Masters Running

Am I Really Starting the 1/5/15 Daily at 10:41EST!? (Read 36 times)

Where is everybody?  coastwalkercoastwalker you okay?  Hello, anybody see coastwalker?  Maybe check up on the guy?

If you are into number patterns with dates and are willing to deal with military time then at 3:15:15pm today it will be 1/5/15 15:15:15! 

I did read yesterday's daily but my only comment is about the wines and the cheap vs. pricey ones.  I find it depends a lot on the type of wine.  Across whites, I am not sure there is a huge difference.  Across reds?  Huge!  Monster differences!  I suspect lot of what we think of as good or bad has to do with how well hidden the alcohol is.  I find pricey wines are more likely to hide the alcohol better, so you taste more "wine" and less whatever it is that alcohol tastes like.  Then again, most nights I drink whiskey so I am clearly not all that adverse to the taste of alcohol!  Now, cheap whiskey vs. at least moderately priced whiskey; there is a difference you can easily detect!

As to running, I had wavered on yesterday's first local Boston Buildup Series race, which is a 10k.  The report was for rain and as you all know the rule is no running in the rain.©  But the rain stopped in time and so I went off to the race.  I finished in a 7:22 pace which means I have a lot of work to do (I think mostly losing the weight I gained since my last marathon) before my next marathon!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

After yesterday's long, cold and windy workout, we awoke to a cold but still day, the sun shining brightly, and took Lucy out for a 2 mile recovery run.  I love those days of jogging as slowly as possible along with Lucy who is so excited to be with us.

Stopped to admire two beautiful bobcats lurking at the edge of the woods. The Saint took a photo with her phone, but it will be hard to see the cat, as its natural color blends so well with the surrounding foliage.  Two strangers stopped us to say there were bobcats along the trail, but we see them there all the time.  Still, it is a sight to behold.

I put my post up just now on the Dallas Morning News site, a simple reminder to get a physical this year, so you can live another year to run.  Running alone does not make you healthy, and all too many runners believe that just because they run, they don't have to do the routine and simple things like going regularly for a check-up:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/the-best-new-years-resolution-for-runners.html/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

Good Morning TwoCat and Ribs.

Rest day for me. just stretching and core. good thing too as the hip flexors are a bit sore from 5 days in a row of running.

Tammy

Good Morning ~

Glad it stopped raining in the nick of time fer ya, 2K.

Ribs - I thought of you yesterday as I was running at Headwaters and as I tried to concentrate on lifting the trailing leg.  It definitely makes a difference, but I constantly find my mind wandering and soon my legs are back to their old habit of barely coming off the ground.  It is something I will continue to work on.

Since I don't feel like I've had a day off since a week ago Sunday (I worked for almost 2 hrs with Shorty on Saturday), I took today off.  Yesterday's run at Headwaters was my hardest (i.e., I tried to push the envelope as much as possible) since my race in October and I was feeling it the rest of the day.

At about 1:00 a.m., I signed up for the "Pick Your Poison" 24-Hour Trail Run.  Why at 1:00?  Registration opened at midnight, I don't know how fast this race will sell out, and I was awake thinking about it, so I got up and got it out of my head.  It'll be my first 24 hr attempt.  You can run the road or the trail, but you can't go back and forth.  I'll be running the trail, which is approximately 14 miles around Hagg Lake in Oregon.  We'll see how it goes!

Have a great week ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks, quick fly-by while I wolf down my sandwich....

Twocat - My DH has decided he wants to explore the Bourbon Trail, so we are going down to KY for an overnight with two other couples on Feb. 14-15.  Yup, that's Valentine's Day, but the reason he picked that was not as a sweetheart getaway but because I told him that weekend worked well with my running schedule....

Leslie - that sounds like a fun event!

No run for me today, but 40 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That's a good reminder, Ribs!  I was telling a friend about your heart story the other day..... in the context of him getting news that he had a valve defect and being told to stop running until he can see a cardiologist.  And of course here in Canada that can take months if it's not an emergency.  The guy's completed countless marathons and three 100 mile races...... so the "don't run" edict isn't sitting well with him, needless to say.

Leslie.... I did a double take a that race name.  We have a "Pick Your Poison" nearby here as well in April, but they max it out at 50K.  Have fun!

Weather finally turned quite cold here (OK, not Erika cold), so I opted for 4 miles on the TM at work this morning.  Think I'll make it a regular date with the Woodway for intervals, as my speed's pretty much non-existent these days.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Wild, good job in your 5K with 1st in AG.  steve, great pictures, especially the one of Jude.  Dave, nice job at Reese.  My son wanted to get together that day so I missed the race.  Also, I hope your hip gets better quickly.  Twocat, speedy 10K.  Good work.

Nice long runs for Mike, heme, fatozzig, and evan.  Good job on the speedwork for Tammy.

This morning, it was about 0° and there was a pretty good wind.  I decided on the TM.  It was 5 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

janie b good

Happy New Year everyone!  I'm back from my 2 week holiday hiatus.  felt sooooo good to hit the TM this afternoon.

5.32 miles = happy legs

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Thought you all might find this interesting.  The bridge, called Old Rattlesnake Bar Bridge, has been submerged in Folsom Lake since it was created in 1955.  Due the severe drought in CA, the bridge is now fully exposed and in good enough shape for crossing on foot.  The pictures are from the FB page of Meghan Arbogast.  She and a couple of friends ran across the bridge.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

So, did they build the bridge in anticipation of a lake being created and they just didn't make it high enough, or was it just another bridge to nowhere?

-1° this morning. I didn't know the windchill or feels like temperature and I didn't want to know.  I went to the gym for an upper body workout.  My hip isn't too bad.  I could be back running in a day or two.  I could run now, but then it might make it worse again.

Sayhey! MM#130

Am I really the only one still recovering from the "what happened to the penalty call" at the Lions game?  That was so clearly pass interference!  --> I won't say any more, as this is a family group.

6 slow ones this am.  Actually got in a long, very slow run Saturday.  Healing continues, albeit slowly.  Rode bikes with Dh on Sanibel yesterday and took photos of an alligator.

Florida joined the other 35 states today where gays can marry.  We have nuptuals in Miami-Dade today, thanks to Judge Zabel, who lifted her prior stay.

Hope 2015 is behaving itself for y'all.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Tramps

Am I really the only one still recovering from the "what happened to the penalty call" at the Lions game?  That was so clearly pass interference!  --> I won't say any more, as this is a family group.

+1

Early 5 miler under a big bright moon.  Too rushed to post this morning, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Did anybody ever find coastwalker?  Did anybody ask Henry and Marj?  They seem to be everywhere.

Have you decided on your next marathon Twocat?

Ribs--one question--why did Lucy need a 2 mile recovery run?

See, Tammy...the boy knows what he's doing...he gave you a rest day.  He's going to torture you, tomorrow.

Oh, Leslie...will you never learn?  You should have waited till morning, tried to sign up and--oh darn--full.  Why would anybody put themselves through such torture?

Planning a trip around your running schedule is a very sweetheart thing to do...not that I'm calling your DH a sweetheart...and...I'm not saying he's not...oh, never mind.

It's cold here, too, Heme--and the treadmill is getting a workout.

Even TomS is staying on the treadmill...smart man.

It's good to have happy legs, janie b

Like Dave, I am a bit confused about that bridge, too, Leslie.  It's amazing...and scary...how much Dave and I think alike.

Amy--the officials blew it.  There are many people who think all professional sports are rigged...when I see things like that happen, I have to wonder.  It's good to see you are making a steady recovery.

So, it's still nice enough to run outside, huh, Tramps?  I think I want to move someplace like that.

Well, I did 10 miles on the treadmill...and that is where I'll be doing all my running, this week...it is cold out there.

But--cold, or not--I still have to go out there and shovel--so off I go.  See ya!

TammyinGP

week 2 doesn't seem too terribly bad . . . so far. . .

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no running for me but me too amy

The unfounded and unexplained surreptitious retrieval of the interference flag on Dallas is my third never-to-be-forgotten call of failed officiating along with (1) the Seahawks loss to the Steelers in a superbowl (2006) reeking with so many bad calls that even the responsible officials belatedly (2010) acknowledged them and, the other way around, then-Seahawks receiver Golden Tate’s somewhat tenuous “reception” of what the scab refs probably should have called a failed hail mary.  Not surprisingy, the strike was over two days later.
                                Nonsense that the Lions would have lost anyway, It changed the game and should have been corrected at the time.  It was as obvious then as it still is now, and will remain so, if not more so, in the same three more years and ten more I still remember mine.
                                ps - turns out that my idea for the Detroit Lions to beat the Dallas Cowboys so the Golden Tate could come back and face the Seahawks who dumped him wouldn’t have worked with the projected scheduling.  Maybe Seahawks/Packers though.  I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)