Masters Running

3.24.13 Sunny (?) Sunday Daily (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It's too early to tell if it is going to be a sunny day, but one can hope.

No workout yet, but I'm getting ready to head to the indoor track to get in a few miles before this morning's racewalking training session. I thought my hip was OK after yesterday's workout, but it was achy for the rest of the day, and into the night. So I'll take it easy this morning and see what happens. If it's still squishy, I'll spend more time coaching than walking today.

I hope you all have a greta Sunday, with clean carpets all around!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

The sun hasn't been spotted in mid-Michigan in quite some time.  I think I read somewhere that this area is pretty close t having the fewest sunny days in the country.

I started the day with an easy 6.7 miles.

When the sun does shine in mid Michigan it is usually just before it sets!

Running has'nt been going to good lately but was able to get in an easy 5.2 this a.m.

Run Happy!

Mariposai

Greetings from sunny Okanogan where the sun shines almost all year around  Cool.

No running here yet, just taking the morning easy and then I will prepare a nice brunch for the family. My DS#1 is coming home for a few days, so posie mama y busy this morning creating a menu fit for a prince!

I am still beaming about my DS#2's 15 miler yesterday. He is training for a marathon to celebrate his 21 b-day in May and he is training with a friend. Their average pace was 7:45 for a not flat route. I can't wait to see what their time is for their first half marathon in a few weeks.

Butterfly hugs to all my girlfriends here. Keep inspiring me, ladies! Each one of you are awesome!

Ohh and Ave of the Giant in 2014 sounds like a great place for a meet up. This marathon is in my bucket list! If known ahead of time, I can make it fit with the family plans. Will it be the spring or the fall version of the Ave?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

I have a feeling that, wherever you're at, Posie...the sun is shining.

King of PhotoShop

Yes on that Mariposai lighting up the world.  Good work on your son's progress.

Today's 20-miler should have been a walk in the park, but I struggled after 17 miles.  We have a cold (okay, 41 degrees) day and wicked wind.  Maybe yesterday's 8 miler took some energy out of me, but the run sure was tough.

But it's done, and it's the last big workout before Boston, 22 days from today.  Spareribs

CNYrunner happy boot off the foot week!  Funny how injuries go.  You are celebrating being bootless and on about the same day a good friend of mine is celebrating getting out of his cast and into a boot for 6 weeks!  It is all just a matter of where you are coming from.

Yesterday's thread was funny. It starts out with a where is everybody and I figured it would be another low posting day around here.  Then it just took off!  I should put up a couple of shout outs but I am bushed.  Today was my last race prior to Boston.  It is a local 30K called the Boston Blowout.  If my Garmin is right I managed to pull in with just under an 8 minutes mile pace.  I just wish I had not blown up about half way through.  Then again, I should just be happy I finished in under 8 considering my only runs close to this distance were an 18 miler two weeks ago and last week's really slow 22 miler in the rain, snow, sleet and rain while I was in Dublin.

Now off to buy a new sprayer for the deer spray I need to lay down if my tulips are to survive.  My existing spay can has, alas, given up the ghost.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

opie, great racing, including 3rd in AG.  Twocat good job on your speedy 30K.

Nice long runs for Mike, mari, mari's son, and ribs.

This morning, it was in the low 20s and almost calm.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:17 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

coastwalker

Hey Ribs, I though I was the only one who walks in the park! Sorry your run was so challenging this morning, but good on you for getting it done anyway.

It's good to see that your DS's training is coming along nicely, Mariposai. He had a great pace yesterday for a 'trainee!"

Nice job for a training race, Twocat! Can I borrow your sprayer for our hostas? We've yet to find a way to have them all last through the summer with deer always around looking for a treat.

Nice pacing this morning, TomS.

How'd it go today, Stumpy?

I got in 3 easy miles on the indoor track before the other racewalkers arrived, and another 3 during the laddders we did today. The second 3 weren't so easy, but so far, my hip isn't screaming about the work.

On the way home, I drove the coast road, and passed a lot of the runners in the Eastern States 20-miler. They had a gorgeous day for a race!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Nice and sunny here too, but cold! It's below zero again. *sigh* Yesterday was what someone at the grocery store called "deceptively sunny" and I know what they meant. It looked so nice and warm, and the sun coming into the car windows felt so warm, but step outside and brrrrr! It was 4° and windy! Gotta love March. Came in like a kitten and growing into a real lion as we go!

Nice running for your DS, Mariposai! What is his first marathon?

Hey Ribs, isnt' it the law of those difficult long runs that means the next hard effort will be better? Wow, Boston is 22 days away? I wonder if we'll still have snow... (hint: yes we will here).

After errands and overdue house cleaning, I ran 7.3 on the treadmill with 4 x 1200 (.75 mile) at 8:00 pace to mix things up a bit. I won't have time for a long run today, but just 7 miles will get me to 41 for the week, my new goal average weekly mileage to hit 2,000 by year end. My MIL is taking us to a production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" this afternoon.

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a feeling that, wherever you're at, Posie...the sun is shining.

I agree!  And DS2 is fast!

Mike – I know what you mean about the sometimes resentment from spouses about our running. I expect many of us here deal with it, at least occasionally.  I used to get up early on the weekends, so my run would be done reasonably early, but lately have been sleeping in and starting later, so DH feels like it interferes with our plans more.  As the weather warms, I will try to get up earlier again.

CNYrunner – I agree with Nancy that it is no surprise that you were once a competitive swimmer.  You really are an amazing and well-rounded athlete. No surprise that your DS is following in your footsteps in that.

Ribs – I have never had a 20-miler that was a walk in the park, but I’ve heard about them.

Opie – nice racing for both you and Paul yesterday!

Our little Cairn terrier, Daisy, was making such a ruckus early yesterday morning, having cornered something under the shed, that I had to go out with some food scraps to lure her out and drag her inside before she woke the neighborhood.  Last evening after I let her out for the last time, she wouldn’t come in, and I had to send DS down with a flashlight.  He found she had caught and killed a rabbit, which may have been the occupant of the hole she had found under the shed.  The rabbit was almost as big as her.   She’s such a big wimp when it comes to other dogs, but quite a Mighty Huntress in the backyard.  I sent DS down with a garbage bag to get it before she ate it.  Ewww.

20 miles for me today in 30-32 degrees and 15-25mph winds.   I chose the upwind route out, and then had the wind at my back for the trip home.   Quite a pleasant run, actually, with my latest audio book to keep me company (Outlander), and an average pace around 10:20.  A good story to listen to can really make a long run go better.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Opie, nice racing!

I thought the PNW had the least sun?

I did 9 miles, cheers for me, longest run in probably over a year.  4.5 miles to the Mercer Island Community Center to watch 5K,10K and half marathoners finish.  Was going to wait around to see if Tet was there, cause I have something for him - but I started to get hypothermic and hypoglycemic so I ran home after about 45 minutes.  Lead man, 1:08 (I saw him a few years ago run this in 1:05 or 1:06).  Lead woman around 1:20.  Inspiring.  Bought last year's tech shirt for $2.  Cool.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks!  It's sunny here today but cool.  I was a little stiff this morning but mostly just tired today.  I took a killer nap.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Quick post before I crash for awhile - 22 miles on the Boston course in 3:39:54 -- had a great day despite one of our runners getting lost!!  He had a running  buddy but told him to go on ahead then couldnt find his way back to the start - which was the actual finish line!!  We did an 11 mile out from the finish along the course and back - tough workout hitting the hills in both directions!!!  Was not fun waiting around and looking for him before we could go to brunch, but we found him then ate joyfully!!

Have a wonderful week my friends!!  Cool

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Had a satisfying, but a little slow, half today.  2:12:10 by Garming--offiical not posted yet.  A perfect day for running--high 30's at the start and low 40's at the end.  I was hoping for 2:10 or better, but was treating it as a long run.  Managed to run up the two big hills on the course, but had to walk a couple of short bits at theend when everything got sort of tight.  I did spend a little time in the last couple of mile asking myself " So I'm going to be able to do this twice in one day in three months?"

Nice fast three, Tom.  sounds like you were eager to get out of the cold.

eta:  Denise, you posted while I took a dinner break.  excellent 22.  You would seem to be in great shape to rock Boston.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.