Masters Running

heel pain (Read 339 times)

lswife

This wouldn't have concerned me, but I recently read someplace not to ignore "heel pain" which I've had since a 5K run last Wednesday. Lately I've been running only 3x a week and running on a treadmill, not outside. I was never an athlete but began C25K about a year ago and stayed with it after last June's "graduation," running through the neighborhood during warm weather but have stayed indoors since last November. I ran 3+ miles last Wednesday at the Y as usual, got home, and the next day I could hardly take a step my left heel was so sore. Over the weekend, it's stayed sore (sort of like an old-fashioned "stone bruise") but I can walk carefully, not power-walk, and certainly not run. I've had plantar fasciitis years ago (before running), and this doesn't feel the same. I haven't iced it but have taken ibuprofen for the pain. For the record (and to help you suggest things to me), I'm 60, still a bit overweight, run turtle-speed, and my shoes are one-year-old. Any suggestions? Shall I just nurse it along for a few more days? Thanks for any help.
      sorry to hear of your pain. I have heal pain on some level all the time. I know from x rays that I have a pretty big heal spur. I was told that when I had a case of plantar fastitis about two tears ago that when that tendon is swollen and rubbing across the heal area it causes a calcium build up and "poof" a bone spur. I also notice that my calves and achilles on that side tend to get tight and that also contributes to the rubbing action. To counter act this I have learned to listen to my body and take appropriate action as needed. First and formost never go barefoot! I always wear some kind of support (shoe or slipper)hopefully with added arch support. I stretch my calves and achilles after every run and will ice the areas if they seem to be getting extra sore. I try to space my hard days far enough apart to give plenty of recoup time and increase my workouts very gradually. Keeping my weight in check I believe has helped a lot also. (10 less would be better though) Good shoes and I change them out every 400 miles or even 300 if I start to feel they are breaking down. I am no Dr. but your symptoms sound classic. It is managable but you need to take care of it. Take days off "before it gets extreme and apply ice to controll inflamation. I try not to take to much Ibuprophin as I feel its not good for the tummy. ( I am just not a pill taker) but will take them for a few days if absolutly needed. One other thing I find it best to stretch before your tendons are inflamed I never strtch them when they are hurting really bad. Just how I take care of my issues take it for what its worth and good luck

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Manchild

I had heel pain but not a spur. Had a doctor look at it and told me it was PF. Slept with the "boot" for a week, took a week off and stretched as much as I could, toes to knee cap. All, to no avail, except the stretching. Decided to deal with the pain and began running again. That was 18 mths ago. I never looked back and still stetch everyday Yes Chris

Top 'O the World!

I haven't iced it ......... and my shoes are one-year-old. .
          hmmmm..IMHO...check these two things maybe 1st....most of my "one-year-old-shoes" are retired to gardening....& ice is a good treatment for what may be ailing..
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sorry about the heel pain. If it is PF it would be much more sore first steps out of bed and then get less sore after the fascia is streteched from walking around. If it is just plain sore all the time and no difference first thing in the morning, I'd suspect a bruise. I had bad PF earlier in the year and have a nice MRI of a well defined Bone Spur. But the bone spur does not cause an irritation of the PF it only aggravates it once it is damaged. My PF healed and there is no heel pain at all but I surely still have the bone spur. If you do have PF it takes a while to heal and for me the stretch (toes to knee while doing an extended leg hamstring stretch.. leg up on counter straight and pull back on toes with your hand) along with a "boot" or "splint" at night were the best remedies. Ice never did a thing for me. Hope it's just a bruise. Steve ETA: there is a PF thread already with great info: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/35cb261dc2834d8aa0a1721b4bb831f0

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

lswife

Thanks, all. I haven't run much since my post, and the rest/days off seem to be helping as pain is minimal, and yes, it was all the time. It must have been a bruise of some sort. I did also estimate my mileage in the shoes. At even 10 miles a week* (mostly more, sometimes less) the shoes have 500+ miles in them. On an old CR thread, I think that's when shoes are to be replaced? I'll go shoe- hunting this weekend, and my present shoes - my FIRST running shoes - will be everyday run-to-the-grocery shoes. *I'm not a marathoner or racer but just your 60-year-old neighbor lady whom you occasionally see huffing and puffing on the streets around here.
              brandicted

Attach adhesive moleskin to your foot.

Moleskin can be trimmed down to cover the area your shoe rubs against. Depending on your skin tone, it may also blend into your skin, preventing others from discovering its presence. This solution works especially well when the problem is located at the back of your foot directly above your heel, or around the toe in a closed-toe shoe.

Marathon Maniac #957

I have been suffering heel pain lately, but from my internet research, it seems to me more involved with the peroneal tendon (which runs under the ankle bone on the outside) and the Achilles tendon right at the insertion point of the heel.  I have simply rested it a lot, barely running this week, and occasionally icing it.

I agree with the others that it is time for new shoes, and otherwise suggest you rest it, ice it, and perhaps some gentle massage/stretching of the calf.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."