Masters Running

Friday, 9.5.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for the star yesterday, Jlynne, and good luck in Sunday's Mudder!

"So much fun, so the joy of running.   Maybe because it was truly the time of day when the streets lights DO come on, added to the no contest nature of the run, that made it feel as if we were all just kids running happy just because we could, on a summer evening of no particular significance." What a well-written, wonderful statement about the joy of running. Thanks, Aamos!

Gorgeous girls, BC!

I'm so excited (but probably not as much as Twocat) that Stumpy has joined the RTB team! Yay!

"My butt was more bothersome than the bee stings." Good sum-up to an unpleasant time - sorry you had to go through that, Tselbes.

I got moved from last to first on the agenda of a meeting I had to attend last night. That meant I could cut out early and get home in time to enjoy dinner with DW, which made me very happy. I had slept in yesterday morning, but was out at 4 o'dark this morning for a 5.5 mi, RW tempo workout. It was 66F and muggy, so less than ideal, but not too bad. I visualize and tried to mimic the winner of last month's one-hour racewalk race whose turnover rate was so quick that he was almost running (he got 2 'caution' warnings from the judges because of it, but didn't get DQ'd). I had some respectable splits this morning, and was happy with the workout. Probably not the best thing to do on a day before a race, but it is a late afternoon race (so I have more recovery time), and I want to do well, but it isn't a goal race.

Speaking of racing, I wish fleet feet and tail winds to all the rest of this weekend's racers:

09/06 wildchild - Tommyknocker 50k, Divide, CO

09/06 Coastwalker - Fox Point Sunset 8K, Newington, NH

09/07 SubDood - City of Lakes Half Marathon, Minneapolis, MN

09/07 StarrRuns - Sioux Falls Half Marathon, Sioux Falls, SD

09/07 HollyS - Canton City Marathon, Canton, OH

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

A sweaty 5.1 this am.

We haven't had many humid days. Only a few degrees seperated the dew point and actual temp this morning.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Jay - I presume that when you are that quick while racewalking, the line between walking and running is very thin...

Sorry - been off the grid these past two weeks.  Between the start of school, labor day weekend alumni camp at Lake Winnipesaukee, and month end finance close at work, I've just been flat out.  Now this weekend is my town's annual fair - the Hebron Harvest Fair.  Long-Suffering and I had date night last night, attending the fair's demolition derby.

Yesterday - lifting, then intervals in the cardio cinema while watching Alien Versus Predator (a highly intellectual film).  4 x 1 mile @ 7:15, with half mile recoveries.  Felt so good that I did a 5th mile at 8.7 mph on the TM.  Must have been the two longish runs from last weekend during alumni camp.  Anytime you go from Clark Hill Road to Alton Mountain Road, you know you will get some hill work in.

Have a great weekend all, hope to get caught up in reading about your adventures next week.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Mornin,'

If anyone deserves to be at the front of the agenda, it is you, Jay.  Glad you could put the switch to maximum use.

What Mike said about heart rates AND height.  I got called out for standing in the back row at Speedsters last night.  (Perry takes a photo before each run and posts it on FB.  It's a little tradition, and helps the snowbirds up north follow along until they get down here.)  My response is my usual: "In my mind, I am a tall person."

So envious of the RTB crew.  What fun!  Good getting Stumpy, too.

Have fun Racers!   That's a fast course, Starr; I ran the full in 08 or 09 and enjoyed it.  A lot of BQs come out of there, as I recall.  Stay dry, wild and just outrun those old storm clouds.

Eight mostly easy last night, picked up a bit at the end so 8:49 overall pace, then 10 slower ones at 9:12 this am.  Not sure what I'll run tomorrow...thinking of going out fasster than usual and seeing if I can hold it for a bit, but that's today.  Tomorrow am, slower may seem better

Festive Fridays to all...

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

PBJ--you incurable romantic, you.  No wonder LS has hung around so long.  you know how to show a girl a good time

Yes, I have committed to RTB.  Discussions with DW indicate that she thinks I need to be committed.  for good.  But I'm looking forward to seeing those I've met before and meeting TwoCat and the CT crew he's recruited for the first time.

A skootch over 5 miles this morning.  Apparently warmer and more humid than I expected--sort of dragged through it.  Probably didn't have anything to do with staying up to watch the Sox win lose horribly in the bottom of the ninth.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Stumpy, Aamos and others, what a crappy year it is for all of us in baseball.  No Yankees, no Red Sox, and the Rangers are the worst team in the AL. Who would have thought it?  This morning on the news they announced that some guy was murdered in his yard and they are calling in the Texas Rangers to investigate the crime.  I said to the Saint, "They can't even pitch or hit a baseball. How are they going to solve a crime?"

SteveP, I hope you get some resolution on that condition of yours; sounds scary.

The Saint and I ran short and easy today, 3.4 for me and some walking for her.  We're racing tomorrow at the Dallas Running Club 5-miler breakfast bash.  Looking forward to seeing all my running friends.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

But how about those Mariners!!  

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"So much fun, so the joy of running.   Maybe because it was truly the time of day when the streets lights DO come on, added to the no contest nature of the run, that made it feel as if we were all just kids running happy just because we could, on a summer evening of no particular significance."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             What a well-written, wonderful statement about the joy of  running.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Thanks, Aamos!

me too jay.

let me know when the book comes out.

But how about those Mariners!!  

and that other formerly maligned team in town too. <<<(seahawks/seahawks)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ--you incurable romantic, you.  No wonder LS has hung around so long.  you know how to show a girl a good time

I am logged in to my work computer and working from home, while the AT&T guy is outside running wire.  Today we are taking the plunge and moving from Time Warner cable, internet and home phone to AT&T U-Verse, internet and home phone.  We currently have AT&T for wireless, and they have been pestering us for months, the deals getting better and better, until finally the deal was too good to refuse, and the price is locked in for 2 years.  I am looking forward to the whole-house DVR, since DH tends to dominate the big-screen TV downstairs, and I never get to see my DVRed shows without a fuss.

Rest day for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh to have a 2nd TV hooked into the same DVR!  . . . . The Hub and I would never see each other.

The Stumpster joined the RTB crew?  Nice!  We expect LOTS of pictures.

6 miles in very foggy conditions this a.m.  And things have taken a turn toward the nippy in the predawn hours, so not sure how much longer I'll be wearing shorts in the a.m.  Legs didn't feel too bad, but I am definitely tired of running and looking forward to a much needed big break in a few weeks.  Suffice to say, I'm NOT looking forward to tomorrow's 25 in the Forest.  Because I'm such a plodder, I estimate 6 hrs, but hopefully I'll end up with over 4000 feet of elevation gain.  Trying to mimic race conditions and terrain as much as possible.

Good luck to our racers this weekend ~~~

Okay - Back to your regularly scheduled work day.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Dancing bananas to a 12 man team for the RTB relay. Rosie Ruiz Fan Club is going to rock!

Busy morning for a day off. 14 miles done with a few Enkie inspired and Spareribs prescribed wave miles. Wave miles were rather slow 9:05; 8:45; 8:30 and 8:25, but it got progressively faster.

Now off to get my hair done, then a 4 hour drive to Spokane to catch my flight to NYC tomorrow.

Go Rosie Ruiz Fan Club!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Oh to have a 2nd TV hooked into the same DVR!  . . . . The Hub and I would never see each other.

My husband has a TV in his garage/shop and we have the whole home DVR thing. I rarely watch TV anyways, but he prefers to be outside in his shop watching TV in the evenings anyways. If he sits on the couch, he will be asleep in >5min! never fails. But if he can be out in his shop, tinkering, working on something, or just standing there watching TV, he can be out there til midnight on nice summer nights.  So, yes, there are some evenings, I don't see him! lol.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Stumpy, Aamos and others, what a crappy year it is for all of us in baseball.  No Yankees, no Red Sox, and the Rangers are the worst team in the AL. Who would have thought it?  This morning on the news they announced that some guy was murdered in his yard and they are calling in the Texas Rangers to investigate the crime.  I said to the Saint, "They can't even pitch or hit a baseball. How are they going to solve a crime?"

SteveP, I hope you get some resolution on that condition of yours; sounds scary.

O yes, like Stumpy, stayed up listening and then gnashing my teeth.  May just go with a movie tonight....I know, heresy.

And Ribs, no comment still on your friend in the Keys and the "Gregory," I mean, am I to correct him or just go with it??

I actually logged on again to confess my neurotic runner behavior just now.  Last month I got a very lovely, understated (no logo) email from a gentleman offering me entry into Boston 2015 due to my AG placement.  It explained if I accepted, I wouldn't have to register in September but would get an email later in 2014, probably November, and just respond to it.  Of course I did, and got a note back from him.  Still no logo, no familiar blue and yellow, just an email (he did have a baa.org email address).

So registration opens Monday at 10 am. As the date approaches, I find I am growing increasingly antsy.   I finally succumb to my gnawing angst and call the BAA just now to confirm that it is their practice to comp the entries of  AG folks.  The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and understanding, and even named the person who sent me the email without my asking her to do so.

So I'm an eejit....it's just that there are so many merry pranksters out there and I would just feel like a huge fool if November came and went with no BAA email and me with no entry because I didn't check.......my friends and family have told me all my llife I'm so much fun to tease because I am so gullible, so there you are.  Anyone with a verdict form as to my pennance??

goofily yers,

A.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos, I think you did the right thing by inquiring.

Tom - those bee stings - it was a good thing you went.  That allergy can get worse.  Happened to my BIL, and after his lips started to swell or get numb, then the throat is next, then you don't want to know.  They have shots now you can get that trick your immune system into becoming less reactive to bee stings.  You might want to look into those.

Steve - hopefully the tips were more than pennies.  Sorry to hear about the muscle pain.  Sounds like your body is mad at itself and perhaps just some time with make the mystery situation improve.  Take fish oil.

How cool that Stumpy is on the relay now!!!

I don't even know how to work my TV and netflix and whatever.  That's for the young'ins to tell me how to do.

My right leg and hip was aching quite a bit yesterday from my 'fast' run.  So resting today.  I have a lunch date (#6) with Mr. C. in about 45 minutes.  I can hardly think straight and am starting to sweat.  Tonight is my son's first marching band performance at the opener high school football game.  Can't wait to get some photos of my handsome, kind, funny son in his garb.

Have a wonderful Friday night everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Checking in from the insanity of work because my brain is starting to shutdown a couple hours early.  I think I will tell the folks that I am toast and heading out early.

When did I last post?  Yesterday, two days ago, longer... I have no idea?

Crazy humid here today.  I ran 4.33 miles.  A cold front is scheduled to come through this evening and clear out this nasty tropical-like air.

Does anyone remember me saying not too long ago that I ran 3.14 miles and decided it was a sign that Cindy and I should go to a place called The Grand Traverse Pie Company for dinner?

Well now the rest of the story: Before I even told Cindy about the pie run she was making a pie.  (And she never makes pies except for maybe around Thanksgiving if we are having people over.)  How weird is that?  It was something she found in a diabetic magazine.  No sugar added vanilla ice cream, mixed with peanut butter, placed in a chocolate pie crust and dribbled with sugar free chocolate topping.  It may sound bad but was actually very good.  It tasted like a DQ ice cream cake.  (And we didn't go to dinner at the pie place.)