Masters Running

Boston Run to Remember (Read 250 times)

This is the race I was scheduled to run a 1/2 marathon at, but with my back issues and very little running since April 3 I changed course to the 5 miler a few weeks ago and at times even that seemed doubtful. Thankfully I felt good enough to run and am hopefully on the road to recovery. Basics - 5 miles in 45:56 for a 9:12 pace and 31/149 in my age group. Clothes - my red MVS singlet, black nike running shorts and white Boston Marathon cap from 2006. It was a beautiful day altho surprisingly warm for 8:30 in the morning - i was not envying the 1/2 marathoners running down Memorial Drive with no shade altho I really did want to be with them!! I started off with my 2 work friends who were also running the 5 miles -- one quickly sped ahead as planned - I tried to stay with my other friend, but she was listening to her Ipod and struggling with her breathing so I pulled ahead and ran alone. I was able to run the whole 5 with just a brief walk throught the 2 water stops!! It was a great race and I remembered to give thanks to Him for giving me enogh recovery to run this!! So cool - as I was coming down the chute I saw BobS from Maine jogging back on a recovery run - his time was blazing I'm sure - he was too far away for me to try to get his attention. Didn't see Henry or Marj today unfortunately, but we stayed along the side of the finish line to cheer on some of our work friends running the half. The one bad thing in this chute was there was an initial red chip timing mat that the announcers used to call out people's names , but many people thought that was the finish line and stopped running or slowed down --- we kept yelling for people to keep going but what a bummer for those who wanted to sprint to the end. After the race we walked to Fanueil Hall MarketPlace and at outside at the Salty Dog!! Great day and so far not feeling any backlash from running or from the yard work i just finished -- need to do some more stretching, PT exercises and maybe ice even tho it's hours since the run!!

denise

Nice work deez4! Fun time!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

149 in your AG? And you were 31st? Big race, and you were up there, so that's something to hang your hat on. So you saw "Mainerunnah" aka bobscamman, who as you know is my dreaded enemy. I wish you had beaten him to give me some ammo, but I bet you will take your fine race any day. Well done! Spareribs
        Henrun

Well done Denise. No, we weren't there. We spent the day with Marj's grandkids at a fair in Newburyport. As we drove on Storrow under the Longfellow Bridge we saw a bunch of runners on the bridge and thought that it might be too hot. I had considered doing the half but, since we run that course quite often, I thought spending $50 was a little too much. As things turned out I pulled a muscle running along the Charles yesterday and couldn't have done it today. Hope we'll see you soon. Keep up those good runs.
            Hey Deez! I have been thinking about you and your injury---hoping you are on the mend. You ran well and strong on a warm day. Congratulations! You have such a great spirit and even when you are hurting you are so good about mentioning and supporting others. Thanks for sharing the race details with us and I hope the road to recovery is a smooth one now. Karin

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

not easy at all with a sore back but sometimes it works out. How was during and after running?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sounds like a wise choice to cut back on the length of the race you did. You most certainly did a great job. I trust your back feels better and soon goes back to full strength. Health is best appreciated in a time of sickness. Thanks for the report and CONGRATULATIONS on a great race. Joey
                Vista
                evanflein

Good race, Deez! You were smart to drop down to the 5 miler, sounds like it was just the right length for where you are with your back. RE: those initial chip mats... That happened in Bellingham to me... I crossed it and almost stopped, then everyone yelled "no, keep going!" and the REAL mat was quite a ways up ahead! I watched runners stop early in Seattle too. Too bad they don't have a sign saying "Don't stop here!" or something.
                    that's a great suggestion Erika -- i'm going to e-mail the race director and just explain how many people we saw slow down and even stop at that initial mat -- maybe if they get enough input from people they will make some type of change henry and marj - hopefully we'll meet up at another race soon -- the price was a little steep especially since there are no refunds and last year i had to back out totally due to my leg and now this year had to drop down the distance, but i just have to remind myself the money does go to a good cause!! thanks everyone and Happy Memorial Day!!

denise

So cool - as I was coming down the chute I saw BobS from Maine jogging back on a recovery run - his time was blazing I'm sure - he was too far away for me to try to get his attention.
                      Hey there Deez, congratulations on a great run...probably a very wise decision to pull back and do the 5 vs. the half at this point with your back problems. I can sympathize as I had a spinal fusion back in 1983 and every now and then I am reminded of that with a few issues of my own. I really wish I had seen you or anyone else for that matter, but I did meet a few new friends and had a great time as always. Hmmm I thought I was incognito with that NYPD running singlet on, must have been my profile you saw!! Big grin This was indeed a very warm day as I failed to wear a hat (should have) to protect my eyes from the sweat that I always have a problem with after a har, hot run like this one. I was pleased with my time at: 32:47 - (6:34) - 1/70 AG - 27/1702 OA and 5th Law Enforcement finisher OA. By the way just ignore Ribs that old geezer! Wink
                        Deez, it sounds like you were smart to opt for the 5 mile race where you sure did well. Congratulations. TomS
                        huskydon

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, and feeling good enough to run the 5 miler. Your time was quite good as well. Very cool that you could make a sighting of mainerunnah, too. Great job! huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise – I know you have been having some painful issues lately and I’m so glad that you are recovering from them. Excellent racing, and it sounds like you had a great time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sounds like you made the right choice. Glad that you are feeling better and you ran great!! Thanks for the report! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com