Masters Running

I can not believe this is happening to me… (Read 406 times)

Mariposai

This morning my wildest dream as a runner came true…I ran a 5k and I took first place in my AG in the local Sun Run 5k. This race is part of the natives’ spring celebration along with many other traditional celebrations such as pow wow, drumming and dancing contest, etc. I must admit that I am ecstatic about the result of the race since the course was not a fast course by any means. The wind and the hills on the way back were great obstacles for anyone like me to keep a speedy pace plus the gobs of children who entered in the race (all the students from the boarding school participates in the event plus the local elementary school bus their kids to the event). The course of the race is an out and back (or I should say down and up). The race starts at the Pascal Sherman Indian Boarding School; it takes you down to the Omak Lake and back up again to the school. The strategy: (let the race come to me going down -at an 8 mile pace- and run as if my hair was caught on fire on the way back up- at a 8:30 mile pace if the hill and the strong head wind would allow it) The implementation For this one time I decided to line up at the very front so I can go ahead with the speedy runners and gain ground on the kids. Since I have done this race every year for the last 10 years, I knew that I have to stay ahead of the kids unless I wanted to push them aside a-la-Econo Wink. I also knew that I have to watch out not to go out too fast like I have done in prior years because I would pay for it dearly on the way back. The half way point found me at just a bit over 12 minutes; with a happy smile and a big “thank you” to the volunteers I turn around to run back to the finish line. The way back was much harder than I anticipated. Like I said the wind and the mob of kids who were running downhill made it even harder to keep a steady pace. I tried to high five as many young athletes as I could and even was stopped two times briefly to receive a hug from the kids I new. I must admit that the hugs provided a nice break to catch my breath before hitting the hills again. By the time the last rolling hill came to view I decided to speed up a bit more and got to the finish line at 26:32. A course PR of 2:10 and a 1st in AG. I got a very cool t-shirt designed by a local native artist as a prize. Afterwards I joined the crowd to get a free lunch of baked salmon, Indian fried bread, camas roots, and huckleberries for dessert. I came back home thinking how blessed I am to live just across the river from an Indian reservation which allows me to participate in their rituals and celebrations.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

WOW!!! Congratulations on a fantastics time and a HUGE improvement in PR Mari!!! You RAWK!!! And nice spread afterwards too!

Tammy

I almost didn't open this topic because, frankly, your avatar kinda creeps me out. I don't have any issues with snakes or most other creatures, but spiders... Your Kick avatar is much friendlier Smile. Anyway, I'm glad I did. Mariposai, you ran a super race! It sounds like you ran the perfect race for the course & conditions, and the results certainly show it. The food sounds interesting, too, and worth entering for that alone. Keep up the good work, and I hope that your "runner's high" lasts through the holiday weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

nowor

Congratulations on a 2+ course PR w/ despite ups and downs and mucho wind and kiddos. And the AG award. I bet your smile was as big as your heart is. How about modeling the kewl shirt? Mari, your RR take us to the best places!
            Congratulations...an AG win!!!! I'm so happy for you! Nice strategy and implementation. I'm gonna try getting up front next time...then I'll try to let the race come to me....hair on fire???....OK, I'll try it! Good work!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            wildchild

Carolyn

In my last race there were a bunch of kids, too - it was sponsored by an elementary PTA. I was beaten by a 4th grader! Did any of the fast kids beat you? Congrats on the 1st in AG, and I LOVE the sound of salmon and huckleberries after the race. Yummm...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations on your PR and winning your AG! I like the "run like your hair's on fire" strategy! Made me laugh. What a great meal afterward too. You should post a pic of the shirt if you get the chance.
                TammyinGP

hijack for a moment . . . Mari - see Joni's avatar?? CUTE little turtle . . . Blush See your avatar? not a cute little spider Tight lipped

Tammy

hijack for a moment . . . Mari - see Joni's avatar?? CUTE little turtle . . . Blush See your avatar? not a cute little spider Tight lipped
                    I wasn't gonna say anything, but that spider avatar is kinda skeery....
                    SteveP

Sweet RR!!!! The after race feast sounds like the best!!! And you got an AG win!!! Kewl!!!

SteveP

wooooooooohooooooooo congratulations!! nice race!! Big grin

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mari...the excitement in your post says it all....wonderful job girl....you rock!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congratulations Mari!! After 10 yrs running this race it must be very special! And no kids got pushed out of the way Big grin Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, congratulations!! How exciting. How neat that you get to participate in the reservation's activities! Now you have a long weekend ahead to enjoy your victory!
                              huskydon

Believe it!! Congratulations on AG win! Wow! You had a good plan and executed it well. And a free lunch to boot. Woo Hoo! huskydon