Masters Running

12.26.15 (Saturday) The Day After (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, I hope you aren't getting too much of a bilge pump workout, and I'm glad Claire is having fun being a cowgirl.

Great grandson pics, TSelbes, and a nice run for you yesterday too.

Spacityrunner, I guess one of the advantages of being in a warmer clime is being able to kayak on Christmas - good for you for taking advantage of that op. I'm also glad the predicted rains didn't stay Santa from his rounds.

Sound like a great trip to Newport, Henrun; good runs, walks and eats!

Good run/walk, Enke. I'm glad the new job, even with longer hours, is going well. I'm also glad you had some time with Mr. BE.

Good sentiments, and good run, Aamos. I'm very glad you are part of this RA family too.

Good 10 with Ryan and 17 of 19 Mike! Sounds like fun all around.

I'm glad you are so enjoying having you kids around too, Mariposai. Good way to sneak in your 6-miler.

Tet, the first leg of our trip (NH to NJ) took about 10 hours, including the 1-hour stop in Brooklyn. Leg #2 (NJ to Long Island) was a breeze and only took about an hour and 3/4. Today's return to NH, if we're lucky, will only take about 5 hours. We're not quite at the 6 sec/mile pace that you enjoyed at 37,000 ft.

Sounds like you spent yesterday right, Holly.

We also spent most of yesterday cooking and eating, so I was glad to have gotten my workout in early. We went for a short mid-afternoon walk, which was nice in this absurd still-mild weather. I had my annual martini last night, followed by a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. I did wake up a the usual time this morning, but chose to roll over and resume sleeping. A wise choice, if I say so myself.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

I am so happy to hear that Enkie's new job is going well.

MikeE, 19 grandkids, how blessed you are!.

Holly,  what was the highlight of your DD's Christmas gift?.

Erika, our snow queen...how do you run at a decent pace in the snow?  It seems like I am running at an 11'pace no matter how hard I am trying.

Speaking of snow...Off to the slopes we go for down hill skiing as a family.  We are looking forward for some good powder fun. No running today for my wings.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Here's to sleeping in today, and playing in the snow, and whatever else everyone does on this last Saturday of the year.

15 for me this am (and 10 for DH), mostly in around Lakes Park, where there is shade and where the bubbler water is nice and cold.

We we set a record high yesterday: 87.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...howdy...........well, the rain has stopped, and no Bilge Pump work-out in my future

=========

still 70s here and the sun came out

..40-min PoolRun, nb,cf, ris

and

30-min HH walk,,,,,,,,,,too good to skip

hits 20s at night next week, and MORE rain predicted

................good running and Safe Driving to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike, neat you got to see so many of your grandkids for Christmas.  mari, it's nice your son's were both home.

Nice long runs for Mike and Aamos (and DH).

This morning, we came back home.  After a couple of fun days with grandsons, kids, and kid's inlaws it was nice to be back in our quiet, boring, home.  We really enjoy being with all the people we saw, young kids, young adults, and others our age, but it sure is tiring.

When we got home, it was in the mid 30s with some wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:01 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi!  I am relearning how to post on Running Ahead, I'm an old dog learning old tricks.  Speaking of old dogs... you all might remember Veta Louise Simmons my rescue mini-schnauzer? Well, she's still here but unable to walk the swamp like we used to. If we go for a walk of any significant distance, she ends up throwing up for a day or so. I think it's a vestibular problem. She is 16 years old now.

A couple years ago, I thought Veta might need a service dog because her eyesight seemed to be diminishing. So we went to the Henrico County Humane Society shelter stand at Petco in Short Pump and test drove a few dogs. We brought home a hound mix, we think he is bird dog and big beagle and pointer and black lab and... you get the idea.  We let DS name him.

Today "King Leonidas" and I went for a 4+ miles walk on the Cap to Cap trail. The rocket scientist and lilmissrosie (now a married woman and masters prepared mechanical engineer) went for a 7 miles run along the same route. It is dreary here in the swamp. I hope we get some snow this winter but, today I wore shorts.

Aamos (I forget how to "highlight" people's names):  Thank you for inviting us to move to Florida.  The r.s. is still working for NASA. He is thinking about looking for a teaching gig at a small university in a few years. He has about 33 years with NASA so we benefit if he stays there until he retires. Let us know if there is a college down there!

Mariposai Nice to read your cheerful posts again.

HollyS Seems like things are going well in SW Ohio! Is DS in college already?  Oh my. Where does he go? I remember when you were coaching the kids soccer teams.  Holy mackeral.

Coastwalker, Stumpy, StarrRuns, tomwhite, tselbs, wildchild, henry and marj  and everyone who welcomed me back, Thank You!  I forgot how wonderful this group was. Thankfully Spa City Runner reminded me of this place when we visited her last weekend.

Aamos you asked about the kids. I mentioned lilmissrosie above. DS1 and DS2 are doing well. They still need to find their calling. DS1 got a BA in economics from Virginia Tech in Dec. 2010. He did not have a passion for the field and ended up working golf course maintenance for a couple years. He asked me what he should do. He had done well on the LSAT but didn't seem passionate about law either.  Now it is December, 2015. He went back to Blacksburg Fall, 2013. And now he has one semester left, one 4 credit hour class to go and he will have a BS in chemical engineering in May, 2016.

If anyone has any suggestions for companies to which DS1 should apply, please let me know! He is applying to many jobs but, your advice is welcomed.

DS2 graduated from Virginia Tech with a BS in Biology in May, 2015.  He began working at the golf course in June. I don't know why my sons do not know what to do after graduating from college?  Anyway, he is now teaching pre-school. He is only part time and he is assistant teacher. But. He is very good and patient and the kids love having a teacher who is 6 feet 5 inches tall and likes to play ball with them on the playground. Who knows where this will lead DS2. He has also considered teaching high school biology but this would require more education. I think making $10/hour working part time at pre-school will not be enough to allow him to move out any time soon!

Thanks for allowing me to share all of this.  I look forward to being back here regularly.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Here's to sleeping in today, and playing in the snow, and whatever else everyone does on this last Saturday of the year.

Absolutely!

Mariposai - DD's big gift from us was an IPad Mini.  DS got bookshelf speakers and a stereo receiver for his phonograph player.  Other small gifts for filler, but that was most of the Christmas budget.  DD had a lot of fun with her new Selfie Stick.  Who knew $5 could bring a girl so much pleasure?  And also the Lava Lamp, which she sort of made fun of when she opened it, but fell in love with later as we watched it light up the kitchen island for the rest of the day.

13 miles for me this morning in a breezy 45-ish degrees before the rains came.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Rosybarb!  Good to read your post and hear all the news!

i trotted (so very slow!) 9 whole miles this morning, which is my normal weekly mileage these days.  Very happy with myself and I loved the nice shoreline view (am in Tacoma WA) the whole way.  Mt Rainier was out & looking gorgeous.  Life is good!

Marathon Maniac #957

Rose - you were posting when I was typing, so I missed it at first, but I love that you are back, and thank you for catching us up.

Econo - great to see you as well!

TomWhite - that's pretty cold for where you are, isn't it?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

10 miles for me today...not as much fun without Ryan...but it was nice and pretty.  We got about 3" of snow, overnight, and everything is white and fluffy.

Okay--that's all I got.  It is nice to see buehrle posting again!  See ya!

tetsujin209 your post about the dateline reminded me that I forgot to have some fun with it by starting the daily the day of my day. Which, of course, is the day before the daily! Happy flying!

enekphalin happy to hear you and Blue Eyes are still seeing each other!

spacityrunner I think Rudolph can pretty much guarantee Santa shows up in any weather. At least that is what it says on the (never wrong) internet.

tomwhite bilge pump or pool run workout, which to pick, which to pick . . . bilge pump! Amazingly, you have found the one alternative that makes bilge pump sound really attractive!

coastwalker annual martini!? I always knew you were a heavy drinker but . . .

Mariposai from what I hear of the snow out west the skiing should be near epic!

buehrle what is amazing is how poorly RA still functions when you are trying to post with a cell phone. Although I have to admit it is way, way better than it was a few months ago.

I did another round on the elliptical today. The Achilles does not hurt, but that is par for the course absent going on a run. At some point, I have to test it out again. I am just not sure how soon to try it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Merry Day After Christmas ~  It was very quiet around here, but we did get some good movie-watching in.  Needed to free up some space on the DVR!

And it sounds like everyone else survived/had a good day.  Leave it to Tet to drag  50-lb suitcase for 4 or 5 miles. 

Holly - You guys end up regretting that selfie stick. 

Hoping Ribs and family are safe from all the tornado action in the Dallas area.

Had 16.5 mile LR this morning with a woman I never met before.  When I got home, The Hub had a pot of ham and potato soup on the stove.  I was starving and it was wonderful (a good way to use the leftovers).  It was cold here this morning, and never warmed up that much the entire run.

Regarding the run - - -

So on FB I belong to the Humboldt Women Runners group.  Earlier in the week, I posted that I had a 16-mile trail run planned for today and asked if anybody wanted to join me.  I made sure I put how long I anticipated it would take me, and that climbing would be involved.  A woman named Heidi, who I'd never met before, said she wanted to run with me - Great!  We agree on a time to meet, all is well.

So I show up at 8:30 at the appointed spot.  I have my hydration vest on with a bladder of fluids and various food stuffs to try 'cause I don't want to bonk like I did last week - ready to go.  She gets out of her car . . . and doesn't even have a water bottle.  Hmmm . . . 16 miles, 4 hrs minimum - not even any water?

As we get going and start talking, I soon realize she has never done any trail running and has no idea what lay ahead of her.  So trying not to offend her - since I don't know this woman - I tell her I think we should change up the plans a bit seeing as how I think what I had planned might be too much for her today and we'll do most of our running on the fairly benign main logging road.

So we're running along and it comes time for me start getting some calories in me, and thankfully I had brought extra, so I gave her one of my turkey and cheese rollups, ended up sharing one of my nutrition bars with her, and throwing caution to the wind as to whether either one of us was sick, we both drank out of hose on my hydration bladder during the run.  We both could've taken in more calories, but she seemed reluctant to take what I had, so we both ended up running in a calorie deficit together.

Anyway - I guess long story longer, I took her on a 2-mile climb instead of like 5 or 6 miles of climbing, we slip-slided in mud and puddles, and she seemed to have a good time and said she would like to get into trail running.  I told her I'd love to have her run with me more - on a couple of conditions: she had to have some type of hydration set up, and she would need to bring food stuffs with her.  I think the 2 miles of climbing showed her that trail running is a bit of a different animal than road running and she needed to be better prepared, so we'll see.  She seemed positive about it, was smiling at the end - maybe out of pain, maybe out of fun or a comb of both (but at least she wasn't openly cursing me) - and I enjoyed her company, so we'll see!  I'm sure she's going to be pretty sore by tomorrow, and if that doesn't deter her, I may have found a new running partner. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, glad you found a friend to run with!  You were very patient with her - nice to share your food and water.

I thought of Tet when I was running on the beach barefoot yesterday!

Today, we drove to Tulum, for the next part of our trip.  We're staying at a cool round house in the jungle.  I went for a short run on the dirt roads in this development, which is largely undeveloped - just the roads are in.  I talked to the property manager when we arrived, and asked if it was okay to run here, and she said sure, but it's pretty far to the end of the development.  Well, turns out it was 1.8 miles...  some people's idea of what's pretty far is different from mine!   She said there are lots of spider monkeys here, but I didn't see any yet.  But we did see 3 spider monkeys on a hike at a botanical garden earlier today.

Tomorrow we're taking a Mexican Cooking class in town!  Looking forward to it.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Belated Merry Christmas my friends -- it's been a whirlwind kind of week!!

Thursday morning I went out for an easy run with some friends followed by potluck breakfast and mimosas. Had a lovely morning, then dh gets home around noon-ish to tell us he was laid off!! We were anticipating this job ending soon, but Christmas Eve - REALLY!! That's how the construction unions are tho - now we wait and see how long it takes before he is called to the next job.

Christmas Eve 4pm mass was also lovely with the children's pageant, but ended with a friend asking me to get outside and help with an elderly woman who was struck by a car. She left mass a little early but after her family had left and she apparently walked into the street without really paying attention. The man who hit her was obviously very shaken up as well. The update today is no charges filed against the man and the woman had non-life threatening facial injuries and 2 broken bones.

Aside from all that - Christmas Eve itself was wonderful!! My mom had every one of her grandchildren together for the first time in years - think it really was our best evening ever!!  Worked yesterday and today and ate way too much - did get in a nice 4.5 mile run before work this morning, but don't think it makes a dent in the caloric intake!!

RCG - so nice to see you here again!

Holly - sounds like a nice Christmas at your house

My fellow New Englanders - hope you are all enjoying these balmy temps as much as I am! Unfortunately it sounds like that will all end soon!

Leslie - I hope she runs with you again and becomes a regular running partner for you!!

Wildchild - Mexican cooking class sounds yummy!!

I MUST STOP THE SUGAR INTAKE!!

denise

Mariposai

A day late, but the Easy Pacer and I hope each one of you had a blessed day, even when you do not celebrate this day by religious belief, but for cultural imposition, you still had a day off to celebrate life as you so please.

Skiing was awesome! We all learned to ski on our local slope. The boys were so gracious to wait up for me... I am the timid skier among us all. We had a wonderful time.

Blessed Holiday to all!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard