Masters Running

Last March Daily, 3.31.13 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

CNY - I forgot to congratulate you on your fine race in the rain/wind in Cambridge yesterday! I saw your teammate who was the #3 woman at Westfield yesterday - she was one of the ones who passed me in the last 2-3 miles. She was flying! Thanks for offering to talk to the RD about my experience in Westfield. You certainly can, but you don't have to - I'm going to send him a friendly email with my observations and thoughts this morning.

Stumpy - sorry I missed you at the Westfield Half this year. Which company is your BIL's? Both sleeves were logo'd.

Tet, there aren't a lot of winter races in the northeast, but more and more are popping up: Part of the reason is that the schedule for the rest of the year is really packed, and also quite a few folks are now organizing snow shoe races. If you are walking 125-130 spm, especially for 12 hours, you are doing exceptionally well, and are one strong-legged dude!

Sounds like a greta day yesterday, Ribs.

Must have been your good karma that cleared out the bad weather for your 30K yesterday, Twocat. Excellent job of pacing!

I hope you have a good visit to Tapertown this week, Robin.

Deeze, it's amazing that you were able to do 18.2 yesterday with the nasty weather and your head cold - greta tenacity! Too bad about the unpleasant return bus ride. Have fun with this week's birthdays.

Great 10.2 dry/windy miles, Enke, and sound like the non-date was worth the wait (so far).

13 mi. with 60 mph winds, NHLA? I hope it was at your back most of the way!

Sorry about the code, Holly. I hope it is short-term.

Beautiful and powerful photo, Mariposai, and a greta week of running. We give all our race volunteers a copy of our FAQs and a race map so they'll be able to answer almost any question put to them.

Sounds like a good time at the 5K, C-R. I also like Patrick's attitude...

Congrats on getting out for your 10er in shorts, Mike.

Sounds like a great 21-miler, Mike. I hope you get a quick and good offer on the house.

Thanks for the rain stats, Evanflein - I'm feeling a bit damp...  Isn't is surprising how one needs to adjust from TM to road running? I don't see anything wrong with wardrobe adjustments in mid-run - I can't tell you how many times I zipped my vest up and down in yesterday's race, depending on the wind.

After some of yesterday's posts, I was going to suggest a "Talk like Tet" day. But I don't know if I could deal if everyone does that... 

Not a surprise, this is a rest & recovery day for me. I have to admit that I took 2 ibu before I went to bed last night, and that helped a lot with my remaining aches. Maybe I'll go for some easy miles tomorrow.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks for the excellent recap - and nice racing yesterday!

Lots of you folks still suffering from colds and other ailments. All of our grandkids have the stomach bug right now, which they were kind enough to pass on to their parents. I'm keeping my distance!

Six miles this morning with a good friend/co-worker from the Y. It was 41° when we left the Y at 5:00 AM. Do you know how long it's been since we've had temps that warm this early in the morning? I'll tell you. Since last October. Gloves came off and jackets were unzipped, and we could hear the birds chirping!  We could be over the worst of the weather this season (she said with fingers crossed)

Hope your Mondays are off to a good start!

..yes, Congratulations CNY//...........Nice Racing...........

============

........28mprnb

deo

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Deeze, it's amazing that you were able to do 18.2 yesterday with the nasty weather and your head cold - greta tenacity! Too bad about the unpleasant return bus ride. Have fun with this week's birthdays.

Right about now I'm thinking I should replace the word amazing with foolish --  my sinuses hurt so bad today it's ridiculous!! 

denise

King of PhotoShop

Good morning all!  Just a quick stop and post.   4.5 at easy pace in the park.

Excited about going to Opening Day baseball. Phillies are in town.  All our guys are hurt and on DL but I always have hopes.

Wrote a post in the DMN on what the new changes will mean for people bringing stuff with them in drop bags at Boston this year:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/boston-marathoners-where-will-you-put-your-stuff.html/

That ought to get some dialog going.   Spareribs

NHLA

5 miles 44 min & 4 miles with Sandy.  He is all business when he runs.

Jay I checked the wind and started off hiding behind Echo Mt. Then I made every turn to keep the wind at my back for 7 miles. Cut across the wind for 3 miles wind blowing hard on rt. shoulder then 3 miles right into the teeth of the wind. I heard myself scream but it sounded like it was far behind me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the excellent recap.

Me too jay, I almost understood what I said, or didn't.'

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Twocat, nice, speedy 30K race.  deez, did you have a birthday?  If so, I hope it was a good one.  If not, I still hope you had a good day.  Jay, good job in your (long) half.  C-R, neat 5K with Patrick.  CNY, nice going in your 5K.

Nice long runs for Mike, mari, deez, enke, NHLA, Holly, ras, and evan.

This morning, it was in the high 20s with just a light wind.  I got in 6 miles at a 10:52 pace.

I'll add to the comments about winter races.  In my area, there are a lot of races year round.  Included is a series of 3 in Dec, Jan, and Feb and another series of 4 in Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar.  My coldest race was 3° and windy.  I have had races with a fair amount of snow and ice.  Several of my friends regularly run 50 or so races a year.  One young couple I know did 167 races in 2013.  With my goal of at least one race each month, I usually get 14-16 races a year.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

....Way to go NHLA//..........it's difficult to scream behind yourself.........

this could come in handy later

Thanks for the recap and great start as always Jay! The teammate who went by you is a barefoot runner who was wearing her minimalist sandals yesterday only because the roads are rough and full of sand and salt and gunk right now. She’ll probably race Boston barefoot  (did so last year) and ran Manchester barefoot too. She just started running three years ago and is only scratching the surface of her talent----we love watching her fly and at 29, we’ve got some fun years ahead!

I am sure the RD will appreciate your comments and observations. All good.

Yikes JLynne….hope you keep that stomach bug at bay. Some of our fastest 5kers were down for the count with that over the weekend and couldn't race. Blech

Ran my last super long run with Iron J this morning. We ran at Boston marathon start time and on a route that imitates the race course for the most part (downhill in the first miles, climbing in the penultimate miles). Good thing we started off at 10:25 (wave 2 time) since it was sleeting earlier this morning. Now just grey and damp. Fast finish LDR at 8:02 pace overall. Thanks for the race props folks.

You are right TW, the screaming behind yourself method that NHLA has going might come in handy indeed!

Good article Ribs and it will be interesting to read the responses/comments.

coastwalker what a mess on your race yesterday!  All too often at races the volunteers seem to have been sent out with little or no direction.  The instructions must just be fill cups with whatever is around and hand it out.  Some RDs I think add, never ever let the runners know if you have water or sports drink.  Say nothing!

No run for me today after yesterday's race.  The results are still not up.  It is a local race so they go up when the RD has time during the week to post them.  Just the way it is.  Anyway, it is a good thing I was not running today.  It snowed!  The highway on my way to work was a total mess, nearly doubling my commute time.  Looking outside my office the roofs are still topped with snow from this morning.  I sure hope it warms up tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

NHLA

TW  when are you going to be in Gulf Shores?  I am going to be down there but not sure when. I have family down there.

...end of April, but Pickles has PLANS for me........

not sure what,

but

if one of the Plans is MURDER..........I would love to buy you a Beer one afternoon

Marathon Maniac #957

Me too jay, I almost understood what I said, or didn't.'

Tselbs - you are a tougher runner than I!  I wimp out on racing when the weather is that cold.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

I have a light week planned, given the marathon next weekend, but I had some slight foot pain yesterday (this time the peroneal tendon), so I may lighten up even more to ensure I don't aggravate anything.  That darn pace bunny is right on my heels though!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

What marathon Holly?

Good rest day Jay.

Went out for a nice run this evening. Both boys tagged along with their bikes so it was fun to just talk and trot along. Spring seems to finally have made it here. How can I tell? The Cubs lost already. Good grief.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/