Masters Running

Wednesday, 5.20.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, no more palindrome/Palladin.

Ribs, aside from the awful insurance issue, how is PR's hand?

OK. Gotta go catch a plane...

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

New skirt in town

I've got a nasty laryngitis thingie laying me low.  I'm getting in some workouts, mainly driven by the fear that I might feel MUCH worse tomorrow, so I should try to get SOMEthing in today!

DS is doing a track and field program in our area, and they have meets every Monday and Thursday.  He absolutely LOVES the race walking event that finishes the meets.  The race walk is untimed, and the kiddos are just marked as to how many they complete during the season: there is a race walking award for those who complete 7 or more.  Here's a video I shot of him finishing the event on Monday night.  He's visibly tired after the prior 2 hours of competition, but he sure perks up when he sees me (or the finish line!):

https://youtu.be/eL7QdOov0vo

You'd think, as a medical professional, I'd have more insight into the in-network/out-of-network issues faced by your son, Ribs, but I'm equally as stymied as anyone else.  Surely that sounds like an emergency issue that merits some sort of special consideration, especially because he received assurances that it was in-network?  Hopefully there is some sort of an appeals process that will help him sort through all of this.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Another ho hum day, . . . . until 7pm

when soon-to-be-six yo GS arrives

with DD for first visit since October.

Yippee

<<<(zoo/aquarium/dinosaurs/ferriswheel/troutpond/spaceneedle/___)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mid morning!

Safe travels, Jay.  Hope you can get some down time in the midst of all the bustle.

O boy, tet is going to have a greta day!!! 

And Stumps had a rather fine evening, but I'll let him tell......

Yay DS, Dr. T---I believe that's called "smelling the hay," no?

8 easy at Lakes Park and sunrise over a lake this am for me.  Community Gardens (and decorated Rain Barrel all looking spectacular).  And another thing I love about Wednesday am runs is that they are slower than Tuesday night speed work.

We did 1000s x 5 last night and I so was not feeling the speed.  Ugh.  Starting midway through the first one, I told myself I wouldn't do all 5--even when doing #4, I was sure I'd end with that one and just jog in the last one.  Well thanks to the power of the group, I did all 5. 

I'll check out that WVA run, thanks for including me, Holly.  If it's you and Carolyn, why am I thinking it's going to be a tough, hilly and more than 26 mile trail run ???

Have some merriment today, all.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Good morning good people! Only two more days before the start of our first holiday weekend of the summer. I'm sure everyone will be busy getting their desks and nasty little jobs cleaned up for a totally relaxing Memorial Day weekend.

Safe travels Jay!

Feel better Robin!

A grandson for the weekend? Sounds like Grandpa Tet has a full itinerary planned

Aamos slow? I don't think so!

5 miles this morning just trying to shake things loose a little. I can't believe how sore I still am from last Sunday. This getting old thing sure ain't for sissies - or runners. As many of you may know, I work for the YMCA and they started a "Survivor" challenge at all 4 locations last week. There are 5 people on a team, and each week we are issued a new challenge. If one person on your team doesn't complete the challenge, you're "off the island." Last week we had to drink 64 ounces of water every day. No problem with that one. This week, we have to limit our television time to one hour a day. I've been using mine up watching the local and national news for a half hour each every night so far. I don't watch a lot of television but the few shows I do like had their season finale last week. My DH is love-love-loving this, because he's got control of the remote for the NBA playoffs, Stanley Cup hockey, and the Brewers games every night.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

PHoto from Lakes Park

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay, Robin and others.  We'll wait for the final bill from the provider before we do anything.  Incidentally, one of my clients negotiates payments between providers and insurers and I teach them negotiation skills.  I think I will be all right once the dust settles. And Jay, the hand is all healed up nicely.

3.3 solo miles on the packed dirt this morning, trying to give my knees a break after yesterday's 12-miler.  Spareribs

evanflein

Good to hear Spare Ribs' hand is healed up, that's the most important thing! I do like getting the legal input from Tet, even if I have to read it twice to fully get it.

Have a good trip, Jay! Good to hear you'll be home in time to have Monday off.

Get better Robin! Great shot of DS finishing that lap. He definitely perks up there at the end.

Holly, I do want to do the Freedom's Run marathon but I haven't signed up yet. I will if you will! And yes, DH is coming along. We're going in to NY a week earlier to drive around and see some stuff. I've only been to NYC and I know there's so much more to see! Of course, we'll work in a visit with Hally/Barb and end with a visit to WRFB and PDR's place. They're very close to the Freedom's Run course. I've already entered Wineglass the weekend before, so we'll have the whole week to drive around and see stuff. It'll be the longest non-work/non-family related trip we've taken in many, many years. It's my birthday week so we decided to kind of go "all out" this way.

Another gorgeous day here! Getting a wee bit concerned with how dry it is heading into the holiday weekend, but loving the nice warm sunny days. I'm running home from work today, so it'll be about 10 miles for my Wednesday.

Get well soon, Robin. There has been some nasty stuff like that making the rounds in this area -- hope that's not what you have!

Jlynne, were you a "Mad Men" fan? Great final scene, wasn't it?

No advice on the insurance issues, Ribs, but it's always an eye-opener when you see what the full-freight charge is on even basic procedures.

Since when did Aamos "not feel the speed." Yeah, sure. 

A drop-dead gorgeous day today for a run out at the lake. It was just in the 40s when we got there, but with the sun and not much breeze it was IRC for sure. I ran the full distance around the lake -- 6 miles -- which is my longest run yet this year (I'm sorry to say), and I did it at a decent pace with no breaks. Leg felt GRETA during and after the run, so at least I'm confident that I can run a flat 10K now without embarrassing myself.

It's tempting to keep ramping it up, but I'm almost certain to regret it. Still, I might go out on the bike tomorrow and do another run on Friday.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I don’t get here often enough, but luckily Jay’s posts are great summaries of what is going on around here. Happy (late) Birthday!!!

Today was a lovely 4.2 mile route, that I haven’t run in over a year. Nice to get back to this route than goes along the Mystic River and now has a boardwalk that I run on the way back.

Ribs – ouch! The facility may have a reimbursement manager, who should argue the claim. There is an appeal process and it takes time, so PR should not feel rushed to pay anything. He should not pay and then try for a reimbursement.

Aamos – nice speedwork!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Excellent!  Carolyn - Excellent, too!  I will sign up soon and let you know when I have done so.

Right now I am dealing with the fact that I am filing a record number of Medicaid applications before the end of next week, in spite of the fact that it is a short week, that both sets of in-laws are flying in, and that I am taking next Friday off for DS' graduation and party.  I am absolutely buried at work right now, and more than a little stressed.  Whew!

7 miles for me this morning in 43 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

It seens like the freedom run is going to have a few goddesses running together.

Ribs, use your negotiations skills and ket us know how it goes.

Jay, safe travels.

Gorgeous picture, Aamos.

I had a lovely run this morning up Kermel grade.  6 miles total and my legs are finally recovered from Boston and the trail ultra.

Happy mamá here. My sunshine Daniel is coming home for the weekend!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It seems like the freedom run is going to have a few goddesses running together.

Oh, why did I already do West Virginia?!

I did an easy 6.2 miles, tonight.

Well...Ryan packed up his car, his girlfriend packed up her van, and they headed to Wyoming, this morning.  I guess I just have to trust that the boy knows what he's doing and pray really, really hard that God is watching over him.  This new girlfriend of his doesn't like staying in one place very long.  She, actually went to school here--and is one of his old high school friends--they just never dated until a couple of months ago.  She's a rock climber and has to go to Wyoming to clime rocks.  I guess Wyoming has good rocks to climb.  Anyway...the mood ain't so good around here, tonight.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hang in there Mike.

I felt the same way when it happened to us but, though I never got out to Wyoming to visit, I got to live out all sorts of vicarious fun before he somehow made a smooth transition to real life.  good luck.

West Virginia, isn't that where Dave's goin'?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Ribs, would the accident be covered by homeowner's insurance? When I made deliveries, any injury that would have happened to me while I was not in contact with the company's delivery vehicle would not be covered by workman's comp but the responsibility of the property owner.

Loved the video of your son, Robin.

Nice picture Aamos!

LaTortuga!!!!!

Our company had an open house with company dignitaries from all over the continental US as well as some of our customers and suppliers. One guy in a company polo shirt had wandered into the warehouse area. I was winding up the day and applying myself to make progress in the chaos I inherited. I introduced myself. The man called himself paul, out of our corporate office. I told him I've delivered to places where they had granite driveways. One place had 15 bathrooms in their guest house. I've delivered a Point Five door that ran $100,00.00 and a Hope window that was close to $80,00. Then I remarked on the store remodel. I said, "Wow.". It had blown me away. Paul said it was his brainchild and thanked me. I told him I meant it from the bottom of my ass kissing heart.

I was ready to head home until I saw so many familiar faces. One fella, Charlie, looked me up. Nine years ago this week, I did my final going out of business liquidation for a lumber yard. He and one other guy, Carlos,  were going into store management. Carlos already knew more than anyone else and could not be bothered with much. I took Charlie around the property and showed him a number of items that were stocked for a specific customer who promised to use them on every job. Then showed Charlie the year these items came in. As soon at the customer found the product cheaper at another property, their loyalty changed. As the sale progressed, everything had been marked down to 75% off or "make offer". I suggested that he pay attention to what's left and think long and hard before he stocked them in his stores.  Because if a supplier will not buy inventory back at a ridiculous restock fee, how valuable is it? The man is still as wide eyed and eager as he was back then. He's moved up the ladder pretty well for a young pup.

I ran into Dave. He said that he recommended that my new boss bug me to come when they met at a trade show in Wisconsin. Dave told my boss, to the best of his knowledge, he didn't think i that I had bitten anyone yet. I think I'll add that to my resume. Perhaps lead with, "To the best of my knowledge, I don't think I've bitten anyone yet.".

I ran into a former boss. His recommendation was, "He may be the squirrelist M/F-er you'll ever meet, but he does a good job and is dedicated". I guess I've left an impression.  Obviously I've made an impression, however, after over 7 years out of the industry, it blows my mind that people still remember me. I'm torn between disbelief, flattered and embarrassed. 

I still got three miles worth of lawn mower pushing in.

SteveP