Masters Running

Thanksgiving Tuesday's Daily - 11.26.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Breathtaking photo yesterday, Mariposai. Glad you're having fun with Daniel. You're shrinking from 27F temps - what's with that?

I'm glad you're enjoying your post-retirement runs, Rochrunner.

Good luck and have fun with D#6, Enke.

Congrats on the dustable trophy, MS! Maybe you should put that in front of those mirrors...

That's a quick recovery from the Monkey, C-R.

What's with the dancing baby?

What a bummer about Stumpy and Dave's lost rings. Things like that have been knows to turn up months/years later.

Nice of you to add your luster to the 'room of the stars' at the inn, Tammy.

Twocat has a new phone! Lets all call!

Tet, it seems that most of what goes on at the dentist is outside of my comfort zone. Surprised Yeah, that's a pretty smart dumb phone you've got there.

Congrats on half marathon #20 Opie!

Congrats on passing the latest exam, Evanflein, and have a great (warm) time in Hawaii!

7.0 racewalking miles at 4:05 - 31F, completely overcast skies, and a breeze from the SW. I've been tinkering with my stride, working on a better toe-off, a stronger upper leg pull-through, and getting a bit more lift (while still being 'legal'). I can't hold it all together consistently enough, but I had some segments this morning that felt pretty nice, so I was happy. By the time I left for the office a couple of hours later, there was a dusting of snow on the ground and roads, and more drifting down. Too bad it'll change to rain later. Still haven't decided if I'll enter a bird trot on Thursday.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh, I could see the baby, too.  I was just teasing Dave.

4 miles of unintentionally naked miles.  A big "0" on the miles and time when I finished, so my poke of the start button was insufficient.  it felt quick, but I have no way of knowing.

Nice trophy, MS.  Happy dusting.

Sub 20 5K as a warm-up for a 4 hour Monkey.  I think you nailed that week.

Nice little snow storm this morning.  About a 1/2" on the ground.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

not much south from Jay and Stumpy, a few flurries but they stopped.  ++1 to both their comments.

Went out for a 4 miler and saw the true signs of Thanksgiving - college students carrying dirty laundry bags!

off to buy sweet potatoes for latkes.  fortunately not cooking for turkey day, so have lots of time (we're only bringing the wine)

have a great day everyone,

marj

Mariposai

Mornin' everyone!

Breathtaking photo yesterday, Mariposai. Glad you're having fun with Daniel. You're shrinking from 27F temps - what's with that?

I know and I did it again today to a 19F, what is wrong with me?

Roll eyes

80' of cardio plus kicboxing. i tell you, kickboxing for the first time at 50 is tough, but I got it done.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Some freezing drizzle closed all the schools this morning.  This is their 3rd day closed already this year and winter isn't even here yet.  I see make-up days in their future.

I went to the gym this morning.  Warm-up on the ARC trainer, some weight stuff, and then a couple miles on the treadmill.  Nice way to start the day.

Just Cindy and me for Thanksgiving so we plan to go out to eat.  No kids and no trips to relatives.  First time ever in my life.  I'm actually looking forward to it, but don't tell my girls.  I may even run a 5k in the morning...(probably not but it is an option.)  I've done the cooking most the past 30 years so this will be a really calm holiday.  (I don't mind the cooking but it is nice not doing it too.)

King of PhotoShop

Went to post yesterday but no one had started and as I am too lazy to do it I thought I would come back later but forgot.

Sorry about the ring Stumpy.

Well done MS, and as for getting back in shape, no one is determined as you are.  You'll be fit before you know it.

I had a craving the other day for chicken pot pie, so I went through a number of online recipes and mixed together some elements of two different ones, used store-bought puff pastry for the bottom and top crusts and made it for dinner last night. It was very good.  Here is just a quick tip for any dish that begins with a roux. Once the roux has cooked, you can add a delicious nut-like flavor to your dish with about 1/3 cup of dry sherry, or 1/4 cup of brandy or cognac, let it cook down, then proceed with your recipe.  I did this with the pot pie and it came out great.

Ran 3 slow yesterday and 3 easy today, so I'm at 20 for the week. On Thursday is our Dallas Turkey Trot (8-miler), so with warm up and cool down I'll get over ten in, and easily get my 40 for the week.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good morning, all.

After 19 years in Canada (and five in Bermuda before that), I've finally stopped being so twitchy in late November... it's just another week, mostly, until I brush up against my friends and family still resident in the US.  Although I'm sure my deep drive to roast a chicken this weekend is coming from somewhere very old.

Safe travels to those of you beginning your pilgrimage to loved ones.  I'll hold down the fort.

Thanks for the congrats on my hardware.  I'm really proud of it and hope I can get back into good enough nick that I can keep it next year.  Smile  In that spirit, I went for a paper-bag 5k, which would sound more virtuous and disciplined of me if I had any choice *other* than going at paper-bag pace.  Oh, well.  A run is a run closer to being a runner again.

Saw my cycling club coming down the waterfront from their sprints workout in the dark.  I've been in that pack so many times and it was breathtaking to see and hear them coming - it looks like a giant UFO, this gaggle of bobbing, weaving bright lights coming by with a whirr and  an unintelligible gabbling noise (I happen to know from experience that it's actually profound things like, "steady up," and "car!")  That was kind of cool.

Happy Tuesday, all.

...Holy Crappe!!!!!!!!!!!!.......IT'S 30'S AND Friggin' SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!

sorta

takes all the Advantages of Living in The South away........

============

slipped and slid to the Y

32mprnb

with steps

...........luckily it's supposed to freeze tonite......so I got That going for me

...............................good running guys..............Watch Yer Footing.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Greetings all and good warning TW---slippery out there in many parts.

I woke up to  a light dusting of snow here that was gone by the time I went out to run 10 miles--fartlek style at 8:30 am.

Temps. will rise overnight here with tomorrow's highs close to 60 and once again a need to build an Ark apparently. We'll get our wintry blast when we head to CNY on Friday. The trail race I signed up for in Mendon-Ponds park in Rochester on Saturday may require snow shoes. JTWILI

Adding props for MS and her winning ways. I have no doubt you'll get to where you want to be fitness-wise and do be good to yourself along the way.

Sounds like nice plans Dave. We're bringing turkey to a family gathering at super-granny's place and then we get to eat leftovers with the in-laws for the rest of the week.  We'll have a little bit of holiday at home and some away...looking forward!

Thanks Jay.  No, it wasn't a PR this time, Tet.  I ended up with a respectable 2:02 and some change, when I'm able to run much faster.  4 miles this morning on the treadmill.

Races where things didn't go as planned can teach us a lot, can't they?  I had an "aha" moment yesterday.  Lately I've been thinking how I need to quit looking at my Garmin, so I've even been switching to the screen that shows HR instead of time and distance.  I didn't have it on that screen Sunday at the race because of problems with the HR strap.  So I realized I made a mistake at a key point in the race.  There is a significant hill near the end, and I looked at my overall pace and basically gave up, thinking "I won't make it under 2 hours as planned" and I walked up the hill.

So my plan is to turn on the Garmin when I start but then stick it in my pocket.  I like to have the data later to upload or I would leave the thing at home.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

tet, congrats on the 10K 1st in AG.  mari, that was a fantastic sunset picture.  MS, kudos on the cycling award.  opie, way to go with half #20.  evan, great passing your exam.  stumpy, bummer about losing your ring.

Nice long runs for wild and CNY.  Good job on the speedwork for evan.

This morning, the temp was in the high 20s and there was some wind.  The weather people were talking of icy roads north and west of here (Dave's territory) and there were school closings there but not nearby.  I layered up and walked to the end of the driveway to find an icy road.  I went back in, shed the layers and hopped on the TM.  Shortly, school closings were announced all around me.  At any rate, it was 8 miles at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Opie not look at a Garmin while running!  Shudder!

In my own running news:  It was out for 14 today with about 8 that included Zombies.  I tell you if there is a zombie apocalypse do not run 6 miles or so prior to meeting up with the zombie hordes.  It makes it much, much harder to get away!

In non-running news:  Best wishes to anybody traveling tonight or tomorrow along the east coast!  The storm that will pass through looks to be something wicked!  I am sort of glad everybody is coming to my place so I just have to hope we keep our power and that people can get here so that I do not have leftovers to last through January.

In semi-professional news:  I was interviewed by some people at the Wall Street Journal for a new on line series of theirs called "Portfolio of Ideas."  My little segment is up and if you want to spend two or three minutes seeing me pontificate on the subject of bubbles and panics you can do so at http://portfolioofideas.com/.  Happy viewing if you decide to click!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all.

I missed all the hardware stuff. Good work MS and tet. And #20 for Opie. Cool.

You guys are making me hungry with the talk about pot pies and sweet potatoes. Makes my lentil soup for lunch seem skimpy.

It's cold everywhere it seems. Oh well, winter is a bit early I guess.

10k for me today. Legs are a little sore still but lots better. We moved soccer games to tonight so that should get rid of the soreness.

Very cool tc.

Oh and I found this article on some wicked fast masters Enjoy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That's very cool, Twocat.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

4 miles of unintentionally naked miles. 

Whew - that must have been cold...Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."