Masters Running

40s+ On the Run w/e 3/22 (Read 314 times)

I’ve heard it said about nature that trees bend low with ripened fruit Clouds hang down with gentle rain Noble men bow graciously This is the way of generous things —Swami Sivananda Good morning 40s+ ! Let's get this running thing going! 9 easy paced miles for me yesterday. I just finished a recovery week and looking forward to the homestretch that will finish off the training for my April 26 marathon. Looking to get in added miles from now thru the first of April, then taper on down. Great weather on tap for OK this week? Jim, hows the weather up north? I see that arla has a marathon planned in May. You're sure getting some good mileage in. Joe, do you have a race planned in the near future? Ultra...how's the personal training thing going? I see you got a 20 miler in a short time back. Fato....got your bags packed? Are you going to start the running and x-training weekly thread this week? I'll pick it up when you leave. Carol....hope to see pics of San Fran and Bryce Canyon (if you made it there). Hey Jewels, Salty, mtnck. Hey to evryone else. Let's hear about evryone's runs and stuff.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Hey Ev, thanks for starting the week off! Sounds like you are right on plan for your 4/26 marathon Smile. Is this your first? Leslie, been meaning to ask how your kitty is doing? Only got in a walk with Katy over the weekend. The cold is mostly gone though, so hoping to get out for a short run today. Also hope to have maintained at my WW weigh in tonight since I called off point counting to focus on getting well last week. God willing, hub and I are off to San Fran on Saturday. I think our kennel and pet sitting bill may be higher than our hotel bill!
      Progress Trumps Pefection
        Ev - Got the weekly started. Thanks for the reminder. Didn't get to check in yesterday. Carol - What time do you guys get into San Fran on Saturday? We fly out on the red eye at 10:00 p.m., so we're not in any rush to get down there. I'll get my run in that a.m., and we'll probably toodle down through the Napa Valley. Regarding our old kitty - he's hanging in there, poor guy. I can definitely see more of the senility setting in, so I'm keeping a close watch on him. We have someone coming in every 3rd day while we're gone to give him his fluids. Plus we have "kitty laxatives" that we give him. It seems to be helping. I just have this feeling that before the end of the year we'll have to make a decision. Definitely NOT looking forward to that, but the last thing I want is for him to be uncomfortable. Jewels - Hey there, girlie girl. When's your dr appt for your knee? Did almost 5 miles on Sunday. Shorted myself by a little less than .20. No biggy. Ended up running part of the way with a guy Karen and I have run with before, and he attempted the Bizz Johnson Marathon last October. Had problems with his diabetes and DNF'd, but turned around and ran 2 within the next 3 or 4 weeks. He had a "new" dog with him, a 12-yo golden retriever rescue named Jinx. Very, very sweet dog. Had a light rain the entire time I ran. Rather have a light rain than mist. Mist just feels like someone's spitting in your face. Since about noon yesterday, though, it's been coming down pretty steady. Thankfully, it's not cold. Today was my rest day, so I'll get back in the game tomorrow. Have great week ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, hate making those decisions re: older pets, but know that you will know when/if the time is right. Hopefully not for quite a while. We'll be on standby, but the flights are looking good, so I think the plan is to arrive in SFO on Saturday around 5-6ish in the afternoon/evening. Might be perfect for us to meet for dinner or a drink somewhere before you guys fly out...make you sleep real good on that plane Wink. We are not renting a car, so would probably need to be near our hotel or at the airport before we head that way. We're staying at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. http://www.sheratonatthewharf.com/Directions It would be awesome to meet you in person! E-mail me at carol@arkpetsitting.net if you think that might work, and we can figure out the details.
          Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Hi gals and guys. No runs this weekend but did a big ski tour in a back country ski seminar in Rocky Mountain National Park. We did avalance assesment and training and some work with avalanche beacons some classroom but mostly just getting out there. We skinned to the top of one minor peak on relatively low angle variable snow and skiied down. I got cocky at the bottom and crashed in some crusty snow that sucked my ski tips under and I went over the front in an arse over teakettle face plant that was good for a laugh. We then made a rather steep skin ascent over a ridge then got the bejeebers scared outa me on a steep and deep powder descent through scattered trees. I woosed out and locked up with fear, had trouble even functioning and side slipped all the way to the bottom. If any of the video he took makes it to the web I will post a link, good for a laugh eh? He has some vid of some "real skiers" shredding the terrain that ate me up if anyone wants to see. Should been equivalent effort to a long run for me. Ev great weather here now, warmed up over the weekend, sounds like your marathon training is progressing well. Carol and Leslie would be fun if you guys hooked up, hope it works. Will be in the fields very soon.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Oh yes Jim, I would love to see that! Big grin Me and my neighbor are going to be taking out the surfboards next month when the ocean warms up just a tad for some really good laughs. Video? Um........no! Pics? Um.......maybe! Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Kewl! Sounds like another RA/40's meeting in the works! Smile Happy St Patty's Eve everyone! Thanks for starting us out Ev! May you have awesome runs in awesome Spring weather this week Wink Just finished sorting out my Garmin data for the wknd...Doug changed my "page data" just before yesterday's LoDo "race"...had me a little discombooberated for a bit....think I got it now. Roll eyes some days, I really do get to be "the blonde!" Big grin I think we both did pretty well, all things considering... both of us had huge Saturdays, didn't get to bed till well after midnight (oh yeah! & didn't I loose all control & easy run like 10 miles on Sat?! idiot!!) Mairead, fortunately, was all rested & ready to go! But, well.... shall we say that it's been awhile since she's been in a crowd like that, although not in the immediate downtown area - which has EVIL gutters, train tracks, tree grates, open stairs etc!! Stress!! Oh, but corned beef afterwards! Oh! Life is GOOD! The 21st Annual Running of the Green Lucky 7K, proceeds benefiting Volunteers of America - specifically, Meals on Wheels program: 5500 runners, walkers, dogs, strollers, costumes, food, beer, Irish music, some dancing, in LoDo (lower downtown) Denver....abt 55* F, dead calm, clear, through the rolling hills (my whacky garmin says we did 787' of ups & downs!) of lower downtown....IRC!! Wink We started mid/back of the pack (w/most of the other dogs) just ahead of the strollers, who were ahead of the majority of the walkers...well, not entirely, but generally so - it's hard I suppose to truly sort this type of crowd....10:15 start time, so sun is up, enrt a 70* ish day.... in this crowd, it took a full 3 mins for us to get to the start line from gun time...I lost sight of Doug in the first block - so busy was I keeping Mairead off sides...(trying to be a very considerate dog runner) & then, at no time during the next 4.3 miles - especially in the final .3 miles! - did I ever have to NOT dodge walkers stopping abruptly right in front of us!! one girl stopped so abruptly, & quite directly in front of us! startled Mairead so much, that she jumped hard right to get around her, while still attached to me via leash, & almost took the girl out! & then there was the man stepping out from the sidelines amid runners to hand off a baby to his running mother - again, directly in front of me! Confused WTH!? The good stuff> lotsa funny costumes, moments here & there running w/other dog runners (serious pack stuff!), watching one dad w/squealing toddlers in a dbl jogging stroller off to the side wheeling them side to side & poppin wheelies carnival ride style, two ladies skipping up a hill while singing some weird ditty that I couldn't make out, Doug reported seeing the cutest little leprechaun (toddler) running for all he was worth around mile 3 - I'm sure he belonged to one of the strollers! Big grin ...we had one "mandatory" group walk break while we sorted out the congestion @ the top of the last hill...hrumphf!! not the most fluid of neighborhood runs! & all this before we started drinking!!! Again, loads of food & goodies @ the end..All of the dogs loved the food lines...lotsa dropped corned beef!! ...we milled around for abt 6 cups of beer & some people watchin' Wink then mosied over to another Irish pub for a pint of Guinness...then another (pub)....they have outdoor patios (which are lovely in this weather) where Mairead can sit on the outside of the railings...okay, so I got not much else constructive done w/my day!! Big grin Me & Mairead: 46:34.5/10:43 (after yesterday's Tongue) Doug: 38:38.4/ 8:53 (some folks apparently took this run fairly seriously - best time: 20:56! ) FR: see pics of Guinness pj's & stuff This morning was to be our "long run" of the week.....Tongue Tight lipped No okay, so 5-ish, that kinda came together a little better than I thought it would, but still processing the excesses of yesterday.....so, how should I feel after nearly 20 miles in 3 days on insufficient sleep & excess beer!? ..... Big grin Have a Great Week everyone!! C
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Time to catch up, been gone all weekend.... Ev - seems that things are going verrry smoothly for you, I'm guessing you have one more looong run before your marathon? Carol - you must be getting excited about your trip, things are so lovely and green all around the bay area this time of year...don't forget your warm things. Leslie - sorry to hear about the kitty. In these situations, I try to remember that they're lucky that we help them go when things get too bad...it's just so damn hard. Jim - what an adventure! I hear you about wimping out on a mountain, I had a similar experience, except it involved a motorcycle ride on Beartooth Pass in Montana last summer...on the way down, the narrow road and big dropoffs made me freeze up, I slowed way down and hugged the centerline the whole time - so slow that my buddy riding behind me was able to pull his camera out of his tankbag and snap shots of me - ah well.. Jewels - guess you guys don't need wetsuits for surfing out your way! Neat! I would love to try surfing sometime...someday maybe. Kelly - hey you - good luck with your classes - tough stuff to study along with all the other things you're doing! Joe - I think I want to chase you, I am getting tantalizingly close to your mileage levels Evil grin MTA: Cindy - we were posting at the same time...nice pics! Love those rolling party kind of runs! Shout out to everyone else... Ran in a nice little half marathon in Sacramento yesterday, the Shamrock'n Half Marathon, plus 4 miles just prior to the race for 17 total. Feeling really great right about now but I know the heat is coming soon, hope it holds off a bit until after my May marathon! Our summer heat can really eat into my weekly mileage Angry Arla

Ex runner

Cindy - Sounds like you had a fantastic time. And 'Read looks so go! Happy dog! Arla - Pics of you riding your bike? And you never posed them? Shame on you. Wink And yes, you and Joe are definitely the high mileage folks these days. Ev - Tell me yet again when you are running your marathon. I promise, this time I'll put the dang thing on my calendar. Carol - I'll have to talk to The Hub and try to figure out when we might be getting to SF. I know the hotel where we're parking our truck is in Milbrae. I'm already having withdrawals 'cause I'm not taking my laptop with me. Cripes! I can just see me staggering down the streets, looking for an Internet cafe so I can get my RA fix. Hopefully, there won't be any slobbering involved.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All! Thanks for starting us up Ev. Glad you're running better this week.Good luck with your remaining training and of course,the race itself.Mine is the NJ Marathon on May 3rd. Carol- Happy that you'r e feeling better.Best listen to Arla, SF can be chilly,especially when the wind and fog blow around. Sounds like a fun time for you guys! Leslie- nice rainy run for you. My friend from Reno is planning on running the Bizz Johnson this year.Didn't you run it last year? Have fun on your trip. Jim- that sounds like some tricky terrain. Bet you would have handled it alot better if you had downhill skiis.As it sounds,I may have done the same as you. Bet you felt like you got through something, that's for sure. Jewels-Surf's up! That water can't be that cold can it? I am an experienced board sailor and skateboarded as a kid before it was cool,but never surfed.With the ocean 4 miles from home,ya think I'da tried it by now? Cindy- awesome pics and that sure looks like fun.Buddy is jealous of the races that Mairead gets to run.Good going for you through the traffic and Doug is fast! Arla- nice half ! and good mileage all together. I don't blame you for holding onto your brakes,sounds like a prudent thing to do. I have to warn you, I'm not at the top of my mileage goals for this race.I plan on plopping down my first 70m week soon, I have 67m in my last 7 days of running and 2 more 20+ mile long runs on my schedule. Really concentrated on yesterday's long run on holding a slower,very steady pace throughout.A 16 miler @ 9:55 and finished strong. Followed up with an 11m tonight @ 9:45 and another fast last two miles. I'm taking what my body's allowing and very grateful to be doing so much! Off to bed for this tired old guy! See you guys later! Smile

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - heh, yeah your best part of the year is in front of you, mine is here...oh well maybe I'll catch ya next year. Leslie - maybe the place you're staying will have a business center where you can check in with us. Because we WILL be wondering whazzup. Tongue Easy few miles today plus one mile barefoot which felt really good. On the way home the last few blocks I crossed paths with a woman run/walking with a jogging stroller, as I said hi I noticed that her eyes were locked on my bare footsies. Yeah, so I look like a weirdo. Welcome to the sometimes-wacky world of running. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

http://climbinglife.com/ski-mountaineering/backcountry-skiing-videos/terrain-park-ski-video.html Check out about 2:15 in the vid, definitely not me but I been there. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

FJ: that looketh familiar! but not this year! Wink Tongue freakish warm!!
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Good Afternoon, Friends! I don't know why it's been so hectic today, but started around 3:00/3:30 this a.m. Not a whole lot of sleep between The Hub and I anyway, then him letting the cats in and out, then our old guy puking on the bed (that retching noise - that'll get you flying through the air fast), then The Hub asking me whether or not I'd bought an international calling card yet - while I was cleaning the puke at 3:30 in the morning Angry (guess I know what's keeping him awake), then more tossing and turning, the Wilson wanting in and out from under the blankets, then finally dragging myself out of bed around 5:45 for my 4.15-mile run, which I managed to erase from my Garmin somehow. Luckily, I'd looked at my time, etc., before turning it off. Who knows. Then an a.m. trip to the vet with our old guy who has an upper respiratory infection now (some green stuff came flying out of his nose). I tell ya, who needs kids?!? Joe - Yes, I ran Bizz Johnson, but have no plans to ever go back. It was okay, but it was my first marathon and a rails to trails. It's a very pretty area, but the monotony of straight, straight, straight really got to me mentally. It was also frigging cold - about 21 degrees at the start - and I never really warmed up until about 8-10 miles from the finish. Hope your friend enjoys it. Warn him/her that there's not much at the finish line re goodies to eat. There was some watermelon and oranges, and a few items left over from the aid stations, so he/she might want to ensure they have something in their room to chow down on. BTW - You're getting some incredible mileage in there! FJ - Re the video - way too much snow and too cold for me. Arla - We have no set-in-stone plans, except for Fri 03/27-03/30 we'll be staying with some people we met in SF a couple of years ago and with whom we've stayed in contact. On the 30th, we fly out of Newcastle (where they live) to Melbourne, we'll spend a couple of days in Melbourne, then drive the Great Ocean Road back up to Sydney, and we fly home 04/06. We get into Sydney on Mon 03/23 at around 10:00 a.m., will get our rental car, and get the puck outta the city toward the Blue Mountains. Julie and John definitely have a computer, so I'll see if they'll let me check in with you guys during that first weekend. I'm soooo ready to get outta dodge. Carol - After looking at the times, unfortunately, you guys will be getting to SF too late for us to hook up. We're parking our truck in Millbrae, which is in the South SF area, at least a 45 min drive from the Wharf area, if not longer. We have to be at the airport by 8:00, so we need to catch the 7:00 or 7:30 shuttle. Sad Darn it! Well, I'd better get back to it. Later ~

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

6 miles for me and mrsday this evening. And it was hot....87F. But there was a nice breeze that helped keep us cool. I thought I might struggle in the warmer temps, but felt great. For those that have asked....I'll be running my second marathon on April 26th.....The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.....
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM