Masters Running

40's on the Run -- Week of 1/13/08 (Read 678 times)

Melissa-I live in Palm Bay. My entire family is here. My sister is the furthest away, she lives in Ocala. Half of my husbands family is here also, so......here we are.
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Y'all that train in snow and sub 50 degree temps are amazing. I'm a total cold wimp!
      **Hijacked from another thread**: ......, do you have snow and drifts to deal with? No? Suck it up and get out there! (two weeks ago I did 16.4 miles in the snow at -2 avg temp...) (just had to throw that in there...) I know she was directing it to someone else....but it feels like I'm the one who needs to listen! Roll eyes
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

50 halfs by age 50

**Hijacked from another thread**: ......, do you have snow and drifts to deal with? No? Suck it up and get out there! (two weeks ago I did 16.4 miles in the snow at -2 avg temp...) (just had to throw that in there...) I know she was directing it to someone else....but it feels like I'm the one who needs to listen! Roll eyes
        I can't even imagine a -2 temp. I think the coldest it's ever been here in my lifetime is 20 degrees, one day that I remember as a teenager. The whole state nearly shut down Wink The first year I did the Disney half, it was 30 degrees...can we talk layers? Jewels...LOVE Brevard County! I helped build the zoo! Do you get a chance to do any races over there? I did 2 sloooow easy miles tonight for recovery. No need to start real training again for a couple weeks.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Top 'O the World!

OKAAAAY then, we're still doing sub-zero wind chill temps this am! Cry might get up to 18*F - wind chill for a high today.....I'm thinkin about goin dreadmill shopping Undecided ......mebbe I need to remove the "HTFU" item from my '08 goals.......
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            OKAAAAY then, we're still doing sub-zero wind chill temps this am! Cry might get up to 18*F - wind chill for a high today......
            Brrrr....and I thought I was going to get a gold star for running here in TX this morning!!! It's currently 27 degrees, 15 mph Northwest wind, for a wind chill of 15 degrees. Just got back from a 5 mile run (4.5 miles running, 0.5 miles walking) with Katy the dog. She is definitely has much more stamina when it's cold. I know it's bad doggie manners and shows my lack of pack leadership, but I just love how she grabs the leash in her mouth and trots along like she is walking me. Pure doggie joy!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Good for you, Carol. Your cold air is headed our way, I went out last night (third run of the new year Shocked ) and it was in the low fifties; today it's in the thirties here. I've decided I'm just gonna have to take my running thing one day at a time until I get back in the groove. My goal for the next two weeks is run every other day, easy runs of about three miles. We'll see how that goes. Have a great day, y'all.
              sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

I've been poking around and haven't found anything, so I thought I'd ask... are there any 'running plans' here at Running Ahead? Like a 'how to train for a half marathon' type of thing? I know there are others (and good ones) on the ol internets, but I'm trying to simplify and not need to visit quite so many web sites. Okay, stop laughing... Roll eyes

Top 'O the World!

SB: Did ya "poke around" in the User Groups?? I know there's some marathoners in groups...they'd know where to direct you to good training programs...& I think I still have the one from CR....before the explosion Wink
                    Morning all...tgif Melissa, I've only been running just over a year so I haven't raced a whole lot. I am still trying to build a base before I incorporate anything too complicated. I've participated in 4 5k's. I hope to do a few races this year just haven't made any commitments as of yet. Would LOVE to try a HM, but we will see. Some of those races over in Tampa look like soooooo much fun. Brrrrr....sounds freezing in some areas this week. Stay warm! Off to work......Jewels
                      Bear, I really like some of Hal Higdon's plans. They seem "doable" and also encourage strength training/stretching, which seems to agree with my body a bit more than the "just run a lot" plans. But YMMV. I know what you mean about having stuff scattered all over the place on different websites. I'm beginning to think running induces a form of insanity Shocked. I had a nice easy run yesterday, and now I'm having thoughts of running in a 5K on Saturday. Keep in mind that I haven't done anything other than slow and easy for a while, am coming off a 2 week bout with crud, and this would also be my first race since my hip issue last year. Forecast for race time is 27 with 3 mph winds, and that acutally sounds good to me Cool. I realize a 5K isn't a big deal, and I'm not expecting a PR or anything resembling a good time, so am I nuts Confused?
                        Carol, Of course you are nuts! You're a runner! We have to be crazy and nutty to get up at wee hrs. of the morning to run. To tackle a hill that's a killer. To run a LR on a Sunday morning when we could be sleeping in. To run outside in freezing temps or melting temps. Yep you're nuts! From one nut to another.....JUST DO IT!!!!!!! Jewels
                          Thanks Jewels for confirming and sharing in the diagnosis Big grin From one nut to another.....

jfa

Carol- Whatta ya crazy?!? Confused We're ALL NUTS here!!! WinkWe got more nuts here than a Christmas fruitcake!!!

sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Another nut checking in... Thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking I'll try the Hal Higdon 10K for novice plan. 8 weeks and it'll get me back on my feet through what's left of our winter. Do any of you use the Peak Training" website? A year ago at this time I was thinking half marathon by summer. Ha! Was I fooling myself, or just nuts? Roll eyes Anyway, hope y'all are having a good weekend; we have a busy one which unfortunately involves driving, managing children, and a hotel room, so my ambitious running plans may have to wait until next week to really kick off.

Top 'O the World!

I've always been rather fond of Hazelnuts.......... Big grin – Another powerful cold front is heading toward Colorado and the system could bring light snow to the metro area Friday afternoon.....well then....shopping yesterday did not result in said treadmill...."cold gear" was much more affordable....so now I'm waiting for my DS#1 to pick up his daughter so I can go navigate the balmy 15* wind chills.....maybe I should just try running in my ski gear....I'm always warm enough when I'm doing that!