Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - New Year, New Start (w/e 01/03/2009) (Read 431 times)

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man [or woman]. (Benjamin Franklin It's about 1:45 a.m. New week, new thread. Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

8.28 miles clear sky, , moderate temps, light west winds from the west It was in the 20's when I left the house and headed for town. I went with the wind and was rapidly on the hot side then turned north and decided my clothes were about right. I got maybe a little hot near the end as temps climbed to the low 40's. For some reason I really struggled the first 3 miles, I stopped and did a gu and washed it down with some gatorade and about a mile later I was cruising. Have a greta week 40's folks. This guy was struttin' his stuff outside our front door the other morn.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey all..... Thanks for getting us going Leslie! Good luck with your '09 goals! Your're going to have a great year! Way to go on the 8 + miles Jim. Glad things are coming together for ya! Still sick with the crud......totally feel like crap. I just gotta ride it out...took a short nap this afternoon. Trying to enjoy a little football time with the hub but pretty much feeling like a zombie. Great runs to all......Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          Nice quote to start us off, Leslie! Jewels, hope you feel much better soon. Smart to rest it out, and doesn't sound like you have much choice anyway. Nice run Jim. Sounds ideal, including the fueling strategy. That wind makes a huge difference. So is that a pheasant (sp?)? Evryday, I knew it wasn't good when I came in from the grocery store this afternoon, and the first word I heard from hubby was "pitiful". He was on the phone w/ his dad re: the Cowboy implosion debacle game. No run today...mucho morning pet sits, church, grocery shopping, gift shopping for Kerry's dad who turns 90 this week. About to write up pet sit reports, do some admin stuff for church, and prep for a meeting w/ one of our accouting clients tomorrow morning. I got my day of rest yesterday...a short run and then slept about 12 hours! Gotta get the wheels back on my running / fitness consistency. Trying to fit running and lifting in around everything else is NOT working, not that it ever has. Tried to plan things out for this week, but so far not going well. Have at least 4 parties in addition to work/pet sitting, so may be another week of catch as catch can, and then try to settle back in the following week. As always, reading of your running and life adventures is such an encouragement for the journey.
          Progress Trumps Pefection
            FJ - Nice run. And thanks for the photo. Very impressive looking specimen, there. Jewels - Sorry you're so sick. Sad Take it easy on yourself. Carol - You're life is starting to sound as busy as Cindy's. And we all think she's nuts! Big grin (just kidding, Cindy) It's been a lazy day after a late night last night. Let's just say, the Hub had waaaay too many beers and is feeling the affects today. Ah, poor baby . . . NOT! So it's been a day of football and the History Channel - first the history of Russia, and now the French Revolution. My SIL is from Russia, and I'll have to ask her if they learned in their history classes some of the stuff we watched today. I've never had the nerve to ask her about life in Russia before and after the fall of Communism. I'd love to pick her brain about it some day, but it seems like the time has never been right.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Forty's Folks, Nice quote Leslie and good words to live by. I have Hungarian neighbors that escaped durring the war,and I love talking with them about their ordeals. Nice pic and avatar Jim.Good going with your runs. Hope you feel better soon Jewels. Carol-your schedule sounds tough! Maybe early morn or else for the runs?! Rough game for Tony and Co,but I bet Arla's happy! No gravy for me today but some real good running over the very warm weekend. Ended my 15m lr today in 67* !!! WTH?! Treated myself to a new pair of Nike's (only $78) and am trying to keep to Kelly's rule of paying less than $100 per pair. C ya's

Evryday, I knew it wasn't good when I came in from the grocery store this afternoon, and the first word I heard from hubby was "pitiful". He was on the phone w/ his dad re: the Cowboy implosion debacle game.
                I'm embarrased. No othr way to describe it. OK,,, maybe devastated. Big grin Carol, give your hubby a big hug and sympathize with him for the next day or two. It'll make him feel better. Big grin Jim.....nice cock. pheasant. We don't have them around here, but when I travel to Guymon they're plentiful over there and just north of here. Nice run....glad those temps are a bit nicer. Jewels....get well. fatozzig....it was a lazy day for me yesterday also. No beers for me though, Sad But it's back to work today. Smile Joe, nice long run! Nice temps and new shoes. What more could a guy ask for....ok, nevermind. Joe, such a nice guy. You spared me any comment about "you know what". Probably waiting for my post to get a read on my emotional state. Truly gentlemanly of you. Well, I can now spend energy on othr things.....Good luck to the Giants. I'll be rooting for them! Arla.....in full taper mode by now. Curious, what is your tapering schedule, Arla? No runs for me since last Wed. I've been nursing a bad shin splint issue. I developed the same last year about this time and hobbled through training and my marathon in April. After the race, I let it completely heal up, only to see it return a few weeks ago. So for awhile I'll remain in cautious recovry mode. I'm gonna let it rest for another day and see how it feels tomorrow. A shame though, the weather has been really nice. Later, my friends.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Morning all..... I feel much better today. Yay! I'm at work now. Have to work today and tomorrow and then off until Monday. Nice run Joe.... Evryday.....hope the shin splints heal quickly. Nice to hear from you Carol, you are busy, busy. Leslie, your hub seems to be quite the partier! Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Back to work today,bleck. Evryday, no need for me to try and rub it in, I'm sure it's hurting plenty without that. Much like the NY Yankee's, it goes to show that talent isn't everything. You have to have a team to win. I wish I had something to say to smooth it over, but I guess Jerry Jones has all the answers. Do you have shin splints on both sides? Have you considered shortening your stride? How's your shoes? Glad you're feeling better Jewels!

Morning, Friends ~ Joe - Nice LR! 67 degrees? On the East Coast?? Ev - Do you do strengthening exercises for your shins? Duck walk? Wall toe raises? Do them consistently, and you're almost 100% guaranteed to never get shin splints (now, do as I say not as I do . . .) Yes, boys, that was quite the, um, game yesterday with the C-boys. But hey, how about 'dem Raiders?!?!? Jewels - Glad you're feeling better. So far none of the crud has hit us at home, which surprises me since the Hub works directly with the public. He quit picking his nose a couple of years ago, so that helps. Wink Re him being a partier (((sigh))), yes, he can be. It doesn't help that most of the guys he hangs with are young and unattached. Blush But, doggone it, I'm stuck with him. Too expensive to get a divorce, don't know of anybody in low places to take care of business . . . just kidding!!!! Smile 30 min of stationary bike (booorrrring!) and 1 hr of core/strength. I really need a TV in my workout room. Riding that dang stationary bike with nothing but the wall to stare at sure is a lesson in patience. Maybe for me birthday in February . . . .

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Shin splints on right leg (same as about a year ago). My stride is pretty short and my shoes are good...186 miles. I have a short shuffling stride and maybe that's the problem. I don't really "toe off" very much. It's more of a stiff footed gait. Maybe if I toed off a little more. No I don't do any shin strengthening...tell me more about those duck walk and toe raise exercises. I'll google them up and start doing them. No run today. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow. Glad you're feeling better, Jewels. Core work outs....nice job fatozzig....I need that also.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Jewels-glad you're feeling better. I don't pay any attention to football so I won't even go there. Bummer about the shin splints, evryday. Been there, done that and luckily they haven't come back. No, I don't do any special exercises for them. Carol, your schedule sounds worse than mine for once-ggod luck! Well guys, I am 10 miles away from 2700 for the year. Even after skiing all day in a wedge (snowplow) frontwards and backwards; holding bodies, from 4 yrs old to 9 yrs old, ski tips and hands to prevent them from flying down the hill- I went out and ran 6 miles tonight. So I'm wiped and have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow. Catch up with you later. Kelly Cool
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Ev - The Duck Walk is walking around on your heels, knees slightly bent, butt slightly sticking out. My PT told me to do it for 5 minutes, my MAT person said 'til I really start feeling it. I compromise and and do it for about 2-2.5 minutes. Toe Raises Against the Wall - Lean against the wall with your feet about a foot or so (more or less) from the wall. Raise your toes toward the ceiling as far as you can go 10-12 times, then half the distance 5-10 times. Do two to three sets. If you do one or a combination of both of these exercises 4-5 times a week, you'll be almost guaranteed to never have shin splint problems again. They'll be sore for the first few days, though. Smile Kelly - I don't know how you do it. My legs are tired just thinking about all that. And only 10 miles left to 2700 for the year - woo hoo!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ev - The Duck Walk is walking around on your heels, knees slightly bent, butt slightly sticking out.
                              ok...well, that's how I normally walk. Seriously though, thanks for the tips. Ultra...the yearly mileage is awesome! I want to be you when I grow up. Big grin
                                Howdy ~ My 5 miles w/hills collapsed into 3 miles. My right ankle and knee are not happy with me, and I decided to not push it. Running up hill made my ankle bark at me too much. I think I need new shoes as mine have 463 miles on them now. If I get out of here early today, I'm headed for the Jogg 'n Shoppe with my gift certificate from my coach. On top of all that, I just feel, well, not right. I think whatever is going on with me is escalating. I have had a constant low grade headache for over a week, and this morning from my eyeballs to the top of my forehead, the pressure is building by increments. This sucks. Am trying to get the CT scan scheduled at Mad River Hospital where the cost is supposedly about half of St. Joseph, and I also want to wait until after the first of the year so the balance of all this goes toward my HUGE deductible. In the meantime - bleck Dead . Not much sets well on my stomach. Thanks for letting me complain. Tongue

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance