Masters Running

Tue Feb 26 Runs and Workouts (Read 589 times)

Mary, good on you getting out there and even adding on. I often find that the runs I really don't feel like going out and doing are the ones that turn out to be some of my nicest. Poor weary, Ribs. I hope that coffee was a triple espresso and the day turns out to be a good one. Twocat, sorry to hear about your friend. Encourage her to keep running. Maybe even set some running goals now. If she's at all feeling what I've felt, she'll have a lot to draw from in trying to reach them. And, it's a good distraction, too. It's nice she has you as a friend who seems to understand. (Wait, though, you say active women are rare? Hmpf. What about active men? Wink Neither around these parts. Lots to work with here.) Steve, I saw that photo and couldn't even think of a response! Life size? Big grin My DS's sore throat he came home with yesterday kicked into a nasty cough overnight, so I'm hanging at home for the a.m. and will pop into the office a bit later. I'm a bit worried it coming on so fast is bad sign, so will go around disinfecting the entire house in a bit. A nice run down to Golden Gardens beach with my friend A. last evening, then yoga. Both felt great. Track work with the group tonight, but I'll stick to either a few strides or a few hill repeats behind the track.
    btb1490

Eliz- Congrats on the long run accomplishment! That's awesome! And that was pretty funny what you said about kid-training! Finally, you are lucky to have a good podiatrist too! Actually, I had two good one's, one moved away recently. But talk about passionate about feet, the first time I went to see this guy, my appointment took 1 hour because the first 1/2 hour was spent learning the history and evolution and mechanics of your feet. He was so animated! Good luck with your appointment today. PJH- hey, whatever it takes to get that body out the door is a good thing, even if it means tricking it. bap- seems your leg is still cooperating. Great! WRFB- were you recovering from your BURP meeting? perch- whisper quiet feet... nice! I followed the leader of a 10k on my bike once. His name was Joseph Nzau. Even though I was no more than 10 feet away from him, you could not even hear his feet hitting the ground. He was amazing to watch. You were running like he was today. breger- Cool! I didn't even realize that David Bowie was a runner! hopeful4ever- don't you love when you expect the worst and get the best? Spareribs- the bright side is you saved yourself some walking and got some extra time to enjoy your coffee. Have you tried any pool running? I would think most of the hotels you stay at have pools. Twocat- you are lucky to have a partner in crime in your wife with your athletic endeavors. Sorry to hear about your friend, but the end of something means the beginning of something else, as you said. All the best to her. btw... when the time is right, do you have her phone#? Wink Holly- that was a cute story about your daughter! Imitation is the best form of flattery! Smile Good luck with the upcoming weather. PeterNC- you can be our official spring countdown timer. Tramps- nothing like impending rain to speed up a workout! lyndenrunner- the question is "What is the opposite of Reast?" Is that right? SteveP- hit that foot with some ice, and relace your shoes to take pressure off the area. Good luck! Craneium- that stinks when work gets in the way like that! dg- Hi! Smile Keep a ziplock bag in your car to scoop up some of that snow next time. Works great. 14 hilly, chilly, predawn, tired legged, black iced, lung and sinus purging miles this morning. No wind! A rarity around here. The effort was greater than the pace indicated, still a sign that I'm still fighting this sinus and chest infection. Oh well. Light cloudcover hid the moon, so it was pretty dark. I don't have to worry about streetlight lights being burned out at least, because there are no streetlights! I love the progression of colors as the run goes on. First, black skies with just a tiny shimmer of red in the east. Then the skies turn more pastel. Then for a short minute or two, when the sun is just at the right angle to relect it's light off the bottom of the clouds, there is an explosion of fiery red covering about 1/3 of the sky. Then as quickly as it came, it's gone, finally leaving just grey skies. Get well wishes to everyone under the weather, or dealing with injuries. Keep posting regardless please. Make today better than yesterday gang!
      TammyinGP

That's a great soundtrack Holly. I'm listening to that youtube right now in the background. My son has that movie and I'll watch it over and over just for the music soundtrack! love it. Nice runs all and nice rest, Gordon Cool heading to the gym for a 4 mile run during the lunch hour, then I'm off to serve my last day of Grand Jury this afternoon. It's been a fun experience, but I'm glad it's coming to an end.

Tammy

Rest day for me as well, but the daily is still great fun to read. Way to go Eliz 4015!! I loved reading about your run and the longest yet without breaks. Awesome! Spareribs, your post cracked me up. Have any of you fellow travelers heard the alarm and rolled over into the wall? I do that all the time thinking I am rolling toward the bathroom and then realizing....oh wait, this isn't the (insert name of generic ---low cost hotel here), the bathroom is on the other side of the bed! I also have the rental car challenge where I arrive late in the evening and park my ubiquitous white rental car in a row of other white rental cars. The next morning is always interesting. If you hear a car alarm go off in the early morning at your hotel, it's probably me pressing the alarm button on the key fob to find the car. Holly, ditto what others said about your DD stories. I can just picture that! Good days to all and whether you are running, resting or working out, enjoy! CNYrunner
            Oh, that is a good one, Holly. Not sure I'd like the entire Happy Feet soundtrack, though (though I haven't heard it). I don't have any Pink. My ipod "guilty pleasures," as I call them, are some songs by Gwen Stefani and Fergie. Do you have any? But my latest love is Radiohead's new CD, In Rainbows. I'm temporarily trading in Bono for Thom Yorke, I think. What music, what poetry.

Marathon Maniac #957

Soundie – I wasn’t that familiar with Pink, but when U and Your Hand came out, I got her I’m Not Dead CD from the library and really fell in love with her soulful Janice Joplin-like sound. I downloaded the entire CD into my music folder, with no omissions – unusual for me. I’m not familiar with Radiohead – I’ll have to check that out. I’m very lucky in that our library system has a huge music collection.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Afternoon Gang Nice run Mary, Spareribs, you are a cracker, I'm always forgetting names, we have 200 staff, forver getting new staff as soon as I can remember their name, they've been promoted. BTb you are a brave one suffering the sinus and doing that run. Today I did a very hilly 12m trail run, been looking after DD for 2 days, as she had a tummy bug but is feeling better now. Anyway: 12m 02:15:52 @ 11:19 pace AHR 155 73% Good Runs All Roy
                SteveP

Sorry to hear about your friend TwoCat. Even when ending a relationship only makes sence, it still stinks.
                  good morning! Steve, that license plate tip will come in mighty handy. how do you remember the state? .
                  It was either Michigan or Ohio....Where ever I picked up a company car on the way to KY, IN or IL. When I was in Deffiance Ohio I was lucky enough to have a vehicle with the panic button. With company trucks it was easy, just find the big @$$ white truck with the logo on the side....This is also a free tip....When illegally parking on OSU campus, do not have a Michigan plate on the car....Even if others are also parked in the same lot illegally. If only one vehicle gets towed, guess which one it would be? Any idea as to how long you'll be limping DG???? Thanks BTB...RICE.

SteveP

Henrun

Marj and I are struggling with knee miseries. Mine comes and goes (for years now-exams always negative), but I keep on running. Marj is much worse than mine gets and is now resting awaiting an MRI. I ran short ones the last 3 days but swam today. Trying to go once weekly-hard to do with travelling-but trying to get back on a regular schedule now. Felt very relaxed after swim (almost as relaxed as after my weekly yoga) and noticed that my knee felt much better. Now off to yoga.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Gang....still sick today, but I "think" I feel a little better this afternoon. I have not been able to sleep very well, and having these crazy crazy dreams, and my body aches all over. And yes, I am at work, but isolated from others just getting my paper work done in my office...I'm not infecting anyone else. And boy...I am eating like a pig...and feeling like a slug. It's amazing how a couple of days off running makes us feel. huh? It hard to come here and read of others runs when sick, but I will be back out there in a day or so. Good job everyone....you all inspire and motivate me!!!!!!!!!! "Cough cough" Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Steve, hee. I can relate to that one. DD & I were driving about Columbus during one of the games.... I vaguely remember it was an upset, esp. to an OSU fan. Considering our MI plates -- we drove defensively & found a safe haven before it ended! re limping, thanks for asking. No, I really don't know what to expect. the 4 weeks I read about when it first happened didn't turn out to be quite accurate. Shocked I'm hoping today didn't set me back. next time I'll try btb's ziplock tip, thanks btb . the plan is to keep making progress. (that sounded funny. there've been setbacks) nice run, nice HR Roy! glad DD's feeling better. I hate tummy bugs. {{{ Marj & Henrun's knees }}} {{{ all the sickies}}}
                          Hi Gang....still sick today, but I "think" I feel a little better this afternoon. I have not been able to sleep very well, and having these crazy crazy dreams, and my body aches all over.
                          That's kind of how my cold went. I took last week off and loaded up on Zicam. If you are feeling a cold coming on, get the Zicam meltables and start taking them every 3 hours. Follow the directions. Ignore the claims of 'delicious cherry flavor' as that wears off in about 30 mS and you're stuck with metalic chalk. No, it did not shorten the duration of the cold, but it really did lessen the severity of the cold. I never took anything else, like sudafed, until the last 2 days when I took some cough suppressant. I took the week off anyway because I can't really afford to be 'SICK' since I can't work if I'm SICK. I was a little worried that the running would be a bit more stress than my immune system could handle. YMMV. Hope you all get well! I did actually run yesterday. I was short on time and decided to sneak a run in between work and my CPR refresher course. Managed 2.7 miles in 54F weather. Went out in SHORTS and a short sleeve shirt. Wow. Was a good run, too. Today I did something I hope I don't live to regret. One of the other therapists in my building dared me to enter the Danskin Tri in August with her. I registered today. Now I have to find a place to practice swimming. And train to swim. And swim in open water. The biking and running I'm ok with. All 3 in one day in August? With open water swimming? Holy C@ap what did I just do? Shocked Now back to our regular programming ....
                          Have you got a flag?
                          munchkn883

Nothing for me today. Last night I had to ice my lower back (tailbone) and it felt much better while I was laying on the sofa. When I sit up, it aches. Cry
                              Managed to get in 30 minutes of weights/stability ball between appointments. I was pretty sore this morning, but then I remembered that it hasn't been that long since I was even more sore after running 1 or 2 miles, rather than 5. Just really exhausted now. Not sure if I'm getting the crud or just plain worn out. Hopefully the results of today's blood work will reveal something; something easily treated. I'm feeling like I might be part alien, or at least something other than human, today. Tech had to stick me three times Shocked before she could find a vein that would work. Of course, she felt obligated to describe the whole procedure in minute detail - the absolute last thing I need to hear while she's rooting around in my veins with a needle. I didn't faint, but came about as close to it as you can without actually blacking out. Then had to get fingerprinted to update my teaching credentials and the computer rejected four of my fingerprints! It seems that neither of my ring fingers or pinkies have "acceptable" fingerprints. So if I ever have a really bad day and want to strangle a student, I just have to figure out how to do it using only those four fingers. (Kidding!) Twocat - love the comment about active women having better prospects. Hope it proves true for me. Sorry about your friend, but she's lucky to have a buddy like you. Holly - great story about your DD. I have an almost-5 yo niece who's quite the drama queen - I can just picture her doing something like that. Craneium - I got the oil changed in my car today. Does that count as "something expensive" to celebrate yesterday's run? I have a hair appointment next week and am definitely planning to schedule a massage there sometime soon. I'm much more into pampering than more stuff, except running gear, of course. Wink btb - awesome description of the sunrise. I get to watch the sunrise over the ocean when I run during the summer; one more reason I can't wait for June! Smile fbgrrl - A tri? You go, girl. I'm with you on the trepidation about swimming in open water, or "real" water, as I think of it. My running store is starting a training class for new runners soon. I did it last year, but they're adding a part for people interested in dual's and tri's this year, too. I'm thinking dual maybe, tri, not for a long, long time. Definite rest day for me tomorrow. Going out to dinner and then to see the musical at the high school with a group of colleagues. Could care less about seeing a H.S. production of "Footloose," but this year's seniors were my first 5th graders, so I really have to (and want to) support them. Good runs, all, Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Late posting for an early run. I just ran out of time this morning. 10 miles at 10:11 pace. A little drizzly at the start, but thankfully the actual precipitation stopped though it was pretty damp and cold. The rain is picking up now, to be joined by my friend, the wind, later tonight. Ribs - we were at a Bethesda Marriott last Thursday for the service award reception at which WRFB was honored for 25 years with our company. I've got 23 years, and we're always a little ticked off that we have never won anything in the door prize raffle at our annual Christmas party. You'd think with 48 combined years of service, our number would come up. Lots of illness and injury out there. Take it easy, folks.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason