Masters Running

Whew, the Elections are over - Weds 11-05 Daily (Read 744 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

First, I am sorry...guess I was/am a little grumpy. But Karin is such a wonderful Dear Lady that I admire very much as a talented athlete and friend. Her encouraging words to me have been thoughtful and very much appreciated...she IS a class act whom I personally miss on the daily. ....nuff said!!! Oh yeah, good morning all Smile Well, guess I will heed Holly's nagging advise to go and get my foot checked out. When I got home last night my whole foot and back of my left leg all the way up to my knee is black and blue...kinda scared me when I seen this. Feels better today, but still need to be on the safe side, huh? But it is about time to hit my cycling trainer - swim - or go to the Y and strength train or something till I can run again. Good luck Jlynne with what ever endeavor you may choose...56 to old... brother Roll eyes At mile 16 when I had to stop during my Marathon, I was sitting there and noticed a woman who was probably in her 70's or close to 80. She was just cruising along and looked as cool as a cucumber..was a neat sight and she was only maybe 10 or 15 minutes behind me. Glad you had a nice 6 miler Mary...hope the Brinkster wasn't too disappointed Smile Happy Hump Day....hope you all have a greta day and runs...you all rock. Again sorry Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I saw a shooting star this morning!!! Big grin And to think, I almost did not get out of bed to run this morning!! Finally, dragged it out and what was suppose to be a 5 mile run turned into a very enjoyable 6 mile run. Just me .... Brinkley stayed home. I needed some "me" time to just run a slow 10:30 pace and enjoy the autumn air. I just scanned the end of yesterday's thread, but was happy to see lots of pros and cons of running -or not running - your first marathon. I agree - it has to be something you really want to do and you must be willing to commit to the time and energry it takes for the proper training. Jlynne - when I trained for mine it was something I really wanted to do - deep down and I was so excited to prepare for it. I just felt that it was the year to do it based on the miles I was putting in and how I felt doing them. Yes, some of those long runs were just grueling - especially the 20 miles in pouring rain - but looking back it doesn't seem all that bad. I didn't train for "speed" I only trained for the distance and completing it. I chose the Hal Higdon intermediate plan because that is what best suited my running style. Whatever you choose to do it has to come from within and you also need the support of your family. If it is on your bucket list - I think it is something for you to truly consider. Marathons are not for everyone - I never thought it'd be something I'd want to do that's for sure, but I'm sure glad I did. Okay - I was just going to hop on here for a minute and now I'm going to be late. Oh well..... Thanks for starting us off TimBo!! Now - back to our regularly scheduled programing ..... no more political commercials - yea!!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

4.5 miles this morning in record warm temps - 50F at 4:30. Almost feels like summer! Stayed up too late watching election coverage. I have to hand it to John McCain. He is a class act. I hope everyone was able to catch his speech. It would be cool if Obama could find a spot in his cabinet for him. Nice run this morning Mary - complete with shooting stars, no less! Thanks for all your input (and everyone else's) about running a marathon. I'm truly inspired by the miles and training that all of you do. Tim - you should get that leg checked! Should it still be bruised and achy at this point? You might have something else going on there - get in to see the doctor. No matter who you voted for yesterday, aren't you glad it's over?! No more political ads - well, at least for a couple of months, anyway! Enjoy your day, everyone.
          An update on DW's broken foot: A couple of weeks ago DW got her cast off and has been hobbling around. Her lower leg, from her knee down has been swelled up, discolored, and very tender. She went in for a followup yesterday, showed this to her Dr, and he immediately sent her directly to the Emergency Room. He was worried about a Blood Clot. So she went to the ER, they gave her 3 ultra-sounds and said everything looks normal - i.e. the blood is moving, etc. But I am worried. We did some Internet research and her symptoms sound exactly like Deep Vein Thrombosis (Dr-speak for Leg Blood Clots). And our little plane flight to Az. a week or so ago was a bad thing to do. It is a cause. I really want DW to get this all figured out and quickly ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh dear Bill - I'd be worried too. I hope that you get some answers soon. {{{{Bill and DW}}}

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The Jogger

Afternoon Gang Thanks for starting Timbo and get off your glute and get to the doc's. Nice run Mary, Jeanne I went to bed at 10:30 and got up again at 02:30 for an hour to check out what was happening but it was going to be another hour before California would be announced so I went back to bed and then listened to it at 06:00 on the radio news......it's addictive.... Bill hope your DW is okay. Anyway: 10m 01:45:18 @ 10:32 pace AHR 150 70% WHR Hilly Trail WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Good Runs All Roy
                Managed another zero miles day today! At least so far but I am pretty confident I can keep it up. Big grin Bill good luck with your wife's condition. It very well may be just due to hitting some random object and not noticing. But you are doing the right thing by getting it checked out since you never know until you know. We never had many presidential ads here in CT. Want to guess why? Smile The place is solidly blue now. My district had the last Republican congressman in all of New England! He (Chris Shays) lost rather decisively last night to a guy nobody ever heard of prior to the election. So to cut to the chase TV was and will remain pretty much the same around here! Good runs all today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Bill, that can be very serious. I'm glad that you on on top of this. Twocat, glad that you are getting some needed rest...good job on not getting injured in NYC! No running today, I'm running every other day right now just to maintain a good base. I decided to pass on the Thunder Road marathon next month...no races coming up until Boston in April.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Managed another zero miles day today! At least so far but I am pretty confident I can keep it up. Big grin
                    Same here...I wonder who can hold out the longest Roll eyes Bill, my thoughts and Prayers are with you and your DW, ok buddie!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Top 'O the World!

