Masters Running

40's On The Run - Dog Days of Summer! (Read 418 times)

Top 'O the World!

"The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it." - Plutarch "An unhurried sense of time is in itself a form of wealth." - Bonnie Friedman My moment of eloquence is not of today.... 14.82 slowish miles w/Doug & Mairead @ 6am-9am! Wink followed by brunch on the golf course clubhouse patio (after a shower of course!) & wandering aimlessly by scooter shopping until the rain squall sent us home for a nap! Smile Hope you all have been having a lovely weekend.... & that you will have a fabulous week! Smile Cindy
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Sounds like some fun was had! Congrats to Jim and Lynda on the 5K! I dislike 5ks only in that for me to do remotely well at one I have to run 5k just to get warmed up and be able to move. Such as the case now because I'm a little sore around the edges from my 50 miler on Saturday. I'll have a full race report probably posted on the Trail Runner thread soon but here is the short version- I had a good day-nice weather, great trail conditions. I finished in 9:10:59 by my watch. I don't remember the official time. I finished 10th overall, 2nd for the women and 1st for the Masters! My friend, Aliza (she's 28), who came with us won for the women and set a new course record with a time 7:42:??. Jack ran the 50m too and finished 2nd overall and for the men in 6:55:?? and won the Masters as well. He was about 2:30 behind the winner. I was hoping to break 9 hours but it didn't happen. I'm ready to cut out what little bit of alcohol is in my diet as well as sugar and get serious about my speedwork. I only had one good trip which sent me hopping for a few steps and take some deep breaths to get through the pain. I'll let you know when the real report is up. Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Thanks for getting us started, Cindy. Congrats to everyone on their runs. Jim and Lynda - way to go on the PRs. Kelly, 9:10 for 50 miles? Nice job! Am looking forward to your report. Party went off almost without a hitch. About half the people who said they'd come didn't, so we had A LOT of food left over. The smoked turkeys were absolutely fantastic. The Hub used apple juice and cranberry juice instead of water, and chunks of apple wood. Today, of course, has been a day of nothing but laying around. I should've done my speed work that I was suppose to do yesterday, but there was absolutely no way. We didn't get to bed until after 1:00, and I just don't bounce back like I did 20 years ago! Wink Later!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Way to go Kelley! Sounds like a wonderful day for everyone. As for a 5K warmup to run a 5K, well, that would just be so counterproductive for low-mileage me Smile. Different strokes..... Jim and Lynda...what fun to PR together. But really, just awesome that running is something both of you are enjoying together. Mtnchk, love the Bonnie Friedman quote! Thanks for starting us off. Leslie, at least you try to stay up that late and party, LOL!! A couple of run/walk miles with Katy this morning to try an ease back into things. I'm mostly over the cold or flu or whatever the heck it was, but only had the energy to clean the house, mow the yard, and weed some of the flower beds over the weekend. Naps followed each round of activity. Hubby is now in the throes of it and home from work today. Gotta get better from here!
          Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Hi Folks- back to work after a relaxing weekend without computers .... Cindy- Thanks for getting us going.Good quotes and an afternoon nap is certainly well deserved after covering more than 14 miles! Tongue Jim and Lynda- Great job on your races! Smokin' times and congrats on your PR's ! With all that work you guys have been doing, that's really something to be proud of!! And Congrats to your Dad too Jim.Wow ! That's awesome! Bet he took his age group in that one! Kelly- did you say 50miles?!?! Over 9 hours of running?!? Holy Smokes that's alot! I would recommend more alchohol just to have the nerve to keep that up. All kidding aside,that's incredible! Shocked Leslie- Happy your party went well. You're making my stomach growl thinking of all that smoked turkey.Sorry I couldn't make it, I just hate to get in that car on the weekends! Smile Carol- musta been writing while you were posting.Good to see you're getting better.Don't overdo the work thing and hope DH is feeling better soon. Cool Stretched out my long run yesterday on a nice cool, foggy run by the beach. Warmup for 4 miles with Buddy, then DW picked him up in the car. 17miles total to complete almost 55 miles in a six day span.This week will be all about 5-milers as I'm running in the Belmar 5 this coming Saturday.

Good Morning, Folks! Carol - Glad to hear you're feeling better. Poor hub . . . My friends just got back from a nice vacation in Mexico, and now the stomach flu is hitting their house. Yuck! Isn't this stuff only suppose to go around in the winter when you don't really care about getting outside too much?? Joe - Your mileage ain't nothin' to sneeze at either. 55 miles in a week - good going! Started taper mode last week, but it's really hitting home this week. Never mixes well with the fact that I become a bundle of nerves the week leading up to an event. Word has it that the RD is nervous about the smoke situation from the fires - Ashland, OR. Keep your fingers crossed that run still happens. Have a good week! MTA: I'm such a moron. I never did put in my running this a.m. Blush 5.03 miles in 52:28 with eight 15-second hill sprints at the end. Sheesh . . .

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Morning folks! Rest day for me Wink..... will be spent attached to the computer, wading through the piles of paperwork that have amassed while I've been lazy er, doing other things....will also be taking "domestic chores" breaks as the laundry, etc. is also a bit "piled up" ....my feet are a bit achey...part of the reason I walked quite a bit of the last 3 miles yesterday Confused my log doesn't show that my shoes should be worn out yet, but...I'm going to change them out anyway....hope that helps! If not the shoes, how in the WORLD am I going to be able to do 26.2 miles in just a few months!? Undecided Way to Go Kelly!! WOW!! You are amazing!!! Smile Looking fwd to the RR! I too have been thinking that I need to get more focused on my nutrition regimine...cut out all of the alcohol (HRM shows my HR elevated even after a small amt the next day!) , pay more attention to what else I'm putting in my mouth (smoked turkey is on the "legal list" Wink) Read a pretty decent article in trailrunnermag.com Feb issue on nutrition....I think these two things + maybe running more by how I feel rather than a more committed schedule + lack of quality cross training contributes to me "kicking my own butt" when it comes to running races...& I've only just recently realized that I'm about 3-4 miles out before everything loosens up..my best times are always right in the middle....I always see folks warming up for these smaller races....well, even several running up & down the road for the HM's...I'm thinkin that right now, 13 miles is maxing me out so, I'll be warming up during the first few miles.... Leslie: Rest Day After BIG Party Workout!! Wink Tongue...Glad everything went well....If you don't have enough freezer space, I bet we could all email you our mailing addresses for dry ice shipment Big grin Carol: Sounds like you're still in recovery mode....it's always worked best for me to "sleep it off" & then ease back into whatever is "normal volume"....depending on what bug you had - & if you don't rest well, it'll "round 2" on you! determines how much recovery time you need...& we ain't 18 anymore (not that that's bad...just sayin!) Awesome mileage Joe!! btw: not sure whether the partial overcast morning or the coolie vest, but Mairead seemed to have a much more comfortable migration yesterday (she wasn't pulling for the shade!)....& didn't quite sleep the day away afterwards... Ciao! Cindy ps: I got some pics from my sister of the neighborhood after the water receded....EEWWW! the houses are collapsing...city plans to bulldoze the area soon
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  I have to echo Kelly and Cindy's comments re nutrition. The past month I've done really bad in the sugar department and I'm not sure why. Especially since I'm not a big sweets person. But I've been doing some serious soul searching over the past week or so and have come to some conclusions about myself and where I really, truly want to be by year's end. I honestly don't think my goals are outrageous, it just means putting forth the necessary effort on my Bowflex and with my cross-training. On Friday, when Karen and I did our last run (well, she walked 'cause of her sinus infection and root canal and I ran), we'd hit the bottom of a hill at about the same time and she'd verbally push me to not stop running until I got to the top. It's amazing how much it helped having that voice behind you, telling you, "Go! Just a little bit further! You can make it! Keeping going!" If I had the financial means to hire a trainer for a couple of times a week, I would. I think it would be very beneficial. However, since I don't, I need to devise ways to push myself.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi folks. 9 mile long run yesterday, I just ran easy didn't pay much attention to pace until afterward. It is a comparatively easy distance now. I wasn't whacked out for the rest of the day like I used to be. I want to write up a race report for our little 5k, it was a big deal to do good in front of the home folks in a small town, and shake up the cliques a bit, will explain that later. We worked all weekend 'cept for the race and a nice nap yesterday afternoon. I got done spraying Sat, turned down some commercial spray work for a neighbor as we still had a few things to get ready for wheat harvest, got that done and tried our wheat about 4 pm Sat afternoon. About one hot dry day from being ready. Now we have had 2 cooler days, but thankfully dodged bad storms heading right at us last night. Its looking like tommorow we will get going if no rain tonight. I have a custom job for another neighbor that will probably go first. Cindy we looked at that Lonetree race, those crowds would have been very frustrating for me, congrats on the BIG long run. Kelly you guys are awesome, your doing 50 milers at our 5k pace on trails no less!! Congrats on your masters win!! Leslie we were trying to think of a way to get a bucket of chicken or beer or something delivered on a lark to support your party even though we couldn't make it. Wink Don't let the taper madness get to ya, last week I felt like such a slouch but did what Jonathan told me and it worked. Joe great job on the mileage and super long run. You are gonna be so prepared for your fall marathon. Carol glad you are on the mend. Those summer bugs are the pits. Hoping you feel good enough to ease back into some runs soon. Arla and Jewels hope you had a great holiday!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie we were trying to think of a way to get a bucket of chicken or beer or something delivered on a lark to support your party even though we couldn't make it. Wink
                      Ha! That woulda been a hoot! . . . . . 'cept, um, you know where I live?? Should I be afraid?? Shocked Big grin

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good evening to all.... Great race to Jim and Lynda and congrats on the PR's! Jim your times are really becoming quite impressive. Way to go! Lynda has come along ways as well. She should be super proud of her time! Congrats Kelly on a magnificent trail race you had there. That kind of mileage is incredible. I couldn't even image running 50 miles. Racing 50 miles is even more incredible. Way to go! Glad your party went well Leslie, I would have loved to stop in as well, except we couldn't be any further away from each other. Truely on the other side of the planet. Enjoy your taper and you're gonna do great at your race. Cindy, I think I need new sneakers as well. Mine are starting to talk to me. 15 slowish miles and then a nap sounds like a plan. I think we all messed up on the nutrition thing this weekend, I know I did. Carol, nice hearing from you and glad you're feeling better. Go out slow with the dogs and you'll be right back at it. Joe, way to go on your 55 for the week. Buddy is one lucky dog, or maybe you're one lucky guy. Good luck on your 5 mile race this weekend! Had a great weekend in Ocala! Almost didn't go, my mom fell and broke her arm 2 days before but insisted Kenny and I went. Felt sorta bad that we did go because she ended up back in the emergency room because the swelling was so bad. They should have waited for the swelling to go down more but they put a cast on it anyway and they ended up cutting it off Sat. morning. Geez.... Groin starting to feel much better but I am waiting a few more days for total healage (is that a word?) Today was tiring.....got back into town yesterday and this morning I had to give a 20 minute presentation in my psychology class and I was like a nervous nelly all morning. Got thru it fine......then i just got home from my microcomputer applications class and had a big test on chapters 1,2, and 3. 60 questions.....I think I missed a handful but I think I did fairly well. Later all........Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

'cept, um, you know where I live??
                          Sure . We all do. The REAL Northern California ,right? Should be easy enough to find.... Roll eyes ps- Hi Jewels. Sounds like you have your hands full without runnin. Hang in there and here's some {{healage}} vibes coming your way pss- way to go getting those townfolk talkin' Jim ! They must be Really impressed with your Dad!!

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all - looks like everyone is doing WAY better than just hanging in there, what more could a bunch of 40-somethings ask for? Big grin Jim - you two are just getting too fast! How neat that your dad is enjoying his racing as well. I'd love to get my mum into running, but she won't be giving up smoking after over 50 years of a 3-pack-a-day habit. Dead Kelly - WOOT on your race, and OMG, what a pace! I thought that trail ultras were typically run at close to 15 mm pace, but obviously you aren't typical! Carol - good to hear you're feeling better after the crud. Sounds like you're doing a lot of what I call cross-training (laundry, yardwork, etc..) Joe - wow, you're doing really well with your weekly mileage, planning to shoot for another marathon anytime soon? Jewels - sending healing vibes for your mom - owie! Glad to hear it's an arm and not a hip. Jim - happy pay day! Can't wait to hear more about stirring up those cliques! Leslie - don't be TOO hard on yourself re nutrition and your cross-training, the occasional treat is good for the soul. BTW, I find it really hard to get my HR up on a bicycle, too, even pushing really hard I can't get much over 155, vs. running one little hill repeat and I shoot up to the high 170s. Got away to my aunt & uncles beach house for a couple days last week, had a WONDERFUL run in the cool air on the Cambria boardwalk, right along the beach. Now I'm here and back in "The 'No", and, well, woke up this am to a weather report of "widespread dust" (huh?), 79F at 6:30 am, supposed to get up to 107F today and 109F tomorrow, and as a bonus, it's humid by Fresno standards. This is *almost* making joining a gym just to use their treadmill sound appealing! Arla Arla

Ex runner

Farmer Jim - Is the weather cooperating? {{{{fingers crossed}}}} Jewels - Between you and your mom - a couple of invalids! Wink Just kidding. Hope the healing is going well with you both. Joe- Yep! The REAL Northern California, which consistutes anything north of San Francisco (seems neither half of the state wants to claim SF). There's been actual talk over the decades of Northern California seceding from the Union. We'd be called Jackson State. Wouldn't bother me. Maybe CA would then be less expensive to live in. Roll eyes Somehow, though, I don't think it's going to hapen. Wink Realized last night that I looked at the wrong week for my workouts this week. Wasn't suppose to run 5 miles yesterday. Oh well. Did my dreaded six 1-minute strides this a.m. Between the strides, a 30-second rest between each, and a 5-min warmup/cool down, I was only out there about 20 minutes. Couldn't take it. Had to come home and do some ab work. Weather report so far for Ashland on Saturday- 85 degrees. Dead

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Arla - We were posting at the same time. You were in Cambria this past weekend??? That's where I grew up! Big grin Tell me more. I haven't been down there in 3 or 4 years, since my Grandpa died. No more family there. Where 'bouts do your aunt and uncle live? We lived on Lodge Hill, my grandparents lived on Pine Knolls, just up the hill from Nit Wit Ridge.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance