Masters Running

Saturday March 29 Runs (Read 482 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! The weather forecast for my super-LR tomorrow morning is for thunderstorms and 40-ish. Drat! Running in cold rain for hours is NOT my idea of a good time. Still, you never know what the weather might be in Boston, so it’s good practice. With that forecast, I wonder how many of the 120 or so registered marathoners will show up. I’m pretty low to the ground, but out on those lonely country roads the lightning might find me a tempting target if there are no taller people around. Big grin I’ll probably wear my rain shell and then tie it around my waist if the rain stops. And you know what? I don’t care if that is a running faux pas. When you are running for 4-5 hours, you can’t dress to the finish – you have to dress for the duration. I might get lucky though, and the rain might hold off till later in the day. 4.5 easy-paced miles today in 27 degrees. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

With your magnetic personality and steel wit, you'd best take care.

SteveP

btb1490

Sounds like the race could be a shocking experience for you.
          And very enlightening
          Vista

Renee the dog

Ran 2 mi this morning in a little under 19 min...dog and I headed down the street towards the beach. A perfect half moon was high in the sky to our right. Two airplanes with sun glinting off them and peach trails behind them were streaking through the sky. We made it to the beach just as the sun was 1/3 up over the horizon. One cloud partially obscuring it...just beautiful! Said hi to some dog and human friends and hit the boardwalk for a brief bit before turning around. Stopped at 2 mi and walked home. It was cold. North wind, and race tomorrow is right along this route right into the wind the entire time. Planned what I'm wearing tomorrow. I got home, and everyone was up. Husband asked, "How was it?" I told him, "Everything hurt." He smiled and said, "So you're all set for tomorrow?" To which I replied, "Yup" with a smile. He knows me well. Good runs and races to all this weekend!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin 6miles later this morning
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Best of luck, Holly (you nut Tongue) Easy 5 miles this morning for me, steeling myself for my not so super long run tomorrow. It's harder for me to run when I know the family is in the house chatting -- PDR didn't run this morning because of her LR yesterday (so she could spend more time with DD1 and DD2) and I felt like I was missing something. Tomorrow is going to be that x 4. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:31/mi, AHR 146 Overall 5.1 miles, 43:28 Have a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

Welcome to the weekend! from yesterday... charleygross- that must've been tough dodging raindrops like that. perch- cool video. I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks! eliz- kid wrangling is good exercise. Did you carry a lasso and wear spurs? Thanks for the well wishes! Twocat- hope work is kind to you this weekend. Good luck on Sunday, don't let trying to beat that woman mess up your Boston plans, ok? from today... Holly- stick to the plan tomorrow, or I'm gonna come kick your butt! nonoruns- I too saw that moon, it was beautiful. Too bad it's so darn cold andn windy out there. Tomorrow the wind is supposed to die down for you. You'll do great. Good luck! 3.33 run/walk miles in cold blustery conditions. Good to be out there. Gonna try doing some yardwork today, even though it feels like February out there. Enjoy the day and the weekend everyone!
                    .......hey vista//..........I'm ordering you a LARGE Nacho's at Knoxville tonite......... ...........if you don't show up in 30-min ,,,,,,,I'll donate it to the Orphanage,,,,,, you know how orphans love nachos .....Fair Warning......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Boomers. It's beautiful here in Wisconsin - 29F with sun, blue skies and no wind. Did 11 miles this morning - my longest in quite a while - in 1:40:20. My time is coming down a little, but I'm more happy that I was able to run the entire route with only one short rest stop at my favorite Super America gas station. Maybe there's hope for me yet! Holly - don't running shoes act as grounding devices for lightening? Maybe to be on the safe side you should take an umbrella! Good luck and hope the weather holds for you. WRFB - I'm sure the girls had coffee and breakfast ready for you when you got back. They were probably just talking about what a great husband/father you are anyway, and you already knew that! Nonoruns - good luck tomorrow, and hope nothing hurts. Vista - my Badgers Sad They tanked on me! Who woulda thunk that Davidson would still be in this? I'm cheering for them - the little team of Davids in the world of Goliaths. btb - sounds like you're back! It's good to hear you're running again, even if it is for short distances. Better to take it easy and gradually get back into it, right? Good luck with your rehab. DH left for a golf vacation yesterday, so I'm thinking dinner out and a movie tonight sounds pretty good. Enjoy your Saturday, everyone. Jeanne
                        Holly - don't running shoes act as grounding devices for lightening? Maybe to be on the safe side you should take an umbrella!
                        Watch out Holly, next she'll be telling you to bring a golf club.
                        WRFB - I'm sure the girls had coffee and breakfast ready for you when you got back. They were probably just talking about what a great husband/father you are anyway, and you already knew that!
                        That's very sweet of you to say, but I don't think that's how it went down. Wink

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Way to go JLynne! Nice running and there is lots of hope for you. Partly sunny and cold here in Western, MA---ran with a buddy at 8:30 AM and covered 5.8 miles at a nice talking pace---whole deal in 51 minutes--22F and a little wind. We were up for hockey at 5 AM....one more game next week in this endless season. Thank goodness! The baseball fields are getting prepped and it's time to deep six all the hockey equipment. I am cheering for Davidson as well---and UConn on the women's side. Don't do anything shocking Holly. Wink CNYrunner
                            "Back away from the golf club."
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            spacityrunner

Holly: be careful with the lightening and have fun on your run. Tie that coat around your waist with pride!!! Sounds like many fun things happening in the beers household this weekend. BTB: So very glad you were able to lace up again. Comments on my shoe wear at work have died down. My foot seems to be getting a little better, but I am going to try and not run for 2 weeks. I will try and do other things besides running...but I don't know if I have the willpower to stay off the streets....especially if my foot feels good. But I.Will.Try. Rant On Why now? Well, this is as good as time as any to see if a break will be helpful. I am stopping the eod mobic, I will be doing 40 hours at work, 2 classes and working on my thesis so free time will be in short supply, and I have a VIP conference to attend from the 9-12 of April....so, it will be easier for me to say no to running when I am so very freaking busy I don't have time for anything else. Plus, my running clubs last meeting for the winter program was today (which I did not go to) and they don't start up again until May. I made this decision yesterday but have been thinking about it for some time now. Why do I resist resting? Well, I have done that already with this injury and it didn't seem to help much. Rest or not, it still hurt. So, as long as I could run, why not. But, now is as good as time as any to try something different. It will be hard, especially with the sun shining and the temps warming. But, I am hoping that this will be the very thing needed to get me over the hump. I am going to ditch the 2 piece sock the p/t gave me and go out and get one of those strassburgs and use that every night. The 2 piece one falls off while I am sleeping. Time to let the moths out of the wallet and get the fancy kind. I am going to continue with my swimming and try to add some biking. I will still wear my running shoes everywhere and I will not give up. Rant Off I hope to be back running in May and be able to stay running this time around. Enjoy the gift Good runs and good day to all

Trails Rock!

Holly - try not to sweat too much. Wink I woke up to snow this morning. Now it is predicted to be 36F at the start of the 5K (at 11:00). Ok, tights it is. Darn, and I went to all the trouble of shaving my legs yesterday too. Good runs everyone.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."