Masters Running

Hey! It's Saturday! 9-05-15 (Read 36 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hold on...I'll be right back...

...okay, I'm back.  I just wanted to hold the spot so somebody else didn't come along and start another daily while I was still trying to start the daily...so...lets get started...unless somebody else is still typing while trying to start the daily, then I guess we'll just have to decide who's daily to pick as the official daily.  Oh brother...it's no wonder why I rarely start the daily.

Anyway...I just got back from breakfast with the cc kids...after just getting done with running with the cc kids...after a night of jumping out of bed and walking off cramps.  It was a tough night.  But running with the cc kids always seems to make everything all better.  These are such nice kids...let me give you an example...

The kids take turns hosting a breakfast after our Saturday morning runs.  On a nice morning, like this morning, tables are set up outside.  By the time I went through the line, all the seats at the tables were taken, so I went to the fence and put my plate on the top rail and ate there.  The women assistant coaches joined me.  By the time the male assistant coach (my buddy) went through the line, a couple of spots had opened up at a table and he took one.  Thinking it would be rude to leave the women to go join him, I stayed where I was at.  But as soon as there were enough seats available, the women took off and grabbed them...leaving me by myself.  (Oh, if I had a nickle for all the times women left me by myself...)  Anyway...I was content with just standing there looking out over all the kids enjoying themselves.  I was just thinking about how cool it was to be a part of this special group.  All of a sudden, one of the girls, who I had run with during practice, seeing that I was alone, left her little group and joined me at the fence.  I just thought that was really cool for her to do that.  We had a nice little chat.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love those kids?

Hey!  Good luck to everybody racing this weekend!

Okay--that's all for now.  See ya!

evanflein

Thanks, Mike! I checked earlier and I was not about to start the Saturday thread from this far West! I'll be back later, too....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So Mike, tell us how you really feel about those obnoxious CC kids.   Glad you enjoyed yourself. But it appears that you've traded cramps for a sore back?

7.25 Maine miles for me. Cooler and drier made for a good run.  Off to loon island for the rest of the weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hello everybody!  Hold on...I'll be right back...

...okay, I'm back.  I just wanted to hold the spot so somebody else didn't come along and start another daily while I was still trying to start the daily...so...lets get started...unless somebody else is still typing while trying to start the daily, then I guess we'll just have to decide who's daily to pick as the official daily.  Oh brother...it's no wonder why I rarely start the daily.

Mike

Good job on starting the daily before it got started.

Also with the running kids in your life.
          Mine are from Mighty Mite ski racing and having many of ‘em as friends in their adult lives too.  The only comments I get from kids on my running now are along the lines of “Mommy/mommy, I beat papo again,” or, my favorite, “here’s what papo looks like when he runs,”
          Good job leslie on Zimbabwe.

I know the feeling but only half as much as I just got the okay to go across the other ocean the other myself next week.  I'm on my own through so should be able to do some running with the Joyfuls before meeting them back over here for the Portland Marathon on 10/4.

However, with DH knowing how much you love running and haven’t been able to do much in recent months, maybe check with a running store there for any local events.  Please also ask about what Z’s Paula Newby-Frazer is doing nowadays.  She won eight Ironman World Championships in the 1990's before switching to ultra-marathon fame. I bet deezie and I’d like a PN-F singlet or something if you have any baggage allowance.
          However, enjoy your mileages while you can.

After I got a super-discount fare of $682 for the Seattle-to-Japan round trip this winter instead of the typical, at-least $1,500, they seemed to take perverse pleasure in the in-flight announcement that “our new, improved mileage program now rewards our traveling guests based on ticket price instead of miles,” . . . so I go to 682 points instead of nearly 11,000.  oh well.  I bet you’d get 20,000 or more to Zimbabwe.  Take good book, or be prepared to look at a small screen for 20 hours.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice long runs for Holly and Mike.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, it was almost calm, and it was humid.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Clear and cool here too. Ran 6 sproinky miles on Heartbreak a Hill. I was joined off and on by Marj who ran the same route more or less. Many other runners out to enjoy this beautiful day- 90's expected for Labor Day. Another sign of early fall was the traffic pattern changes for the first Boston College football game this afternoon.

Mike, glad you're seeing a doctor this coming week. Those kids would miss you if you're out of commission.

..Spronky's Good henry.........

kinda sore from my 2-a-day PT exercises

3-sets of 20-reps each

http://www.allinahealth.org/Health-Conditions-and-Treatments/Health-library/Patient-education/Total-Hip-Replacement/After-surgery/Home-exercise-program/

just using some muscles I had forgotten were there

============

did 3x10-min walks,

actually went extra distance and it was STILL 10-min

then

it dawned on me>>>>>>>>I'm getting FASTER

not usually my first guess

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

then

it dawned on me>>>>>>>>I'm getting FASTER

not usually my first guess

...........................good running guys

Love this!

Mike - very cool!

Tet - my SIL flew to China and back last year, first class, and I forgot the exact price but I know it shocked me (her boss paid for it).

6 recovery paced miles for me this morning in 75 degrees

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

fatozzig Zimbabwe!  Very exciting!  I am sure you will have a great time!

I jogged today in the local 10 mile race.  Just jogged it.  I felt all right.  But a few hours later DW and I took a walk to the beach and my abdomen was complaining again.  She also said a friend of hers saw me running today and told my DW that I was favoring one of my legs.  Okay, that is it.  Time to admit that fixing whatever it is means doing nothing for four to six weeks.  I am going to get myself through the relay and then go full couch potato for at least four weeks.  That means I am probably going to have to give up on the idea of running a marathon this fall.    Such is life when you suffer from O.L.D.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Cool that you are getting faster TW!

Mike - that girl is a winner in my book - being empathetic to your situation alone at the fence.

I went to the club run today, because it was at a trail system I've never run at.  I went early because I was hoping to get in 5 miles before the club run.  Well, apparently, even though I arrived, I think, about an hour before the group to log extra miles, I only got 3.75 in!  That's trails for ya!  (lots of roots!)  Plus I had to stop at all the intersections and read the trail signs so that I wouldn't get lost.

So 3.75 miles on my own and then 4.25 with the club.  It was great because I ran and chatted with a woman that is just slightly faster than me - so the first 3 miles of that 4.25 were pretty peppy - then I had to let her go ahead.

8 gnarly miles!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MIkeE and 2Kitty - I don't know what's been going on with you guys physically, but I hope you're able to figure it out.  Since I seem to be the Queen of Injuries the last few years, I feel your irritation.

Tet - I emailed a local running club in Z a few weeks ago, but I need to get back in touch with them.  If I remember correctly, they have a group run on Friday evenings.  The couple we are going to visit, he runs quite a bit, so I know I'll be able to go out with him.  He's also a lot faster and a lot taller, so at my current snail pace due to inactivity, I'm guessing he won't be getting a whole lot of cardio in running with me.

Shorty and I have rarely ever fought about money.  Geez, nowadays, we rarely fight at all - but I digress.  He and I have always been of the mind that it's "our" money, even when I made more than he did.  That's not to say money can be a tough subject to talk about, because it is and I don't know why.  I say that the money I make on the side is for my running fund, but in reality, it pays for a lot of extras when we come up short.  So even though it seems like I should have a nice little stash, it manages to go away to property taxes, income taxes, food, etc., etc.

So getting back into this running things - ugh!  But I did my 5 miles this a.m., which gives me a whopping 14 for the week.  One of the side affects of all the stress I've been under is a pretty decent case of hives.  (I also thing a change in laundry detergent added to the problem.)  I'm hoping that by getting back into the exercise thing, it'll help the hives go away.  I've been taking Benedryl and using a cortisone cream, but seriously, as far the cortisone cream goes, I need to be hosed down with it from top to bottom.

Okay - Off to do some transcription.  I'm also caught up.  Yay!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Sweet story; thanks for that, Mike.

Leslie, Aveeno makes a bath product that helps, along with the Benadryl and cortisone cream...... I am a fellow sufferer.

Feeling a little stuck in a rut; 22:24 5K today, a second slower than the last one.

Got a 1.5 lbs of Hatch peppers to grill, twocat......thinking of you and wishing you healing vibes.

and now I have me some boys that are raising a ruckus in the next room and I want to be there (who knew mlbTV  went on sale in September?)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

(raising hand quickly) I'll take that rut you're stuck in, Aamos!  Speedy.

Zimbabwe sounds like an amazing adventure!

A leisurely in-town hike with Lil' Econo today, including a run portion to maintain my streak (25).

AamosY enjoy your pepper haul! What are you going to make with them?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

(raising hand quickly) I'll take that rut you're stuck in, Aamos!  Speedy.

+1

Aamos - Thanks for the info re the Aveeno.  I've been taking Benedryl and using the cortisone cream.  If I could, I'd bathe in the stuff.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance