Masters Running

Thurs 5/14 Masters Daily Runs and Workouts (Read 550 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Smile Yuck, yesterday late afternoon I got sicker than a dog...like I got run over by a train sick - fever, freezing cold then burning up - sore and achy all over - bad head ache - did not feel sick to my stomach thank goodness. Funny (not ha ha funny) but Jodi called me in the afternoon and told me how sick she got all of a sudden too...she was going home from work (I couldn't). I felt fine last Sat on our date, and she says she felt fine too..............hummmm. I feel a little better this morning as I normally never stay sick very long...heck, I never really ever get sick. Oh well, 0 miles last night and missed my beloved track workout Cry I will see how the day goes and see if I should run easy tonight...prolly not I assume. Hope everyone has a good day Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi Tim, Sorry you got sick rest up and you will be fine. Coaching my speedgroup tonight. Will probably be doing that in the rain. My workout today is 3X5k at 4 minutes per K with a 1k jog in between. Last longer tempo before next weekend's marathon. Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Get Well Soon Tim! 5 easy miles in 48 :30 this morning Long day at work yesterday with over 500 arrests Shocked Program where 1,700 folks with bench warrants were invited to turn theirselves in & the court would treat them like the failure to appear did not happen. 520 came in, 10 officers & 2 Judges worked OT to process them through the system. 25 had to be jailed because they had warrants unrelated to charge they turned theirself in for Roll eyes Have A Beautiful Morning

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Sorry to hear you missed your speed workout Tim. There will be another soon enough. 6 miles this morning with 3 miles at tempo pace. I averaged right about 8:00 minute miles for the tempos. Quite a bit slower than last weeks 5 miles at tempo, but no matter. It's a sweat-a-thon out there. So what do y'all think? Should I run my race totally by feel - never looking at the Garmin - and just let whatever's going to happen happen? Or should I check my Garmin every once in a while (like every 100 meters or so!) and make sure I'm spot-on MP? The 1st approach risks either running too easy and never getting down to MP, or running too fast early on because it always feels easy early on. The 2nd approach risks a late bonk if the MP is not sustainable. Opinions? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Nice catch there Sarge Wink I ran out of chocolate & chips yesterday,so back to running....and I won't be buying any more soon....Big grin 10.06 miles of hills @ 8:49 pace Good running everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I vote go for it Bill, Don't let the nerves overtalk all your training. You are going to do great. I unfortuantly have put my self on the DL for the last week. As you may recall I have been bothered by a bad calf muscle and took 4 days off 2 weeks ago but as soon as I returned to running it flaired back up. I then wanted to run the 25k Race with Mary but secretly told my wife it was probably a bad idea because the only reason I wanted to run it was to race at my MP and see how it felt. With the leg still bothering me I was unsure if it would do more damage than good. Well as things turned out my Granddaughtetr was born at 9am last Saturday so I could not race anyway. I took that as an omen and put myself on the DL for at least a week and vowed not to come back until I felt 100%. My leg feels much better with just a hint of pain so I am hoping Saturday will be my restart date. I am scheduled for my 3rd 20 miler on Sunday but I think I better put it of until next week. I am going to re _evaluate after a ful lweek of running on what to do about my marathon in June. If I am still having some issues I will most likly just run it for fun and not worry about BQ until fall. If the issue comes back full force I may back it down to a 1/2 marathon instead or even not go at all. I am sure I have the training in me to get me close if I can just get consistant with my training from here to the end but it is getting a little late in the cycle to have any more set backs. Anyway I just needed to say this out loud so that I won't do anything stupid. I know all of you will talk me back down to earth if I get to crazy. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

So what do y'all think? Should I run my race totally by feel - never looking at the Garmin - and just let whatever's going to happen happen? Or should I check my Garmin every once in a while (like every 100 meters or so!) and make sure I'm spot-on MP?l
                You probably know what I'm going to say! Wink Check your pace every 3-5 miles and preferably on a simple running watch---no Garmin----okay, okay----that would be something new on race day and you shouldn't do that. I do think checking too much messes up the mental part and you can become convinced that a good pace has disappeared if the numbers on your wrist don't work out exactly. Combine the approaches so that you run by feel with an eye on your progress as encouragement. 5.8 steady paced miles for me at 5:30 am at 8:17 pace--- overcast with approaching rain. Legs felt good, but I held pace since I am running long tomorrow with Iron J. Rest up Tim What a day you had Sarge---no good deed goes unpunished for the 25 Penguins! MTA: Larry...Congratulations! Excellent news about the granddaughter....smart thinking on the leg as well. I'll hope that you can make your goals AND that you will stick with your 100% rule.

King of PhotoShop

Bill, leave the Garmin at home. Go out today and with all that money you make, buy yourself a simple Timex Ironman watch with lap feature and use that. The Garmin is useless on a certified course and runs the risk of simply confusing you. Check your mile splits and be very gentle in that first mile. You are in perfect shape for staying on your targeted pace. Tim, if you come home today feeling like a new man, DO NOT RUN. Use the day to recover. And don't do a hard workout the next day either. Just run 3 slow-easy miles. Prime Rib comes home from NY for the summer and we're pretty excited to see him. As I know I posted here, he did an internship with National Geographic Adventure magazine this semester and had a wonderful experience. Off to run some. Spareribs
                    Morning, gang! Tim - Hope you feel better - too bad about the track workout! Has swine flu been found in your vicinity?? Sarge - wow - you certainly had your hands full yesterday! Good job! Bill - how about a compromise and look at the Garmin once/mile just to see if you are maintaining pace?? 9 easy but hilly miles this morning. It was a "two skunk" run. As I was coming over a hill on the Avery Point Campus, I just about ran over skunk #1. It didn't see or hear me, and I didn't want to startle it, so I clapped my hands. It finally heard me, threw it's tail up and scurried off. A mile later I encountered another skunk - it looked like a punk rocker - the entire topline was white (I initially thought it was a white cat). It didn't hear me either until I clapped. Fortunately neither skunk was scared enough to let loose with the scent glands. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Bill, Run with a simple watch. My body knows 4 minute per K pace and I only need to check every 5k although in the later stages I tend to check a bit more often. The key review points for me are 1k, 10k, 21.1K, 30k and during the Ottawa marathon the most important point for me is 33k which is where the real race begins on the Ottawa course (there is probably a point on your marathon course too). Mine is at the crest of a big hill with mostly a slight downhill to flats to go along the Ottawa canal. Leave the garmin at home, it's a distraction and can play mind games with you if it loses it's signal or works improperly...I know it's happened to me. Cheers

Recent Best times: None recently

Slo

Bill, I'd race by feel. I've only done a few marathons and I'm still learning how to race them......If anything, I use it very early on to make sure I don't go out to fast. From mile 5 on would be strictly by feel until I reached say the 16 to 18 mile mark. At that point I would calculate what my finishing miles need to avg pace wise. My Week My week is going to look like crap ! I am so far off of plan and have done so little it's scary. I suppose that's ok though because I have a high priority race Sat. A Sprint Triathlon.....and a tough one. Largest in the midwest....no chance in hell of a AG finish here......just try to hang with the real jocks. Not to Plan....Because The end of the school year brings all the school programs. So far this week I've been to 1 Elementary School Choir program, 1 Elementary Band concert, and last night was the High School Band Concert. I still have a High School Band Banquet to attend, the High school Choir and their banquet.....some this week some next. Off Topic Which brings me to: This town is very blessed to have some of the greatest elementary level and High School level Band and Choir instructors I have ever come across. The High School last night easily performed at a college level.....simply astounding! These kids work hard and it shows. I've been around music my whole life starting with my Mom who played piano and guitar. Out of 1 brother and 3 sisters we all play or played an instrument. The level of instruction my youngest is receiving I didn't get until at least Jr. High School. My DW, who generally dislikes "Concert Pieces" and would rather listen to them play contemporary music, remarked after the concert that this was one of the best she's ever attended.......outside of a ragtime piece, all the other songs were from the early 1900's and/or classical. For the Record I went home last night and played the opening to Pinball Wizard........The I sang Amie A-Capella thru the home stereo just to get on the kid's nerves Big grin They're just lucky I didn't get started on The Marshall Tucker Band !
                          First glad to see somebody at least thinks those super long journal article reviews of reviews are worth something! I hope they help evanflein, WillRunForBeer, dg.,Tramps, and always Spareribs who like me is over the top when it comes to information gathering Wink. eliz4015 a busted Garmin?! My life would be over I tell you over! My only advice is order one now! Clowning around Well, actually that is my only advice. Blush breger1 I would run it at MP pace and then if you felt like you could not make it the whole way that fast just back off. But Spareribs is right the Garmin's pace tracking feature is worthless. An alternative to the Ironman option is to just use the time and lap feature on the Garmin. Rearrange the watch windows to display each in some fashion that you like. But just forget about what it thinks your current pace is or pace is so far. Every posted mile hit the lap button and you will see your split pace which is what you are looking for. halllar I hope you are back on the road soon. But you are right to hold off until you heal up. stumpy77 glad my DW is not here to post about the what it is really like to live with me day to day! Dead Yesterday's discussion reminded me of many threads I have read about whether or not you should take in fuel during a race and how long the race should be before you do so. Since I now had the position statement in hand I figured what the heck do they say? Bottom line: If the race is under an hour, in the morning, and no matter how short at least have a sports drink or something pre-race. For anything that will take you an hour or more start taking small amounts early on during the race in about 15 to 20 minute intervals. (That is way more often than I have been doing!) Do not eat something that is just fructose. It can have fructose in it with glucose but not just fructose. On the other hand glucose alone seems to be fine. The results on whether a mix works better is itself mixed, but it looks like it cannot hurt so go for it! Mix your fructose with glucose before ingesting! Translation: look for both on the ingredient label. Smile Here is the actual passage from the report where I have edited some symbols to make sense given what the forum can display. Current research supports the benefit of carbohydrate consumption in amounts typically provided in sport drinks (6%-8%) to endurance performance in events lasting 1 h or less (103-105), especially in athletes who exercise in the morning after an overnight fast when liver glycogen levels are decreased. Providing exogenous carbohydrate during exercise helps maintain blood glucose levels and improve performance (106).] For longer events, consuming 0.7 g carbohydrates*k/g body weight/h (approximately 30-60 g/h) has been shown unequivocally to extend endurance performance (107,108). Consuming carbohydrates during exercise is even more important in situations when athletes have not carbohydrate-loaded, not consumed pre-exercise meals, or restricted energy intake for weight loss. Carbohydrate intake should begin shortly after the onset of activity; consuming a given amount of carbohydrate as a bolus after 2 h of exercise is not as effective as consuming the same amount at 15- to 20-min intervals throughout the 2 h of activity (109). The carbohydrate consumed should yield primarily glucose; fructose alone is not as effective and may cause diarrhea, although mixtures of glucose and fructose, other simple sugars and maltodextrins, seem effective (107). If the same total amount of carbohydrate and fluid is ingested, the form of carbohydrate does not seem to matter. Some athletes may prefer to use a sport drink, whereas others may prefer to consume a carbohydrate snack or sports gel and consume water. As described elsewhere in this document, adequate fluid intake is also essential for maintaining endurance performance.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Byll, all things in moderation. You’ve got the Garmin use it….responsibly. Like SLO said, very useful early on to rein yourself in. But don’t count on it working properly or providing anything accurately except elapsed time. I’m amazed that people have the wherewithal to manually hit the lap button each mile. I always seem to miss at least a few mile markers along the way; wouldn’t work for me. I’m really mad at myself. I missed my chance to turn myself in yesterday for an outstanding warrant and have my “failure to appear” charge dropped. I thought the program was today! Back to being on the lam. SLO—Marshall Tucker story: I once played drums with them…sort of. In college (’83 or ’84) I had a job as a “night manager” in the student center (sort of a security guard job). MTB was playing in the building’s “ballroom” that night. Late afternoon, I’m doing my rounds through a practice area where student bands played and equipment was located. Three guys from MTB had found their way there and were goofing around on the piano and a couple of acoustic guitars. When I walked in one of them said they were from the band and said something like, “Hey buddy, can you keep a beat?” and gestured towards the drum kit. Somehow I got up the nerve and jumped in for a bluesy jam. I’m sure I sucked but they were nice about it. I wasn’t really a fan so I had no idea which band members they were—and still don’t—but I did go to the concert that night and—yup—same guys up on stage. CNY--As we’re reminded each Spring around here, you can’t spell “collapse” without C-A-P-S. Ouch. Still, they had a decent run this year and are a young team that should get stronger with maturity and more discipline. I just hope Varly hasn’t been traumatized for life. Easy, hilly 8.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

"I got up the nerve and jumped in for a bluesy jam" Wink Awesome MTB......Country, Rock, Jazz, Blues.......They can really mix it up.
                              RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Tramps, That is so cool! BRegal, I would run with Mr. Garmin. You're used to him. He's your friend. He will help you. I say this because I ran without him in Grand Rapids and ran willy nilly the whole way. I'm sticking with the "don't change anything rule." 0531 60° F 4.10 miles. Track work cut short due to Mom Duty. (Taking a kid to school) Darn, and I thought my BP Rx had cured my exercise-induced asthma. On the second lap of the first 800, I found out I was wrong. And poor Cousin Mark was handed his first loss of the season yesterday... fortunately he received it from The Tribe.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."