Masters Running

Final May Friday; 5.29.15 (Read 27 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I am very fortunate to have a smart, caring and giving group like you to give me good perspective on all kinds of issues, such as how to deal with a runner subject to frequent seizures in road races. I appreciate and value all of your input. As i said yesterday, our race is months away, so we have time to see what happens (or not) in other local races in which this runner competes.

Do those of you (not living in CO) have rain barrels at your downspouts or under a "V" in your roof? Ours are 55 gal. barrels, and they fill amazingly quickly even in light/moderate rains. With a threaded spigot at the bottom, you can hook up a hose or a soaker hose to water gardens when it is dry. You are not stopping the water from soaking into the ground - you are just letting it do that at more opportune times.

"Can I just add, I HATE team-building exercises at work.  Let's just play ball, y'know?" You're funny, Aamos! And you strike me as being such a great team player to begin with that one can understand how these exercises are wasted on you.

That is terrible about the woman in your neighborhood, Twocat, and I'm sorry that I can't offer any suggestions about what may be causing her to be so thin. However, whatever the issue is, I give her a lot of credit for getting out and walking as much as she does.

Wildchild, I'm sorry about your DH's splinter that became infected. I hope he'll be back home and healthy again soon.

I finally got reasonably-well caught up on my sleep enough to get up and out for a workout this morning. I went just a scootch over 6 RW miles in delightful 59F temps. I'm staying focused on increasing my cadence which, for a semi-old fart, doesn't come as easy as it might for some young 'uns. Sometimes I regret not having started racewalking earlier in my life. But most of the time I am fine with having started so late because it gives me good things to focus on, and because I have so much room for improvement that I think I can actually get a little faster, even as I'm getting older. Speaking of young 'uns, I'm going to be judging a couple of racewalking races that are part of a high school meet in Maine tomorrow. It'll be great to watch the kids go, and it will be fun working as a judge.

Have a greta Friday, and I wish fleet feet to everyone racing this weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the start, Jay, and I'm with you 100% on hating "team-building" exercises at work -- another thing I don't miss.

Ugh, Carolyn! It's easy to be casual about everyday injuries, but scary when something like that happens. I hope he recovers quickly.

Erika, what do you do about critter protection for your garden? Around here it's of course the white-tailed deer that we have to fence out. There was also a bunny explosion a few years ago, but then I started seeing coyotes occasionally and the bunny problem went away.

After yesterday's 34-mile ride in perfect weather conditions, I'm taking a full day off of major activity. Gotta mow the lawn, but that's about it.

Good running and a good weekend to everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning'

Roch, wear ear protection on that mower, 'kay?

Say, did you see where Anheuser-Busch stopped making beer in a plant in order to can fresh water to send to Texas?  I bet people'll be drinking to that! H2O to Texas

Speedy recovery to the DH, Carolyn.  Sounds most yukky.

And what about marauding people, Erika??  I am geeltee of mango sharing.  I share in whatever falls from the tree.  Found a new, really yummy variety on my running route.  And if I carry one in each hand, it's like weight work while running, right?

We continue to enjoy humidity below 50%, whee!  The highs are still in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s, but what a difference!

One World Trade Observatory opened to the public today.   Would you go?

4 weeks from today, Michigan!   Getting my mitten on!  ......or is there a better expression

Stumps, marj, henrun,  it is safe to read the sports news (sorry Ribs).

3 warmup and then 6 tempo miles with Speedsters last night, along with a 6 mile bagel run this am for me.  Taking advantage of the weather, I am.

Happy weekending, grins and good runs, cookouts and gardening,

A

Oh!  Meant to add this, a link to Science projects you can do with your kids or grandkids or on your own, looks as if you gardeners might especially be interested.    They look really interesting.       SciStarter

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Good morning dear friends.  Last Friday of the month. Yeahhh.

Aamos, I do have a tenant of the Housing Authority as one of my board member, which is by HUD regulations . Even if not, I would want to have the voice of the people we serve at the table anyway.

5 humid miles with the Constant Pacer, aka the Easy Pacer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If anyone has time to read this non-running, off-topic GS post, you'll probably be tireder than me from doing what we have planned to do today.  However, let me know if you have any other ideas on what he can do in the big city.

After yesterday making dams, rivulets, ponds, group volcanoes to destroy with buckets of water, feeding/chasing seagulls and pigeos, double-surrey bike rental, pizza, etc. at Alki Beach that kind of wore me out, today’s hohumer with GS on the monorail to the dinosaur exhibit at the Seattle Center with wide-screen movie about the humpback whales we saw on the whale-viewing cruise up there last summer, Butterfly House, 600 feet up the Space Needle that I watched going up for the World’s Fair from my college dorm in 1961/2, Seattle Fountain that my own grandfather used to take me to (where kids, and certain crazy adults, can run in and out of on this sunny,summery day), amphibious Duck Boat surprise that he won’t know drives into Lake Washington until it does, 1,000 feet up the Columbia Towers Vista View before wrapping up running up-and-down the ailes of the Children’s Room at the Seattle Public Library for dinosaur books, zoo animals for tomorrow’s finale at the zoo, playing on bank of kids’ computers, etc.  whew. I better take a pedometer.  No wonder ultra-marathons aren’t that bad. I wonder if WC has a GC-miles category.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Cripes, Tet - I'm exhausted reading that and it's only 8:22 here!

I like the idea of the runner being required to have a running buddy with a cell phone.  Makes perfect sense.

TSelbs - I'm "only" 49 and I feel I started out slow as molasses and I just keep getting slower.  It's frustrating, but then I have to remind myself that at least I'm out there.  But yeah, once in awhile I give into it.

Carolyn - Yikes!  That's scary business.  Hope he's feeling better soon. And I'm surprised the hospital let you take in other food, but I guess things have changed considerably from when my mom spent so much time in hospitals.  She hated hospital food, so my dad would sneak in McDonald's fish sandwiches, one of the only things she seemed able to tolerate or want whenever she was hospitalized, and he'd eat her hospital meal.  He figured they were paying for it, so someone may as well eat it.   Although I remember one year she was in on her birthday, so the hospital let us take her a jello "cake" for her - candles (unlit) and everything.  The hospital wouldn't let us take in a real cake.  I don't remember why.

6 miles this a.m. in foggy, drippy conditions.  Other than that, nothing too exciting happening here at the moment.

Have a good weekend ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Dinosaurs, duck boats and butterflies!           I want to go play with tet et al today.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

We did the Duck Boats tour in Seattle a number of years ago. I'm not usually one for touristy type stuff, especially in a town I used to live in, but we did enjoy that one.

Supposed to be low 90's here today and through the wknd. Glad I'm heading to TrackTown USA this afternoon where we should "only" be in the 80's.  Excited to meet and spend time with Liz and as always, it's great to see Renee again.  I think I've semi-decided that I'll likely switch to the 8K from the 30K on Sunday. My low back is better, but I'dd like to see it continue to get better and not set back because I tried to do something I'm really not trained for at the moment.  This wknd is more about spending time with Liz and Renee anyways, then trying to take on some big run.

I have a Garmin 305, which has not worked well for a long time. The beeper hasn't worked since about year 1 and now the whole watch goes off intermittently all the time. Sometimes I can't even get in a 2-3 mile run w/o it shutting off multiple times. So, I called Garmin about the cost of repair, which is $60, OR they said I could trade it in for $60 off a new watch. I am looking at  FR15. something more basic. Anyone have one? opinions?

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I think tselbs and Roach are great runners and I always read their posts to see how they did.  Tselbs gets in quite a few races and enjoys seeing his friends.  They appear to be getting what they need from our sport and I look up to both of them.

Thank you Anheuser for the offer of sending water to TX, but we're fine honestly.  Last night was the worst of all of the storms.  The park we run in is completely underwater so we ran local streets today, just over 2 miles for me, 3 for the Saint.

Interesting about you folks who hate team building exercises. By coincidence I just put up a post on my business site about when role play is ineffective.  Coincidence.

Racing a 5K tomorrow.  Got my swim fins all packed.

That big client in Cincinnati wants me to propose on 3 new deals, so maybe another dinner with the lovely Holly is on the horizon.  Spareribs

TammyinGP I would see if you can hold out on the Garmin watch swap for a bit.  Garmin has announced they will soon ship a new model the 225 I believe.  Unlike the current ones it will keep track of your heart rate without a strap!  Even if you do not directly train by heart rate, more and more programs are making use of the data to help you figure out what you may want to be doing.

My quads felt fine so I spent an hour on the elliptical.  Alas, I gave blood yesterday so it felt like I was on there for five hours!  Who would have thought blood was so important?  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

I want to be tet's GS.

Anniversary weathergasms here---anniversary of the tornado four years ago that is and all the local channels are watching the t-storm and storm activity closely. It's nothing like what TX and OK et al are experiencing, but yes weathergasms all the same!

First run since the marathon and all is okay---six gentle miles around the neighborhood. I was on the road Monday-Thursday and did sit-ups, push-ups and stretches, but just needed a break. I'll dial it down mileage-wise for a month and focus on speed and some of the shorter team races. Speaking of team, my teammate ultra-Amy is in France now and will set off at 3:30 am tomorrow for the 50 mile World Trail Championships. This is her second time on Team USA. So proud of her!

http://www.irunfar.com/2015/05/2015-iau-trail-world-championships-womens-preview.html

Scroll down a bit and you'll read all about her.

The kiddo came along on today's run and that was awesome. I leave again on Monday for work and then he leaves next Friday for the summer session at Mizzou. Time does fly

Prefontaine Classic this weekend....can't wait!

I'd go to One World Trade Observatory Aamos

Great article about role-plays Ribs. We use them as well as short burst exercises, case studies, noodles and all sorts of interactive adult-learner focused activity during our training workshops. We always do them in small groups or dyads though and thats easier for us to manage as facilitators and gets high marks from participants. The most impressive role-playing I've ever seen is conducted through human resources at Cornell University. They use actors and wow, are they phenomenal. As to "team-building" it depends for me.....lots of options!

evanflein

Yeah, Tet's GS is not going to want to go home. Good thing Tet has a lot of energy.

Roch, the critters I have to deal with most are the voles (like field mice). Especially when things start producing, they'll go "pick" things and bury them in a cache in the garden. I found a pile of tiny potatoes one year with some bean pieces and carrot pieces mixed in. I'm sure those voles were pretty disappointed thinking they had winter all taken care of only to find it was all gone.... I put up plastic borders around the vole areas since they don't climb and they don't dig down very far. You know that corrugated plastic used on greenhouses and some roofs to let sun in? We got some sheets of that and cut it in strips about a foot or so high. Set them around the garden using binder clips to fasten them together and *violin* you have a vole fence. Seemed to work a couple years ago; didn't do it last year. I'll do it again this year though as we have a lot of voles (and rabbits) this year. Don't think it'll help if rabbits decide to come in, but I've never had them before. Moose are the big destructive pests and it's hard to rebound from a moose visit. I stopped planting snap peas a few years ago because I think that just attracts moose.

Amy, human raiders aren't a problem, other than when we have tenants with children. It seems they just can't resist getting in there and picking stuff or pulling stuff up. We don't have any kids now so hopefully the current tenants (all 22 or older) will leave it alone!

We have some older runners around here who are truly an inspiration to keep on doing what you love to do. I hope I'm out there running at whatever pace I can when I'm in my 70's!

DH heads to Dallas tonight for almost a week. I asked if he's packing flippers. At least a rain coat. Sure hope you guys can dry out soon, the rain you've had is just crazy!

Hey CNYrunner! Glad you got to run with the kiddo today! And that Ultra-Amy is so amazing....

Nice day here, looks like a nice weekend and then next week will be cloudy with highs in low 60's. Hmmm... record heat in May and a cool June? Hope it's just the first week. I'll head out for a few miles this afternoon then home to plant spuds tonight!

Marathon Maniac #957

After almost all day of slicing and dicing and what-not, I am finally almost ready for the graduation party we are having, which starts at 5.  Time to run out for some ice for the coolers of water and sodas, swing by the library to trade out this week's selection, and then home for the final clean up and assembling of the food.

5.5 miles for me this morning in 74 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...hi guys//........well, the store is sold,,,,,,,,,

I am relieved, depressed, and exhausted.

reminds me of my HoneyMoon.........................n0t

.-================

...............no work outs this week, just moving 200-lbs of brown glass to the recycle center, and 300-lbs of cardboard and plastic bottles....

then I have to give away $10,000 in fixtures

maybe poolrun tomorrow and bikeride Sunday

...................good running guys.................WATCH OUT, I MAY BE WALKING SOON..........

Fair Warning.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....