Masters Running

12.27.15 five days before (Read 33 times)

mrrun

No run today for me although it's the last warm day in New England this year.  Need to recover from excess mileage (for me) in the last few days.

No specific shout-outs because I can't match the experts on this site although there have been some great pics and activities over the last few days

Happy runs, walks, and other cross-training and ((( anyone who needs it))))

Enjoy your Sunday!

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Hi Marj - you're up early - better to enjoy the whole day!

It was great to read how everyone spent their post-Christmas Saturday yesterday, and to see that Mariposai is enjoying snow time (and taking great pics) with the family, that TW avoided a blige pump workout, that TSelbes survived the kids and grandkids, that RCG is enjoying the trail company of King Leonidas and watching DS1 and DS2 transition to adults and figure out their lives going forward, that Holly's DD discovered the magic of Lava Lamps (I'm amazed they are still made and sold), that Econo is enjoying the view of the coast and mountains in Tacoma, that Mike confirmed that runs with Ryan are more fun, that Twocat is being good about letting his Achilles heal, that Leslie is converting Heidi to a trail runner and companion runner, that Wildchild continues to have a great time in Mexico, that Deeze continues to live life to the fullest (but it sucks that her DH got laid off on Christmas Eve), and that Tet has slowed down enough after too many hours of travel to enjoy a run with the Joyfuls.

I hope Ribs and family and friends escaped harm/damage from yesterday's Texas tornadoes.

We got home from our holiday journey at about 5 yesterday afternoon. The cat was very happy to see the return of her slaves. We had a nice evening while we planned for the arrival of relatives in a few days for New Years.

Just a scootch over 8 RW miles in a steady rain in this morning darkness. The newspaper delivery guy slowed down just enough to question my sanity (and rightly so). I told him I don't have a sanity clause... Everything I had on was soaked by the time I got back, so I had to change to dry clothes before I stretched. And the post-stretching hot shower was a wonderful treat after my soggy perambulation.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

What Jay wrote!  For true, really love everyone checking in and the photos, too.

Rosealah, you think we have colleges down here in the gator swamps??  At least we have indoor plumbing now.

(Check out FGCU (Dunk City to NCAA fans), FLSW, and Ave Maria.  UF has lots of campuses.)

14 this am with the gang, 3 bridge RTs w/ a remarkable sunrise.  Since I got out earlier today than I did yesterday, ran faster and enjoyed it much more.  It was only 74 when I finished.

Got tickets for a March Spring training game, our holiday present.

Time to mosey on home; I usually go out for coffee Sunday's as DH takes them off and sleeps in a bit.

Good Sundays to you!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwalker No running in the rain!© Applies to any outdoor activity other than going to the office.

fatozzig you are indeed a saint!

deez4boyz a drag about your DH's job ending early. I hope he gets a new one shortly after the New Year. Well, you may as well have him off to enjoy the week with the family!

Econo given the reports out east, and Mariposai's pictures, I am surprised you are not out running in several feet of snow.

For December the weather in CT is downright balmy! My DW has taken advantage of it by running outside the past few days. I woke up and debated going out to run as well. But, that Achilles has me spooked and I do not want to push it too soon and set it back. The end result was an hour on the elliptical. I suppose the upside is that I am catching up on a number of shows I taped.  Maybe I will try running tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a scootch over 8 RW miles in a steady rain in this morning darkness. The newspaper delivery guy slowed down just enough to question my sanity (and rightly so). I told him I don't have a sanity clause...

I got in 4.3 miles outside before the steady rain drove me back home.  I quick-changed and hopped on the TM for 2.7 more miles to make it 7 miles total, then did about 35 minutes of Legs and Back.

How quickly the holiday weekends go.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Deez - Will be praying that your DH finds another job soon.  And thank goodness that woman wasn't hurt worse!  I always feel for the drivers in that type of situation, as well.

Jay - It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.  Good on you for not letting the rain stop you.

Posie - Has it really been 5 years since you had both your boys with you at the same time?  Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wild - Tulum is beautiful.  We've only been there once, but loved it.  And how fun to be taking a Mexican cooking class!

Anybody heard from Ribs and family?

I know I'm forgetting people, but I gotta get outta here and to church.

Rest day for me.  I have a left calf that is really sore and has been for a few days.  Hopefully giving it a good rest will get it uncranky.

Enjoy your Sunday ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Finally, a run to report.

61 degrees

9 miles. Average pace: 9:30. Enjoyable Sunday morning run with Carol, Sonya, Billy, and Ralph. A little too hot and humid for us. We all prefer cooler temps, especially in late December. I wonder what January will bring?

Hi Deez, sorry to hear about DH's job. Hopefully, something good will come his way soon. I am glad you were at 4pm mass on Christmas Eve. The r.s. always parks cars for the 4pm mass here, the K of C are in charge. So we went to 7pm. and there was a brass quintet, it was beautiful.

As with Mariposai and Dee, we were fortunate to have all three of our offspring and our SIL with us on Christmas day. Plus some of my sisters and MamaRosa and a niece and a couple nephews. We had 14 here for dinner that evening. MamaRosa was delighted. She is 79.5 years old now and going strong; still bowling, playing bridge, knitting, and hosting book club. Quite a busy lady.

Aamosy, as noted above.... we do prefer cooler temps so I doubt we will end up in Florida when he retires. Also, wherever we go will have to have engineering.

This year's Bowl Tournament is not going well for me. I am 1 for 3. Who knew Nebraska would beat UCLA? And why did Duke have to prevail?  Of course my only Win is due to the Hokies. And if that game had been any longer, I am unsure if I would even have that W.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

Hello everyone and belated Merry Christmas greetings! We had a good day here, just hanging out, getting ready to have family over for dinner. Family was abbreviated though, with my brother and his family in Edmonton (SIL's home), sister home sick, and DS2 still in Honolulu. So, my parents, DS1 and DIL2B (I guess that's what we call her) came over around 5 for grilled chicken (whole chickens, smoky grilled beer-can style), butternut squash risotto, salad, broccoli and DH's famous banana bread for dessert. Yum. Then opened a few presents, just fun stuff really since our recent travels pretty much tapped the bank. Ran 4.1 miles on the TM before finishing dinner prep.

Deez, so sorry to hear about your DH getting laid off on Christmas Eve. Would it have killed them to do it on Monday? Geeez. And glad that lady will be ok, I agree the driver probably feels awful. Not a good Christmas experience for him, either!

So good to see Rosie back here! You have been missed, dear fren! Hey, I realize this is like someone telling me "I have a cousin in Alaska, maybe you know him?" But.... my uncle has been with Nasa for many, many years. I wonder if Ralph knows Robert F. Benson? That's about all I can offer as far as where he's worked (Goddard Space Center), but was just wondering. Here's a story of his work at Goddard, and a story of him from when he was 21 (about 65 years ago??). He's my dad's baby brother and lives in Maryland.

As for kids not knowing what they'll do after college, it's not at all unusual. My DS1 will graduate with a B.S. in Biology this spring, and is unsure what comes next. He doesn't want to go directly to grad school, but probably will soon. I graduated with a B.S. in Agriculture, went to work at Nordstrom for over 6 years then at UA where I'm in HR.... Who can tell, right?

Mariposai, I don't run in loose deep snow. There isn't much I hate more, actually. But I do like a nicely plowed, packed path and can usually crank out 8:30's pretty easily. If it gets so hard that I can't maintain at least 9's, I go elsewhere. Great to have your sons back home and great pictures of skiing!

Econo, we were in Seattle yesterday and Mt. Rainier was great! Nice run for you!

I heard from the Rib Cage, and they're fine. The storm damage was east of them.

Our temps should be getting warmer today and really warm for this week. Now, remember, "really warm" is relative, but we could see upper 20's and low 30's this week. Just as long as it doesn't rain!! I'm looking forward to getting some miles in with no scheduled work this week and no snow in the forecast. I don't think I'll hit 2,500 for the year, but it'll be close and I do believe a PR year anyway.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Deez--I feel really bad for your DH, as well.  Working for a carpentry contractor, I see this happen all the time.  As much as I complain about my job and the crap I have to put up with from my boss, he works very hard and puts in a lot of time trying to get jobs to keep his guys busy.  It's a tough business.  We push and push the guys to get their work done to make our deadlines...and we reward them by laying them off.

So...I finally got the guts to ask Debbie if I could sign up and fly out for the Mississippi Blues Marathon.  She gave me the okay.  So, I got on the computer to buy my plane ticket--they went up to $470!  There were $360 the last time I checked just a couple days ago.  Now, a marathon that I wasn't even sure if I really wanted to do, is very important to me.  I'm going to wait until later tonight and check again.  Then I'll check on Tuesday, too.

Anyway--I wimped out and ran 8 miles on the treadmill, today.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

...yep, nice to see Rosie checking in

,,,,,,however

if Ralph thinks he prefers COOLER temps,

be sure and see if he was recently hit on the head with a rock

if he wasn't

please hit him with one the next time he says that

==========

...but I digress....

cooler here too only 73 degrees (down from 77 yesterday)

60-min with trekking poles and trail boots,

this MIGHT

work on snow and possibly Ice............file under Famous Last Words....

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

So...I finally got the guts to ask Debbie if I could sign up and fly out for the Mississippi Blues Marathon.  She gave me the okay.  So, I got on the computer to buy my plane ticket--they went up to $470!  There were $360 the last time I checked just a couple days ago.  Now, a marathon that I wasn't even sure if I really wanted to do, is very important to me.  I'm going to wait until later tonight and check again.  Then I'll check on Tuesday, too.

Mikee!

We ran in Jackson in 2014. I ran the half and the rocket scientist ran the full. The very best national anthem ever played before a race. There we were all packed in getting ready to the start the race when it was announced that the anthem would be played by the flag to our left. On a small band stand there was a solitary musician. A scraggly looking young man with an electric guitar played ala Jimi Hendrix. A perfect rendition.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mariposai

The Highlight of this week is seeing RosedColoredGlasses posting again. I miss ya sistahh.

Leslie, yes, it has been 5 years. Our boys have been exploring the world at one time or another for the last  5 years...so we sure enjoyed having both of them together at our house this weekend.

Twocat, I am so sorry to hear that you can not enjoy your warm weather for running. Hang in there, buddie.

Aamos, I so enjoy your postings. Great 14 miles.

We have awesome snow around here...no time to run...just enough time to wake up and go out skiing. I know I can be in a sore trouble come my next marathon... but ...se la vi...I got snow to play with. LOL

Here is the Easy Pacer just crossing the coolest nature made arch.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Gorgeous snow, 'Posalina!!

2cat, the weather reports are true -- I just drove home to Oregon -- 7 hours of snow & sleet.  Just a couple of degrees cooler and it would have been a 14 hour commute back home.  All is well!

*Beaming*  My weekly mileage was 17.25.  Woot!  Getting in shape for a trail half marathon the 1st week of March.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

start OT football -

No time to post as I got a little scared when I came back late tonight after an eleven hour, non-stop, Monday afternoon meeting to check the yesterday’s football scores that happened this morning over here.  At first, it looked bad for my despis. . . I mean, beloved Seahawks who a true fan would never begrudge for squandering this year’s Superbowl on a pass play from the one-yard line with three downs to go that ignored one of the league’s leading rushers who even people who didn’t know anything about football knew should have been given the ball to walk in for the win instead of getting intercepted in the final seconds on the stupidest intentional pass play in the history of the game by a coach who is way too smart for that, . .  and, oh no, the score of Sunday’s game looked like they lost another key game, . . until I realized it’s Japan where cars drive on the wrong, writing goes from left-to-right so, business frequently people say the opposite of what they mean, etc. so, of course, the scores must be being reported backwards too. whew.

end OT football

ps - I’d go over to Omak too for a picture like that.

pps - no particular reason, jay, but what’s your daily PR for meetings, . . or have you had ‘em spilling into the next day?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I came back late tonight after an eleven hour, non-stop, Monday afternoon meeting

Whew!  I hope they took bathroom breaks, at least...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."