Masters Running

coastwalker, others: Olympics ??? (Read 306 times)

I noted on the schedule that tomorrow at 9 pm there's a men's 20k walk. Anyone know anything about that? The men's marathon is the 23rd; when's the women's? Thanks, A
    Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

coastwalker

Hi Aamos, These are East Coast broadcast times (check http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings for your local listings): • Men's 20M racewalk - Saturday, Aug. 16 at 2:00am • Women's marathon - Saturday, Aug. 16 at 7:30pm (repeat Sunday, Aug. 16 at 2:00am) • Women's 20K racewalk - Thursday, Aug. 21 at 12:00am Go Joanne Dow! • Men's marathon - Saturday, Aug. 23 at 7:30pm I guess we (racewalkers) don't rate prime-time coverage, but at least we're getting some airtime. Sleep? We don't need no stinkin' sleep! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Just for the record, racewalking is a sport. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for this information. Maybe the 7:30 pm EDT (4:30pm PDT) Saturday 8/16 and 8/23 NBC broadcast times for the 7:30am Sunday (8/17 and 8/24 Beijing time) marathons means NBC will broadcast them live. Otherwise, I'm glad we get CBC channels in the PNW. Similarly, women's and men's tri's could be live at 7:00 pm PDT on Sunday and Monday evenings 8/17 and 8/18 (10:00 am the next day on Monday and Tuesday mornings in Beijing). I think. Smile Incidentally, with Athens Marathon Gold Medal Medalist Mizuno Noguchi pulling out of the Beijing Marathon, I wonder if Ryan and Deena will wear her same kind of non-slip rice husk-sole sneakers?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I may tape the walking, but I intend to watch it, as there will be a ton of learning points there. I will be walking all through Aug and Sept, so I might as well try to learn how to do it right. Thanks Jay and Aamos. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

• Men's 20M racewalk - Saturday, Aug. 16 at 2:00am • Women's 20K racewalk - Thursday, Aug. 21 at 12:00am Go Joanne Dow!
                thanks ilene and jay. In my pre-jay days, I thought I knew how to walk but with SR already catching up to my ultra-walk paces, I don't want to miss any tips from the race walking events. However, though the PDT schedule ilene found meshes for the live coverage of the marathons, it indicates the race walking starts tonight (Friday) at 6:00 p.m. I doubt if live coverage will preempt our local NBC station's national news but maybe CBC will come through again. 8/15 - 6:00 p.m. - Men’s 20K Race Walk 8/16 - 4:30 p.m. - Women’s Marathon 8/17 - 7:00 p.m. - Women's Triathlon 8/18 - 7:00 p.m. - Men's Triathlon 8/20 - 6:00 p.m. - Women’s 20K Race Walk 8/23 - 4:30 p.m. - Men's Marathon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bap

No live 100 meters final this morning as far as I can see. Complaints to nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

maybe CBC will come through again.
                    nope. CBC coverage was so brief I couldn't even count their cadences comin' in to the stadium. I thought it was the marathon though, . . . until it showed their feet. arm swings that must give 'em shoulders like the swimmers. fantastic race walking but it's sure not walking in my book. Maybe running in constant contact with the ground.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

maybe CBC will come through again. 8/16 - 4:30 p.m. - Women’s Marathon
                      and, after a spotty start, they do. Thanks CBC. at one hour, it's a huge pack need to get to counting cadences but, in the meantime, black bikinis leading the red ones. 1:15 - first slight break 1:16 - Paula takes a relief break. 1:48 - no more live commentary on CBC but marathon runners are being shown now and then in the background of intereviews with medal-winning Canadian athletes. No problem, running commentary at http://2008olympics.runnersworld.com/2008olympics/womens_marathon/index.html (go to bottom of page first to read from start about somebody's foot, etc.) 2:20 - a nonrunner watching the facial close-ups of the winner commented that she "looks like she's aged 20 years in two hours."

coastwalker

I got up at 2am to watch the men's 20K racewalk on Saturday morning, and I am glad that I did. I was very surprised that they covered the entire race! The commentary was pretty good all along, and I was glad that they showed some of the walkers in slow motion. Clearly, some of them were breaking contact with the ground, but the rule states that what is visible to the naked eye is what counts, and so many of them got away with what would have been a serious infraction. The winner's form looked really awkward to me, but clearly it works. Jefferson Perez (2nd place) had what looked to be much more of a classic stride and technique. He's been around for a long time and is a well-liked and well-respected racealker, and I was very happy for him that he did so well. I'm just blown away by how fast all those guys can walk... I hope the women's 20K on Thursday morning is covered as well! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.