Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 5.14.14 (Read 41 times)

Dave59

So I woke up at J2 O'Clock (Jay/Jlynne) and the cats wouldn't let me back to sleep, so I got up and started work early.  Once it gets light I'll head out for a run.  Too many pot holes to run in the dark.  I may fall in one and be trapped for hours.

I've been reading but not posting much and I think I figured out why.  It's a delayed reaction to everyone leaving home last year.  At first it felt good to have so much free time, but now it is getting boring.  Seems like nothing interesting ever happens anymore.  Maybe we'll sell this place and move to Tallahassee where Annabelle is a constant source of entertainment.

My son-in-law said that on the ride home from school one day last week, Annabelle was kind of quiet, and then she spoke up and asked, "What is explosive diarrhea?"  I miss those moments.

Have a greta day, even if you get wet.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/catwater.jpg

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone else!

Dave, one of the reasons that I do all my volunteer work is so that when I completely retire, I'll still have plenty to keep me involved and engaged. I believe that people have to figure out what they are going to do when they retire before they get there, or else they'll be unhappy with the sudden void that they thought they were looking forward to. So, what was the answer to Annabelle's question?

Aamos and Twocat - If I got up, poured a cup of coffee and sat to read, I'd never get out for a workout. I'd just get sucked into whatever I was reading, and the coffee, and lose all track of time. And, as much as I'd enjoy it, I'd feel guilty for the rest of the day for skipping a workout. Aamos, that's an amazing story about the foster/adoptive parents!

I hope the bleeding is a very short-term issue, Ribs.

OK, Twocat, MIL it is - now, pass the gravy! 

Core work and hill workouts - great way to get stronger, Leslie.

Interesting posts about catabilities...

Hiya Mike! Let's talk about you...

While the timing might not have been perfect, Starr, there is nothing dumb about donating blood. That Revino sounds like a sweet bike. I have  feeling the pink is just girly camouflage for a tiger of a bike.

Sorry you lost your birch trees, Evanflein. They are gorgeous. Are you going to plant something else in their place?

Good luck with the roto-tiller repair, Steve. And good luck introducing that cherry tree to an ax!

5.8 RW/run miles at JJ o'dark this morning. Solid cloud cover (that also dropped a few rain drops along the way) obscured what should be close to a fool moon - too bad. I have a little bit of a 'pull' in a sensitive area that I aggravated this morning, so it looks like I need to back off for at least a few days. Maybe I'll be doing that coffee and reading thing after all!

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Jay, I think like you do about retirement.  I lived next door to a talented couple in western MA who owned an Inn catering to Tanglewood (summer home of the BSO).  He is a Renaissance man, and his skills include gardening; the Inn has a notable rose bush garden.  She is the same, a fabulous cook, entrepreneur and art historian.  The Inn had a super reputation; many of the guest soloists at Tanglewood stayed there.  As you might imagine, it was a lot of work.  If we had a storm and lost power, they'd have to head into Lenox (about 20 miles away) to soothe the riled guests.  They sold the Inn in the late 90s for what then was a record amount in Berkshire County and happily retired.......for about 6 months.  After that, he started a landscape business and she got involved in several creative endeavors.  And then there's the DH's former colleague whose (now ex) DH started to make and market smoked cheeses after he took an early retirement!

Erika, I am really sorry.  I love birch trees.  Our next door neighbor in the house I first lived in in Detroit had some in her front yard.  I was always so intrigued by the peeling white papery bark (yes, and got scolded several times for peeling it!).  Any kind of dwarf blooming tree available in your temperature zone?  They're pretty too.  Are you thinking about replacing them?

Holly, that open adoption is interesting.  I learned that Florida is a semi-open adoption state.  My friends are happy about that, as they recognize that when their daughter (nice to write that) gets older, she may want to romanticize her bio mom, especially in those teen years when your mom can overnight become Cruella!  I know when I represented parents in Care & Protection cases (that's what Massachusetts calls them, and I so prefer it to South Dakota's term Abuse & Neglect), I had the hardest time with my clients.  Several were way worse than any criminal defendant.   I felt the most conflict in those cases, knowing what I did about my clients in certain cases.  Well, prolly 'nuff said.

Leslie, gkeep it up, you inspire me!two cat, agreed as to cats and water, but I've had several who are fascinated by it, including Coco, who loves to watch the shower when it's on and plays with drops from a faucet not tightened all the way.

Dave, come to Florida!  Yes we have have hot summers, but you know, so does the north!  I'll tell you when it is bad here.  So far, so good.  Mid May and it's perfect weather, no issues running.

Hi Steve!  and perch!   And Ribs!  just keep on putting one foot in front of the other.  I mean, when the bleeding stops.  SO GLAD you are home and that the Saint is supervising you.

10 miles this am at a 9:20 overall pace.  Beautiful moon!        Speedwork last night.  Once again, I get there early to warm up (I really have to.  Last Thursday, when I didn't, one of the other runners asked me if I was limping.  Nope, that's just what I look like without a warm-up!).  I do 3 9+ minute miles, and the first one is close to a 10er.  Mutter to myself that I might just run with the group easy and not do the drills, feeling creaky, yadda yadda.  Then do a 4th mile with the group for warm-up and I manage an 8:30.  OK, so I try the drills, 200 repeats (jog one, race one) for 3 miles.  Figure I'll do one mile.  Well, I did all 3 and combined average time for each mile was sub 8 all around, last one 7:28.  There is NO WAY I would ever achieve this doing speed work by myself.  The only other time I run fast is at 5Ks but those are going to dry up soon, I think.

HAppy Camel day to y'all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, my post-op instructions specifically state that I may expect some bleeding and not to be alarmed.  Well, I haven't had any bleeding until yesterday and it was a pretty good flow. It seems to have lessened somewhat and I'm hopeful after today I'm fine. But I'm not walking today and I stopped taking the baby aspirin, which I had resumed on Sunday.  I just wrote to the dr. to ask him if he had any recommendations also. For example, should I drink more, or less?  Skipping my walk is just playing it safe.  Blood is messy.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Good morning folks. I have so much to catch up with around here.

A busy, but fun day for me yesterday. Dear son Daniel turned 22 and since he is home from college for the summer I had the awesome opportunity to bake his birthday cake and celebrate his birthday with him. At the last minute I decided to make a surprise breakfast party for him. I invited 4 of his friends for a 7am breakfast. Food was good, we started the feast with the birthday cake .

The rest of the day was busy work and at night we had the Orchards in bloom wrap up meeting. The great news is that the little rural race made us nearly 6,000. Not bad for the first year. Funds will be used to support other wellness programs we offer in the community for free.

I was feeling blue this morning, but a few miles of running with my RP made it for a nice running day. 9 miles total. I saved a few miles in my legs just in case the not Easy Pacer invites me for a running date tonight..

Have a great sunny day. It is going to be 82 and sunny here today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

she spoke up and asked, "What is explosive diarrhea?"  I miss those moments.

has she asked,  "why don't dogs use toilet paper?" yet?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The great news is that the little rural race made us nearly 6,000.

Not bad for the first year. Funds will be used to support other wellness programs we offer in the community for free.

felicitates.  You're ought to be mayor one of these days.

and that's only because they don't have a queen.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Ribs - Now you know how women feel . . . every single month.

Aamos - Our old guy (12), Ziggy, became fascinated with the running bath tub faucet within the last year or so.  If he's in the house and I turned on the faucet to get ready for a shower, he comes loping in, puts his front paws up on the edge of the tub, and watches the water.  So far he hasn't jumped in, but I have no idea why it's become such an interesting thing.  Then, as soon as he's done, he high-tails it with tons of energy out of the bathroom and bedroom, looking for someone to attack.  Wilson is fascinated with the bathroom and kitchen sink faucets.  He drinks out of the sink faucet, and practically falls off the edge of the kitchen island watching the kitchen faucet when we're running water.

Dave - You might want to explain "atomic farts" to Annabelle, as well.

Jay - Enjoy your coffee and reading!  Don't forget to apply ice in said "sensitive area."

Erika - Bummer about the trees.  Hope you can find something to take their place, albeit at a better distance from the house.  I always wonder at these people who plant trees right up against their house.  Don't the realize the tree isn't always going to be 3' tall?

Howdy Do to Posie and Tet and all to follow.

Last night was 6 miles at the McKay with 4 x 1/3-mile tempo hill repeats.  It was 72 and humid (I was sweating like a pig by Mile 2 of my warm up) and my legs felt like stumps for the first couple of miles, so  I was very happy to see that the repeats were more consistent this week than last week.  Slowly but surely, things are improving, which is giving me a renewed zest for this.

This a.m., under just awakening skies, it was 6 EZ miles on tired legs.

It's suppose to be in the upper 70's today.  When I left for work at 8:00, it was already 61.  *sigh*  Woulda been a good day to play hooky!

I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner. (Bart Yasso)

Enjoy ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...yes, nothing like a good ExplosiveDiarrheaTopic to start things off........

========

....32mprnb

deo

...........nothing exploded.....

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave – great post, in so many ways, but I don’t have time to elaborate….

Jay – I have coffee and read before my workout, and you are right, sometimes it sucks the time away from my workout.

Ribs – totally understand. We women have been dealing with that messy stuff for decades….glad you are being careful….

Mariposai – great job!

TomWhite – good to know…

DS was scheduled to take a test in one of his AP classes that will get him college credit if he passes, and refund our test fee if he does exceptionally well. Therefore, I made him a breakfast of a bacon-and-egg sandwich with hash browns before school. No lectures on healthy food – test taking requires something that will “stick-to-your-bones.”   An early morning ortho appointment further cramped my running time, but I managed to get in a short run with some striders before work.

4 miles total.

Band concert for DD tonight.  For a child with a very short attention span, she has done surprisingly well with the clarinet, and I am happy that she has signed up to be in band again next year.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No run today, unless tonight....but it will over 80F when I get home.

Yes, I had the same thought, about bloody messes, so I guess Ribs is not getting too much sympathy on that one from the women-folk.

Runners vs Joggers.

At my race, they set up pace signs, so that people could line up in an efficient fashion and not get trampled.  The signs said "Runners - pace 8:00 or less", with an arrow pointing to the front, right beside a sign pointing the other direction called "Joggers, pace 8:00-12:00".  Then further back a sign with "Walkers".  I was slightly offended that if I ran slower than an 8:00 pace, I was a "Jogger"!!!  But any offense I felt was overcome by gratitude that they had organized the mob safely.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Dave, I hope Twocat sees this picture. When he pouts about rain I will always have this picture in mind.

Enkie, according to the race's standard I am not a runner then because I can't run sub 8 for more than 800ms. I must admit that it is a creative way to ensure race course caos.

Lunch hour here for me.I have plans for my lunch hour, but I wanted to post this picture I took during my trail run on Saturday. Gorgeous view of the Sawtooth Mt. BTW, Rainshadow runners (I think that is the name of the company who organizes so many ultras in the PNW) has a marathon, 50k and 50 miler in August running up and down those mountains. Leslie, Tetsujin, Wildchild, hint, hint.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Runners vs Joggers.

At my race, they set up pace signs, so that people could line up in an efficient fashion and not get trampled.  The signs said "Runners - pace 8:00 or less", with an arrow pointing to the front, right beside a sign pointing the other direction called "Joggers, pace 8:00-12:00".  Then further back a sign with "Walkers".  I was slightly offended that if I ran slower than an 8:00 pace, I was a "Jogger"!!!  

You know, I would find that offensive enough to email the race director about it.....they could say "faster runners" and "slower runners" and be less offensive, but ideally they could just say "Pace 8:00 or less" and "Pace 8:00 or more."  "Runners" and "Joggers" sounds so judgmental.

Nancy - that is lovely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59  ROTFLMAO!  Made my day. That and it did not rain in my part of CT today!

coastwalker we have to work on your understanding of Twocat cooking.  When I do ribs it is Texas style (or as close as I can make it up in CT) and that means no barbecue sauce.  If you want gravy or sauce of some sort the closest I have is my drunken cranberry sauce.  Which is quite good I should add!  I think I could retire without a set of volunteer committees to fill in for my time.  What I worry about is my DW.  If she were to stop working without other work to fill her time . . . shudder!

AamosY was there a bear chasing you?  Just curios.  Nice workout!

Spareribs rough recovery.  A friend of mine had it tough too.  Surgery is somehow never easy.

Mariposai sunny and 82 . . . sigh.  If only . . .   Great picture!

tetsujin209 I have been working on her to run for office for some time.  She would do great!

fatozzig happy to hear your workouts are going better and better.

tomwhite since you are a pharmacist I bet you could start us off tomorrow with an even "better" topic!  

Holly S.  good luck to your DS on his AP exam.  I entered collage with a pile of AP credits and I am very glad I did.

enkephalin actually I so wish more RDs would put up pace signs indicating where people should line up.  It so helps at the start that they could put a sign up saying slow, short guys in their 50's who look like death warmed over during a race over here and I would be happy to see it!

I ran 8 miles today.  No rain!  (See Dave59's picture. ) The only thing special about today's run is that it started from my office.  I had an early morning meeting and so had to go in the afternoon.  I tell you having a shower in the building really helps with run scheduling!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wild, the snow picture was pretty but you can keep the stuff.  Holly, great list of plusses from your daughter.  ribs, even though you were warned about the bleeding, it's got to be bothersome.  mari, happy birthday to your son.

Nice long runs for Mike (including speedwork) and  Aamos.  Good job on the speedwork for fatozzig and Aamos.

This morning, I took my wife to a doctor's appointment.  When I got back about noon, it was in the low to mid 50s with just a light wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS