Masters Running

August 14th Runs - Brighter Days Are Ahead! (Read 512 times)

I'm getting ready to head off to work and figured I would check in this morning. I get to start the morning thread even though I haven't run and will be taking an unplanned day off today. I stopped by to visit my friend and unofficial coach Joel last night to bring him some dinner my DW made up. I don't think I mentioned on here that Joel is suffering from pneumonia. Anyways he is doing a little better, but is still struggling with his appetite and since he is alone now, I just want to be sure that he is getting some good food into his body. And of course I was missing running and talking with him too! Big grin Well after a brief discussion on my runs of this week and my upcoming race Joel suggested I simply take today off and run just 3 easy miles tomorrow with a few strides thrown in. He thinks that would be perfect to set myself up for a good race on Saturday...so I figured I would follow his very wise advice...hence no running today. On a side note (Brighter Days Are Ahead) it looks as though the rainy weather here in the northeast may be coming to an end with Saturday being the final day with thunderstorms and afternoon showers in the forecast for awhile, we can only hope. Cool Good runs all.
      MR: I do hope your rains are clearing out. In our week up there, we certainly became tired of the dreary weather. On the other hand, it made the one sunny day on Cadillac Mountain pretty special. I also hope your friend has a speedy recovery. You're nice to check in on him and it bought you a day off! 8 miles this morning for me at 9:52 pace in cool temps with a bit of fog.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice way to start us of Mainerunnah! Enjoy your rest day and I hope you get some sunshine! We could really use some rain here, but I am kind of happy it has been dry. Better running that way. I was out for 4 with the Brinkster today. Why do cats slowly walk accross the road, then hunker down just to the side, still in plain site, rather than running into the woods for cover? Fartlek somewhat avoided since I saw the cat first. Tongue 9:50 average pace with my lowest average heart rate ever - 148!! 9:57 / 127 9:45 / 152 9:43 / 157 9:53 / 159 Cheers!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

mainerunnah, try to enjoy your day off running...which is always tough for me. Hope for a speedy recovery for your friend / coach, and it's nice how you are taking care of him Smile I guess I am lucky because we have had no rain for a couple of weeks now, and the temps have been cooler. Nice run this morning predawnrunner....in the foggy conditions. Wow Mary....as a person who always pays attention to your HR, that is super low for you Smile Nice run WOO WOO - 6 "almost" normal feeling miles for Holly Smile Smile Smile That is awesome girl....just keep being patient and smart, and you will be back full strength before you know it. That seems like a good plan for Sunday! WOW back at ya Steve...very nice run and pacing Smile Thanks again Buddie with you help with my heel issues....nice of you to care and give me ideas and pointers to help with my problem. Tough run yesterday Erika. Hope you will heed the advise and concern you give Holly and watch that foot of yours. I am sure it was just one of those off days, and your next run will be great. I guess I am different, but I never eat during a run, but sounds like you need to. You also have been doing some impressive running and racing lately too. I imagine your body was just tired...and letting you know it. Also, shame on the coach for saying such mean things....that's "old school" coaching and is "stoopid" coaching for youngsters. I had one of my better workouts in a while....my mid week long run with 1000 M repeats. The plan for the repeats Ribs has me doing is 4:30 at 7:15 pace....which I ran a little quicker because my legs felt great. Well, actually running the 4 miles to the track my legs felt a little tired and heavy, but the speed work woke them up nicely Smile In cycling we call it "shocking the system" and feel better afterwards. And boy was it hot out, but with lower humidity, but the UV index must have been at the highest level. 12 miles - 1:33:57 - 7:50 ave overall pace (felt like running more miles as I was just floating along at a good clip on the way home, but still need to watch my heel problem, which is sore this morning but OK> 1000 M repeats 4:17 - 6:53 pace - I tried to run by feel,which I usually miserably fail at Roll eyes 4:26 - 7:08 pace 4:28 - 7:11 pace 4:27 - 7:09 pace 4:24 - 7:04 pace 4:26 - 7:08 pace. This workout left me wanting more, which is a good thing and approach. I think I need my repeats times lowered (hint hint), but Mr Ribs wants me to run a 5K so he can adjust my times, but there are not very many 5K's in the summer time here. But there was one last Sat that I knew nothing about till yesterday (thanks to Holly)...and my legs felt zippy last Sat too Angry. You know, these Olympics are about to wear me out with lack of sleep...but really enjoying them this year more than ever. I think most nights I fall asleep in my lazy boy, then make it to bed at 2:00 or 3:00 am. Hope all have a great day,with what ever life brings your way today...and remember..... Obstacles are those things that get in the way, when you take your eyes off your goals. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Deez4boyz – good news! Erika – tough, tough run for you yesterday. You might want to consider putting some Zone bars in your purse or glove compartment (I’m famous for having a varied selection of snack bars in my purse for when we get hungry away from home. Not ideal, but better than fast food.) And that soccer coach – I’d be hard put not to give him a piece of my mind for being so cruel to those boys. .5 mile walking warm-up, then a 6-mile run for me today in a lovely 60 degrees (ave pace 10:03). Other than the fact that the perceived effort was fairly high for the pace, this was the first “almost normal-feeling” run in a long time. Gym tomorrow, rest day Saturday, then Sunday, I’m going long, baby… Big grin ...Okay, maybe not THAT long...I'll play it by ear and listen to my body, I promise... Actually I plan to stay on the treadmill in the garage, so if it starts to hurt I can stop without being stuck miles from home.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! Sunshine for Mainrunnah! Nice HR Hopful! Tim.. WOW! Nice run. Erika.. carpy runs happen. Also, you've got a really strong kid there! WTG good for him! IRC here 60F, 77% Humidity. Tempo day. Tempo over a 300 ft rolling up and then down; 3 mi WU with Tory 9:30, 9:32 and 9:04 then Tempo effort: 7:37 159 8:03 163 (all uphill) 8:03 164 (ugh, mostly uphill) 7:58 165 (finally the top!) 7:38 167 (down but with one steep hill up) 7:07 168 (flying down!) 7:16 168 (still flying) 7:45 161 (ease off to coast home) The 8 miles averaged 7:41 (almost a PBJ Special.. where is PBJ?) Overall 11.2 mi in 1:30:44 (8:07 pace AHR158, max 183)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

5 miles at recovery pace. Nice and slow so I don't overdo it. My 20 yo DS and his GF are in town for a few days. Last evening I had to work a little late on a late-breaking software issue. Shoveled part of a pizza in my mouth and then headed off for choir practice. The kids never made a sign they were awake. Doors closed, etc. etc. When my DW got home, DS told her with an odd look on his face "Uh Mom. Daddy didn't make dinner." DW said "Okay. So? Do you expect me to make dinner?" DS: "Ummm yeah." DW: "Well sorry. Just got my paws done and I'm not cooking. There's chili stuff in the cupboard you're welcome to". Sheesh. DW said the look on his face was priceless. Like "how could he do that?" DS is learning though. He's planning to make all of us chili for dinner tonight. Bill PS: Erika, be careful. You've run 3 hard days in a row. Don't.Do.That. No wonder yesterday was a tough run. Chill now.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Last night I was thinking of doing an easy 3 in the morning, but when the alarm went off I was pretty tired, so instead of snooze I hit the off button and got another hour and a half of sleep. At that point I was running late and thought about putting my easy 3 off until Thursday, but work didn't sound all that good, so I decided to run anyway. As I was getting dressed I realized it was already Thursday! Big grin That's what happens when you take Wednesday as a vacation day. So an easy 3 miles this morning and it's still in the 50's. It's been a great August for running (so far).

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Tim!! Good job this morning!! Dave59 - will you please change your avatar? I really want to eat a donut every time I see one of your posts! Evil grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Denise—welcome news! Erika—tough run…and weird coach. I’m curious because I’m experimenting with fueling, what do you normally snack on during a run? Tim—great run…but get some sleep, man! Holly—great to see you running so well but don’t go nuts Sunday! Perch—man, you put some killer runs together…day after day after day. 12 miles total on my hilly course. Warm-up mile @ 8:51 + 11 miles @ 8:12. Good effort for me on this one. Muggies are back but temps are still moderate for this time of year. Got up early to get this one in…geez, it’s really dark now (we have no street lights). More evidence that running makes you stupid: I’m near the end of my run about a half mile from home on our gravel road which is technically a state road. To my surprise, I see two guys in safety vests picking up trash on the roadside. I slow to a trot. “Good morning, do you guys work for the state?” They look at each other, hesitate, and say, “Uh, no the County.” “Oh. I always volunteer for the trash pickups here; I didn’t realize the County did its own. That’s great. Thanks.” I pick up the pace and I’m off. A couple hundred yards down the road it dawns on me: these guys are prisoners from the County jail a few miles away…which would explain the matching blue denim shirts. D’oh!

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

It was a long night of Olympic-watching, followed by my H waking me from a dead sleep to tell me he couldn't sleep Confused, to hearing my 19 mo son take off in the middle of the night for parts unknown in the house. Got a bit of sleep and then was screamed awake by 19 mo old son standing at my side of the bed. "MOM" at the top of his lungs. Got him in bed. Fell asleep. Alarm went off at o'dark thirty and I stumbled downstairs in the darkness to hydrate a bit before heading out for a 7 miler. Who comes flying down the stairs behind me? 19 mo old son. Followed quickly by 4 yr old daughter. It was 5:30 A.M. I was tired. So, we all cuddled on the couch and watched CNBC and finally H woke up. I had already looked at my schedule and figured I could swap in a rest day here, but since it was still before 7 and not very hot, I jumped up and quickly got dressed. Skipped the shoes and ran to the beach. Got called a "freak" by some guy hanging out at the beach access ramp. Made me chuckle. Ran upbeach then downbeach, and then met up with a guy who had just crossed the wide soft sand with his son in a double jogger. We chatted and ran together for awhile. He was just winding down a 20 miler. He is on vacation and really digging our flat surfaces, 'cept for the soft sand of course. Ended up with 3.5 mi total. FANTASTIC! Now, I'm still on schedule for the week, just will need to do my 7 miles either tomorrow or Sat. Don't know how I'll feel after driving to see my Dad in hospice (not the emotional drain, just the dead legs I get from 5 hrs driving), so I'll figure out my schedule by feel the rest of this week. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning, all! MR - you are a good friend! Wishing Joel a speedy recovery. Denise - excellent news - I'm so happy for you! Dave - congratulations for sleeping in - sometimes you just gotta do that. Twocat - So is your DW running the race this weekend??? Strange run for me this morning. I headed for the track for some mile repeats. Towards the end of the first warmup mile I checked my HR thinking it would be in the high 130's or low 140's. It was 177 which I immediately wrote off to being an anomaly. A few strides later I looked again and it was in the mid-180's. I stopped to check my pulse, and the numbers were accurate. I was going to scrap the repeats, but then the heart rate dropped back to normal. After a year of absence, the hot flashes have returned, and I suspect I spiked a flash during the time my heart was racing. Interval times were still a bit off. 2 mile warmup, repeats of 8:40, 8:37 and 8:22 with half mile jogs in between and a 2 mile cooldown for an average pace of 9:21 and 165 average HR. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning, everyone. Staying up for the olympics? Can't do it -- we have been getting to bed by 9:00 every night, given the early running hours we do. I have to tell you I'm getting a bit sick of tape-delayed synchronized diving, although last nights cycling time trials were a bit more interesting. Fog? I didn't see any fog. I wonder where that was -- PDR ran further and was on different roads at maybe a somewhat lower elevation, so maybe that solves the mystery. Nice workout, TimBo. And Tramps -- that was a very nice run. Holly - nice coming back run -- like others have said please be careful about ramping up too quickly. EZPZ 5 miles for me, first 3 at recovery pace, and the next two "easy". Overall I think it was 5.1 miles, 44:57 for 8:54/mi pace, AHR 138. Have a great run or whatever today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning everyone. 7.2 miles this morning at a 9:46 pace. Leg is still not 100% and lingering cold issues. Still, like Holly, it feels good to get some longer runs in. I even made it up the two big hills on my route today without having to stop and walk. Some great runs by lots of you folks today. Dave - I agree with Mary. Maybe you need to change your avatar to some creamed spinach or something. That doughnut is too tempting! Sounds like everyone is staying up too late to watch the olympics. Did you all hear that Michael Phelps takes in something like 12,000 calories every day? Think of all the pizza and light beer that would cover!! Enjoy your Thursday, everyone. Jeanne

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lou, was that THE Kristen Armstrong? Holly.. nice 6 miles almost feeling normal! Remember this dialog? Big grin posted: 7/29/2008 at 10:38 AMQuote Quote from perchcreek on 7/28/2008 at 5:23 PM: Thanks again Holly. You should have about 2 more weeks before you miraculously heal. Perch - if this turns out to be true, I'll send you the biggest box of cookies you ever saw...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova