Masters Running

It's Thursday, 8.6.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Aamos, thanks for the skirt info. Love those Blister bibs!

I'm very glad that you are running so well, statin-free, Ribs. Keep up the good work, and enjoy the heat wave - don't send it northeast, OK?

Congrats to DD, Holly. Although, as Steve noted, it is not all that much of a surprise, given her past achievements and who her mom is.

I'm glad you're enjoying the trails, Roch.

Congrats on your PRs, Tet, and for showing us that they're not just for kids.

Enjoy the family visit, Henrun!

My goodness, you're busy at work, Deeze! It's a good thing you are in such good shape.

Hi, Twocat and LaT.

Good for you for taking good care of Midnight, Evanflein, and it's a good thing he stayed (just barely) below the $$ ceiling.

Steve, my DW and some of her relatives are addicted to their FitBits, and have regular competitions. The big upside is that most of them are getting a lot more exercise than they used to, so I can (sort of) forgive them being so fanatical about them keeping up their totals and competing with one another.

5.2 easy RW miles in IWC: 61F, dry air, and a nice breeze from the west. I saw a shooting star (yes, even with a half moon high in the sky, it's pretty dark out these mornings), and surprised a couple of deer that were grazing by the side of the road.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

All's WRIGHT in the Nation this morning.     That's all I'm sayin'

Just shy of slow 3.5 this am as it was cloudy last night so DH and I both went out; I got in at an under 9 pace and hope to play with my Speedster friends tonight, so playing it safe.

Did you get supper, Steve?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Just got home from the gym and will start packing for tomorrow's trip for a weekend biking event. This is one of those with 100s of participants riding various distances, with great scenery and rest stop food. It's also another foray into Amish country -- this time in northern Indiana -- so I'll look to snag another of those yummy "fry pies" that they make. This is the end of my planned travels for a while; just realized this is my 5th trip in the last 8 weeks, 3 of them on my own!

Also good results from my bloodwork this week, with cholesterol and especially LDL lower than they've ever been, which the doctor wanted to see based on my heart scan last winter.

Here's a photo from the Charlevoix half-marathon as I crossed the finish line. Dave59 and Slo are somewhere up the hill in the background. For once I remembered to keep my head up instead of looking down at my watch like so many do.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Nice form Roch. And I see you coached that woman next to you on how to tie a jacket.

Recovery run for me today after that 9 miler yesterday.  3.3 on the dirt track. Now a full day of work, then cook for the family as the boys are all here for dinner.  Spareribs

HermosaBoy

Hi all,

Just checking back in after kind of a bitter sweet trip to California.

Nice to see some of the old stomping grounds and to be able to attend my wife's niece's wedding.  Not fun dealing with estate stuff.

Oh well, keep moving forward!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

HermosaBoy I have, alas, now handled several estates. None are ever any fun.  Plus, our governments have created a legal paperwork morass that can go on forever. 

SteveP word on the street is you were lazy in your young age.  So the good news is you cannot get lazy in your old age!  

evanflein if you are like my DW that "ceiling" would shatter the minute the vet said, "Oh, this might . . ." But if you love your kitty, you love your kitty.  I am glad it took less than the budgeted amount to get a diagnosis and a potential remedy.

Mike E "okay that's it" only applies to one or two line posts.  Not recaps!  Rules ya know.    As to turning 57, as they say better than the alternative!

mrrun ah the famous Boston T.  The %$@%#$%@#$ that collapses on Marathon Monday!  That and the famous Rosie Ruiz's favorite mode of racing transportation!

deez4boyz careful on that bike!  No getting hurt until after September 20, you hear me!!!   Other than that, nice brick workout!

henrun still counts as a brick!

tetsujin209 Nice PRs!  Man you keep track of a lot of statistics! 

rochrunner regarding ruts in trails and complaints thereof let me introduce you to evanflein.  evanflein this is rochrunner.  

Holly S. I thought the whole idea of fartleks is that they are sort of randomly thrown in.  If you have decent GPS on your cell phone the Zombies Run app (now free, at least free if you just get one episode every 6 days) creates random fartleks during your run.  You might be worth a try.

Spareribs man am I glad to hear dropping the statins has been all upside so far!  I hope it is the total cure to what has been ailing you.

AamosY if you pick another goal like your last one, your legs are going to demand new ownership and run away!  

coastwalker the staff where I work took up FitBit competition awhile ago.  I think it is great!  Their competitions get them in better shape.  I always thought that runners that race are more likely to keep it up and generally stay in shape than people who just take up running but never race.  The competition, wherever it comes from seems to be an incredibly good motivating factor.

This morning the humidity broke (well broke for here) and I went out for 14 miles.  My pace though was pathetic!  I am not sure what is going on.but I am running a good minute per mile slower than I would like given my effort.  I am not running tons of miles, so I cannot really blame it on workout fatigue.  Just stumped at the moment.  Today I am staying busy watching some computer code process data.  <Insert bored falling asleep smiley here.>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I'm thinking about getting a FitBit for my DH.  Might be a fun way for him to try to increase his walking around on the job.  I know when I got a Garmin it opened up a new level of running fun.

Roch - great news on the bloodwork and nice photo.

Hermosaboy - glad there was some fun mixed with the sad.

Twocat - I never run with my phone - it's just too big.

Last night about 8:30pm, DD rushed me into a response about whether she could go to Laser Tag with her friend, with the girl's mother driving.  Everything was very pleasepleaseplease and it's a church event, and pleasepleaseplease with the girl's mother waiting for my answer and finally I said okay, thinking she would be out for a couple of hours, maybe until 11pm.  I went to bed and woke up at 1:45am, went to check her bed and found it empty.  Panicking, I texted her and the mother at the same time.  Turns out the church event was an overnight at the Laser Tag center, midnight to 7am.  DD left that particular detail out, and the other mother assumed I knew.  This is typical of the type of manipulations DD has been doing in recent months that has me at my wits end.  We are going to have a serous talk tonight.  Again.

No run for me today, just 35 minutes or so of weights and core watching Poldark.  Could that guy possibly be any more handsome?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...lookin' good roch//////

It just dawned on me I won't be able to do Cardio for A MONTH after surgery

meh.

============

so I did extra today

.....40-min poolrun, no belt, deepend only, closed fists

later

it dawned  on me I'll be able to do something besides this damn poolrunning.

yay

..........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice photo Doug!

Deez - I remember during my son's delivery that the nurse who had been with me for several hours had to go home because her shift ended.  I had only about another hour or less of pushing (my first baby).  I was really touched that she had called in a few hours later to find out how everything went.  I just assumed once the nurses were off duty, they wouldn't care.  Nurses rule, and if were 10 or more years younger, I'd probably go back to school to get licensed.

Luvcation is still going really well.  It's gonna be hard at the end of the week to part ways and not wake up beside my house guest for another two weeks.  But at least the kids will be home then to distract me.  We went out for sushi last night - just down the road from me, and it was extremely good and reasonably priced.  Wish I had known about that place years ago.

5.2 miles with Remi.  He stopped to sniff stuff just way too often...  So it was really a fartlek run, but I was very pleased my legs felt perky and no pains or aches anywhere!  I bought new Brooks Launch 2? shoes, and love them.  Think I will see if I can find another pair.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks, roch, for the photo alert!  Lookit I found--we'll see if it copies (since I didn't buy it.)  Too bad you can't see the "Boomer Reunion Run in big letters on the back of the shirt.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

My Fitbit should be showing up anyday now. If you want to participate in the Nestle corporate challenge you need to have an "approved" tracker and join a team of 8. As a team you have 24 days to log 1,344,000 steps. If you do each individual for that team is entered into a drawing for prizes...the grand prize being a trip to Hawaii. You have to download a very poorly designed app "Jiff". From the app you can get a discount on your tracker.

Frankly, I think someone figured out how to sell a boatload of fitbit trackers under the guise of a corporate health challenge.

It's been nearly IRC. Awesome temps!

Holly...After two daughters, I can fully relate.

Great photo's Amy and Doug. The phote matching my bib number wasn't me.

Deez - I remember during my son's delivery that the nurse who had been with me for several hours had to go home because her shift ended.  I had only about another hour or less of pushing (my first baby).  I was really touched that she had called in a few hours later to find out how everything went.  I just assumed once the nurses were off duty, they wouldn't care.  Nurses rule, and if were 10 or more years younger, I'd probably go back to school to get licensed.

Thanks Enke!! We definitely care - can't tell you how many of my patients have a piece of my heart!!

Tried to do a tempo run today but didn't have it in my - guess that long day yesterday left me a little empty today even tho I slept well last night.

Warmed up with 2 easy miles - then hit 8:40, 8:33, started having some pain in the middle of my butt cheek ?SI joint - did an 8:43 and decided 3 tempo-ish miles was enough and took it easy for 1.5 miles to make it home. Went to the chiro and he did some stretching and muscle release work, sent me home with stretching exercises! Hope this is fleeting - I have lots of training on my schedule!!

denise

Thanks for getting us started almost every day here, Jay.  You are the best!  Shooting stars are pretty cool, glad you got to see one.

Ribs, I hope that the statin-free test is the answer to your muscle fatigue. I have read that they are over-prescribed here in the U.S.  I have a grammar/punctuation question for you.  My grandfather went by E. O. Olson and they are putting up a big plaque here in town for a project he gave money to.  The proof has E.O. Olson and I told them that was wrong and instructed them to put a space between the initials.

Holly, I do think that DD should have told you about the overnight. Didn't she pack a bag?  Overnight "lock'ins" with teenagers are never a good idea.

Roch - good photo, but gloves, really? What do you have tied around your waist? I am sure it is not a jacket.

Hi Amy! I recognize that shirt too....

Twocat - Isn't it a blessing when the humidity drops? Thankfully, we had great weather last weekend for our family reunion campout.

Tomwhite - I have no idea how to do poolrunning, but you must be the expert! Good luck on the surgery.

Enke - I am so happy for you and Mr BlueEyes!

I have only been running sporadically for various reasons but did run 3 times in one week in July, yippee!  My friend who is 9 years older than me came to Minnesota to visit from Portland, Oregon. She is a runner also, although slower than me, ha! We did a 3 mile loop early one morning.  After making coffee I took her on a pontoon boat ride around the lake and served yogurt and muffins.  It was a delightful morning.  I cannot wait until I am retired!

This past weekend we had over 50 people camping with us for a family reunion. On Saturday there were 80 of us for a picnic at noon.  MrStarr and I organized the whole event and it was well received. By January we will have 120 descendants from his mom and dad.  We have Lloyd's Legacy shirts for everyone (that wanted to buy one).  MrStarr is #6, I am #23 and the new grandbaby will be #120. On Sunday morning I was awake early at the campground and headed out on the paved trail.  The sunrise was wonderful, and so was the perfectly timed porta-potty placement.  Last night's run around the lake was uneventful and I am back on a roll.

This is all of MrStarr's siblings and spouses. #10 is his brother, Brian going through cancer treatments now. The two sisters are in the front row, # 5 and one without a number.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Holly, congrats to your daughter for making the team but "boo" to her about her overnighter.  ribs, I'm glad to hear you're running better without the statins.  I wonder if I should discuss this with my doctor.  henrun and marj, enjoy the family time.  starr, it sounds like you had a good famiy reunion.  Nice picture.

Nice long runs for Mike and Twocat.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly.

This morning, it was in the high 50s in Ludington and it was almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:42 pace.

A good day and good running for all.

TomS

Mariposai

That is such a nice family picture, Star. Ohh and yo are looking great.

Raoch, great picture .

Amy, you look so fresh at that finish line. You are amazing, btw.

Way to go Holly's DD.

Deeze, you are one inspiring lady! Busy at work, family life and a tri-athlete.

Enke, we have to try the shushi place next time I go to visit you. Maybe your house guest will join us too.

Twocat, glad to hear that there was no rain during your run today.

Enjoy the boys tonight, Spareribs. Our DS#2 is coming home this weekend with his GF. I can't wait to meet her and pamper both of them with my food.

Speaking of food, my garden is producing way too much and I am having a difficult time keeping up with the produce.

Today was a rest day for the Easy Pacer, which allowed me to sleep in a little bit more before I joined my RP for a run.

Well, I ran only 7.5 smile miles total. It was such a great chatting run with my RP. One of those where you are so lost in the conversation that before you know it, you are already back to your house.

Back to work. Enjoy your evening, folks.

Happy Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard