Masters Running

Friday, 6.5.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin everyone.

I really enjoy your posts, Aamos. Interesting oldie radio theory you posted about yesterday. I guess I listen to the wrong station 'cause I haven't heard either of those songs in years.

I'm glad you survived the Sox game, Stumpy.

Good recovery, Slo. I'm glad you're listening to your body.

Great C25K history, Tet. Thanks for researching and posting. I remember the shower/shampoo story, but not who the author was. Did you find your keys?

I'm glad you had a good chat with Earthrunner, Ribs. Good runs for you and the Saint. And good luck to Hudson with job #2.

Roch, if Active is doing online registration for a race that I want to enter, I'll go out of my way to send a paper entry. Yes, I really don't like them. Nice 10er. Yep - ramping up miles is tough, but is always worth it.

I forgot what Twocat said yesterday...

Nice ramping up for you too, Tselbes.

I hope you feel better today, Dave. Good thing you and Cindy didn't run out of gas when you left the car running (and that nobody else drove off with it)

I though we were done with that white stuff, WC.

Mike, I often get so deep in thought in the shower that I also forget which body parts are done and which still need work. Nice hills, and nice twins visit.

Nice flying, Mariposai!

Tough windy run, Evanflein - and a good one for not having known if you'd go out at all.

6.1 tempo RW miles this morning in 48F temps under a nicely clouded sky. Here are 2 shots from this morning: one looking west, over the marsh toward the moon; and the other east at the pre-sunrise over the water. Sorry, TC - no overpasses.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I haven't had much to say recently...that's about to change today.

Good Morning Jay!

I ran this morning. I know I ran 1 hour and 11 minutes but I have no idea how far even though I was wearing my Garmin. I covered the first mile in 5:03 (but it really wasn't a mile) The next mile was 5:23, the 3rd mile was 6:05. At first i thought maybe my daughter wore it and changed the settings to measure Kilometers. I don't wear my glasses when I run so I couldn't read the settings.

Cut to the chase...downloaded the run. The first three miles were all measured short. Not quite sure what happened there.

I'm taking the afternoon off. We kicked some bureaucratic butt and did what they said we couldn't do. Today at 1:30 we will be putting shovels in the ground to begin the work on a .2 mile walking path on some unused school property for the elementary kids and open to the general public. Over the next few years each class will build and maintain gardens along the path, add seating, plant shurbs, etc. This group was lead by a "Let's get this done" former city council person.

Hey Roch, Should I bring a bike to Charlevoix?

Oh, the humidity kick my arse this morning too.

Dave59

Good morning.  I went to the gym today.  Warm up on some type of elliptical machine and then 30 minutes of weights.

Meetings at 9:30, 10:00 and 12:30 for work.  House showing from 11:00-12:00.  Not sure if I'll feel like real work once the morning mess of stuff is over.  I might blow off the rest of the day if I can think of something I'd like to do....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sunny taper day for Saturday’s marathon and Sunday’s 10K.

Now MikeE’s done a reverse mystery man morning shower
          hint: an 8mi run in less than an hour is named after him.

