Masters Running

Sunday 9/14 Harvest Moon run (Read 369 times)

Wow! I haven't kicked off a daily in a while. Last evening we went to see an AC/DC Tribute Band at the local Amphitheater. Although there were few people there - the City didn't advertise it for some reason - it was a blast. And a pleasant evening too. Everyone sing along now "Highway to H*LL"! There was the most beautiful Harvest Full Moon out this morning as I ran along with a backgrouond of stars too. I think the Full Moon is technically tomorrow but it was very impressive today also. Out at 5:20 AM and ran 15.05 miles in a slow and easy 2 hours 25 mins. This is the most miles I've run since Eugene I think. I ran this one easy enough (avg. HR only 135) that I felt strong the whole time. I dislike running slow because I'm becoming convinced it's keeping me slow. But for building endurance and a base, this is a good way to do it. 41.3 miles for the week. Maybe I had more than Spareribs but maybe not ... (go Ribs!) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

I think some didn't know I was high fiving Mary. When she used to begin posting here she didn't run nearly as well or as long as she does today, but she is a good tap dancer and would occasionally post about that. Mary, were you a better tap dancer than a runner back then? I'm having allergy problems the last few days. Maybe it's the time of year or the weather, but I'm coughing constantly. Even yesterday's day off didn't help. I am going out later today and see how it goes. The storm passed east of us, so no more weather problems down here. Hope those south of us get some relief. Spareribs

The Jogger

Afternoon Gang Nice 15 Bill and great HR 135......Glad you didn't get the storm Spareribs. Went for another 8 mile bike ride, not as fast as yesterdays but happy with it and then did a 5 miler first 3m with MrsRoy and Woody at a too slow pace, then the last 2m just me. Might do another bike ride later, maybe, not sure, got to work on the veggie plot but still might, dunno ..................... Anyway 5m 54:10 @ 10:50 AHR 145 12:05 142, 12:06, 138, 11:16 136, 09:18 160, 09:25 164 Bike 8m 36:38 @ 13.1 mph AHR 139 Now, all the info on my Garmin training centre seems to have dissapeared and it won't upload any stuff. Good Runs All Roy
        DickyG

A 33-year-old woman stole her daughter's identity to attend high school and join the cheerleading squad, according to a criminal complaint filed against the woman in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Wendy Brown's ruse was quickly discovered when she attended cheerleading practices and went to a pool party at the cheerleading coach's house. If she wanted to get away with an identity impersonation, all she had to do would have been to masquerade as an Oakland Raider professional football player. Nobody would have been able to tell the difference. Mary: A belated "way to go" on your 20-miler! Evanflein:
          Well, a fight broke out before the game ended, and according to the news, hundreds of kids and other people apparently not associated with the schools playing, were involved.
          Unfortunately, an all-too-common occurance these days. Local high school here is experimenting with Sat. afternoon games instead of Fri. nights. Tammy: Huge 10K effort & PR...that's wonderful. Bill: Great effort this morning! I usually don't run Sunday's...already got 5 days in this week...and besides, temps are supposed to hit 95 this afternoon...a good day not to do nuthin'. DickyG

Renee the dog

Got my 7 mi in earlier this morning -- and made my 1000K goal for the year. Ah, guess I can just quit 'tll January right? Big grin Heading to church -- I don't go in the summers as it takes too bloody long to get across the bridge. No excuse today, so I'm out the door. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mary - congrats on the 20 miler Shocked An hour ez this morning in the drizzle. Joined up with others along the trail to run in the Terry Fox Run today. I will never forget the day I heard Terry Fox had to stop running across Canada since his cancer had returned. To me he was the epitome of bravery and he was only 21. Amazing what one can do when their cause is true and they are determined. Tall.

Recent Best times: None recently

lamerunner

Good morning. I must be east of Spareribs! 22 miles starting at 5:30, entirely in the rain. About 60 degrees so comfortable temp, some wind. After last weekend's death run, I was grateful to feel pretty strong. Ran with two other women friends, one my age and one 20 years younger. I ran my first marathon before she was born! I knew our route and stashed water at about mile 13, and that worked fine. Not heading to full taper yet but this was the last really long run... Happy Sunday!
                Mariposai

Mary congratulations in your 20 miler yesterday. You did fabulously. I am so proud of you. 8 miles at predawn with the gorgeous harvest moon as company.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Mary has aquired powers...Perhaps beyond what even she could imagine. Use your powers for good Mary. This has been a tough couple of weeks for allergies. My sneezing has the cat terrified. On my Highway to H*LL, I was passed by 10 utility trucks headed south. Hopefully they have an early success and get back home soon. 5.42 miles..The first 1/2 on the run was mostly up hill. I made really good headway when I started thinking about how I'd build a work bench....Some are sicker than others.

SteveP

Not my best effort today -- I cut short a 20 miler to 18 because I was really struggling. I knew in mile 16 when I was going 2:15/mi slower than my target MP and my HR was around 170 that I needed to stop. I'll be fine for the marathon -- hopefully it will be cooler and less humid -- today wasn't the best day for a 20 miler, that's for sure. 18.1 miles, 2:50, 9:24/mi, AHR 152

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

WAY TO GO Tammy on the PR yesterday---especially after all that you've been through. Good strong running. I remember Terry Fox Tallrunner and I agree---talk about courage and bravery. I was devastated that he had to stop. ACDC! my mother made me go with my brother to one of their concerts so he wouldn't get in trouble. Highway to H*LL indeed! Nice long miles there Bill. I imagine our MA. allergens are different than yours Ribs, but the goldenrod is out here and everywhere and the kiddo and Mr. CNYrunner are really suffering, coughing, sneezing, watering eyes. I was glad for the rain actually as it's easier for them. 20.7 miles for me this morning with three of the Js (Iron J, Canada J, and Dr. J). We are all missing Spicy J, but she’s got a lot going on right now and no time for long runs. We covered miles 1-14 at 8:30ish pace and then 15-18.5 at 7:50--8:00 pace and the last portion back at 8:30 pace. It was all about 8:24 pace on average. Just fine. It was raining off and on and we had many puddle splashing and oxygen debt laughing moments. Nice 22 lamerunner! Erika and Teresa----great stories about your sons---good decisions, good running and proud mothers. DickyG----you make me laugh. I caught the cheerleader story as well. Yeesh. She could go play for SU as well. They are an 0-fer team now and it's not pretty just when the movie about Ernie Davis (The Orange Express) premiered in Syracuse and then Penn State pulverizes the team. Ernie was probably spinning in his grave. Happy trails, Karin MTA: Good call WRFB----better in a training run than in the marathon. You'll be fine.
                          Out at 5:37 this morning for something like 20.3 miles at 11:00 pace. My Garmin actually got shut off for awhile, so I'm not positive about the distance. Felt slow and tired at the beginning, pretty good in the middle and dead at the end. But - that's it for this training cycle. Let the taper begin! I'm going to kick it off with a nice nap.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

7.5 slow miles w/DW who was having trouble with the H&H, 74 & 90%, we were getting use to some nice mornings so this heat today was a surprise. Roll eyes Bill I have TNT & You shook me all night long on my MP3 that I use for treadmill runs, Highway to H*ll just don't seem like running inspiration. Mary nice 20 & great way to post it Smile Nono don't quit you still got time for 1,500, go for it Wink Dicky doin' nuthin' that is hard to believe Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Steve - does that mean I can now be your sidekick?? Smile Ribs - take care of that cough. That concerns me a bit with all you've been through lately. As far as tap dancing - yes I probably was a better tap dancer 3 years ago vs. running. Now I think it may be the opposite, at least I'm working at it! I assure everyone here that Ribs only meant the best by his post yesterday. Super 22 miles in the rain Lamerunner! Out for 5 SLOW recovery miles this morning. 11:23 pace and 150 avg. HR. I couldn't have gone any faster if a bear was chasing me. Light rain helped in the humidity we have again. I'm not sure if my new shoes will ever dry out though. Thanks again everyone - I'm still pretty geeked. Cool

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Nice long runs today (Lamerunner, CNY, PDR etc) Lou—if your weather was anything like ours, getting anything done this morning was good. Then again, PDR did great so you could just be a wuss. Tammy—PR! Woo hoo! Mary—congrats on yesterday’s run! Byll—Isn’t that stuff a little raunchy for you? But AC/DC is the best Australian, double-entendre, head-banging band led by a guy in a school-uniform-shorts ever. (From that recent post I suspect CNY often plays “If you Want Blood, You’ve Got It”) Do you know about Hayseed Dixie? 100% humidity; 73 degree dew point, 78F at the start…great day for a 5K Roll eyes. Needless to say, I adjusted my goals and ran a nice tempo run in 23 and change (162 AHR). 5 miles overall. Heading to 98F today; I knew there’d be payback for those unseasonably cool days in August.

Be safe. Be kind.