Masters Running

Need advice on marathon training! (Read 31 times)

moebo

I hope you will all forgive me for sneaking into your forum with my problem, but I need help!

Some of you may remember me as mobobo from CR, where I started posting while I was training for my first marathon.

In the years since then, I have continued to run but have often been sidelined with injuries. I admit that I have not pushed myself much over the last few years, and have found myself running fewer and fewer miles. As a result, I have gotten much slower, but I have also not had any significant injuries, either.

This year, I decided to take advantage of my good health and finally try to train for (and run) what might very well be my last marathon ever: the New Hampshire Marathon on October 3rd. Everything was going well until about week 11 of my 18-week plan, when I had some hip pain after a mid-week seven miler. Having had some major hip injuries in the past, I prudently reduced my mileage with the hope that I might be able to at least complete the half. That cut-back was enough to allow me to pick up training again, and I started to think I could do the full after all.

My question: is it crazy to think I might be able to do this hilly race?  I f so, how long should I run this weekend?

Here's the background: I did 18 miles last weekend, but it was pretty much a disaster from about 16 miles to the end. I felt so nauseated afterward that I could barely walk, and it took me a full two hours to recover enough to get up and have something to eat. I think this major bonk was probably due to a combination of nutrition and hydration mistakes.

That was the longest run of my training, and it made me seriously question myself.  Before the 18 miles, I had done only a couple of 16-milers and a could pf 14-milers as extra-long runs. All of these were done on the hilliest sections of the marathon course. They all went very well.

Up to this morning, I had been planning to let myself recover from last week's failure by doing 14 this weekend and 20 next , with just a two-week taper before my race. However, now I wonder if I should move the 20 up to tomorrow instead, so that I have a full three weeks to taper for the race.

In the old days, I would not have worried about just leaving two weeks for a taper, but I am not as fit as I used to be...

I would appreciate any advice you might have—I may not post but I lurk quite often and know the value of your collective wisdom!

New skirt in town

It's so difficult to answer this without knowing a lot more about your training plan: total mileage, etc.  It sounds as if it has gone overall quite well for you, with the exception of needing to take that cutback week due to injury, and a lousy 18-miler.  Frankly, I don't really see much need to go beyond 18 miles in training: any more than that just exhausts me and sets me up for more injury.  Your description of your training sounds pretty solid with a bunch of 14-milers, a couple of 16-milers and one exhausting 18-miler.  I'd say learn from your mistakes on that last 18-miler, run it again tomorrow.  Ditch the 20-miler unless you are wedded to the self-confidence that might give you.  A well-run 18-miler will likely give you all the training benefit you need.  And then? Take a well-deserved 3-week taper, confident that you will go into your race well-rested and well-trained and injury-free.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

moebo

Thank you, Robin! I had never even considered not doing at least one 20-miler, but now that you have suggested it I realize it may be the perfect solution. I will run 18 miles tomorrow!

moebo

Update:

I just finished 18.43 miles, with the last 6.43 all at or under MP! I feel great and really happy with this compromise. Thanks, again, Robin.

#artbydmcbride

mobobo!!    Have a happy marathon!

Runners run

New skirt in town

That's a nice fast finish there! You should feel confident as you head into your taper!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

moebo

Hi Ilene!! Thanks! 

Thanks, Robin, I do feel confident! I am really looking forward to running this race. I am not going to get a PR, but I am pretty sure I will finish, and that's all I was hoping for when I started my training. Let the taper commence!