Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.19.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

My workout this morning was about an hour and a half of snow blowing and shoveling the new snow we got late yesterday. But I stopped long enough to take a couple of shots of the pond across the street in the early sunlight, and the back of our house (from below the walk-out basement). The new snow is gorgeous, but it sure is taking a toll on our tree limbs. I'm grateful that we didn't lose power last night.

Ice PondBack of house

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

wow, that is a lot of snow, Jay. Have you made any snow man, yet?

Spareribs, that is so cool about your running friend's new PR. We are all so lucky to have you.

Holly, be careful!!, be careful!!

Denise, I hope you are feeling better today. Don't worry about the few miles that you are not running.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that is lovely!

Mariposai - hiyah sistahh!

I intended to take today as a rest day, but when I woke up to 40 degrees I just had to get outside.  I took advantage of the opportunity to go up and down the hills in my neighborhood for a slow hill workout.  My lower Achilles was sore for the first mile but then loosened up and was only mildly painful after that.  Sitting here now, it doesn't hurt at all, but a long period of sitting will likely allow it to stiffen it up again.  I saw some exercises that might help.

5.3 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Please be cautious Holly. AT stuff takes a long time to heal.  You have likely some inflammation so if you press it too much you may get some kind of -itis.

Jay, lovely picture and beautiful area where you live.  Just hope all that new snow doesn't damage anything.

Just 1.5 easy miles to give me something to do.  5 tomorrow will give me an 18 mile week, then I'll take two days off before Sunday's race.  Now the forecast is for hot weather. I'm darned if I'll run an ultra in the heat. So glad I didn't pre-register for this thing. I'll decide on Saturday.  Spareribs

janie b good

Hi to all ... I finally got back out there after being sick since Saturday.

4.23 miles, sunny, 47*

jay ... beautiful neighborhood!

holly... be careful!  but I so know what you mean about today's ohio weather!!!  yip yip Big grin

ETA:  just getting caught up on Monday and Tuesday's dailies ... Holly, your DD is too funny with the bus texts, but I can so see that happening after our ice storm.  and Denise-- sorry to hear that you have also been sick.  I'm glad you asked the question about missed training days cause now I know what to do.  feel better!  and hopefully you will be able to pick back up soon!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Okay Holly - You asked, although you might not be too happy with the answer . . . .

STOP RUNNING.  First and foremost, stop running.  Stop doing anything that stresses out the AT, especially hill climbing.

Second - Do not walk around barefoot or in flat shoes.  Wear supportive shoes that have at least a little bit of rise in the heel to alleviate some of the pressure on the AT.

Third - Find a PT who specializes in sports medicine - runners specifically, if you can - and at least go for a consult. He or she will be able to do some ultra sound therapy, etc., that will really help.

Fifth - Do deep tissue self massage of your calves every other day.  Warm them up first with gentle massage or a heating pad, but then get in there and use downward strokes, stopping short of hitting your AT.

Sixth - Gets some little Dixie cups, fill them about halfway with water and put them in the freezer.  Once frozen, peel off the paper down to the ice, then spend about 5-10 minutes gently  massaging the ice around your AT.  Try and do that at least 4x a day.

Seventh - Only when you start to feel some relief (maybe a week down the road?), begin gentle stretching - after you've warmed up - of the calves using the wall stretch.  You want to be very careful that you don't overstretch.  It should be a very gentle stretch felt in the calf.

Eighth - Before you get up in the morning, spend a few seconds gently rotating your feet around to loosen up your ankles/AT.

Please don't mess around with this, Holly.  You are describing how mine started out, then one day my feet hit the floor in the a.m. and it felt like someone had stuck knife up through my heels into my AT and I could barely walk.  It ended up being serious tendinitis.  That was last April, and like I said before, I'm still dealing with it on the left side.  Be proactive now before  race season hits and you'll won't miss a beat.  Keep ignoring it, and you run the chance of being out the entire season.

Okay - Dr. Leslie is done for the moment.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Since my other post was all about dazzling you with my medical knowledge  -

Didn't run last night because my legs still felt done in by the weekend's activities, but got in a good 30+ min of core and upper body strengthening.  Did my 5 miles this morning, and my legs were pretty dang sproinky!

Jay - Those are beautiful photos!  Glad I'm not living in it, though.

Deez - {{Get Better!}}

For those of you who believe in the power of prayer, or even just lots of positive thinking, please keep a friend of Shorty's in mind.  Nick is seriously struggling with his addiction to pills and alcohol.  He's a young man - in his 30's.  His work sent him to rehab awhile back, but he keeps backsliding.  Last evening, he had his mom call Shorty, and Shorty spent about 45 min with him.  Nick told Shorty that if he isn't able to kick this, he believes he'll be dead within a matter of weeks.  Unfortunately, despite Shorty's efforts, Nick refused to give him his stash of pills to take away.

Shorty is suppose to be meeting him an AA meeting this morning, and I am praying he shows up.  This is killing his mom, who also needs your prayers.

The side of addiction/alcoholism that "normies" (which we non-addicts are called) don't see or understand, is that a lot of these folks, once they make the decision to sober up/become clean is that in most cases they have to break ties with all their friends who drink/use and it puts the addict/alcoholic in a tough spot because they're very lonely.  It happened to Shorty, but he had me.  Nick is in that spot.

So please keep him in your prayers.  He's a good guy who is going to need all the strength he can muster to beat this.  His life literally depends on it.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

janie b good

Nick is so lucky to have you and shorty!  I will most definitely send him prayers, love, peace, and strength!  thank you for sharing his story with us, Leslie.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

thanks for the tips and well wishes everyone .... still really sick - no energy at all .....trying to just rest, drink fluids and eat healthy -- can't believe a cold/cough could kick me in the butt this bad, but that's all it is - no flu symptoms

Holly - hope you get the AT checked out

Leslie/Shorty -- will keep Nick in my prayers

Jay - beautiful pics, but I cant wait to see spring & summer photos!!

denise

Holly, it doesn't sound good when the pain is there through the whole run and not just a little bit at the beginning.

Jay, wow, lovey snow!

How about Olympic Curling, such an awesome athletic sport.....is Tramps curling his toes right now?

Deez, rest up!!!

I ran 4.3 this morning, pretty windy but about 41F so I wore capris.

I am officially freaking out, I never get this nervous....one hour from now....  Erika knows what I am talking about!!!  EEEKK!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I am officially freaking out, I never get this nervous....one hour from now....  Erika knows what I am talking about!!!  EEEKK!

What?  What?

Leslie - that seems sort of drastic....(don't we always think that when we hear the words "stop running"?)...however, I have printed out what you said and will post it at home to remind me.  I'm just not sure this is more than just some residual soreness from Sunday's 20-miler.  Still, you are right, I don't want to ruin things just when spring is around the corner.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...holly//......totally agree with fatozzig..............don't push it

unles you really enjoy POOLRUNNING for the rest of your life.......

=======

..but I digress.....

38mprnb

with steps

..................back has stopped spasming, which is Pleasant.

although I'll miss wearing 3- BackBraces at the same time

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJPYo-YUkA

............good running to the rest of ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly, I know it sounds drastic, but I ignored my symptoms far too long and paid the price.  We ask a lot of that tendon, and once it gets PO'd, it can stay PO'd for a long time.  If nothing else, take it easy on the running for the next couple of weeks.  Give your ATs a break.  Ice as often as possible and massage those calves.  Be very proactive and hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Or you could join Tom poolrunning.   Geez, Tom - three back braces???

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Holly S.  I am going to jump in on the AT issue (which I had to deal with once upon a time) and third or fourth or whatever the stop running suggestion.  Also, you might want to look at the http://injuredrunner.com/ web page.  It is a great resource in general.  The physical therapists that maintain it seem to do a pretty good job of keeping up with the current medical literature.

fatozzig I am not sure about what footware is best while recovering from an AT problem but there is some evidence that thicker heals post recovery lead to a higher occurrence rate.

My ESP told me I should get a picture during my 16 mile run this morning so as to steal some of coastwalker's photography thunder.  This is what the sunrise looked like this morning near Southport beach in, get ready for this, Southport!  What a creative bunch they were when naming places, huh?

Sunrise along Southport Beach

I made it through my run under fairly clear skies.  Good thing too since it has been raining steadily since I got to my office.  Of course, I was too dim to put together the weather forecast for rain starting in the late morning with the need to put an umbrella in my car.    That made taking a visiting speaker to lunch way more fun than if I had been able to stay dry! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

2cat - wish i had run when you did.  went out this afternoon and it was clear, 5 minutes later i couldn't see through the snow.  i shortened my distance to either 4 miles or a red light, so went the 2 and just after i turned around the heavy snow turned into sleet, then heavy rain.  about 1/2 mile from home i thought the rain had stopped, but realized i was so drenched, i couldn't tell (also had no glasses on!)

changed into super warm clothes and am now drinking tea - hopefully it will be drier tomorrow!

glorious pics from 2cat and jay! 

marj