Masters Running

Rainy Race SATURDAY 1-9-16 (Read 42 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well, the weather forecasters got it right...it's raining.  I arrived 1 1/2 hours early, this time...luckily I have my car to sit in.  I haven't seen any lightning, so I hope this thing starts on time.

I can't help but wonder what Twocat would do...after spending all the money and driving all the miles...would he race, today?  I won't even mention my Achilles.

I will be honest...I am not going into this with any confidence.  I'm just going to try to take it easy at the start and see

how I feel at the half...if I make it that far...it is raining, after all.

Okay--that's it.  Good luck to everybody else racing, today!  See ya!

Slo

Go get em Mike!

5+ fartlek filled miles this morning...soggy once again but the deep freeze cometh.

Henrun

Go Mike!

Hot, humid 4.5 miles in Miami Beach. No rain today- will hit 81. Will spend rest of morning on the beach. Here till Tuesday- then back to the cold (for a few weeks) until our next trip.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

45F

overcast

10 miles

9:16 average pace

Big group run. The fast folks were ahead of us. Pamela, Ralph, and I were our on little subset.  Some roads, some trails, all fun. Coffee at Aroma's after the run.

MikeE I have been monitoring Jackson MS weather all week!  Here's hoping you did all right.

Henry A day at the beach? Tough job but, somebody's got to do it.

Slo_hand Nice soggy fart...lek.  Heh heh

To all who follow: Carpe diem. Seize the fish.

MTA: Yeah, I think Mike did all right:

MikeE

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Sayhey! MM#130

Foggy and cool so I didn't go out until 8!  14.5 miles.

DH went short with his partner so he's home and it is chore time.

Mike, how was it ?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

spacityrunner

Yeah that Mike did right fine in MS.  I thought about his travels and wondered if he stopped in AR?  I woulda gave you a place to lay your head...not sure about the cheap spaghetti dinner 

Cold and rain, thankfully no winds, for the running clubs 2nd Winter series run.  4.2 street miles...not my fav kind of running but I like this group of folks and the winter series is every Saturday in January...then I won't get to run with them very often.  So, I took every Friday off in January so I can show up every Saturday morning...rain or shine...and today it was rain :-(.  

The weather reminded me of the Blue and Grey half I ran with Tramps.  That day it was colder (36), windy (20 mph) and the rains were stronger.  It was a few years ago but yes I still remember it.  

Dolly and the desperate housecats are not happy with this weather, but the birds are unfazed by it as they hang around the feeders in any type of weather.  I have a fire going, coffee is hot and I will just enjoy the rest of the day.

Trails Rock!

moebo

Good morning!

This was supposed to be my SRD, but I decided to get my long run done instead since it looks like tomorrow is going to be rainy.

10 miles, 9:40 pace overall. The best part was that I felt strong enough to be able to make my last two miles my fastest (9:25, 9:13).

MikeE, I just peeked at your results: nice!

MikeE, it is a warm rain, right? It is better than Minnesota weather, 1 degree, feels like 23 below! Hope you had a good race in spite if the weather.

I went to the Y this morning and ran 2 miles on the track, 12 laps to a mile. I still prefer that to the treadmill for now. I had a silly dream about buying a used treadmill last night, ack! After the run I spent some time on the stationary bike and watched Jimmy Fallon on Hulu for 6 miles. At home I did 2 short yoga videos by Brett Larkin. I'd like some suggestions for good beginner videos from y'all.

oh, the most exciting event is the pending birth of our sixth grandchild today! She has been admitted and things are progressing slowly. If she waits until tomorrow then half of my grandchildren will share the same birthday! She does.not.want.that.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

...soggy once again but the deep freeze cometh.

same here Slo//............Wishing Mike Good Racing and ''If it hurts when you DoDat, DON' DODAT!!!!!!''

========

..........mixed precip for tomorrow here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now ask me if I'm gonna skip my 60-min outside

I dare ya

...................40-min PoolRun today,

with belt, closed fists, running in shallows

..................good running guys............Run with What You Got........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I promise not to overpost today... but... I just have to add this because Starr is waiting for a new grandbaby on this day.

28 years ago today. In Cincinnati. The Christ Hospital. Lilmissrosie was born!  Yes, indeed. Life sure got interesting and FABULOUS 28 years ago today. At 4:08 p.m.

The rocket scientist remembers it well because, up in Cleveland, the Browns and Bernie Kosar beat the Indianapolis Colts. It was 16F in Cleveland and about the same in Cincinnati.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

mrrun

MikeE - awesome race and results!

coastwalker

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen Mike's results, but some other folks here are hinting that he did right well, rain and all. WTG, Mike! Most of the time when I hear that a good runner is going into a race without any confidence, I learn later that they've done a lot better than they expected to do.

Sorry about the sog again, Slo, but good on you for getting out there again.

Nice run, Henry, but if it's all the same to you, I'd prefer this morning's cool chill to H&H.

Nice 10-miler with the group 'o fish, RCG.

