Masters Running

VT50--The Pre-race Report (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Back in...oh, I don't know...last year, sometime...Karin invited us all to celebrate her 50th birthday by running the VT50 with her. I needed Vermont for my 50 states, still...and I had kind of been thinking about throwing in a 50K sometime during this journey...and I really wanted to meet Karin so, I thought..."Okay...I'm in." Although...I was hoping to the 50K...but how could I when she was doing 50 miles? So...50 miles it was.

I was figuring the race would fill up quickly so, as we were driving home from the Buffalo Marathon, Ryan and I pulled off the highway as soon as it was time to register...and, after thinking, "Am I crazy?! What am I about to do?"...I signed up. As we pulled back onto the road, I remember thinking, "What have I just gotten myself into?"

I took my two weeks off after Buffalo and started my training. After researching a fair amount, I decided to go with a plan I found on Runners World. It was the closest thing to the Hansons' Marathon Method...with some speed work during the week...although the back to back 4 and 5 hour runs later in the plan were scaring the crap out of me.

I followed the plan pretty closely. The hardest part was realizing that I really had to concentrate on starting out a lot slower than I wanted to. I don't think I ever mastered that as I was constantly running out of gas in the last few miles.

With the VT50 being mostly on trails, I knew I had to get off my normal paved route and find some trails of my own. The closest thing I had within a reasonable driving distance was a nature center about 8 miles away. The outer loop that I stayed on almost exclusively, was a grassy, uneven trail with about a mile's worth of hills right in the middle. It was a 3.07 mile loop and I gave myself 30 minutes to complete each of them. Of course, the first 4 or 5 were done in about 25 and the last 4 or 5 were about 35...40...45...an hour... Anyway...rather than thinking about the miles, I kept thinking about the number of loops I had to do. After running 7 loops for 21 miles, it was easier to think that I only had 3 more loops, rather than 9 more miles.

Scheduling those long runs became a challenge. The high school cross country season started and I really wanted to run with them. Luckily, they did their first few workouts at the same nature center...unfortunately, they started their practices at 7:00am, which meant, if I wanted to join them at their post run breakfasts...which I did...it meant that I had to get most of my run done before they started theirs...which meant I had to get up as early as 3:00am. It was, actually, kind of cool to run through the trails in the early morning fog and watch the sun come up. And it really helped knowing the kids would be arriving and help me with my last miles. Yeah...I was supposed to be helping them...I'm not sure I have helped any of them.

I did pick up a part time running partner. The cc assistant coach's wife is training for a half marathon and she joined me on parts of my long runs. She has been trying to get under 1:30 and, for some reason, can't seem to do it. She is such a strong runner. She really pushed me at times. I really believe it is all in her head...but that is her story...so I'll get back to mine.

The long runs were tough. There were times when I wondered if I would finish them. But...I made it through them all. I experimented with different hydration systems. I used a handheld...which I did not like. I used a water bottle belt...which was fine, except my bottle kept sliding out. And I used a hydration vest...which I did not like. I have brought the belt and the vest along and will decide later. I had even thought of trying to just get to each aide station without anything...but I think that might not be the best idea.

Okay...this is getting too long. Am I ready? I don't know. I almost feel like 3 weeks is too long to go between my last long runs and the race. This last week has been very stressful at work. After working the last two weekends, I put in 45 hours this week and I didn't even work on Friday. I got home late, Thursday, which got me to bed late. After only 5 1/2 hours of sleep...which was interrupted with various leg cramps all through the night...I'm exhausted. I am so thankful that I'm getting in today and have tomorrow to just relax.

Of course, being with my RA friends is going to be the highlight of this trip...it always is. I am really looking forward to seeing them all. Being a part of this group has really given this whole 50 state thing a whole new meaning. It has become less about the races and more about developing friendships with people that share my passion for running.

Okay--I guess that's about all I have to say. I have a sermon to write for the second Sunday in October, so I should take advantage of this free time and get it started. See ya at the Post Race Report.

wildchild

Carolyn

Here  are a couple of Holly's pictures - she was having trouble copying them from FB.  Gorgeous place here!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BlazinCajun

Mike, you are a naturally good runner and I know that you will do great. Just have fun and enjoy meeting those other RA runners. I can relate to those night time cramps and started wearing my sweats to bed  at night - guess what? The cramps stopped and of course I do not use the covers very much. Thanks for posting this today. It was a good read. Good luck friend! Andrew

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

You will rock this Mike! Do go out slower though.....even slower than you think you need to. The leaders will bust off the line and while you can no doubt keep up with them given your vast talent and ability, this is unknown territory and we'll be out there for a long while. My goal is simply to run over the finish line and not hobble.

Great report and see you soon!

lamerunner

Mike, Karin and Carolyn will rock the 50m and Holly will rock the 50k.  Mike should stop thinking about his water bottle though.  With aid stations every 4-6 miles, you can probably get by without it if necessary-- that is what I would do, but I hate those belts. I either stash water or carry a handheld, and then only for pretty long runs. I will go 2 hours without it. ( and that is about as far as I have gone lately).

Those pictures are lovely. I am glad you all made it safely, and I will be thinking of you tomorrow!  I will get to a race meetup one of these times, maybe a trail half or something.  I feel bad I am not there but I am  pretty sure it is the right decision.

..Good Racing mike//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Henrun and Marj came up to visit!     Notice the  thermometer behind me, though - it's HOT!  And going to be hot tomorrow too.  Oh, well, I think there's a lot of shade on the course.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Have a great time everyone!!  Where's Karin?   I gave serious thought to driving up tonight, but I really need to do my 19 mile long run tomorrow morning and couldn't bare the thought of trying to figure that out while cheering all of you on.

RUN STRONG RA friends!!  Smile all the way!!

denise

You all look great!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good luck everyone!  Can't wait to hear all about your adventures

Sayhey! MM#130

You all look fabulous!  And loved reading the backstory on your training Mike.  Really hope to meet you in person soon.

So, reports ???  I mean, what happened with the errant water bottle? 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Huh?,

nobody got lost?

MikeE didn't desicate?

Karin didn't win if not beat MikeE?

Wildchild didn't like it so much she did it twice?

Holly didn't lose more than than I did <<<(three pounds)>>>?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)