Masters Running

Divechief - We're waiting on a Maui Marathon RR (Read 339 times)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Inquiring minds want the lowdown, the skinny scoop, the whole encalada and nothing but the truth.. Big grin Come on Dave spill the beans.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

evanflein

Thanks, Mike, for posting this! I was thinking this was needed while out on my run today. Come back to find you did it! C'mon Dave... How'd it go? What'd you do? Who'd you see? How was the weather? What'd you wear? How is Arf?? We want details!!! Big grin
      arf

MM #405

Hi Erika Big grin and Mike too..thanks for thinking of us. I am doing GREAT! We had a short but awesome trip! I saw a WHALE!! Shocked Dave said he'll post a short report, and post some pics...we had a fantastic time at a luau the night before we ran arf

Maniac 505

OK, here it is. the original plan was to spend a week, plans changed and it turned into a whirlwind weekend. We ended up staying at the Pioneer Inn, the closest hotel to the Banyon tree. the world famous 150+ year old Banyon tree fills a whole city block, the aerial roots put down "trunks" all over the block. but it is all one HUGH tree You have never seen anything like it, and you will never forget it. The night of arrival, we enjoyed the feast at Lele The reviews say this may be the best Luau on the island but the protein loading might not be the best marathon prep Shocked 4:00 AM we caught the bus to the start. before the race, the opening ceremonies were an interesting chant by the royal Maui canoe club. OM MONI PATMI HUM clap your hands, rub your hands, bow to Hale-akala, repeat five times. still way before sun up, and a bit cold. then, the race director said there was a problem. a car severed a power pole 6 miles from the start. the cops wouldn't let us run the course. he could either re-route us and give us a marathon distance run, but no aid stations for about 10 miles or he could add a mile but keep most of the aid stations. he wisely chose the latter, and said welcome to the first annual Maui oceanfront Ultra The race started way before dawn. Arf took off way faster then I wanted to in a futile effort try to beat the heat. I mildly rolled my ankle in the dark, worried about it for a few hundred feet, then decided it was nothing. I caught arf maybe mile 5 and ran with her the rest of the way. the course was on the shoulder of a busy highway. think Valentines with a LOT of traffic!!! but it was scenic at mile 10 or so, we saw lots of people looking out to sea. we saw a whale broach close to shore we stopped and stared for a long time won't see that at many marathons! but, it was a long hot run, and we are glad we have Hawaii in the bag!! and it was a 27.2 mile marathon, with lots of walking Dave
            Great photos, and it looks so enviably warm there! Interesting marathon course. I supposed not too many people are running it for fast times so the extra mile didn't cause an uproar? You two look great!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

I've been to that banyan tree - very kewl! But Maui is a hot place to run, all year round I think. Beautiful photos, and thanks for the RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I've been to that Luau! And that tree! We have pictures of our kids crawling around in it when they were little. I love Maui... Cool whale sighting, too! Thanks so much for the pictures, they really bring the whole thing together. I'd love to do this race sometime. Is it really big? How many runners? (Arf is as gorgeous as ever, and Dave you look sooo serious in that Luau shot!) Smile

Maniac 505

I learned that there is only one big marathon in the islands each year, and this wasn't it. a few of the 200 or so marathon runners had run a 50K the day before!!! a 20 miler, 1/2 marathon, 10K and 5K were also offered, maybe a total of 400 runners in all events. Dave
                  xor

Arf took off way faster then I wanted to in a futile effort try to beat the heat.
                    yeah. I've tried that before. Heh. Sounds like you had fun. And whales are always always cool. I hope you got to meet some of the Hawai'ianiacs.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Dave & Arf, you two look wonderful. But, Dave is just way to serious. Great pictures. Sue and I are doing the "other" Maui Marathon in Sept. I don't expect it will be any cooler than yours.. Dead Now we have a couple of spots to hit there. Looks like you had fun.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

arf

MM #405

Thanks you guys! Enke, no one seemed to be bothered by the extra mile tacked on...and Dave and I ran this one real slow, and we ended up smack-dab in the middle of the finishing times. We were amazed. Wildchild - yeah, i think it's hot to run there all year round...the heat made me feel really nauseous the last 4 miles but I managed not to hurl. Erika - so cool that you were there with the family! How old were the boys? SR - we had a ball,,,I told Dave I'd love to live there, it's like being on another planet. Mike...it WILL be HOT in September! I HIGHLY recommend the MaiTais for carb-loading purposes! Please say hi to Sue for me, I hope I see you 2 in Seattle sometime this year. arf
                        evanflein

Arf, our boys were pretty young the last time we were in Maui, but they've been to Hawaii (one island or another) about 5 times... Alaskans go to Hawaii quite a bit. Sure wish you were coming to Seattle in June... what will it take to run a race together, grrl?
                            It sounds like a good time Dive and Arf. Congrats on your "ultra" and enjoying the visit to Maui. TomS
                              Short and to the point with lots of pictures Big grin I would love to make it there at some point. Thanks for sharing. I learn so much here besides about running. Banyon trees , new to me but they look really cool. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

What a beautiful experience it must have been. The pics are great!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM