Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 12/14/08 (Read 412 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here’s what I have for last week's tally. Let me know if I missed you or messed up.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Hermosaboy100 New weekly-mileage PR – woohoo!! (and such a nice round number, too. Smile )
    Holly53.7 Hit the 2000-mile mark for this year.
    Barefoot Rick51 Hmmm....I see that you run in KS some days, and MO the others....
    Franc5945.82 Rest days are good, though.
    Slowgino45.5 What kind of dog do you have? Good stamina, that one.
    Ultrachick45 That darn life stuff – always getting in the way Smile
    Evanflein44.5 She’s back!
    Perch44 Disappointed in HM, but weren’t you off by less than a minute? Still darn good.
    JDMom343 I’m curious, do you ever find that the soreness from the weight-lifting effects your runs? (something I’m trying to juggle – increase in weights vs. speedwork).
    PeterNC42.7 Solid and steady
    Pfriese40 Out sick for a couple days, but still getting the miles in.
    Mainerunnah37.4 Back from vacation.
    WillRunForBeer35.8 Pfitz recovery week
    TomD25.9 Sore foot much improved – very good.
    Dopple Bock?? Still waiting for total
    SLOjim Free Pass Heal up my friend
    Here’s my plan for the week. We have a lot of “wintry mix” forecast, so this may change up a bit, depending on road conditions.
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Weights and abs
    Tuesday7-9 8 miles 5.3 miles outside, followed by intervals on TM
    Wednesday6-7 5.3 miles Easy pace on TM
    Thursday6-7 7.05 5.6 miles outside, then intervals on TM
    Friday0 1 mile On TM, plus weights and abs
    Saturday12+ 7.35 miles Easy pace
    Sunday7-9 16 miles 13.15 wave run, 2.85 TM
    Total? 44.7 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I did make 40 plus last week, though barely. Saturday was busy and I could not run til nearly 5:00 pm. Needless to say, I was very unmotivated to do it but I forced myself! Hopefully, this week will be better: Sunday - off Monday - 8 (1:01:38) Tuesday - 6 TM (47:00) and leg weights / abs Wednesday - 12 (1:32:15) Thursday - 6 wet miles (untimed) Friday - 6 TM (48:00) and weights Saturday - 6 TM (48:00) Total: 44 Meg

Once a runner . . .

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Holly... intense work this week so will squeeze what I can in when ever.. Mon - Rest (done w/ some planks and free weight stuff) Tues - 8 mi with 4 miles tempo (7:30 target) (8 mi with 4 mi avg 7:39) Wed - 8 mi GA (8.4 mi at 8:23 hills) Thu - 6 mi EZ (6 mi at 8:40 in rain, tripped, road rash Sad ) Fri - 8 mi (8.4 mi progression 9:00 to 7:05) Sat - 4 mi (4 mi recovery at 9:28 pace) Sun - 17 mi LR (17 mi at 8:18 pace) Total - 50 ish? Actual: 51.9 mi Good week, totally enjoyable running!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ultrachick

I've decided to take the rest of the month easy-I'm hoping to maintain 40 a week but who knows...I'll keep you in the loop Big grin Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Thanks Holly, I know I slipped a little last week so I'll have to pick it up a bit this week. Wink Monday - 6.02 progression miles - 46:41 - (7:45) 8:32 - 8:13 - 7:52 - 7:27 - 6:50 - 7:36 - :08 Tuesday - 6.02 easy miles - 50:29 - (8:24) - 8:24 - 8:24 - 8:22 - 8:24 - 8:21 - 8:23 - :11 Wednesday - 7.05 miles - 51:12 - (7:16) 1 mile w/u - 8 x .5 mile intervals w/1:30 recovery .15 - 1 mile c/d. 8:01 - 3:10 - 1:30 - 3:08 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:10 - 1:30 - 3:06 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:01 - 7:45 Thursday - 5.02 miles on the treadmill - 42:38 (8:30) - 8:30 - 8:30 - 8:30 - 8:28 - 8:29 - :09 Friday – Unscheduled non-running day for me as I ended up getting called in early for the Ice Storm as it created havoc everywhere in our community. We were basically without power in almost the whole town. Saturday - 12 easy miles - 1:42:12 (8:31) – Cloudy and 15 degrees as we headed out into areas of Saco and OOB that were hardest hit and still without power to see the damage....it was a bit weird running through areas we normally do with the early morning peace and quiet broken by the constant drone of generators! Sunday - 10 easy miles - 1:27:00 (8:42) - Cloudy and 14 degrees as we headed out to another hard hit area in the Hills Beach, Biddeford Pool area and once again nothing but the sound of generators humming away as people tried to keep warm and maintain their sanity during this crisis. I ended up with 46.1 miles for the week.
              I ran about 35.8 last week, all GA or recovery -- sorry I didn't report. It was a Pfitz recovery week so I don't feel bad about it. I should get 40 in this week, I think. I will try to post the plan later when I have time.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I’m curious, do you ever find that the soreness from the weight-lifting effects your runs? (something I’m trying to juggle – increase in weights vs. speedwork).
                Holly, I definitely find my running is affected by leg weight workouts like squats and lunges, though that gets much better after the initial soreness from starting those exercises. Even so, whenever I increase weight or reps I have sore legs for a couple of days afterwards. I think if you keep it up regularly, though, it will affect you less. I am not currently doing speedwork but I would just avoid it the day or two after lifting. Regular runs are fine, though you might be a bit slower than usual until the soreness lifts. Meg

Once a runner . . .

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Thank you Holly! This is the week I get to meet Mariposai and Divechief not to mention Tet and Enke ,whom I already know...memorable..... Mon: 7 miles ,Garmin died on me after the first 3 steps on the trail... Tue: 7.43 , in the rain.. Wed: 7.61 Thur: 5.27 Fri: ran out of time .. Sat:5.4 Sun: 3.1 Jingle bell 5K race Total: 35.81....came up a bit short this week.... Francesca
                  TomD

Thanks Holly, I hope to do much better this week. Winter has arrived here in Kansas City with snow and ice. Monday - Rest Tuesday - 10.60 Wednesday - 5.00 Thursday - 14.20 Friday - Saturday - 17.00 Sunday - Total Miles - 46.80 TomD
                    HermosaBoy

Holly, I definitely find my running is affected by leg weight workouts like squats and lunges, though that gets much better after the initial soreness from starting those exercises. Even so, whenever I increase weight or reps I have sore legs for a couple of days afterwards. I think if you keep it up regularly, though, it will affect you less. I am not currently doing speedwork but I would just avoid it the day or two after lifting. Regular runs are fine, though you might be a bit slower than usual until the soreness lifts. Meg
                      Just to add my two cents... I do my lifting on Sundays after my long run. Monday is pretty much a recovery day and as long as I take it easy, I am able to do speedwork on Tuesday.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I do my lifting on Sundays after my long run.
                        You are a beast!! I can't do anything much except lie on the couch after long runs. If I were doing speedwork, I would do it either Tuesday or Thursday mornings and lift in the afternoon, then take an easy day the next day.

Once a runner . . .

HermosaBoy

You are a beast!! I can't do anything much except lie on the couch after long runs. If I were doing speedwork, I would do it either Tuesday or Thursday mornings and lift in the afternoon, then take an easy day the next day.
                          It's the compounding effect for me. Example: Saturday -- Speedwork Sunday -- Strength -- Long run and lift on somewhat tired legs Monday -- RECOVERY Tuesday -- Speed Wednesday -- Strength -- Med Long (8 to 13 or running 7.5 mile ski hill loop in summer) on somewhat tired legs Thursday -- RECOVERY (may be med distance -- up to 10 miles) Friday -- RECOVERY

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

pfriese

Holly, Thanks for the tabulations and comments once again, it is appreciated. Also, congrats on hitting that 2000 mile mark for the year.
                            DayPlanActualComment
                            Mondayrest day7.6 miles - done9:33/mi avg pace
                            Tuesday5 milesrest day - done
                            Wednesday8 miles8.1 miles - done8:42/ mi avg pace
                            Thursday8 miles 8.1 miles - done9:47/mile avg pace
                            Fridayrest dayrest day - done
                            Saturday16 miles4.9 mile run - done 5K race - done 4.8 mile run - done9:29/mile avg pace 7:29/mile avg pace 9:27/mile avg pace
                            Sundayrest day8.3 miles - done9:44/mile avg pace
                            Total40 miles44.9 miles - Done
                            Paul

Hill Runner

Thanks again Holly! This thread keeps me motivated Sun 13.3 Mon -- Tue 10.2 Wed -- Thus -- Fri 10.2 Sat 7:44 41.2 Miles for the week on only 4 runs

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

evanflein

I wasn't sure if I could pull it off after last week, but things feel good and I think 40+ will be easy enough now.
                                DayPlanActualComment
                                MondayXTwts & pool runUpper body wts/abs, 10 mins (1.1 mile) elliptical, 40 min pool running
                                Tuesday5 miles5.06 milesEasy pace
                                Wednesday6 miles7.05 milesProgression run, plus 1.06 mile elliptical, legs/abs at noon
                                Thursday5 miles5.5 mileswth half mile repeats @ 7:41
                                FridayRest Day0 milesFirst rest day since Nov. 18
                                Saturday8 miles9 miles8:44/mile avg pace outside at +1F and snow trails
                                Sunday18 miles18.22 milesFirst 13 outside with -5 temps, last 5.22 on the TM (and the last 4.22 at 8:34, which I'll be lucky to have as MP)
                                Total42 miles44.8 milesplus lots of XT