Masters Running

5/16 newbies (Read 459 times)

Me

Good morning Everyone, I figured we are due for a new thread. So here it is. 3 miles for me this morning. I tried to take it nice and slow. It seems that, lately no matter what pace I intend to run at, I end up turning in roughly the same time. So, this morning I tried to slow down and I did. a little. Cheers Mike
      Greetings! I figure this is as good a thread as any to delurk and post in this group. Short story--I've run three marathons, took a 9 year leave of absence from running for no good reason, got heavier and slower so re-began running last summer. I don't know if this makes me a re-beginner or a re-runner! Training for America's Finest City Half in August, live in San Diego County, CA. Will be braving our unusually warm weather in about an hour to run at least 2 miles at lunchtime--have a four mile long run tomorrow with the training group I run with.
      Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Me

Welcome Dorsey, Feel free to post here as often as you like. We are a pretty friendly group. I am from Toledo OH and just took a job in, and will be moving soon to Tennessee. I started running a year and a half ago because I was unhappy with my health and increasing pant size. I ran the Virginia Beach Rock and Roll half marathon last September. I'm looking forward to several half marathons coming up in the next year or so. Mike
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome, Dorsey....always happy to entice someone out of lurkdom. you were on the daily today? I know I noticed, but not sure where. If you've been lurking a while, you know that a lot of us have been calling ourselves "newbies" for quite a while. Wink but we like it here and we seem to do a lot of starting and stopping on a little shorter time frame than you. there are lots of folks that know a lot around here and will share if you ask. or even if you don't ask Wink and we'll always be happy to try to explain any inside jokes. I've been running for a little over a couple of years, with a slightly rollercoaster effect. right now, I'm trying to get back on the road after almost 2 months of shin splint recovery. My ambition is not quite as long as most here, I'd just like to be able to run fast(er) 5 and 10K's and be able to go out and do long slow runs. Don't see any halfs in my future. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey folks. Welcome Dorsey. You lucky dog to live in San Diego. I will be there next month seeing my sister and family. She lives in Escondido. I need to find a running route. I would like something fun like the boardwalk. Where do you run? Its a great group here. We could use your experience too. I am also coming off the DL. 2 months no running with the mother of all hamstring pulls. My long run was 8 before and I am back up to 5 if done slowly. Kevin, did you see this months runners world? Theres an article in it on shin splints. Today is recovery for me. Did an hour at the gym yesterday. My freaky weird feet went numb again. But I found a Fleet Feet in Hartford that does video gate analysis. Maybe next week I'll get down there. Yes Signing off to watch the Celtics possibly pull off an away win. Yes Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Morning all! Boy this bronchitis is kicking my butt!! I woke up this morning craving exercise, that was the first time since Eugene.... so I must be getting better. I've scheduled my ortho appointment for the 29th to check out the shoulder & xray.. PT starts up again on the 27th for the neck. Debbie - yes I've had a nerve conduction study before, but no nerve problems then to speak of. so, I'm sure this one will be different... haven't heard from them yet though. Dorsey - welcome!! None of us are really newbies here, in that we've had some experience running.. like the one poster indicated. So, sounds like you'll fit right in Smile I just moved to Southern Oregon about 2 years ago, but lived the whole rest of my life in Orange County, CA. I really miss going to the SD zoo, used to love to take the kids there at least 1x a year. Off to get DD ready for her last soccer game of the season. CYL!
                Welcome Dorsey. You lucky dog to live in San Diego. I will be there next month seeing my sister and family. She lives in Escondido. I need to find a running route. I would like something fun like the boardwalk. Where do you run? Its a great group here. We could use your experience too. I am also coming off the DL. 2 months no running with the mother of all hamstring pulls. My long run was 8 before and I am back up to 5 if done slowly. Laurie
                Hi all! I am sort of "de-lurking" too! I have a hard time keeping up with multiple groups, but I'll try to get better! Laurie, your post caught my eye when you mentioned Escondido- my cousin lives there. And checking your profile, I see you're an air traffic controller. He is too! He's about to retire at the end of the year I believe. Don't know how small the air traffic controller circles are, but do you know anyone by the last name of Dice?
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Sockoni--Welcome to another lurker. Always happy to have new faces.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hi Sockoni--Welcome to another lurker. Always happy to have new faces.
                    Thanks Kevin! Smile I hope your shin splints get better!

Me

Welcome Sockoni, Any time someone feels comfortable de-luking here, they are welcome. I just got an e-mail from my son with some pictures from the ranger ball. let me see if i can post one.
                        Welcome, Dorsey and Sockoni. I've been hanging around here since the CR days, but I've pretty much been lurking lately because of my work schedule. Kevin - we definitely want to see prom pics! I remember the photos from your DDs birthday - she IS beautiful. What a busy day for her with three recitals and then the prom. Mike - hope the move is going well. I'm still on the fence about whether to do the 5K with my running group/class tomorrow morning. Had a terrible run on Thursday evening and not a whole lot better today. I'm really letting myself get psyched out about how little my pace has improved and how much I dread being close to, or possibly, DFL. I know, I know - it's about doing it, not about PRs, enjoy the moment, blah, blah, blah. I think it's one of the few negative effects of reading the daily thread every day - I STILL feel like such a slug compared to everyone else. Guess the good news is that it makes newbie-land even more special. Smile I'm going to wait and see how I feel in the morning. I'll definitely run tomorrow, just don't know whether it will be in the chosen solitude of my neighborhood or that painful solitude at the back of the pack in the race. Roll eyes Tomorrow afternoon is the final concert (ever) of a chamber choir that I've sung with for the past 5+ years. It's going to be over the top in terms of emotion. We sound better than ever and the music for this concert is exquisite. There's one piece that I haven't once managed to sing in rehearsal without getting choked up, so singing it in performance should be a real trick. Waterproof mascara and tissues are definitely requirements! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Hey Eliz, What ever you decide to do, I'm rooting for you. Mike
                            Thanks, Mike. Just went to the race web site again - it has one time for the start, Active (our friends who brought down CR) has another, and the woman who organized the running class emailed us with a third. So, it could be at 7:45, or at 9:00, or maybe at 9:15. Shocked I'm taking this as a sign that I need to focus on the concert tomorrow and can run a race on a nice, FLAT barrier island at the Jersey shore NEXT Sunday when all of the concert strum und drang, both from school and in my own performing life, will be over. Maybe I'll treat tomorrow's run as my own personal virtual 5K. Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz - good luck at the concert. I love singing, but I have just an average voice. In high school, I tried out for the "advanced" choir, and was invited to be the accompaniest instead of singing in it! I still like to harmonize, though - the church I grew up in didn't use any instrumental music, so everyone learned to sing pretty well. Dorsey and Joni, good to see you here! It's a friendly place. Rinda, glad you're starting to want to exercise again! You're sure going through a lot. We've been putting polyurethane on the wood trim for our house addition. It doesn't seem to bother anybody else in my family, but the fumes give me a WICKED bad headache. and Excedrin doesn't help at all. At least running doesn't make it any worse, but I'm getting tired of it. This has happened in the past, so I know it's the poly. I ran 6.3 miles today - BEAUTIFUL weather - sunny, breezy, and 70 degrees. I thought it might be too hot, but the breeze cooled everything off. Talk about feeling slow - it took me 1:08:30 to run that far. Then DS15 went out and ran 10 miles in about 1:10!! So Eliz, I ALWAYS feel slow! Yesterday, he ran a 3200-meter race (1.988 miles) in 10:02. He beat a team mate who's a year older, 7 inches taller, and usually the fastest boy on the team - by 26 seconds. I still don't understand whose genes he got! I think high school track is the neatest sport - to see all those kids running like the wind and making it look so easy. And the hurdlers! I'm glad my kids don't do hurdles - I wouldn't be able to watch. Yesterday, a girl took a pretty bad fall on one. Enough rambling - time for bed!
                                Dorsey and Joni, good to see you here! It's a friendly place.
                                Thanks Teresa! This seems like one of the friendliest places on here.
                                Talk about feeling slow - it took me 1:08:30 to run that far.
                                Teresa, it's all about perspective. To me, you're FAST!! Big grin You are making awesome progress. I realize everyone's different, but how long before you started seeing improvements in time? I feel like I'm on a slow train to nowhere sometimes!