Afternoon?!? I'm still drinking coffee! Tongue stayed up late late watching the election coverage.....& then have four-legged alarm clocks who are determined that this household - all of it - be out of bed by 6am!...well, really it's usually 5 am, but I got up, walked around the bed & got back in the other side, so they let me have one more hour Wink whatever works for their logic......ankle feels like I'd be best to kick back or XT at something today....it's been doing amazingly well so far! let's keep it that way!......On the marathon thing...I know that I tend to be terribly 'tounge-in-cheek' about stuff...& that it often isn't taken that way in print Roll eyes but truly, I think it really is a personal choice & a" big deal" to a lot of people - not just whether or not to make the descision, but the whole physical & mental training committment, particularly for 1st timers....or maybe even for someone seriously working to improve their time/experience.....oh hell! I'm probably being mental right now (which is nothing new! especially being sleep depraved as I am..) but for me, being still I consider, an untalented novice, it was for me a challenge to push myself. To challenge my own perseverance & endurance to the point of being able to finish something I'm not sure at all that I'm particularly built for. And I did it. Not to my satisfaction. But I did it. Part of the time I'm proud of what I've accomplished (built the damned fence- mostly by myself... ) & part of the time I'm pissed that I didn't do as good a job as I'd intended (despite that it's not my fault particularly, I have crooked spots). I've been told before, ref other endevours I've undertaken, that I'm a bit "touched" ...I guess maybe that's a given....I certainly don't expect everyone/anyone else to do it just because I did........ I'm babbling now so, I'll go back to drinking my coffee & reading the news rpts on how some of our ballot initiatives went.... Happy Hump Day! Cindy
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        T and I were just going to run an easy 6 this morning,but I was feeling bored about half-way through...so we threw in 6 pole to pole intervals to shake it up a bit...finished up at an 8:04 pace...fastest interval was at a 5:00 pace Shocked Bill-I hope your DW is okay...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Same here...I wonder who can hold out the longest Roll eyes
                          Managed another zero miles day today! At least so far but I am pretty confident I can keep it up. Big grin
                          Hey, I want in on this's somethin' I can do too. I won't even count my 11 day head start from the Pumpkin Push to say nothing of 284 terrific taper days so far for the year. Is it still three weeks from the NYC, i.e. no running until 11/23? Let the games begin!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

DickyG

Thomas Walsh of Hempstead, NY, pleaded not guilty to trespassing and other charges last Tuesday and was ordered held in lieu of $6,000 bail. Walsh, whose brother was being jailed as a murder suspect, refused to listen to jail guards who told him there were no visiting hours for prisoners on Monday. His lawyer stated that Walsh was going through a lot of emotional turmoil at the time. Man...I've heard of breaking OUT of prison, but never breaking IN! Tet: What a fabulous pic of the 1983 Smith-Dixon duel! I was in that race...and I was a close third...OK, I was fifth...OK, I was about an hour & 15 minutes behind...but I was there. When I lived in NYC, was a member of the NYRR club. Unfortunately, never met Fred Lebow in person but he was sort of a legend, running the club...and the marathon...out of his small apartment. Erika: Would certainly love to read your RR, but if you choose not to do one, a huge "congrats" to another sub-4 marathon...not to mention the great time you had hooking up with the other list members...OK, maybe not Maine, but Amy, Twocat, Hally, spouses, & friends. Teresa: 10 miles? Wow...that's great. My take on running marathons: I've run lots of them, although I doubt I'll feel like doing another. My theory has always been to just do your normal weekly mileage...for me it's always been 20-25/week, even for marathons. I always had the desire to run them, but never the desire to train properly. Consequently, I never did that good. Even 40 years ago when I was a pretty decent runner, I could never break 3 hours and in later years, I couldn't break 3:30...as you might imagine, I'd tank during the last 6-8 miles. BUT..and this is a good thing...because I've never trained hard, I've never been injured (which is more than I can say about injuries I've sustained in softball, basketball, & tennis). That's why I follow closely the training of our better runners...Maine, Amy, Erika, Tim, Perch, etc. I'm always in awe of their concentrated workouts, but I wince every time an injury is reported. Twocat mentioned Jeff Galloway...what a businessman! That guy won the first Peachtree in 1970 and parlayed that one win into a career. I'll run later and post again. Can you believe that the congressional race in our district still hasn't been decided yet? DickyG
                            Mariposai

Just a quickie here to report a 6 miles last night with 8 three minute surges around the neigborhood. I have my eyes on an 8 miler this afternoon in the sun. Butterfly hugs to all who are resting.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

xor

Jeff Galloway...what a businessman! That guy won the first Peachtree in 1970 and parlayed that one win into a career.
                                In fairness, he also represented the USA at Munich in the 72 Olympics. I think he got a bit more mileage with regular non-running folk out of that than "I won Peachtree". And non-running folks who would like to dip their toes in running is the foundation of his business.