Masters Running

Welcome March, the Tuesday daily (Read 40 times)

Mariposai

Just a quick post to get the conversation started.  The Easy Pacer and I are at the New Orleans Airport waiting for our flight back home.  We have five fun filled days here with the Twocats. Our biggest memory maker being the 26.2 rock and roll miles we were able to enjoy here.

The Easy Pacer is mighty pleased with his finish time and so am I.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai and everyone to follow.

Mariposai, congrats to you, EP, and Twocat on doing a great job and having fun in your races in NO! What a surprise to see TC running the marathon after so much injury time off - proof that building a good base does pay off!

Thanks for giving me a break yesterday, Marj. And congrats on your 15-miler around the Charles. It's a bummer about Shape Up being a week after Boston this year 'cause we'll likely miss Aamos.

I hope Stumpy, WC, Enke, and C-R are feeling better today.

Good cooking and good running, AAmos. Good story about MAWF too.

Congrats on hitting 200 for Feb, Evanflein!

Seems like you read more than your share of sad stories with your transcription, Leslie. And it is a real shame that too many people don't appear to have the drive/desire to get out of the mess they are in.

Thanks for the repost about Deez's son, Robin. It is a very scary situation, and I wish him a quick and full recovery.

Heat and hills are never my favorite combination either, RCG. Bummer about the Wyoming trip and RS's calf. I hope friend Bob can do some magic with your flying fears.

That 'parts store' would do a good business, Starr! I'm glad you got some good runs in. Sad story about Joe...

I hope you had a good run yesterday, Tammy, and that David got off to a good start with tennis.

I'm glad your time off paid off, LaT, and that you are feeling better.

Congrats Mike! It's a double bonus to get an award for something that you love doing It's great that there is always a positive pay-off for you and the kids you work with. Well-earned!

I'm glad you're feeling better and running again, Rhoon.

Welcome back from vacation, Steve. Start planning the next one.

Jlynne, I guess I should explain that I work for the company that DW started 25 years ago. So, whenever I have BWB, it is always a good time. We're usually on different schedules in the morning (I leave for work at 7 to cover the early shift), so having breakfast together gives us morning time to catch up.

6.4 RW mile this morning in relatively mild temps (upper 30s), and under clear skies with a half moon still high overhead. The tough part was dealing with the winds, which were gusting to around 30mph. The tail wind was nice - the head wind, not so much.

Have a greta Tuesday - and don't forget to vote if this is your Primary day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

... as are we

Rest day for me, but a quick drive by "hello" between voting and work

Happy Trails!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So what were they, Mari?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike--We know you do it because you love it.  Nothing wrong with someone noticing it, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning Mariposai. Congrats to you and the Easy Pacer on another marathon, and safe travels home.

So TwoCat - how about a few more details on running a marathon without training?  And a belated happy birthday. Safe travels to you and your DW as well.

Healing vibes to Deez' son and hopefully he's recovering and out of the hospital soon.

Welcome back from vacation Steve!

Congratulations Mike for an award that you weren't expecting but was well deserved. Just your presence on Saturday mornings to motivate and encourage those kids was amazing, not to mention your loyalty for showing up every week.

The posts about alcohol and drug addiction the last few days have really hit home with me. My ex-husband is in the hospital after getting drunk and falling on some ice in a parking lot, breaking his shoulder in the process. He has 12 year-old twins with his second wife (they, too, are divorced) and there are a lot of horrible stories coming out about his drinking problems. Right now he's going through alcohol withdrawal in addition to the broken shoulder and he's not doing well. My father was an alcoholic, and watching someone go through DT's is beyond painful. My oldest son went up to see him last night and his father hardly recognized him. He's only 63 years old and if he doesn't stop drinking and get in a rehab program, he'll probably be dead before too long. After losing my father and my sister's son to alcoholism and watching two other nephews and now my ex suffer from this disease, it makes me incredibly sad. And there's no way to help these people - until they want to help themselves. None of them are there yet...

5.25 miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weights and core for me this morning.

Embrace your health today.

,,,Congratulations mikeE//.......you've definitely earned it.......

nice to see LT and rhoon sticking with it

=========

..yep

SEC Tuesday here too,

we probably won't get to see

a Reporter wrestled to the ground,

but I plan on tripping over something just to liven the mood

on a Serious Note,

also

plan to race a ThunderStorm to the Y to get in a PoolRun

Swimmers are Funny that way

==============

.......RCG//........I agree,

some friends want me to help out at our Rescue Mission

but

after 30-years of taking care of their meds

(and getting

9-break-ins in a single year)

Logically I know it wasn't THOSE people who are there now,

but

Emotionally I have a Bad Reaction to Drug Abuse and Alcoholism

it's a difficult commitment

for me to make

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

37F

calm

6.25 miles around ESH and New Town. 57 minutes 45 seconds. The rocket scientist aborted the run at the half mile mark. Calf started tightening, test drive = fail.

Tricia and Sonya took off (they did not run the Colonial Half on Sunday)

Carol overslept and did not run this morning.

Bill tried and failed to catch up with Tricia and Sonya.

Apparently, Bob was going to run with me but gave up when I ran out of sight. (Bob ran a terrific sub-2 hours on Sunday at the Half)

Bill found me and ran a few miles with me. He also had a good half on Sunday AND ran the DOG Street Fun Run last night!

So I finished my run and went and voted.

Nancy and Matt: I stalked you on the marathon website and found your results and photos. You two look fantastic!  And what a great time for your effort.  I admire you both. Now I am going to stalk the Easy Pacer's time and photos!

Thank you to everyone for sharing your views regarding the substance abuse epidemic that plagues our nation. I doubt there is one singular cause for this explosion of addiction but, there are several glaring ones. I think the primary way to stem this is a big push for prevention. Sadly.

Jay, I didn't realize your DW was the Boss. Breakfast (BWB) makes more sense now.

Marge, I am impressed with your 15 miles!  Run on!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Sayhey! MM#130

What Rosie said, about addiction, marj's run and Jay (I didn't know that either).  So spill the NOLA results already!

I'd just add that many of my former clients who were addicts had a great deal of insight into their problems.  Many cross-addicted, e.g., my very smart, funny alcoholic lady who cleaned up when she got pregnant only to come back to my caseload with a gambling addiction.

Mike, I had a boss once who was a trained Vocational Rehab Counselor.  I'd done something with my clients (that was in the working with adults with disabilities phase of my career) in the evening and she credited me with work time for it.  "But I really enjoyed it!" I explained.  "It was fun!"  She responded: "it's ok to like your job, Amy.  You still get credit for the hours you spent."  Wise woman.

How do you NEnglanders feel about Watertown?  And their cops?  I feel I could really get behind this; I remember watching the Watertown cops, along with their colleagues from all over, put themselves on the line in 2013.    And of course, it's next to Cambridge, where we could hang afterwards, and the start time is a very civilized 10 am: https://racewire.com/register.php?id=5942        Let me know.  (It's only about 4.5 miles from my hotel.)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How do you NEnglanders feel about Watertown?  And their cops?  I feel I could really get behind this; I remember watching the Watertown cops, along with their colleagues from all over, put themselves on the line in 2013.    And of course, it's next to Cambridge, where we could hang afterwards, and the start time is a very civilized 10 am: https://racewire.com/register.php?id=5942        Let me know.  (It's only about 4.5 miles from my hotel.)

grins,

A

Since you obviously don't want to spend an extra week with us up north, this sounds like a very good option.  I used to work and live in Watertown, so the route looks familiar.  Of course, with AGs stopping at 60+, it  means I'll likely be competing against fast 70 YO's .  But I'll give it a shot anyway.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - no one here is surprised - that award is well deserved!

Mariposai and Easy Pacer and Twocat - well done!!

4 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Okeedokie then, stumpy mi amigo!  Let's hope henrun's knee allows him to join in; marj?  LaT?  Jay and Robin??  It's a flat course, y'all!!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

I just wanted to add my congrats to Mike for the well deserved award!  Glad the award ceremony is on April 2nd, not April 1st! 

My knee feels much better today, but not good enough to run.  I may try a walk.

Happy March!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Don't forget Denise.  And anyone else in town for that other race, too.  we want to be all inclusive here.

Okeedokie then, stumpy mi amigo!  Let's hope henrun's knee allows him to join in; marj?  LaT?  Jay and Robin??  It's a flat course, y'all!!

Mariposai

Ok, by popular demand,  here are some stats.  A race report to follow once we are back home. I at the Denver airport for an hour right now.

Easy Pacer: half marathon,  2:09. He smashed his expected time. He ran strong and came 89/249 in his division. I am proud of him. This was,his first half marathon.

Mariposai and Twocat: 4:31. I came 41/192 in my division and Twocat came 58/125 in his division. I am still amazed on how well twocat did with no training at all since December.  We were very smart in implementing our race strategy from the get go and that paid off. By the way,  I too was pleasantly surprised that he decided to accept my invitation of running,  dancing, and walking for a little bit every mile of the race course. We had such a fun time. Joking, sharing stories and laughing the whole way.

More later, with some pictures.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The Easy Pacer is mighty pleased with his finish time and so am I.

whoopee!

Congratulations MikeE.
                                I bet a bunch of your appreciative runners’ll be there.
                                We’ll be honoring you vicariously too.
                                Deezie - one of the problems of getting old is wondering why you’ve made it this far when when flu-and-pneumonia, etc. that’re supposed to worry us strike out at someone who’s not even thirty years old. Adding Steven to the weekly prayer-outs that are getting longer and longer.
                                Erika - of course, we didn’t even know what heroin was in those days, especially those of us involved in sports, but too many high school athletes are among those losing their lives to the addition nowadays. It’s apparently a substitute taking over for the pain killers their doctors only prescribe for limited use only.
                                . = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hey Troy!  I even have been to Lake Hood!!  I sat in the RV while MrStarr went to some museum there.  I took a walk and watched the planes while finishing up the ice cream before we turned in the motorhome Smile

Rhoonie - did you get a float plane?
                                Starr - my DD and I still get a chuckle out of the secret ice cream cone
                                I got her probably at the same Qwik-Stop by Lake Hood
                                when she was five years old (1977).
                                What’s a guy to do when it’s too rainy and wet to want to cyclemute this morning?  Why, put on a light plastic poncho and jog-a-walk the five miles instead.  I’m used to the rafts of dozens of scoters starting to feel their oats, blue herons with wings spread motionless without going anywhere on the off-limits buoys along the floating bridges but, until this morning had never seen a block-long, moving  band of hundreds of Canada geese five or six geese deep.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)