However, mikeE’s in trouble for omitting the twins from his posts. .
          Good job Slo-hand/Fast-feet on skillful bureaucracy’ing
          ps - could you lend me your watch for this weekend?..
          good job erika’s weatherwise adventure run. 
          In addition to eschewing training as a kind of cheating to make me run faster that I really am, my practice in not previewing marathon and ultra courses has produced some memorable surprises over the years too, e.g. Galer/Madison hills at mile 21 in the then-new Seattle, Marathon route,the hill up to Steel Bridge at mile 17 of the Portland Marathon, Kona lava fields and the Hawi bike ascent (and screaming descent), thinking the White River 50-mile was an easy riverside run instead of two climbs of 3-plus hours each up two daunting mountainsides with cliffs so steep, even Equinox that had me wondering what the big deal was about it being the toughest, hardest marathon in the country next to Pike’s Peak in those days, . . . until I got to the first ascent at mile seven past the bison farm up to the relentless roller coaster pitches along Esther Dome, etc. .  .
          .ps - I remembered Liam about starting C25K too.
          Losing Keys/Wallet
          After GS’s visit, not too sure about this getting old business anymore as, for the first time since doing it at Niagara Falls in 1968, locked the car keys in the trunk of a rental sedan after a strenuous Snoqualmie Falls hike at the end of a long day anyway..  GS was an angel while Papo called AAA/Hertz/DD, etc. until getting GS to squeeze his way into the trunk to retrieve them. Then, for fhe first time since 1972, lost my wallet too.  Don’t think Ill be as lucky this time but, two years later, in 1974, the Ann Arbor police sent it back across the country after it was found between the seats in a car I’d rented back then too. . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Well, here is what prompted that Earthrunner comment.  Recently I posted in "General Running" here on this site a request for comments about running "rules of thumb" and I got so many replies that I was able to write 4 Dallas Morning News posts on the subject.  So while this is going on, I get a private message here from some guy who purports to be a PhD in exercise physiology, and doing training for the Navy Seals, working for the U.S. Government on a number of experiments, and on and on.  And he included a mess of links that I really didn't go into.

I mentioned on the thread about the rules of thumb that I had a fascinating message from some guy etc., and right away some of the responders wanted to know who it was. I didn't see this coming. So I posted his message without naming him and the others all knew who he was right away.  Apparently, he was the source of many arguments and some ridicule in other forums and I don't want to get involved in that stuff so I stepped away quietly.  But it did remind me of the ER days.

4.2 miles, half of it on the dirt track at the park, which is no longer under water!  I need just 3 tomorrow for my 35 mile week.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  I drink coffee every morning!

Enough of this old/forgetful stuff.  We've also got the wisdom of the ages going on here.

That would be the RIGHT radio station, Jay.  I could pass on those songs forever.   Last night, I ran with Speedsters but just a mild tempo run.  We took a favorite route, near the river as the sun was sinking, and I listened to classical music.  Then I blasted the classical station with my windows open on the way home. 

Say, you know the economy's better when small jobs go begging......since DH and I are both klutzes (or let's be positive:  adept at turning a $200 home repair into a $2,000 one), we have been trying to find a handyperson to fix our screen door, as it just decided to disintegrate recently.  (And the wood frame is looking dicey)  Not easily done!  We think someone is coming by Tuesday; in the meantime, the patio is off limits to the critters as they can get out and I don't want them et up by 'gators. .  They are very cranky critters.

....but I wouldn't have liked the Cap'n Crunch or crunchy critters flavored Starbucks.

Thanks for your prudence there, Mike, in not mentioning the beloved Twinkies.  I do like that team.......and we're doing it to ourselves.  I am loyal, but really, when was the last time (outside of 2012 and last year) when the Sox were this bad?    I mean, it was usually a good time until September.

So I was thinking of running Baltimore as a way of showing a little support for the city.  It's Oct. 18, however, and a friend who got into the MCM may not be able to go and I think I'm her first choice of people to give her bib too (the MCM is ok with this, there's a process so you can do it legit).     What to do......

Doing Space Coast after Thanksgiving so DH can go to the Kennedy Center and maybe meet an Astronaut.  He's a space geek.  I'm such a giving person, going along and running a whole marathon just so he can have that experience, no??

So very easy 6 miles this am.  Have to plot out how to time the LR tomorrow so I can end at our 5K Membership Run.  The Ft. Myers Track Club gets the use of Hammond Stadium (where the aforementioned Twins train in the spring and their farm team, the Miracle, play in summer) for our annual join up for the year and get your singlet run.  It's a good time, but late, around 7:30, I think, so off to the planning board for me.  Must.do.math........and distances, and prediction.........

