Masters Running

Happy 2's Day - Master Runs and Fun Stuff (Read 453 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Gang... Eliz. you make me smile Smile Slo, again thanks for the picture yesterday...and glad I have a Tri Bud here at RA that "gets" the insanity. As Erika pointed out yesterday, I can't find the picture of Mariposai that people talked about...if she was in it, it had to be a beautiful picture indeed Wink Jlynne, thanks for your kind words yesterday...you rock Bill, hope you are well rested Ribs....I am starting to "get it" Hey Steve, I do that jumping up and down thing you mentioned, everyday. It really does help to feel if there are some sore - aggravated areas to be concerned about...you are so smart about running!!! Ya know how you have one of "those perfect runs" every now and then...I had one last night. It was a splendid night with the temp at 65 degrees - sunny - cool south east breeze - Spring in the air - the smell of families cooking out - birds chirping their harmonious tunes...a great night for a run. Right now I really have no run schedule, but just trying to runs lots of easy miles...will need to change that soon. After work I headed home for a well anticipated run, and what a nice night it was. I started my run, and from the very start, I felt "light on my feet". After my mile or so warm up my ave pace was around 8:00...too fast for me right now in my training. I have 9:00 pace in my mind now as easy, so my mind and legs had to reach a compromise...8:30 pace which felt so silky smooth and easy...cool I thought, as I need to be running easy. BTW, for what ever reasons, I ALWAYS feel the best running on Monday night....just do no matter how hard the weekend runs were, including 30 mile weekends. I felt like I was on cruise control and was running very light on my feet...like running on feathers. When I got 1.5 miles from home on White River Blvd, I noticed many things - the beautiful river on my left - the fact that I was running so tall and strong with great form - that I didn't care about the jackasses in their cars getting waaay to close to me in "my lane" (wish they knew the simple Joy of running) - I noticed the gorgeous sunset that was brilliant in the distance. When I reached 10 miles I looked onto the horizon and wondered...how far could I run tonight...I could of ran 10 more miles I felt, as I dwelled up on the inside with a few tears, because... just because, I am a runner. I realized more than ever, that running really is a gift that we all need to embrace and cherish... because sometimes it gets taken from us for what ever the reasons. Which makes it even more special, when we return to the gift of running again. Oh yeah - 10 easy miles - 1:24:38 - 8:28 thankful pace. I am a Blessed Person and Runner! I have lost track who are injured right now...sorry. But to you my Fren's, there IS hope... and if stubborn Tim can get through his injuries, you most certainly can too, really. Thanks to everyone, and Twokitty the most...as he helped me through something he personally went through too. Buddie, I hope you can get out there run strong too...soon. Ok, I can be chatty some times...but if I am, it's because of something I have a passion about. Hope you all have a great day...you choose Ya know. Why not choose greatness instead of mediocrity today...really. Your good Friend TimBo Seattle is looking better everyday....oh, and the practical jokes, he he Big grin Happy TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Tim - that run sounds simply glorious! I'm so happy to see you healed and running so well and so strong! I expected to find it raining when I got up this morning, but is was dry. To make up for the rain, the wind was very blustery with sustained winds around 20 mph. While running the first mile I was trying to figure out a route that would help me avoid the winds as much as possible. I finally decided just to reverse my route, which oddly enough, made for new scenery. The last 1.25 miles was directly into that wind and I had to just walk a few times as it was almost blowing me backwards. Then just into mile 5 there is a person ahead of me starting to walk down our long (.75 mile) dirt road. All dark clothing of course and luckily Brinkley spotted him first. I rounded way around him as I got my pepper spray out of my pocket and determined which way I needed to stand so the wind wouldn't blow it in my face should I need to use it at all. As I'm passing him, in my refective gear, headlamp on and light flashing on my arm - he says "You startled me!". WHAT!!! ??? I just dug in and got home safely. 5 miles - 10:09 pace - 166 avg. HR 10:07 / 152 9:44 / 161 9:58 / 169 10:25 / 173 - Windy! 20 mph - had to walk some 10:32 / 175 - Windy and Person scared me - best pace 8:03!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Tim---nice to see the joy return for you I am glad all is well Mary and you didn't need to use your pepper spray 7 miles for me with a triathlete friend at 5:15 a.m. under starry skies, 16º, and a few rude wind gusts. S tried to convince me to throw in a 15-minute tempo segment at 7:15 pace, but I said No Way and told him to go ahead and then double back for me. I must confess I was sorely tempted and probably held back more from fear of falling into a pothole at the zero dark hour of the morning. All felt fine and we held it at 8:15 pace overall. Run strong and heal well
        PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I was out last night in my car, trying to get a view of a nice sunset and the White River, and some guy with a grin on his face was running along the road and blocking my view. So I almost ran him over - he was getting too close to my lane anyway. 11 easy miles while watching Terminator II this morning. I still say the best line isn't "Hasta la vista, baby," or even "I'll be back." It's right after Arnold has been pummelled he says "I need a vacation." I know what you mean, Arnie.
            pbj.... Big grin
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

pbj.... Big grin
              So that was YOU....I have you side mirror if ya want it back Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Great run Tim! You're learning Grass Hoppah. Today would normally be Intervals day, but coming so soon after my "spirited" 20 miler on Sunday, discretion told me to forego that and just run easy. The legs are feeling a little bit tired, though aerobically things could not be much better. So I went out for 10.1 miles in 1:28 for an 8:41 average. 4 or 5 mile were at MP or slightly below, but the winds had me settled in to just over MP for most of the run. There were a good number of comments yesterday about the "Brain Training for Runners" book. Last summer when I was trying to figure out what training plan to change to, that book and the "Run Less, Run faster" book were my final two choices. What really appealed to me about both of these books was their premise that you need to train your mind and body to run at MP or faster. For me at least, Eugene showed me that MP won't just happen (for 26.2 miles) if I've been running most of my LR's at MP+10%. The FIRST book had a bit more emphasis on weekly speedwork and tempo runs, as well as much cross-training. So I chose it as I also felt the need to get a little faster and a lot stronger. Don't get me wrong, the Pfitz program has MP runs sprinkled throughout the program especially the last month before taper. But for me, I like the idea of running many miles at or very near MP. I need to feel comfortable and confident that MP is very nearly my easy pace. Today's run is an example of running MP on a day where I was just letting it happen. Your mileage may vary. (Pun definitely intended.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Some good runs already today. Take it easy there, Mary, but it looks like you can handle those situations. I'm feeling pretty good this morning after yesterday's long run, but now have a bit of a cold to shake off. So, no running today, but here’s one of my runs from last week: Out of the hotel (arrow) to the Rue de Rivoli; along that street, then cut across in front of the Louvre to the river; along the quai past the Louvre, then across Pont Neuf to the Ile de la Cite; left along the river, then right and past the entrance to Sainte Chapelle, left to make a loop through the courtyard of Notre Dame; across the Petit Pont to Rive Gauche and the Latin Quarter; back along the other side of the river to Pont du Carrousel and the Louvre again; then a short run through the Tuileries gardens, past statues of gods and goddesses (Greco-Roman, not Boomer!) and back to the hotel before starting another day with my DW of many miles of walking, museum visits, and sightseeing. Life is good... Big grin Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

Doug... "Runnin' in Rochester, MI ", that doesn't look like Rochester, MI. Care to tell us more?? morning everybody. Bill I'm glad to hear you liked that book. A trusted endorsement. Enke too.... you know, I was also looking again at his core stuff yesterday morning. What bothers me is that it is so similar, even in the subtleties, to what my PT has me doing now. I probably should have been doing them months ago. Sorry you felt pukey. It seems weird that that's been going on so long... SR... no more dizziness? What causes that? Glad you had such a nice run. Mary, that would be scary. still.. you shouldn't have startled that guy. Wink nono, one more Smile. glad your DH is excited! Trying to have a cut back week. 10 min. on the elliptical, 4.05 mile run, 9:48 ave. pace, 8:41 max, 156 ahr, 177 max. miles 10:20, 9:27, 9:34, 9:38, ended at 9:01. Am a little sore today. then 10 min. on the bike, front & side planks, & reverse crunches.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Nice run Bill. Doug, retired life seems to be agreeing with you 10.52 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace....on track for a monthly mileage PR. DW & I are celebrating our 24th year anniversary today...time really flies. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

RochParisrunner! Mais oui, La vie est bonne. What a perfect time to be there and it sounds like you are having a marvelous time. I remember asking about running routes when I was there for a conference. The desk clerk said: "Ah, Le footing? Is this something you do all the time? You must relax."....ha! Happy anniversary Peter!
                          Hey Teresa where are you? I just thought I would throw this out there, (I also put it on the Maine Runners Forum). If you want to run this one why not register now and get a free pair of running shoes. Woops sorry MTA - The LL Bean 10K! I was the first confirmed registered runner and kept refreshing my screen until I think I saw 163 and then they stopped updating that...so I don't know how many they have now. Best of Luck
                            Good morning, all! Late for work, so this will be a quick, drive by post. MLR this morning on the treadmill - 9 miles with AHR of 146. Not too cold, but too darned windy to get outside. dg - nice workout this morning. What marathon are you doing in October?? Maybe more time to catch up later...........

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

hey Maine--which race might you be referring to?? Did I miss something? Doug--very neat run. just out of curiouslity--do you have to do anything special to use the Garmin out of the states?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Tim—after all your misery, it’s great to see you having joyful runs again. Mary—that’s a mini-adventure this morning! Glad nothing came of it. Byll—I’m with you about the value of running at or near MP more often and for longer. I didn’t know if I was being really stupid doing that this training cycle but I felt much better about it when both Ray and CNY posted things about doing LRs with large MP segments. If the pros do it.... Roch—that is one great run! I’m jealous. Peter—happy anniversary! Nice run, too. I’m heading out on the road this week, working in Baltimore. Not quite Roch’s Paris trip, though. 5.3 miles today @ 8:09. My legs felt great and were geared up for tempo Tuesday. I had to explain to them that it had been cancelled this week, due to the weekend race. They were disappointed and acted out by sneaking in a couple of sub-MP miles when I wasn’t paying attention. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.