Ks.  Most of the course is on grass that is damp with dew and y'know, being my age, a lady has to be at least a tad concerned about falling and breaking a hip!  So it was a nice surprise.  Got in some additional miles and later DH and rode our bikes over to the beach to walk along the Gulf for a bit.  Lovely way to kick off the unofficial start of summer.   not to mention........<don't want to jinx anything>.......the Red Sox won.  I almost forgot how to say that!>      

And it is well into Tuesday this week already!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

YAY Leslie!!! I'm so happy for you! With all the running you did for the two days prior to the 50K, to then knock out a 50k PR is Impressive!!

Ribs - good luck with your check up today. Anxious to hear how it goes! 

MikeE - I would have been a bit p.o.'d about waiting around for awards for nothing. But congrats on your award nonetheless!!

Had a nice 4 day wknd. David's state meet on Friday, household stuff on Saturday, nice long run with David on Sunday and some outdoor stuff yesterday. Friday David and I will head up to Eugene for the Pre Classic and also looking forward to another long run with him on Pre's Trail.

tonight is the National Honor Society dinner. As President, David will have to give a speech and then they induct in the new members. Only 2 wks left of middle school for him!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - I love the ability to work remotely.

Ribs - you are so smart to make a list of your questions.  Good luck today.

Jay - my car is in the shop right now, something having to do with an oil leak, and it will cost me more than $600.  This just after the $550 new radiator a couple weeks ago, and apparently new wheel bearings on one side is just ahead.  

Amy - nice racing?

Tammy - well done for David!

MikeE - what Tammy said.

I am so on the fence about the VT50.  DH gave me the go-ahead, and said we would surely be able to cover the airfare, etc. by the end of the summer.  However, our family has been hit with a lot lately: $3000 down on DD's braces; $1000 for a crown for DH; $1100 in car repairs for me; $1500 for sidewalk repair in front of our home (ordered by the city).  I hate to commit to an out-of-state race until we catch up a bit.  But if I wait too long, the race will fill up, so I need to make a decision pretty quickly.  Anyone know how long it took last year to fill?

6.5 miles for me in 72 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - did I kill the thread or what? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Wow - did I kill the thread or what? 

I think it goes back to the uninspired start to the daily. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Everyone must be recovering from the long weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Ha, I frequently feel like that when bringing up the end of the daily in the evening.

Aamos, if your car is really only 8 years old, there's something pretty weird going on. That seems relatively young to need a new drive shaft. We just replaced the engine in our 2001 pickup, and were thinking the old one should've lasted several more years.

Fun working conditions, Dave. Make sure you share the microwave and don't talk too loudly on the phone.

I hear Ribs had a good visit with the doc. Good to go, right?

Leslie's weekend was very impressive. Were those runs before the 50k just for the heck of it? Or training for something bigger in the future? Congrats on the PR for your 50k!!

I spent way too much time today sitting in meetings. Holy carp, I think someone's trying to do me in. Came home after work, changed and headed back to DH's office for a good run with fewer hills and better shelter from the ever-present-this-spring wind. Sure am tired of that... We even had smoke from the fires on the Kenai Peninsula in our valley this morning! That's some well-traveled smoke.... It cleared up by this afternoon though. Ran 5.6 miles tonight, slow first mile straight into the headwind, then the rest of the miles were more protected and a little faster. I'm still pretty sore from pulling roots yesterday, mainly my left shoulder. I clearly don't do enough physical labor...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Seattle folks,  looks as if you'll have the fun of a Jay visit next year!!!  Maybe there will be a race around then; be sure to post it!

that's downright scary as east coast j-o'clock would be around midnight out here.

Maybe some of us can stay awake late enough to join him though.

Jay - please promise (1) to walk all or part of a marathon or ultra with me

(but don't racewalk if you do),

(2) see if it's possible to walk through the squishy mud at enke's Bridal Trails Park

and (3)  take a ferry ride acrosss the Sound with divechief.

Is ribs tryin' to look like Boston Billy and a sub-2:10 or something?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Dogs are big on entitlements, I've learned.

grins,

A

One of the darn kids was like that as well. Fed her once and she expected it every week or so afterwards.

Maybe we should start a David fan club.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

One of the darn kids was like that as well. Fed her once and she expected it every week or so afterwards.