Happy Fridays,

grins, A

p.s   Gotta admire the optimism:  we yank people's driving licenses if they don't pay their child support.  They then come in and negotiate with us on how to get it back.  Yesterday, a person dropped by who hasn't paid anything since 2009.   Offered us $40. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm taking the afternoon off. We kicked some bureaucratic butt and did what they said we couldn't do. Today at 1:30 we will be putting shovels in the ground to begin the work on a .2 mile walking path on some unused school property for the elementary kids and open to the general public. Over the next few years each class will build and maintain gardens along the path, add seating, plant shurbs, etc. This group was lead by a "Let's get this done" former city council person.

I love this!

Beautiful picture, Jay!

Dave - good luck!

Ribs - sounds like "stepping quietly away was the right thing to do.

{{{Tet}}} - wallet and keys, too, bummer!

Amy - keep drinking that coffee, we love you jazzed up!

No run for me today, just 20 minutes or so of upper body weights and core.

Another Dam 50K tomorrow.  Hopefully this will go better than the last one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo, definitely bring a bike! The route that the race is on is called the Little Traverse Wheelway, and from Charlevoix you can ride up to Petoskey and then on to Harbor Springs (all paved), which is a town not to be missed (especially the mansions along the waterfront that were built in the 1920s and 30s by Chicago gangsters and others). Keep going past there and you can ride up to Good Hart and Byll's place!

Dave, with keyless entry and pushbutton starting, that happens all the time -- have almost done it myself a couple times.

Danger ahead! I picked up my bib for tomorrow's 5K benefit for Meals on Wheels at the local senior center. It's dangerous since it's 5Ks that seem to get me injured. Fortunately I'm at the top end of a 10-year AG so have a reason not to try too hard. I'll make it more of a social run since I'll know a lot of the runners there.

Good luck to the other weekend racers as well!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Amy--one word:  MCM.  Wait...that's 3 words...anyway...I'll buy you a coffee!

wild, the picture from your trail run is pretty but not for June.  Nice long runs for evan and Slo.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm.  I did 6 miles at an 11:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

AamosY  I will second what Mike E said.  The MCM route is one of a kind!

I would comment about yesterday's thread but I keep forgetting what it was about.   I do remember cracking up about a one liner by Holly S. and a few others!  I wonder why?

Ran 6 today.  Not a bad morning for it.  The local Joggers Club is going to do a dry run of the Fairfield Half Marathon course tomorrow.  I am going to try to go with them.  This race is often listed among the top half marathon courses in the country.  Not a PR course by any stretch of the imagination.  But, there are parts that are quite attractive, plus it starts and ends at a beach.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Holly, I just signed up for Freedom's Run on October 10!

Sayhey! MM#130

Another Dam 50K tomorrow.  Hopefully this will go better than the last one.

Knew it!  This is Holly's "long run" before Charlevoix!       She's a maniac ack ack ack!

twocat, I've run the MCM a few times before--the shirt I wore at the Memorial Day marathon is from one, when my South Dakota friends and I ran with names of SD fallen vets on our shirts.

OK!!   COFFEE!!!!   Mike said the magic word!     I'll wait and hope my friend decides to do the ultra she's contemplating and hands over the MCM bib to me.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Got back yesterday from Paris and trying to minimize our jet lag. We both did short runs this morning. Surprisingly neither of us gained any weight despite excessive eating and drinking. It must be all the walking we did and all the stairs we climbed up and down in the Paris Metro.

Loved our runs in Paris- along the Seine and around the Eiffel Tower on the Champs de Mars(the old military training grounds).

Great trip but glad to be home.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Marj and Henry.  Looked like (another) great trip.  I saw that they were digging without you downtown.

Nice pics, Jay.  Sunrise is well over now by the time I get out.  and strangely enough, I don't miss the lack of overpasses in them.

Magnetic anomaly with the miles.

I don't know--$40 seems like a reasonable starting point.

5 miles for me this morning.  Still enjoying the non-June temps in the morning.  I will say that non-June during the day does feel a bit chilly.  Heading north for the weekend.  We still have to open the island camp, but no other major projects (I hope), so hoping for some actual relaxation.  And a run with some hills.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.