Masters Running

Wed Feb 4 Runs and etc (Read 534 times)

Good morning, everyone! We woke up to see white streets, and were a bit worried about the footing. But the 1/2" or so of snow was light and fluffy, and the temps were cold, so it wasn't slippery at all. We ran in a very light snow, also not a problem. When I retraced my steps, I thought of pooh and piglet who were tracking a heffalump. At least I think that's what they were tracking. Anyway... 6.1 miles, 56:08, 9:17/mi, AHR 134 (67% MHR) Good runs, all!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Pooh, Piglet, and Heffalump Lou? You need to upgrade your literature choices a little ... A chilly morning today but tomorrow morning is predicted to be the coldest in several years. So I decided to run a little today and cross train at the gym tomorrow. 3.5 recovery miles at a slow 10:10 pace. Average HR 120. It was gloriously beautiful out there this morning .., Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Lou and Bill...boy, you guys are early this morning. Nice running for both of you, but was really impressed yesterday with your very good runs and greta paces Smile EGH3 , remember you talking about my patience the other day and watching me...you may want to skip this. I had a follow up appointment with my foot doctor which I hesitated to even go to, but decided to anyways. Auggg, after a series of motion tests and poking and prodding around, he said I was NOT even close to running yet...I couldn't even do one of the tests or exercises he tried to have me do. Then I had an X Ray to check on my heel spur. He said I would need to have it shaved off because it would only get worse. I said (literally) hey you f...ing jackass, I asked you about this heel spur months ago, and YOU told ME it was NO big deal what so ever...I was really pissed about everything. Well, when TimBo gets pissed, guess what he does....yep, the opposite of what I am told to prove people wrong. Sooooooo, at the Y last night........... 12 miles with 2 walking at 13 minute pace then 10 miles running....ok, let the Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes begin. 10 miles - 1:18:45 - 7:53 Ave pace - with mile 6 at 7:30 pace - mile 7 at 7:15 pace - mile 8 at 7:00 pace - 141 ave HR. 169 max during mile 8 at 7:00 pace. And boy, talk about sweating...I was soaked, my TM was soaked, and the gal next to me was getting second hand sweat. I actually felt great and really got into "the zone" and did a lot better than I thought I would because of not running for almost 3 months. But this run was fueled by me being mad, and the adrenaline associated with it. OK, I got THAT out of my system, but have to admit I feel better this morning than I thought I would...but just think about that DOMS later today and tomorrow. Now I have some decisions to make, but if I stay pain free in my foot, I may do nothing. But I WILL find another foot doctor if I run into problems. I realize some are going to be critical of me, but try and understand my emotional state, and how MUCH I want to get back to training for Marathons again. Oh yeah, there was a Woman involved again Roll eyes. At mile 4 this gal got on the treadmill next to me, and I told myself I would run as long as she did...she ran 6 miles which equaled my 10. OK, Now back to my run / walk routine, with only 3 or 4 miles running for now each workout. Have a Great Day Everyone, TimBo GGTK - Tampster

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Abelisle – nice wintry trails photos yesterday. WRFB - DD and I were just reading about Pooh and Piglet last night. Tim - I'm not saying a word.... 5 recovery miles for me on the TM, watching Doctor Who. I finally have all my tax documents together and tabulated, receipts totaled and organized, and that book that the accountant sends all filled out. Hours of work I put in, and yet we spend hundreds on a tax preparer ($375 last year). I’m so tempted to try Turbo Tax, but a bit nervous about it. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Couldn't even lift my arm to turn off the alarm. Surprised Just deep, deep sleep. Finally did wake my arm up enough to silence it, and no one stirred -- no dog, no kids, no husband. I promptly went back to sleep. Luck was on my side, as everything warmed up slightly for a bit last night and then froze solid. It's a skating rink out there. Would have been no point to wake up. Again, luck seems to be on my side though, as it is supposed to go to 36° F by 10 a.m. Lunchtime run for me! WRFB, you are speaking my language! I know I'll miss these times with the kids, but sometimes I just can't take how sing-songy the arts in my life are currently. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I've been right out straight these last few days and today isn't looking much better so I figured I would get some posting done early. Monday was a much deserved rest day and yesterday I did 7.01 miles - 51:08 (7:18) 1 mile warm up - 4 x 1 mile w/ 1/4 mile recovery jogs - 1 mile cool down 8:26 - 6:38 - 2:10 - 6:35 - 2:09 - 6:27 - 2:08 - 6:11 - 2:00 - 8:16 - :07 Hey Bill I think Lou's getting ready for the grandkids talking about Pooh, Piglet and Heffalumps! Big grin TimBo - Tight lipped Tight lipped Tight lipped Tight lipped

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. you do need to see a real sport doc... or if it doesn't hurt. do nothing! I have a heel spur and it affects nothing nada. I believe heel spurs form due to damage but don't cause the damage. But I'm no MD. Nice run though Smile Tempo day....2 mi warmup at 9:53 pace with Tory then 6 mi in 44:07 (7:21 pace, AHR 162) then 2 mi cd at 9:00 pace A good north wind. Tempo splits:7:16, 7:30 (into wind), 7:35 (more wind), 7:08 (wind at back), 7:14, 7:22 Overall 10 miles in 1:21:56 (8:11 pace). Now the rest of the week is slow stuff.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tim, Take this for what its worth as I am not a doctor nor an olympic runner. First off your a big boy and can do whatever you want. If you got through that run with no ill effects then great! On the otherhand coming back that hard even with no issues is not a good idea and since you already know that then there is no point in bringing it up. ( even though I just did) LOL I have had a heal spur for years. Its the size of a Rhino horn I swear. I have learned to run with it by making sure I stretch and ice when necessary and Don't try to ramp things up to fast when I am increasing distance or especially speed. It has slowed me down some but if taken care of you can run wth a heal spur. I was also told if you get it taken off it can come right back because the problem that caused it was not adressed. The achiles thing is only making the heal spur worse because thats what is rubbing on it keeping it inflamed I would guess. It is pulling on the Plantar and rubbing the spur. Now since I am not a doctor I am sure everything I just said is all wrong but I have been dealing with this for years and thats what I have come up with. Good luck on your come back and sometimes you just have to "do what you have to do" Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I slept. 10 hours. Felt awesome. Tim, sorry for your frustration. Wish I had a clever thing to say. I don't. Hope your DOMS is minimal.

Slo

Good Morning Masters Last night I did a tune up interval. 2 miles easy (8:40) 1 mile @ 5k (6:38) 800m easy (9:15) 4 x 400m@ 3k (6:20) 200m recoveries (9:20) 2 miles easy. (8:00) I felt great......woke up with lots of energy today which set me up for a great swim this morning. Opened up with 1500 yds follwed by 750 yds of drills for a total 2250 yds. Easy runs the rest of the week. Tim......I really wish I had an answer for you but I do admire your tenacity !
                        3 very easy recovery miles for me, again at 5:30 this morning. So far so good with being an early morning runner. Seeing if I can make this a habit. Then off to school to administer a before school exercise program for some of our 3rd graders. Tim- My only advice to you would be if you don't want opinions don't post what you did, otherwise listen to what others say, use the information how you see fit, then post about your 15 mile run tomorrow Tongue For those who have been asking, my Dad has come home from the hospital. He has a little weakness on his left side, but not much at all so he can still get himself around just fine. He still gets confused about things, but the neurologist thinks that he will make a full recovery. Thanks for anyone who has given nice thoughts to my Dad, it means a lot.

Marathon Maniac #3309

The Achilles thing is only making the heal spur worse because thats what is rubbing on it keeping it inflamed I would guess. It is pulling on the Plantar and rubbing the spur.
                          Actually Larry, that is exactly how he put it. Buuuuut, when this whole ordeal started, he told me the heel spur was absolutely nothing to worry about...and I bugged the heck out of him on this issue, believe me. He actually got irritated with me when I kept asking about my heel spur and pain, and he finally said "dude, enough already, the heel spur will NOT cause any pain and quit worrying about it" Now I hope you guys sorta feel my frustration right now, with the information I receive earlier. Steve, all things considered....it was a good run for a guy out of shape Cool Craneium, I won't be posting a 15 mile run tomorrow...I don't think Tongue But I do share things here because I consider everyone good / dear friends...even with the good, bad, and ugly. Heck, if it weren't for me listening to everyones advice here, I would have be running a long time ago...or maybe wouldn't have stopped at all. But admit I am a stubborn guy sometimes, but all I really want to do is get back to Marathon training and racing Seattle.....and the bonus of meeting some great RA folk. TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

lamerunner

Tim, Tim. You daredevil. I can understand your frustration... I have to save my lunacy for next week though, when my shot is scheduled. ( it is Friday the 13th) Give the anti inflammatories fresh material. This week I still have to behave. I am scheduled to ice climb this Friday though... then will probably try a short yak trak trail run while at my DD ski race on Saturday, if not too tired and sore.. Nothing yet for today. Had to go pick up a car form warranty work, get my DS to school and all that jazz. Hectic morning and no exercise. Evil elliptical on tap probably at lunch...
                            dg.

Craneium, that's such great news about your dad. Wish him well for me, would you? My alarm goes off at about 10 till 4,.. I stayed under the covers for a couple of minutes and told DH (he wakes up, poor guy) that I'd almost drifted off. He said something about how awful that would have been! .. then added that I reminded him of one of Garrison Keillor's Lutherans... born to misery. or something like that. hee. good morning Lutherans Wink. I had an ok run this morning, 5.38 miles at about a 9:30 pace. max 7:25. ahr 164, max 179. miles 10:13, 9:17, 9;16, 9:12, 9:10. Then 12 min. on the arc trainer, 1 set of upper body weights, & stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, russian twists, & SR hammie curls. lamerunner.. yay it's finally time for your shot!
                                "Good morning Lutherans."
                                And good morning to you. Dg. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong