Masters Running

Super Bowl Sunday! (Read 36 times)

Mariposai

Let us all go running before the Super Bowl super eating begins!

Happy Trails, my friends!

My wings are waiting for the weather to warm up a little more before I go out. Meanwhile, it is time to go to the kitchen for some tender loving care.

Go Seahawks!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Groundhog Day!   I wouldn't watch the super  bowl even if I got TV reception here.  Is there anyone else here who won't be watching?

I had an epic run yesterday at the Frozen Dead Guy Fat Ass.  25 miles in the snow, about half on plowed roads and half on beautiful but very snowy trails.  It was maybe 10°F at the start, and warmed up to about 20°, with light snow all day.  I was slower than most of the others, so I skipped an out-and-back section up Twin Sisters Peak.  Fortunately there was one other slow guy who started late at the first aid station, so I had someone to run with.  I was not familiar with some of the trails, and would not have wanted to be out breaking trail and route finding by myself.  But it was gorgeous out in the snowy woods!  Here are a few pictures.

One of the advantages to being at the back of the pack was having everyone else break trail!  This is at the start in Nederland.

This is the Walker Ranch trail, about mile12:

This is about mile 18 in Eldorado Canyon State Park:

Happy trails, folks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey friends - sorry I havent been posting much.... between work, Boston training (altho I run nowhere near the miles Karyn runs) and working on a helping to start the ACTS retreat for a parish on Cape Cod my computer fun time has diminished (unfortunately I do seem to hang out on FB a bit too much )   Anyway - I try to read, keep up, post my runs in the training log and keep all of you in my daily thoughts!!

Yesterday I ran a 2 mile warm-up, ran a 5k at an easier than PR pace (25:08) then ran it backwards at a little easier than tempo pace with a group of friends ..... total about 8.4 miles - probably a bit much before the long run today but hopefully my legs wont be screaming at me too much later!!  I did treat my legs to a nice long soak in the hot tub with DH last night!!

Today 15.3 miles at our hosted run - feeling good and hoping to stay strong thru marathon training!!

Beautiful pictures Wildchild -- and I doubt I'll be watching the SuperBowl either except for when DH flips back and forth to it a bit!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

I wouldn't watch the super  bowl even if I got TV reception here.  Is there anyone else here who won't be watching?

Count me as another who will not be watching the Super Bowl. We don’t really watch sports at our house. DS recently went to a football party at a friend’s house and I told him, “Just cheer when everyone else does. Eventually you will figure out the rules…”

Carolyn – beautiful pictures, but what a tough run! If you were one of the slow ones, you must run with some world-class trail runners.

Deez - you are running so well!

Ribs - I finally had time to go back and listen to your son's ring speech.  What an amazing young man he is!  You have great reason to be proud.

I was kind of excited about the 33 degrees this morning for my LR. What I was not counting on was the light freezing drizzle that went with it, coating everything with a very thin treacherous layer of ice. Add to that the 3-4” deep half-melted slush on stretches of the bike path that drenched my feet with icy water and 15-25mph winds, and let's just say it was not as nice as I had hoped it would be.

At about 5 miles my hands were getting cold through my gloves so I pulled out the package of hand-warmers I had brought. Unfortunately there was a tear in the package that had let in air, and the warmers were used up. By 6 miles my hands were so painful I turned for home, and for the next 4 miles the pain in my hands was all I could think about. Drat! Once reaching home at 10.05 miles, I changed into dry clothes and ran 8 more miles on the TM watching Faster.

Gah! How I long for dry pavement! I am grateful for the TM, but feel as if I am not getting as good a workout on it.

18 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Carolyn - awesome pictures of your run.  I ran 10 miles on paved heartbeak hill.  after telling Henrun that I didn't see any groups training for Boston, around 100 runners from Tufts passed at various points.  as usual timing is everything!

Henrun chose a run along the Charles in the opposite direction, resulting in a late brunch at home.

Holly, please have some warmer weather in your area next week, as I'm going to be with henrun's daughter who's having knee replacement surgery.

marj

evanflein

Gah! How I long for dry pavement! I am grateful for the TM, but feel as if I am not getting as good a workout on it.

Oh boy, can I echo that sentiment!! I've been dealing with icy bikepaths for the last couple of weeks! We were in not too bad shape until the rain of January 23/24 and it's been a hockey rink since then! And it's true that the treadmill is a great option for getting the miles in when it's not conducive to safe or happy running outside, but it is pretty one-dimensional.

Carolyn, look like lots of hiking in the snowy parts.... That would be fun to do with a group, but yeah, I'm with you on not wanting to break trail for something like that!

The game starts at 2:30 here, or at least that's what the schedule says. I'm sure we'll have it on, but we do other stuff too. I'll probably be running in the basement for at least part of it. I only need 7 miles to get my 40 for the week, but if I can stand it I might stick it out for 90 minutes (about 11 miles). We'll see how it goes.

It was 18 here when I got up, but the temperature will steadily drop during the day so not sure I feel like dealing with ice AND 2° temps. The roads in my neighborhood are totally un-runnable so that's not an option. So.... the TM will probably win out. At least I've been outside a lot so far this year, so it doesn't feel like too much of a drag (yet).

Epic indeed wildchild! Looks great and what fun.

No Superbowl for me---sitting at gate and about to fly to MO. Will get some work done tonight, but my guys will watch and fill me in---they love it.

12.1 miles  this morning with teammates at 8:06 pace---mild and dry pavement (for now Winter storm Nika is supposed to dump a foot of snow in NE on Wednesday) 76 mile week and so far so good. Stupid Punxatawney Phil !

My hands hurt just reading your post Holly. Good on ya for getting it done!

wheels up! Bye!

NHLA

16 miles 2 hr 25 min  Stoney Mt.  Perfect day! Very unusual rock formations on this mt.mt.

Almost had dry roads today. It was 39F at 5am 34F and rain at 7am. Starting snowing w/ 32F 5 minutes before the group run begun.

Temp dropped to 29 and 1 inch of snow during the 8 mile run.

Have a Super Sunday!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

What a tough bunch of runners here!

Wildchild, 25 miles in snow???

Holly, painful hands, ouch!

I feel like such a wimp.  I wanted to do somewhere between 10-14 miles today.  Ran at the bridle trails, and for whatever reason, I felt depleted by 6 miles and just forced myself to finish 8.4, a lot through slippery mud.  Maybe that is what sapped my energy.  Of course when I got to 8.4 at the car I was feeling better, but that is only because I knew I was done.

Meet up with Door#10 was awful.  Truly awful, the worst yet.  I am still feeling a little traumatized by it.

Definitely excited to watch the home team kick some butt soon!  This is a really big deal for this city.  All the buildings last night were lit up blue and green.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Sorry about that Enke. Not all guys are like me.

Neat picture of those elephants NHLA.

Carolyn, that trail is beautiful.

Thank you Holly.

Was going to do 22 today and if it had been a short run I would have done it, but it isn't the day for 22 down here.  Freezing rain and still getting colder. I'll do it one day during the week. Zero miles today

New Balance has asked me to wear test their new Fresh Foam shoe and write about them.  Just came in today and I have them on now. Minimalist shoe without being too much so, very light, and beautiful blue and orange colors. Can't wait to put them to work this week.  Spareribs

wild, what a grueling run.  The scenery is pretty, though.  deez, nice 5K.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, deez, Holly (and 10 of it in miserable conditions), marj, CNY, and NHLA.

This morning, I got in 3 miles on the TM at a 10:56 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Nice pics Wild and NHLA.

Holly - 18 is 18. TM or not. Still have to lift and move your legs. Nice run.

Sorry enke. They can't all be like ribs. Wait? What?  Seriously, don't throw in the towel. Nothing worthwhile doesn't come without effort.

CNY - amazing runs. Have fun in MO. If it's St. Louis you must eat at Proetzel's Deli neat Wash U. I would walk from Indy to get some of their corned beef.

I managed 10 today but frankly have no idea how. My legs were trashed from the tempo on Friday and yesterdya's track workout. Can't wait to fall asleep in my recliner during the Super Bowl.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

janie b good

lol... Joe Namath looks like he's ready to party with the cast from American Hustle!

(oh yeah, I'm watchin!)

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Mariposai

(oh yeah, I'm watchin!)

ohhh yeahhhh, I am watchin too!

This 12th woman ran 12 miles before the game today with 6 at MP fighting a strong nasty wind, but...my hands did not freeze up like Holly's was. I so admire that girl!

BTW, the half time show as superb! The last song brought tears to my eyes since a dear friend of mine, a Colonel in Kuwait posted a picture of her and her troop with a 12 sign and a Seahawks banner  and a private message to me saying how much she wished she was at home to enjoy this special game with her family. The sacrifice our service man and woman make!

Please allow me to say...

.go Seattle Seahawks go!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard