Masters Running

40+ On the Run w/e 3/7 (Read 378 times)

jfa

"Running is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." to paraphrase the Great Yogi Berra. Hoping to hear from our racers soon! Had every excuse to bag this morning's long run. Snow, sleet, rain, 25mph winds, 2" of slush on the roads.I'm in the car, procrastinating dressed and ready when the weathergirl says we're getting 8-12" more of the white stuff tonight! Got my ass out the door and put down a 16miler. Nice and soaked but not cold. Have the fire going and feeling fine. Maybe we''l get a snowday tomorrow!! Smile Joe

Thanks for getting us going for the week Joe.......nice quote, although when you're injured I disagree with it! Big grin Way to get out there knowing you had more white stuff heading your way! Yesterday had to have gotten close to 80* but the next couple of days is suppose to be super, super windy and cold. Wierd, wierd weather! I spent 8 hours in a courtroom yesterday helping out with the county High School Mock Trial competition. Man, are some of these kids good. I mean, they dressed the part, acted the part and studied their stuff. The Honorable judge Silverman and Earp along with local attorneys who were the jurors volunteered their day yesterday to help out. There were 2 timekeepers, one for the plaintiff and one for the defendent (me). I actually learned quite a bit myself. Well, since I can't run I figured I'd just tell you what I've been up to. Lots of homework......taking 4 classes and it is pretty tough. Mid-terms are this week so I'm already half way thru the semester! Hoping to hear how Carols race went and how Ev's race/training run went! Have a super Sunday everyone..... Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Not quite ready to throw down the entire race report, so here's the abbreviated version. 25K...2:25:05 chip time....3 minute 48 second PR over last years race. 15/21 AG...76/120 male....94/202 ovrall. Same race, different course as last year. This year's course was much flatter than last years. But the wind was a significant THE factor in this race. 35 mph all the time and 40-45 gusts (and 10-15F windchill) made for a challenge day. When I got to the first 5K mark I was ready for it to be over. At times it seemed like a strong effort resulted in very little forward progress at all! But what a great run to train for mental toughness.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Woohooo!!! Nice PR in spite of that wind Ev! Must have felt like running on a treadmill in a wind tunnel. At least the hills weren't as a bad as last year, though maybe they would have knocked down the wind a bit. Sounds like you're right on track for that marathon. Joe, your post just stole any hope of a weather related excuse I could ever hope to use. Sleet, ouch! Thanks for starting us off, and I too like the quote. Jewels, sounds like quite a busy schedule! Hopefully will keep you distracted 'till you can see that knee doc. How did you get connected up with the moc trial stuff? Sounds very interesting. OK, you asked so here it is: Cowtown 1/2 Marathon (2/28/09) Team AIM (Accountants in Motion) met all goals!!!! (start healthy, design/wear t-shirts, finish). My friend's hubby is a Ft Worth police officer, and was nice enough to secure us a parking place downtown in the police lot about a block from the start. My hubby was kind enough to drive us to said spot and see us to the start. So that started things off nicely. We were not fast, but stayed together and had lots of fun. Weather conditions were similar to Ev's race. Right around freezing temp wise, with NW wind averaging 20 MPH, gusting up to 38. Really only felt cold for the first few miles though, and then it was fun to watch all of the clothes that had been shed laying on the side of the roads. I guess we were both a little excited, and in spite of visiting the facilities before the race, about 1.5 miles into it, we had to visit them again. Cost us about 5 minutes in line, and at a time when we were fresh. But since neither of us was serious enough about this to be willing to pee ourselves and we hoped the early lines would be shorter, stop we did. All went well as we clipped along for the first 10 miles. We walked some of the uphills, and stopped a time or two for my friend to stretch out her knees, and me to test my blood sugar. Lots of support along the course, including bands and impromptu musicians here and there. We slapped the hands of lots of kiddos whose parents had brought them out, and thanked as many folks as we could along the way. Around mile 8, we met a lady wearing a pink cowboy hat and pink skirt who had just turned 50 and was doing her first ultra (50K). It was fun talking with her, and her hands were cold so I gave her my gloves, promising that the stain on them was only coffee Smile. So I can now say my gloves have completed an ultra cause she did it! At mile 9ish, my friend's parents met us at a designated McDonald's, so we stopped for a couple of pictures, and passed of our jackets to them. Outside of my right knee (IT band I think) tightened up a bit early on, but was quite manageable....until mile 12 where it became really painful. Had to walk a good portion of mile 12 and 13, but with lots of encouragement from my friend, and some cheery young lady shouting to us all sorts of "you can do it" types of things, I managed to restart for the last 1/2 mile or so and look semi-respectable crossing the finish line. I have no doubt that I held my friend back in those last couple of miles, but she was a true friend to the end and I think would have carried me if she had to. We finished in 2:32:21, and our splits were all over the place due to all of the above antics: M1 10:32 M2 15:44 (at least 5 mins at the port-a-potty) M3 10:36 M4 10:14 M5 11:57 M6 10:36 M7 11:39 M8 11:04 M9 12:33 (meet the parents) M10 10:52 M11 10:14 M12 12:29 M13 12:19 Hubby was there at the finish line and snapped a couple of pics. Wish we could have hung around to watch more of the marathon finishers (other than the ones who passed us Smile, but it was just too dang cold and windy to hang around downtown without those jackets and gloves we had handed over earlier. So off for a quick shower, and then to Babe's for chicken, chicken fried steak, biscuits, etc. with our families. My friend appears to have emerged unscathed, and I'm walking better today than yesterday, so I think it's just inflammation of the IT band that needs some rest and a more balanced workout and stretching program going forward. When I started writing this, it was just going to be a short paragraph, but as you can see I got a little carried away Blush
          Progress Trumps Pefection
          xor

Woohoo! Cowtown! I usually come to that race, and couldn't make it this year. Windy and cold - sounds like Cowtown! Great job.

Queen of 3rd Place

"Against the Wind" is the theme for the weekend! Uh-oh, now that's going to run through my head on my next run... Wink Ev - Nice PR despite the wind...nice! Bet your finish more than made up for the frustration. Carol - LOVE the goals that included designing/wearing t-shirts! Got any pics! And...mmmmmm...chicken-fried steak. That's something that I only let myself have maybe every 3 or 4 years. Did something different yesterday, ran down to the river bottom of the San Joaquin River, there's a 22 mile stretch that is mostly state-owned, but it's not developed so you have to search for old dirt roads, some sections of these have been washed out, so we did a lot of scouting around and exploring. It was sort of a trail run, some rough terrain and short sharp ups and down, plus the big climb into and out of the river valley. Somewhat challenging, very pretty and a nice change of pace. Hope everyone is having some nice weekend runs. Arla

Ex runner

Congrats to Carol and Ev for their windy finishes. The wind was calm here on Sat. But yesterday (Sun), easily 25 mph steady winds with some bigtime gusts. Strange I tell ya! Ev, super nice pace and PR for you. Between the wind and those temps, jeez, how did you manage? Like you said, it brought out that "mental toughness" in a person. Great job! Carol, sounds like you had a blast! Great race for you and your friend. Your weather conditions did sound a lot like Ev's, windy and cold. So nice of you to give your gloves to the 50k runner. She will remember your gesture for a long time. But that is you. You're a giver with such a great personality. I love your non-competitive attitude towards your running/race and glad you had a good time. A darn nice pace with all of those stops, especially the porta-potty stop! Arla, sounds like a nice and interesting place for a run! It's always nice to change things up. Congrats on another 50 mile week! Have a nice week everyone...... Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Congrats to the weekend racers. Ev the conditions sounded just miserable, this one will make future races seem nice eh? Way to hang in! Carol, nice job to you also, sounds like it was a fun race in spite of not perfect weather. Hope the it comes around quickly. So are the race Tees deductable (wellness program, advertising ?)? Wink Joe winter is not giving up easily in the east this year, kudos for getting your run in. Arla interesting run in the valley. Jewels almost half way thru the semester, going to Florida for spring break I presume?? Wink My nephew was on a state champ mock trial team but I never got to watch them. Lynda had a checkup in Denver friday, everything good, so we headed up to ski at Copper. We met up with MtnChk Sat eve for dinner but before she worked over my chronic calf/achilles area with her hot stones. She definitely knows what she is doing. No runs over the weekend but skiied pretty hard. Just for kicks I put my skins on and skinned up in place of taking one particular lift I don't like. Got some funny looks but good exercise. MTA skins think velcro for skis that sticks to your skis with adhesive with a velcro like surface against the snow so you can climb uphill without sliding backwards. When you get to the top just peel them off and fold them and put them away. http://www.genuineguidegear.com/telemark_skin_tip.html Have a great week.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

My oh my but you folks have been busy! Ev and Carol - Way to go on your races, crappy weather conditions and all. I believe we have some future marathoners in our midst. FJ - "put on skins" and "skinned up." Hmmmm. However, I do understand the hot stone application. Very nice of Cindy to take care of you in such style! Joe - Dead on your weather conditions. Let me see: snow, sleet, rain, slush v. -8-12" of snow. Good grief! Arla - Sounds like a nice area to do some trail running training, perhaps? Jewels - We have a Teen Court here, as well, and they not only hold mock trials, but also, depending on the offense, juveniles can agree to a jury of their peers. The judge, prosecuting and defense attorneys, bailiffs, and jurors are all teens. Judge Chris Wilson is the overseer. Whatever punishment the jury hands down, the defendant has to do or he/she ends up in the regular court system. It's all confidential with no adults allowed except the defendants parents (I think). It's pretty cool and has helped keep kids out of the regular system and put them back on the straight road. I'm home and ready for a new workout schedule. Haven't checked my email yet to see if it's there. Didn't have time Saturday or Sunday to work out. It rained on us the whole way home yesterday (6 hours), and we're suppose to have a good size rain storm coming in for the next few days, which equates to wet runs. But that's okay. I'd rather have little ole rain and wind than what Joe has been running in. Yuck! Later, gang!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for the nice words, everyone. Congrats Carol on a fine half! Sounds like you and your friend had a great time. Meeting up with her parent's at McDs....that fun stuff right there. Sorry to hear your IT band is giving you problems. I dealt with that a few years back. Mine not a bad problem but enough to keep me sidelined somewhat. I learned to do some stretches for it and have not had an issue since. Your after race dinner sounds wonderful!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Mornin'! Mother Nature was kind and stopped dumping rain right before I headed out the door this a.m., and didn't start back up until I was almost home. Snow flurries/whiteout up on the mountain passes has made driving across 299 and 36 a bit dangerous right now. Let me just say that Humboldt County people can be Stupid, Stupid, Stupid when driving in inclement weather. Am back on a regular training program as of today. Completed 3.25 miles in 33:27, and about 30 minutes of light strength training. The HR is staying on the high side, but am hopefully it'll start coming back down once my fitness level goes back up to norm. Av Pace/Best/Av HR 1. 10:19/8:40/145 2. 10:31/8:49/154 3. 10:11/8:58/158 4. 9:51/8:50/158 Eating is quite the issue right now, unfortunately. The Hub made a pot of chili Sunday before I got home, but he made it too spicy and I can't eat it. Sad The ole intestines are not real happy with the internal changes these days, and I am constantly battling heartburn and nausea. Oh well. I'm told for most people things settled down within a few months. Until then, it's a crap shoot as to what I can and can't eat. Roll eyes Luckily, I have some nausea medication I can take, but it makes me a bit sleepy, which makes it a tad tuff while at work. Have a good one, folks ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Due to the recession in 2009, the government will start deporting all the mentally ill people to save money. I started crying when I thought of you guys. Run my little crazy friends, run! Well, what can I say??? Someone sent it to me, and dammit, I'm NOT going alone !!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - good news on your run, your recovery has been spectacular (easy for me to say, I guess). Hope your insides settle down soon. Jim - is that a pic from your ski trip? If so...wow! Blustery day for a run today, for some reason it didn't bother me too much today, usually the wind gets me either coming or going and can really slow things down. Quick sponge off in the restroom, som e powder and I'm ready for class...good thing it's a big lecture hall and the students aren't too close to me! Tongue\ Arla

Ex runner

arla, is that your bird in your avatar?

jfa

the government will start deporting all the mentally ill people to save money. I started crying when I thought of you guys. Excellent!! That sounds like fun! Where are they sending us ?!? Cool Hi Folks, busy at work, running, kids issues,etc have kept me reticent on the threads. Carol and Ev- Fantastic races for both of you in very challenging weather!!! I never know how to dress when it's that windy and cold. I hope that you ran on somewhat of a loop and had at least a partial downwind run. You both accomplished your goals and had fun doing it. After all, we are only racing against ourselves so the fact that you both did so well pushing your limits (McDonald's ?!?) makes you winners in my book! Way to Go! Leslie- Good going on your run and welcome back. Hope your inards find their way soon. Jim- that back country stuff sure is compelling. What are the ski skins for, changing snow conditions? Arla- sounds like you may have to sit in the back of the bus on our way to the funny farm. I need to start working in some of those quick daytime runs soon. Jewels- sounds like you will have to lay off that knee till you see the Doc. Can you do the elliptical? That should keep you fit. About 11" of snow fell on us Sunday night and it's been in the single digits at night. Fortunately, yesterday was a rest day. Tonight was a struggle to find a paved ,snow free place to run without cars. Settled for a plowed stretch of parking lots around our middle school. Ten times on a .8m track of road has me feeling a bit like a hamster! Oh , are we there yet? Smile