Good cool 14.5-er, Aamos.

Sorry you had rain this morning too, Spacityrunner. But it sounds like you're spending the rest of the day just right.

Nice 10er, especially on a SRD, Moebo. It's always nice to be able to finish fast and strong, isn't it?

Nice run on the small track, Starr, and congrats on the pending arrival of GC #6.

Nice soggy slog for you too, TW. No, you won't pull a Twocat tomorrow, will you? Hip rotation: Stand still with your feet slightly apart and swing your arms vigorously, bringing them close to but not over to the center line of your body in the front and fairly far back behind you. You should feel your hip turning (rotating) slightly as you swing your arms. That is the kind of hip rotation you want to achieve when racewalking. And yes, you do have to do that arm swing thing: arm bent at 90 degrees, swing back almost to be able to reach into a back pocket, and keep the swing in front short but still powerful (if you swing too far out front, you'll throw off your center of gravity, and that won't help). A quick and powerful arm swing helps create a quick and powerful leg swing, and that helps generate speed. Much more so than with running, a good arm swing is an integral part of racewalking.

I went a scootch over 6 RW miles at the usual time this morning, also in a drizzle and 38F temps with some appreciable wind. After I stretched, etc., DW and I went to our favorite dive for breakfast. Then I headed to our indoor track (12 laps/mile, like Starr's track) in Portsmouth for a racewalking training session. I did some laps on my own, and then we all did ladders, going up to 6 laps and then back down. I told everyone to keep their paces under control until the last solo lap, and then let loose. One of the guys timed each person's last lap, and I did mine at an 8:40 pace. Too bad I couldn't possibly hold that for more than 1/12 mile. So today I did 3/4 mile on my own, and 3 miles worth of ladders with the group for a total of about 9.8 for this morning.

Have a greta time with what is left of your Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I will be honest...I am not going into this with any confidence.  I'm just going to try to take it easy at the start and see

how I feel at the half...if I make it that far...it is raining, after all.

Come back and tell us about your race Mike. I'll bet the rain made you run faster!

Enjoy that warm weather Marj and Henry. Methinks you're in for a shock when you get back next week!

Lots of great activity here this morning. Like Slo, my running group and I did about 5.5 miles this morning. It was actually quite nice - a little snow falling, no wind and comfy temps around 33°. It's supposed to get quite nasty here the next few days, and I feel sorry for (and I can't believe I'm saying this) for the poor Vikings fans who have to sit outdoors in brutal temps to watch that game tomorrow.

All signed up for the Cellcom half and excited to meet everyone coming to visit.  I'm going to do my best to follow their training schedule and see how I do.

DS#1 and DIL got an accepted offer on a house they wanted yesterday! Closing March 1, they'll have a month to paint, fix and move before they have to be out of their duplex. Will and Ben already have their bedrooms picked out. Nicholas could care less!

Going to see the "Hateful Eight" this weekend. This should be interesting....

evanflein

Mike did great! I know he'll say "Meh" but seriously, he ran a great race and that's not even counting the weather and the *ahem* misdirection. Good job!

Yay on the new house, Jlynne, especially if they have time to paint and fix up. Yay on the new GC, Starr! Yes, would be nice to have the birthday before the herd the next day.

The talk of troubles in the pail reminds me of a work-life balance coach brought in to our building a few years ago to talk to employees about balance and time management. She said that it was ridiculous to expect people to "leave your troubles at the door, you're here at work to work!" because if people could do that, no one would pick their troubles back up on the way home! The trick is to learn how to deal with and manage those troubles, and she gave various tricks and things to try to do that. I remember some of it, but she's right. No one can truly "leave the troubles at the door." Although I do like Moebo's trick with her kids. Pretty clever.

As to the Vikings game... I'm feeling for the Seahawks who have to play in that. The Vikings should be used to it, right? I always wonder how teams do that. Like, how do the teams from sea level play well in Denver? I can barely walk up the stairs in Denver after I get there. That's about as much as I think about football. 

I didn't run yesterday after all. No biggie. I wanted to go a month before my next rest day, but it doesn't matter. I get weird ideas like that and it's no big deal to let it go. I just like seeing the solid row of bars on my running log summary.  Today is supposed to be much nicer temperature-wise, so a run will feel good rather than a challenge. I left my running stuff at work, so will just go to my office later and run from there.

Hi Friends!!

Week 2 of the Fudgcicle Race Series today - did a 3.4 mile easy pace loop before the race, raced almost a minute slower this week than last week, but the roads were icy, then did a moderate pace 3.5 loop after the race to get in a good 10 mile run today. My MVS running group hosted run was at a friend's house right in my town too so I drove over there to socialize!! Fun morning!!

Project empty the basement is in full force. My dh (with a little help from me) pretty much filled a dumpster with junk and old tv's that have been piling up in this house - can't believe how much we accumulated. I've also donated bags of clothing and blankets as well. Feels so good to be purging!!

Have a wonderful weekend friends!! Hope MikeE checks in soon!!

denise