Masters Running

Sunny Sat runs Aug 23 (Read 450 times)

The Jogger

Morning gang, just a quickie ( I always say that) Smile I wish my running was quick. Did the exact same hilly 5.33 as yesterday, took a pic with my phone which I will try to find on the phone and post. It was sunny with a nice breeze. Anyway 5.33 57:00 @ 10:42 pace AHR 156 74% That was 2mins 46 secs quicker than yesterday but 4 beats AHR higher. Good runa All Roy

King of PhotoShop

A quicker, cracker run for you Roy. I'm off to the Lake for a walk with the gang. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Larry, it's a tough ten-miler too. We won't hold you to any high standards or PR's. Remember, "Crim doesn't pay." Spareribs
        (groan) Big grin Roy - a quickie is better than nothing... Smile Wildchild ran topless! Truthfully Carolyn, when it’s hot, go with what’s comfortable. I see lots of people of all shapes and sizes out there in sports bras and shorts, and very few of them qualify as underwear models – they’re just regular folks, trying to beat the heat. And you have a lovely figure – I can’t imagine anyone being offended. Fitness center this morning (Erika, still no one at the front desk), mixing it up: 20 minutes elliptical 10 minutes crossrobics machine 1 mile run on the treadmill 35 minutes elliptical 1 mile run on the treadmill 10 minutes stationary bike What I love most about the gym is that I can read books while on the machines. My life is so busy these days, time for reading is a precious commodity. Today I divided my time between Dr. Andrew Weil’s Healthy Aging and Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (a gift from CNYrunner). Today’s agenda: soccer practice this morning, then the water park, and then a local Asian Festival after dinner. Maybe I’ll squeeze a nap in there somewhere…. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PDR's been reading audio books on her mp3 player -- she likes that. I haven't tried it yet. I think it would distract me but she says she's still very aware of her surroundings. "Easy" but sluggish 7 miler for me this morning -- the temps were fine at 63° - 68°F, but I felt I was running through sand the whole way. What's with that? 7.2 miles, 1:01, 8:30/mi, AHR 148 We had a greta dinner with hally and mariposai last night. They were kind enough to take the metro (the DC subway) and meet us halfway in Bethesda. We ate at a Rock Bottom, which is a small chain of brewpubs -- I don't know how far it extends, it's at least on the east coast. It was a fine time, filled with conversation about our work and our kids, and of course running (and biking).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

DickyG

Why did we get completely shut out in all the canoeing events? Didn't any of the mothers send their sons to summer camp? One of the things that has been bugging many of us is the fact that many of the competitors are not really from the country they represent...The Final Straw: During a men's beach vball game, Brazil was playing Georgia (originally they were supposed to play Alabama...not sure what happened). Anyway, all 4 players were actually from Brazil. The announcer called the Georgia (Bulldogs) guys a "rent-a-team". In all fairness, however, the guys from Georgia chewed tobacco and swigged 'shine during the entire match. After the (yawn) men's bball game, they switched to another event...I am not making this up...some girl comes out in a hot pink ballet costume with a pink ribbon in her hand..I immediately panicked because I thought NBC had preempted the Olympics in order to cover cheerleading tryouts. I am BEGGING for Tramps to call an emergency meeting of ROAR. Twocat:
            My DW has a tennis tournament to go to tonight with some friends of ours. It is a pretty good one that many use as a warm up for the US Open. I hope she has fun.
            Is that the Pilot Pen tourney?...if so, pretty good field. Carolyn:
            I think the athletes at the Olympics have a lot of class for how they deal with on-air interviews right after their races. The announcers are such doofuses! "How do you feel about dropping that baton?" It shows real class to answer coherently and show team spirit, and not assign blame or tell the interviewer what you really think about their lame questions.
            Very well said...and I assume you'll be posting pix of your semi-nude run? Ribs:
            Nothing worse than trying to run up a steep hill and having a guy right behind you singing Disco Duck. File that tactic away somewhere DickyG.
            About all I can do is file it away...if you've looked at my daily run posts, there's no way I could run up a hill and breathe, much less sing...hmmm...I do have an old boom box...and I do have Disco Duck on a CD...hmmmm. Glad to hear you're in better spirits, pal. Enke: Your HMP improved by about 30 seconds/mile...wtg! Jeanne:
            promptly hit my first drive into the water.
            I bet if you looked in the water close enough, you saw about 99 of my drives sitting next to yours. Dave59: Go get 'em... Roy: Good run, man...you're gettin' good in your old age... Ran a slow 4 miles on a pretty flat course..didn't worry about my time too much...just wanted to run the entire distance without walking. Did 37:44 (9:26) but ran the whole course. 22 miles for the week which is 2 miles more than normal...overall, decent week. Golf today & tomorrow.. DickyG
              Roy - a quickie is better than nothing... Smile
              So are we talking running her or what...you know I've been reminded a few times that this IS a running forum! Wink Didn't get a chance to post yesterdays run so here it is: Friday - 8.17 Miles - 1:10:48 (8:39) Avg HR 124 Max HR 138 - 84 degrees and 51 % humidity, a nice easy run. Saturday - 8.22 Miles - 1:05:03 (7:55) - Avg HR 130 Max HR 153 - 71 degrees and 79 % humidity. 9:01 - 8:14 - 8:00 - 7:55 - 7:50 - 7:46 - 7:23 - 7:21 - 1:29 - this was a nice progressive run on a beautiful sunny morning. We finally have a nice stretch of weather forcasted for this week and I'm on vacation until the Tuesday after Labor Day. Lot's of yard work to catch up on as we have our annual family gathering scheduled for next Saturday at the house. Looks like a few of us will be gathering to watch the men's marathon at 7:30 this evening...go Ryan Hall! Big grin
              DickyG

We had a greta dinner with hally and mariposai last night. They were kind enough to take the metro (the DC subway) and meet us halfway in Bethesda. We ate at a Rock Bottom, which is a small chain of brewpubs -- I don't know how far it extends, it's at least on the east coast.
                Outstanding pic...you guys look terrific! Have been to that Rock Bottom a few times...cool place. #1 daughter lives in Chevy Chase & goes there all the time. DickyG
                  8 cruise miles this morning...7:38 pace...showered and changed into second set of running clothes to meet up with the local club in an hour or so...prolly just 5 or 6 easy with the club...then breakfast!!!
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    Rest day..well kinda of I have to clean the house, do laundry and clean the garage!!! Moving to a condo at the end of September and I have to downsize (actually looking forward to doing that). Will run two hours tomorrow at least... Take care everyone. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

17 agonizingly slow miles this morning. It was already 73 degrees with high humidity when I stepped out the door at 6 a.m. Filled my water bottle and took money to buy a G2 along the way back. Overall 11:54 pace with 157 avg. HR. I feel sort of defeated running (and walking) at such a slow pace - so I keep reminding myself of the weather conditions and hopefully the next one will be cooler and quicker. Anyway . . . I got it done. I'm anxious to watch the men's marathon tonight. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Nice pic of Mariposai, Hally, and the Beers…oh, and PDR and WRFB, too. Wink What I’ll miss most when the Olympics are over are Dicky’s rants the day after. Priceless. No run for me today. I was up late trying to get caught up processing all the new ROARS membership applications. “Synchronized diving” created a real surge in applications but the tsunami started when they broadcast “rhythmic gymnastics.” (BTW, I hear they’re adding pole dancing to that event next time around.) Speaking of Olympics, if you want some unique perspective on the achievements of different countries, check out the medal count sorted by population, GDP, GDP/population, etc. Very interesting. It's a reminder that there’s a lot more going on at the Olympics than just individual talent and effort. http://www.symworld.com/medals/index.php?sort=totalnormal

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Last night I finally had the chance to meet the Beers!! What a sweet couple they are, just one minute in their presence is enough to love them right away. I think they are the sweetest couple I have ever met. It sure was a lot of fun testing out beers under their guidance. That Ribs... he is something else...when I talked to him on the phone last night, he did so much sweet talking that before I knew it I was there singing a serenade to him in the middle of this bar...at the end...he said to me that I owed him dos cervezas...man, you can not please that man. Two hours of running this morning on the Mall. Now I will go to visit a few more museums before I head out to the airport. I will flight back home tonight. This has been a great week, both for my professional and personal life. Hally has been a great company to hang out with. She is great in the forum, but she is greater yet in person. What a pleasure to have met her this week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great picture WRFB!! WoW!! I had trepidations about this run. Supposed to be 16 miles with 12 at MP and I wanted to do some big hills but not just a climb up and then back down so I chose an out and back route that gives 250+ ft of climb and 8.54 miles total. By running this twice I get a good hilly workout. My goal was to try for 8:00 pace (MP) by maintaining a heart rate of 160 bpm. First out and back (8.54 miles) came in at 1:08:17 (8:00 pace!!) Drank 32 oz poweraid and back out Second out and back (8.54 miles) came in at 1:07:56 (7:57 pace!!).. negative split! Total: 17.08 miles in 2:16:12 (7:58 pace AHR 160) Woohoo.. all at MP!! ETA: Elevation profile: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/lateboomer/17mileMPKerleyhills.jpg I'm really happy about this one so here's the details. Can you see the hills? Split Dist. Time Pace AHR Split 1 1 Mile 8:41 8:41 152 Split 2 1 Mile 8:29 8:29 157 Split 3 1 Mile 8:47 8:47 161 Split 4 1 Mile 8:00 8:00 161 Split 5 1 Mile 7:49 7:49 159 Split 6 1 Mile 7:41 7:41 161 Split 7 1 Mile 7:12 7:12 160 Split 8 1 Mile 7:40 7:40 160 Split 9 0.54 Miles 3:58 7:20 159 Split 10 1 Mile 8:09 8:09 154 Split 11 1 Mile 8:05 8:05 158 Split 12 1 Mile 8:47 8:47 161 Split 13 1 Mile 8:09 8:09 159 Split 14 1 Mile 7:47 7:47 160 Split 15 1 Mile 7:50 7:50 162 Split 16 1 Mile 7:23 7:23 162 Split 17 1 Mile 7:46 7:46 164 Split 18 0.54 Miles 3:59 7:22 166

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wonderful morning out there today but warming up fast. 6.2 miles w/DW in 1:03:40 then I did 3.8 in the the neighborhood for 10 miles in 1:39 DW going to golf league outing. It's the last hooray for the season with 18 holes instead of 9. So I will entertain her out of town cousins who came in for FIL's funeral, they like me better anyway Wink Thanks for sharing the photo WRFB Cool Nice run Perch! Have a Wonderful Day Everyone !!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

The Jogger sounds like a nice run. Spareribs glad to hear you seem to be back on the recovery track. Wishing you well. Holly S. actually what you should like best about your gym is that it is apparently FREE! Smile WillRunForBeer nice pic! Sounds like you all had a great time. One guy and three gals! I am sure jealous! Evil grin DickyG yep it was the Pilot Pen. She had a great time. Good week getting in 22 miles. I believe they are considering adding square dancing to the next Olympics. Have you heard anything? Big grin mainerunnah I had totally forgotten about the men's marathon tonight! What am I going to do? We are going to a dinner party at 7! Help! Oh yea, nice looking progression run. hopeful4ever long runs are always tough. Sort of why they are on the schedule. But in high humidity they are really tough. On the bright side it will no doubt make the marathon seem a lot easier. Tramps in case DickyG has no news on the upcoming Olympic square dancing competition I am wondering if you do? perchcreek 17 miles at MP! [Editor: Twocat has fainted away. Hold on we will see if we can revive him.] Ok, they managed to revive me. Mariposai sounds like a great run. I hope your flight back is uneventful and your luggage manages to arrive at the airport with you! Sarge nice 10K with your DW and a double digit total for you for the day. Twocat I am totally ecstatic about my race! I beat, yes finally(!), beat one of my times from last year! The race was 9.37 miles (again, I DO NOT set these courses up I just run them) and I knocked 39 seconds off my time from last year! I also managed to beat one of my local "rivals" for the first time this year! Big grin Anybody who doubts how important weight is to race times should see my home log. (I do not log my weight here at RA where everybody can see it. What you think I am that dumb! Big grin) Last week I started the race 5 pounds heaver than this week. It sounds like that is impossible but it was the result of a two day eating binge from two BD celebrations. This week I took it off and then some. The result? In last week's 8.44 mile race I ran a 6:55 pace, and this week in a longer race a 6:49 pace. Ok back to spending the day happy as a clam! Good runs all! MTA: Can clams be happy? Do they even have anything one might call a brain? [Editor: Not after you steam them and dip them in butter. Twocat: True but they sure do taste good after that!] Who thought of putting happy and clam into an expression anyway?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/