Masters Running

Tue Feb 26 Runs and Workouts (Read 589 times)

Terrific Tuesday. Eliz - I was so happy about your news yesterday. Wasn't that long ago that I was on top of the world because I ran a full 10K on the TM, psst - including walk breaks! fbgrrl - we would miss out on so much if we didn't ever get out of our comfort zones. Good luck on the TRI! Easy 6.14 mile run today. Had a never seen before runner guy in funky tights say hi to me rather enthusiastically. (that always makes this old woman's day!) I felt tough in my shorts. I have a new shorts threshold of 40F, instead of the old 45F. Since my legs felt strong walking up the mega stairs to the gym (my usual litmus test), I decided today would be speed day. After a 2 mile w/u, I set out for a 2 mile tempo at 8:30 pace. As always, I started too fast, the Garmin kept saying 7:38 or something, so I knew only one mile was in the cards. I watched the pace creep up to 8:00 and even go slightly over it, with about 1 minute left in the mile. I gave it all I had, I was feeling pukey, but DAMN IT, I wanted my first ever sub 8:00 mile! I didn't see the final split and just finished the run easy. I came home to download the data, fully expecting a 7:58 mile, and fooey, it was 8:00 even! Ouch!! Still a mile PR for me. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

PDR, you and Mr. Beer have been at your company for a long time! I've been with my company for 19 years, and the other day one of the young guys said, "wow, 19 years ago I was in 6th grade!" Sure made me feel like an old lady. Sad Any of the rest of you stayed at one place that long? Eliz, I went to jr high and high school in the philly suburbs - what school do you teach at? I went to Lower Merion High School, and my parents still live in Wynnewood. No run for me today - it snowed last night so the trails will be muddy, and the sidewalks are too concrete. I ran yesterday on concrete, and can't do it two days in a row. But tomorrow its supposed to be in the 50s so I'm looking forward to a longer trail run in shorts!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

3 miles for me between my dayjob and my night job. Lucky I can run in the parking area and change in my office. wildchild, I have been at my latest job for 18 years and last year they had me do the inroductions and honors for the retirees! That made me realize I must be one of the old guys now too. Oh well I guess I am closer to retirement also. Wonder which of those young wipper snappers will give me my retirement honors? Signed up for the Bayshore Marathon today!!! This will be my first I cant wait until May 24th . Although I will need every day of it to prepare. Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

sending healing vibes to all our sick and achy runners (and families) yesterday rested and just did some stretching and massage with the foam roller (ouchie) along with some ab work while i watched Raisin in the Sun today - planned to go out for 6 but felt good and the snow/rain hadnt started yet so i kept going 7.75 miles 1:16:10 for an avg pace of 9:49 - funny that my quads feel so sore even tho hyannis wasn't a hilly 1/2 at all then did some ab and yoga work with On Demand TV - i wish i remembered to use that channel more often - felt good!! now it's snowing muc harder than they predicted - wonder how much we'll end up with........Spring is on the way - isn't it????

denise

Manchild

.....More Rest.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I felt tough in my shorts. I have a new shorts threshold of 40F, instead of the old 45F.
              Hey, guess what? Me, too! Of course, that will all change just as soon as I shave my legs again. Big grin Big congrats on the mile PR!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

Enke, I opted for shorts at 42, even though it was cloudy and threatening rain. Thought I might regret it, but I wasn't disappointed. Some XT then 4 miles with about 500m of 5k toward the end. despite my Past Employment Fantasy Problems, 28 years and counting, pretty much same desk, same job, fewer hours though Big grin jjj I should've stuck it out at Harvard Divinity School. I had to drop out after a few semesters. I was having nightmares about dying and going to Yale.
                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

Head Procrastinator

Hey, guess what? Me, too! Of course, that will all change just as soon as I shave my legs again. Big grin Big congrats on the mile PR!
                  SNORK!! Way Too Much Info!
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    Got 6 easy miles in today after work. The extra time paid off although footing was starting to get slippery with the snow falling. Had a great conversation with a student at school today. I teach in an elementary school and run a 20 week marathon program where kids run/walk/do other exercise to reach at least 26.2 miles and get at least 130 cups of fruits and vegetables over the 20 weeks. anyone who completes it gets a finisher's medal at the end. One student who has always been heavy was telling me all the trails that he and his brother and mother have been exploring at a local park. He said his Mom told him she lost weight while they have all been getting their miles in. Small victories are sometimes the best. have a great evening everyone!
                    dg.

Steve, look what you've done. Shocked Big grin hi Hally! congrats from me too, enke! craneium, that's really nice.
                        Craneium - awesome story. It's great to hear that you're making such a positive impact and even better to hear that you're getting the feedback now, from the kid himself. I love it that your marathon program is for all of the kids, not just the ones who would participate in sports anyway. Wild - small world. Just went to a good-bye dinner for a colleague who got a job at Lower Merion and know several of the music teachers there. I go to church in Bryn Mawr; work two districts away from LM, at T/E. Along with the job longevity thread - this is my 8th year in this school district. Longest I've ever worked for the same organization. Thirteenth year of teaching. I'm ready for a change, but my bank account isn't, and I'm not really sure what to change to just yet. Besides, in middle school everything changes, oh, about every 10 minutes, so even though I'm often exhausted, I'm rarely bored. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

evanflein

I've been with my company for 19 years, and the other day one of the young guys said, "wow, 19 years ago I was in 6th grade!" Sure made me feel like an old lady. Sad Any of the rest of you stayed at one place that long?
                          Oh that's funny. Dratted kids. I work in HR, and have been at the university a little over 17 years now. I'm enrolling new employees in retirement plans who were born after I graduated from college! Good grief. Enke, I was cheering for you to have that sub-eight!! Next time, for sure. Getting ready to head out of here. Realizing I have only one day to get too much done, then it's off to AZ!! I will be wearing shorts...
                          SteveP

. Getting ready to head out of here. Realizing I have only one day to get too much done, then it's off to AZ!! I will be wearing shorts...
                            We'll need pictures

SteveP

SteveP you make me laugh almost on a daily basis. thanks!
                                Holly..... Big grin I used to see how long I could go without shaving my legs, an act driven by sheer laziness and a general lack of vanity. Only during winter of course, when I worked in an environment where people wore jeans all the time (no dressing up). Several months would go by......then one night while cuddling with DH, he asked me if the cat had crawled under the blankets again. Nope, those are just my legs honey! Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."