Masters Running

Spirit of Survival Marathon - Hot and Humid (Read 181 times)

TomD

This marathon has many hills, but only a few challenging ones. The first mile is a decline with some flat at the end. Then it is a gradual incline with a hill here and there afterwards. The first challenging hill is in Mile 6 then it is back to a gradual incline with smaller hills. Mile 11 has the most challenging hill of the course. Mile 13 has another challenging hill to the turnaround. On the way back it is more downhill than on the way out with a good downhill parts between Mile 21 and Mile 23. The final mile is pretty tough with the incline to the finish, but it is by far the most shaded part of the course. There is very little shade on the rest of the course. It was in the low 70's and 66% humidity at the start and well into the 80's when I finished. This one has a 8:00am start. It is windy 15-20mph at the start and it felt like it was a little windier later in the morning. There is cloud cover the first 2 1/2 hours of the marathon. When we lost it the heat and the sun became very brutal on the runners. My plan going in was to run around 8:30 miles for the first 7 miles then try to keep a 9:00 minute pace as long as I can. When I picked up my packet the day before there was no mention to me about a chip. I did notice the mats just before the start. I went to get my chip as the marathoners took off. It took the volunteer awhile to find my chip. Finally I took off and I push the button to start my watch. When I looked at it a little later it was still at 00:00. This time it is going, but I am not sure how much time I have loss. It takes some effort and added lost of energy to get by all the half and marathon walkers and much slower runners ahead of me. After three miles I am up with runners at my pace. My time is 25:09, which I thought was slow for me considering I started my watch later. I did not know it then, but I figured it out a little later, that the mile markers were off too. Mile 3, I decided to go to my 9:00 pace now. I was worried about using to much energy up early. The first 12+ miles the wind is to our back or side. You turn just three times out and three times on the way back, but the roads twist a lot. About 24+ miles of the course you are going through a National Wildlife Refuge. I do pretty good in the first half even with the final hill to the turnaround being into the wind. My clock time at the half was 1:59:06 and I am in 28th place overall, which really surprises me. I was told that there was 120+ marathoners. I am thinking there is a 3-5 minute difference at this time, but at the end it was only about 1 1/2 minutes difference with my chip time. It was nice at the turnaround to have the wind to my back again, but it was short lived. Mile 14, the wind was in my face again. I am still running pretty good with no pain. I am still keeping a good pace even with the wind. Mile 16, I get my first experience with the wildlife. There is a hairy tranterla (?). Mile 18, I slow down a little. Mile 19, the cloud over is gone. My sweat is now going into my eyes and burning them. I feel myself becoming tired and I am running even slower. Mile 20, I still have a chance to break 4:00, but I need to keep running, which I do. Mile 21, seems to be my slowest mile, but it is hard to tell for sure. The next two miles have a lot of downhill and I make up some time here. Mile 23, the heat is very hard on me, but at least I am still running without pain. The wind seems to have gotten stronger here. Mile 24, it looks like I will be very close to 4:00, if I just keep going. The unforgiving sun is really taking its toll on me. Mile 25, this has been a very tough mile on me. I am now having trouble running in a straight line. I feel exhausted. I did not see a mile 25 mile marker, but the last aid station said there was only 1 1/2 miles to go. I finally make the final turn, which means there is about 3/4 of a mile to go. There is also a lot of shade the final 3/4 of a mile. I pick it up some as much as I dare. If only I knew how much time I had on my chip. I can see that I will not make it on clock time to break 4:00. Finally I see the finish line. I am going as fast as I can, but it is not very fast. I am having trouble running straight. The volunteers are helping me to stand up straight as they give me my medal. They help to get to the shade and sit down. Then get me some sliced oranges and a couple bottles of warm gaterade (the way I like it). After about 15 minutes of so I feel much better. I have no pain, but was I even tired at the finish. I do not deal well give this much heat. Finally,I find out about my time and overall finish. My chip time was 4:02:01, which was 20th overall and first in my age group. Donna told me before I left not to think to much of breaking 4:00 today. She said, "You will not have Sheri with you today as you did last week in Omaha." Maybe she is right, but I will still keep on trying. John Wilkes from Ames, Iowa, told me during this marathon, we ran together late in the marathon, that "You are an inspiration to us younger old farts." He finished a few minutes ahead of me and got 3rd in his age group. Overall this is one I want very much to run again. I wrote down several suggestions for them before I left at their request. I was the only 50-stater there. There were a few trying to complete their 50 states. Next, I am taking next week off, so Donna and I can spend the weekend at our farm. The following Sunday, October 19th, I will be the 5:00 pace setter at the Des Moines Marathon. TomD

The Jogger

''I am going as fast as I can but not very fast'' yip, I know the feeling there........ You didn't break 4hrs but heck you did your best, glad you had a painless quick recovery, you have great support from Donna. Well done Roy
        Tom....Welcome to Oklahoma! A great RR and a super race on your part. Congrats on the AG win!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Tough tough running in that heat. Excellent time, considering. Another fine one under your belt - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations Tom on the time and AG win! Most people melt in a marathon with H&H weather, so that was a strong showing. I enjoyed your report too!
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
            wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, you are truly "an inspiration to us younger old farts!" Well done.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

TomD, I was one of the half-marathoners there! I did not decide to run this race until last weekend and registered at the start. Things went smoothly for me and I finished well before the clouds burned off. A little disapointed that I only saw one buffalo on the course. Did y'all see any further down the road? Congrats on your finish. Paul
                  Another great job, Tom. You performed well with the heat and humidity. Congratulations. TomS
                  TomD

Paul, All I saw was one big hairy spider. TomD
                      Congratulations on a great run Tom, heat and humidity are tough on most of us...I know I don't like it, especially during a marathon of all races! Shocked You did quite well all things considering and an AG Win is just icing on the cake. You truly are an inspiration to the rest of us "old farts"!
                        Congrats on another fine marathon...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        Tramps

Nice job, Tom. And AG hardware too! Gotta love it. I'm amazed at how you crank these out week after week.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

You could star in a remake of "True Grit". This RR showed pure determination. Wow

SteveP

Tom, you would have been way under 4 hours in cool conditions. We have just such conditions planned for Des Moines, where I plan to beat 4 hours (you may recall that I didn't 2 years ago when we first met). That guy from Ames will be running the half. See you soon. FO
                              TomD

Fortunate One, I will be looking forward to seeing you and John at Des Moines. Remember I will be the 5:00 pacer. So I probably will not see you during the marathon. TomD