Masters Running

Wednesday, 7.29.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Very interesting posts yesterday about music, great-looking scallops, solving cholesterol & fatigue problems, daughters maturing wonderfully, what doing a good job for your customers is all about, and, oh yeah, running!

Our meeting yesterday afternoon with the utility about the proposed easement over conservation land was very interesting, with ideas and objections put on the table, but nothing resolved as of yet. They have some decisions to make.

We had a very interesting and productive 3.5 hour conservation commission meeting last night. However, I talked way too much with an already sore throat, and could barely speak any more by the time it was time to say good night. Because of that, and because I didn't get to bed till way late (for me), I stayed in and read a bit this morning instead of heading out for a workout. So it goes.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy USRD, Jay.

3.9 drippy, but quicker than expected miles this morning.  Average pace was 9:18, so i belive faster than my last official 5K.  Happy about that.

What I'm very unhappy about is that I managed to lose my car keys at some point after I open the front door after work.  Not enough time to tear the house apart this morning, so driving on the spare and hoping for some success tonight.  Not looking forward to the thought of replacing two sets of keys with remotes. blah.

then to rub it in, DW posted this from the island this moring.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

I'm Back !!!

Another RAGBRAI in the books. You would think that after 7 days of riding bikes, drinking beer, dancing in streets, hitting 50 yard slip and slides, swimming in farm ponds, staying up late, eating pie, pork chops and turkey drumsticks, sleeping and showering in strangers homes that one would be ready for it all to end. I always hate the last day.

I'm still trying to get back to my regular routine.

I haven't run yet since my return home on Saturday but like yesterday, I plan to tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

I always hate the last day.

Yeah, the last day of vacation is always painful. But welcome back! The good news is, it sounds like you got enough exercise and activity that you burned off the calories in all that beer and food!

Take care of that sore throat Jay.

Nice run Kevin! And how mean of your DW to send you that picture while you're frantically looking for car keys. Good luck with that.

I sure hope you get some answers Ribs. And I feel bad that you've been on such a long streak of not feeling 100%.

I think your boss could use another 25 employees just like you Steve. And I think the Batman clothes really make a statement

4 miles this morning in 78° temps with about 90% humidity. The good news is a front is supposed to come through today that will lower the temps (which have been around 90° here - very warm by our standards) and humidity. The bad news is, no rain. We have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks. We're 5 inches below the normal rainfall for this time of the year.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all and welcome back Slo!  Did you dip your tire wheels in the Missouri and then the Mississippi?

So one of our RA folks, and an attendee at Robin's Boston Marathon party, Bob Hearn, is on the U.S. Spartathlon Team.  What's that? Read more here if you are interested (and it's all running, promise): http://www.spartathlon.gr/home.html

Looks like the US has 25 team members, 7 of whom are 50 or older .  Starts September 25th.  I bet one of our Ultra folks here knows about it; Scott Jurek's won it more than once, I believe.

7 for me this am after 6 x 600s with 200 jogs in between (no breaks) at Speedsters last night.  (That's 3 miles).  Makes me wonder about trying to run a 5K in a similar fashion; full tilt for 600, then easy, etc.    Might be easier.

Get better Jay and find those keys, Stumps (p.s., if you get to be "stumpy" then I wanna be "Spike" or "Legs" or somesuch )

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How about Unholy Speed Demon?  It's got a nice ring to it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Jeanne, went out for 4 in the same conditions after waking up at 5 am. Had wanted to leave before 6 because I had a class scheduled for 9. However, didn't get out till 6:30 and the temp and humidity were miserable then. Had a good run but felt ill after breakfast (GI symptoms) probably fatigue and heat related. Went back to bed, slept for almost an hour and missed my class.  Feel better now. I guess 81 year olds shouldn't overdo in H&H. As Marj says, "you can't teach old dogs new tricks"" Woof, woof.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks all.  Twocat, that NIH site and the Cochran essays are terrific. I did not find what I was looking for, but I now have a helpful resource going forward.  Thanks.

Tomwhite, you are correct.  To my surprise the cardiologist was 100% in favor of my wish to stop the statins completely.  So after today's lipid panel I'm off them for a month and returning Sept 4th for another lipid panel. I'll have today's test results on Friday.  They also did a CPK test, whatever that is, to see if there is any muscle damage.  I also am taking today off from running.  I almost never do that!

Aamos, I was really glad to hear that news about Bob Hearn. He is not only a great runner, but a really good guy and wicked smat. (And a heck of a lot smatter than Tom Brady.)    Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - sounds like you got that first sentence about an "interesting" and "productive" meeting from Secretary of State John Kerry, . . . but the rest is too truthful for government work. good job.

Thanks amy and good luck to the bearded one.
                      He and the regular starters passed me and other earlies in the early miles of the 2008 White River 50 Mile Endurance Race that I DNF'ed at mile 37 as if I had been standing still like one of wildchild’s trailside rocks, . . . oh, I guess I was.  Incidentally, with outstanding views of Mt. Rainier and as the national 50-mile trail championships every summer, White River is still awaiting participation of CNY’s ultra-friends and also of the ultra-goddesses herein.

http://www.spartathlon.gr/the-race/historical.html

The Spartathlon revives the footsteps of Pheidippides, an ancient Athenian long distance runner, who in 490 BC, before the battle of Marathon, was sent to Sparta to seek help in the war between the Greeks and the Persians. According to the ancient Greek historian Herodotus, Pheidippides arrived in Sparta the day after his departure from Athens.

Scott Jurek won in 2006/2007/2008.
                      Now that Scott's “retired,” he ran the Appalachian Trail

(2,189 miles) this summer in a record 46da/8hr7min.

Rochie and Slo’ve got me thinking about the annual two-day, 205-mile Seattle-to-Portland bike ride next summer (one-day for some) that I haven’t done since 1994. hmmmmm.
                      First summertime blue moon and second midnight madness swims of the month coming up on Friday.  You don’t have to be a swimmer to wade out into a warm lake to cool off, e.g. after a sunset run, and splash back to shore in the glory of mama moon’s shimmering silver shoon shining through the waves down to sandy beachbeds, each stroke splashing reflections like Fourth-of-July sparklers trying to catch your hair on fire. Even better with someone kicking even bigger sparklies in front.   Try it, you’ll like it too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - the heart is an important muscle too - certainly one you don't want to have wasting away on you.

Slo - sounds like a blast!

Mike - you are a great dad and grandpa.

Took DD to the orthodontist this morning.  Only $900 more and we'll have her braces paid off ($7400 total).  What I forgot to ask is how much longer she will have the braces on her teeth.

5.1  miles for me this morning in 75 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[[ ribbs ]].......hang in there

.......Welcome back slo////////

==========

30-min poolrun, deo

.........good running guys.............and Best Wishes to Spke........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Ribs, I have a strong feeling you are going to feel much better off the statins.

Tet - thinking about STP next year?  Maybe I can talk MBE into doing it in two days instead of one, and he and I can join you.  I just need to get a bike.

Nice photo Stumps.

A lovely 6.21 miles aka 10K this morning in badly needed new shoes (Brooks Launch....love em)  - first mile was sproinky, the rest, not so much.  Knee holding up well to this increase in mileage.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E perhaps I should not ask but how did Lori get converted to Larva?

tetsujin209 that and the news that zombies are not actually attacking L.A.  Well, maybe not the zombie news but yes the Mike E news from yesterday means the world is doing okay. 

tselbs if you ran today I hope it is cooler with a much lower dew point where you are than it is here.  Man is it hot and swampy out here!

Mariposai you are really going to have to update EP's handle at this rate!

SteveP yep, much easier to do a bad job and explain that should somehow be acceptable.

coastwalker man you have a LOT of meetings!  I would go crazy!

stumpy77 at least DW was too far away to get mad about the lost keys!  

Slo_Hand welcome back.  Good luck dropping all those pounds you apparently enjoyed putting on! 

Jlynne I hope you get some rain soon, or barring that at least a break in the heat and humidity.

AamosY somehow a race always seems easier than speed work to me!

henrun good call on recovering rather than going out.

Spareribs I have a question for you about how your slow roast tomatoes.  I tried putting fresh basil in with the tomatoes but the basil burned up before the tomatoes were ready to come out.  Do you put the basil on in the middle of roasting the tomatoes?  The basil sounds like a good idea but I cannot figure out how to make it work.  

Holly S. lol!  I guess dollars to go is one way to measure how long something will take!

tomwhite pool run.  You are one tough dude!

enkephalin I have several spirit fires going to keep you knee in 100% good, at least through the relay!, shape!  I am going to go back and waive some wolfsbane over them to see if that helps.

Even I have to admit it is HOT here!  Wow.  Feels absolutely great to be outside!   Yep, I tell you a close ancestor of mine is a lizard.  I am definitely cold blooded.  Now, as to running in this heat with the dew point at 67° is another story!  Fortunately, I planned my week out so that today was an elliptical day.  That and a make some bourbon-brown sugar glazed turkey on the grill tonight day!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

Hi all,

Got in 9 miles this morning and then received the second job offer.

Now the dilemma really kicks in!  The new offer is around 15% higher in base salary.  If they will let me continue with my coaching by allowing a flexible schedule, it is going to be difficult to pass up...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob