Masters Running

Tuesday, July 1st Daily (Read 544 times)

Good morning. Whatever Eric did to RunningAHEAD is certainly working well this morning. I clicked on and was at the website instantly. This makes me think that some of the times when I think that it is my computer that is a problem for being slow, maybe the website that I am trying to get on is really the problem. Once again, an open "Thank you" to Eric for this website and the constant work that you do for the running community. We were not an easy group to accomodate when we landed here last year. You not only made us feel welcome, you have continued to provide a great place for us to share our running life with friends. Just a reminder that it would be good for us to show our appreciation by making a donation to the cause through PayPal. He does all of this on his own and from personal funds. This is the beginning of July. Don't forget to post the miles that you enjoyed in the month of June. That is always fun to see just how many miles we have put in over the month. It sounds like WRFB and PDR are having a great vacation. Lou is even bragging on how Harriet looks in her swimsuit. Wasn't it Lou who recently said "this thread is useless without pictures"? I am only asking the question. Have fun out there you two. DickyG.......after us talking about the Virginia Ten Miler a couple of days ago, they announced yesterday that a new corporate sponsor for the next three years. Genworth Financial Assurances is taking over with plans to improve the race. Hopefully this will help them put this race back on the map as a viable race. Speaking of Ten Mile races, I had a dream on Sunday night about running in my home town in Maine where I grew up. This drew on my memory of running the roads near town as part of a gym class those years ago. When I woke yesterday, I checked the local Maine newspaper on line and discovered they had held a Ten Mile race in that town, using the very road I dreamt about. Freaky.....freaky. Thanks to each one giving excellent Race Reports. They are an enjoyable read for us all. Have a GREAT day. Enjoy your house guests......kids home for the summer.....summer projects......holiday week.......and of course....your RUN. Happy Canada Day, Canadians. Joey
    Vista
      It's 3:00 AM on the west coast as I type this,just getting ready for our trip to Hawaii...I hope everyone has a great week It was 3 years ago today that I quit smoking...thank goodness...and my runaversary is on the 10th You people are very precious to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate the support and friendship you have given me... Gordon
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        morning Joey -- freaky dream!! where in Maine was the race? Gordon - congrats on your runaversary and your 3years without smoking - that's an awesome accomplishment!! have fun in Hawaii i tried to get on several times yesterday but must have been during the upgrade so here's yesterday's run for me: 7 miles in the hot muggies -- kept the pace slow and alternated 5 minutes walking with 15 minutes running but after the first 2 sets did have to sneak in a few more walking breaks during the running segments -- it was just amazingly hot and humid mid-day..........took 85 minutes but that's ok -- i was out there then hit the gym for some stretching, upper body machines and core/PT work.............feel a little achy in that left mid-butt area today but will take it easy and just do PT work today happy July 1st!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all Smile Thanks Joey for another great start off. And you are right, the site seems a lot quicker this morning...thank you Eric!!! lyndenrunner, hope you have a fabulous trip....I am envious Big grin And great job on your life style change as I can relate myself, after losing over 100 pounds and feel great."You people are very precious to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate the support and friendship you have given me" Very well said Gordon and I feel the say way about all the wonderful people here. 10.5 easy miles last night at 8:46 pace - nice run in IRC. Wish me luck tonight as I have a date with this gal I graduated with 30 some years ago and haven't seen her since.... She was a cheerleader and I was a football player, I thought she was super hawt then, but that was a long time ago and you and me both know how people change...hope things have not went Southward too much with this gal Cool Just kidding...sorta Big grin. We have talked and Emailed each other a few times, and she admits to being a prissy woman who like the finer things in life...sounds high maintenance to me Shocked Bill, glad you had a good week running last week. Probably a smart thing to skip a Fall Marathon and just have fun running for a while with no pressure. Congrats to Carolyn for a fantastic 1/2 M, and everyone else who had awesome races, no mater how fast or slow you thought you ran....no such thing as running slow to me what so ever. Holly, cycling can be an awesome form of X Training...has saved me many times. Karin, our runs were almost identical yesterday. Well, hope a wonderful day....hey, this is sorta Hump to the one's who get Friday off Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

After giving blood on Sunday I went out for a cautious, short run - not sure what being a pint low would do. But I ended up feeling really good. 5 easy miles in 46 minutes. It's amazing the difference between 80 degrees and humid and today's 74 degrees and humid. Today felt much easier and much less sweaty. My weight was up to 184 pounds this morning, after the run. Now, where is that Weight Loss thread at? They announced an inaugural HM in Ft. Lauderdale to be held in November. They're having a registration blitz tomorrow morning - $29 for the 1st 131 registrants. One of them's going to be me! Congratulations to Gordon on quitting smoking. And also on a very successful three years of running. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Gordon – congratulations! Deez – way to tough it out in the midday heat. Breger - I love the HM distance - you'll do great! Still trying to find a way to have my cake and eat it too, I went for a 60-minute bike ride this morning. It didn’t seem to stress the sore butt/thigh area, but I guess I know later. No telling how long it will take for this thing to heal completely, and I’m hoping to use the bike for cross-training as I cut back on the running mileage for a bit. DD turns 6 years old today. I baked a chocolate cake last night, and tonight I’ll make her favorite dinner – pancakes and bacon, and then I’m going to help her make and decorate her own stepping stone for the garden. Then we might need to go for another bike ride to work off all that sugar. Big grin Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Nothing! No run, no PT, no contractors working in the basement, no landscapers running equipment outside my window, no appointments! I am going to work all day, and I am going to enjoy it. Shocked My weight is up too. Now that I have found that diet and exercise doesn't work, what is left???? I had dropped about 10 pounds since my hospital visit in February, but it's been creeping up the last couple weeks for no good reason.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthday to Holly's DD! Sounds like a fun filled day! Out for 6 miles this morning with my neighbor. Left at 6:30 and saw quite a few people out and about. Nice morning - 56 degrees and NO humidity! 9:58 avg. pace and 164 avg. heart rate. Now for a morning full of window and screen washing - woohoo! Happy Twos-Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Boomers. Woa! Nice new additions to an already great website. Thank you for all your hard work, Eric! 3 short miles this morning in 27:20. Overslept after staying up late last night to watch a movie I've already seen 10 or 15 times. Tim - good luck on the date tonight! Bodies may have "gone south," but hopefully, the good person is still there. Make sure you tell us how things went. Holly - proud of you for cross-training and trying to heal your injury instead of trying to run through it. Sounds like the best option right now. Have fun with DD's party tonight. Mmm - cake AND pancakes. Don't you wish older people could eat like that all the time? As usual, another good start to our day by Joey. Thanks for the positive words. Gordon, have a great time in Hawaii, and congrats on the quit smoking anniversary. Dave, sounds like we're all up "a few pounds." It's getting to the point where I hate getting on the scale. How can we run every day and gain weight? Confused Off to work - only 2 more days for the week. Enjoy your Tuesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning to all. While I agree that the site seems to be quite fast in loading, am I the only one who's noticing a dramatic change in structure? Like no lines between posts and all my smilies are vertical, among other things. Makes it a little hard to read. Maybe a couple of bugs to shake out?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

3 smoking fast miles for me last night. I don't know what came over me, but I just wanted to run a little faster. Slow, for most of you, but fast for me. I even got to put a different color on my training log...coooool. I'm not over-doing it by any means, it was just closer to my singularly defined race pace. This web site is the coolest place and as I try to make myself more at home in this virtual world, I'll add my thanks to Eric! lyndenrunner- have a great trip, we're thinking about Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary in a few years. Holly- I love making birthday cakes for my kids. I always surprise them with not letting them see the cake until it is lit with candles. They really look forward to it, as do I. Have fun, my kids are 13 and 11...they grow up sooo fast. spareribs- Take care of yourself. I had an episode with a cardiologist this year as well and before getting a healthy nod, it was a little unnerving, especially since what was going through my mind was the thought that the increased exercise this year was causing the problems.
                        dg.

Very zippy site! Thanks Eric!! & thanks Vista, for starting us. Gordon, that was so nice. the same to you. congratulations on both of your anniversaries. Have a wonderful trip. Denise, that was a great workout. Yep, be careful today. Mary, enjoy. Wink. it's a perfect day for it. I do think it sounds fun. i'll help. no humidity! almost unheard of around here, isn't it. Seems like early it's usually around 96%. Holly, {{{ }}}. send birthday wishes to DD. I love the stepping stone idea. Jeanne, I avoid the scale. Seemed like it always depressed me & i'd do worse. When I went to my dr. appt. yesterday I had to put "?" for weight. Smile. Overall I'm doing better than I was, but then not so good the last week. Seems consistency is the key. Can we buy that online? Ribs, I hope today is good for you. Are you trying to avoid stress? Or at least, stressful reactions? this should have been a gym day, better yet a running day! IRC, that's for sure. I did a little over an hour of a mix of things that seemed toe friendly, mainly it was Mark Vergesten's prehab. I like that a lot. Sue, welcome back! I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite the air. Thanks for asking... sort of a long story but the short version is I hurt my foot. Ok, slightly longer.. i've had really arthritic toes for 20 years, maybe they're bunions. but more on top than to the side. My x-rays were awful!! The doctor almost had fun showing me.. he showed me the left foot, bad, joint is solid, with bone spurs on top. then.. "look at this"... on the right, the bone spurs have a hook.?? So I'm all ready for talk like a pirate day. When is that? Anyway. I've obviously run with this, am used to it & know more or less what to do. Recently the position i've been in for gardening (sod removal)... carefully avoiding hurting anything, I thought, put a lot of pressure on the right foot between the 2 toes. I really think it could be a muscle tear. (swollen). The doctor thought it more likely that I just irritated the joint even more, or that it's a stress fracture on the second metetarsal. No more running at least until I see him again next week, & I even have to be careful with the elliptical, too much time on them hurts. Sorry. I didn't mean to vent. It's one of those days that is so beautiful it's humbling. So I'm happy all over. Big grin.

Marathon Maniac #3309

3 smoking fast miles for me last night. I don't know what came over me, but I just wanted to run a little faster. Slow, for most of you, but fast for me. I even got to put a different color on my training log...coooool. I'm not over-doing it by any means, it was just closer to my singularly defined race pace.
                            Sweet....nicely done, and happy to see you posting here Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Healing Vibes...{{{{ SR ))))) A cool 69F this morning...almost chilly LOL 10.24 miles of hills @ 9:14 pace...wonderful run today and the last mile felt way better than the first 5. Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tim: Good luck on your date. I'm not sorry to have left those years far, far behind. Why don't you show up sweat-soaked in your running outfit? That will tell the tale of how "prissy" she is. Might as well weed 'em out quick. Big grin Mary: I might have asked this before, but have you started a marathon schedule yet? If so, which one are you going with? Gordon: Congrats on the smoke-free years. If you quit only 3 years ago, you must have had quite a few years of smoking. Great to see you've overcome the effects that quickly. A Happy Birthday to Holly's DD! These are the primo years for having fun with your kids (which ends at about 13). As mentioned by Mary and dg, IRC here in Michigan this morning with temps in the 50s, clear sky, and no humidity. Ran a single 11-minute mile just to make sure I still could.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"