Masters Running

Sunday August 31 Daily (Read 40 times)

Tramps

We could use Erika’s hard frost around here today.  We’re ending the month with perhaps the nastiest running day of an otherwise mild summer.  Already near 80F at 6 am with 99% humidity when I headed out for a scheduled 18.  I took a flat route and drank extra fluids but still felt hammered out there.  I peeled my shirt off after a couple of miles, stayed near the water where there was a slight breeze, and managed 13 before calling it a day.  I’ve got a bunch of stuff to get done today and I didn’t want to be totally wiped out.  I was at that point of not being able to cool down at all.  Time to call it a day.

Of course, I would happen to come across a friend who was out bird-watching.  I stopped to chat for a minute and she was very gracious, not commenting on the fact that I was sweating like a pig and probably smelled like one too.  

Hope you have a great rest of the weekend.

Erika--no teaching this Fall; working with faculty.

Be safe. Be kind.

YIkes Tramps!!  That does kind of yucky for running but otherwise I love that weather!!  It was mid 60's in Boston when I went out for my run at 5:30 this morning before work.   Started off great but then plagues with GI issues that I won't get into it -- just know it was not pretty!!

Just saw Caroline's chart for the prime numbers -- I'm at 108.7 so I guess I'll be running another .3 when I leave work tonight!!

HOpe you all are having a great weekend!!  I am on my 3rd 12 in a row, have tomorrow off then back on for 2 more 12's Tuesday and Wednesday!!  Oh well - love my job!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - that kind of humidity just sucks the life out of a run.

Deez - you are amazing that you work those kinds of shifts yet still manage to get your runs in.

Yesterday I harvested about 12 cups of fresh basil from my garden, which has been producing quite a lot of basil this year.  I gave some to two of my neighbors and made pesto out of the rest, freezing most of it into cubes in an ice cube tray.  For dinner tonight I will be trying a new recipe - brown rice with pesto and pine nuts.  I use pesto occasionally to make pesto pasta with grilled chicken, or sometimes to add to heavy cream and make a creamy pesto sauce to drizzle over baked chicken, but with so much basil this year, I need some new recipes.  Ideas, anyone?

10 miles for me on the TM this morning because of the thunderstorms.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Tramps, that H&H sounds totally draining.  Hope you don't hate me if I post a picture from yesterday's 23 mile run up on the continental divide, where I was wearing a jacket and gloves!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I too have an abundance of basil from the garden Holly, and most of it goes into tomato salads. Or I will grab a handful of leaves, wrap them like a cigar wrapper and slice them thin and add to almost any vegetable dish.  Your ice cube tray approach is a great way to keep that basil in use all through the winter.  I'm allergic to nuts, and pine nuts are common in pesto, so when it's offered, I always ask if there are pine nuts in it.

I mentioned the other day that in Dallas this week is the Dallas Labor Day Regional Bridge Tournament, which runs for 11 days.  I took Friday off from work and played two sessions, then did the same yesterday.  My partner and I placed pretty high on Friday, then had a huge game in the morning session yesterday, and then it all caught up to me and I crashed in the afternoon, playing very poorly due mostly to mental fatigue. I simply couldn't count anything!  But we won several master points and I am overall satisfied with our play.

It was 80 degrees and very humid at 6:30 this morning when the Saint and I started, although certainly not as humid as Tramps' run. Wild's conditions were to die for! But we ran a very easy 10 miles, averaging 10:21 per mile, with our last mile at 9:26. So proud of her.

Today I'll cook, write, nap, shop for dinner and just relax, a great weekend so far.  Spareribs

Tramps, you ran shirtless and no photos for the ladies to enjoy? For shame!

Carolyn -- wish I'd been there to enjoy the weather and the spectacular scenery.

H&H must be the theme of the day, as it was 93% for a 6-mile loop around the lake at 8AM. Finished sopping wet and I was glad that the showers at the beachfront changing house are still open thru this weekend as it felt so good to shower and get into dry clothes before going out for breakfast.

Hope your Sunday runs are cooler and drier than mine was!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

I had one of those mornings where I woke up feeling kind of blue for no real reason.  Thinking about work and whether or not what needs to get done is possible.  I figured a run would help, and it did.  Took me a while to actually get my shoes on and get out the door, but I did have a nice pi run (3.14 miles).

Maybe that is a sign that Cindy and I should go to lunch at the Grand Traverse Pie Company where I can have some pie with my sandwich.  I will suggest it and see where it goes.

C-R

Great time at the game yesterday with my boys and FIL. Some minor storms but nothing of note. Got 6+ in with some friends from RA today and it was humid here too.

That's still a good workout Tramps.

Lots of herbs Holly. Nice.

Well, time to get lunch for the kids and work on laundry piles.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

I did have a nice pi run (3.14 miles).

Maybe that is a sign that Cindy and I should go to lunch at the Grand Traverse Pie Company where I can have some pie with my sandwich.  

Absolutely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Haven't read Saturday's daily, but heard on the news during my run that there was an earthquake just outside Fairbanks, over 5 on the scale.  Never having experienced that, wondering if you felt it at all, Erika?

Tramps, one of my running chums asked me about perfume this am as we ran over the bridge.  I replied it was probably my deodorant (given our H&H, I always am sure to have it on, stashing an extra with in my gear box by the door.)  He complained it was "strong."   OK, I''ll take note, but wouldn't you rather smell Tom's of Maine than Amy's  au naturelle??

Carolyn, you are such a champ in so many ways, and peekshures are one of the many.  Love it!

Tried something new; sandwiched in a 5K on my long run yesterday.  The race didn't start until 7:30 and it was 8 miles away, so voila, jogged over there easy, got in a faster warmup mile, ran the race, ate some real food (vs. gu), then ran home.  Made the run a lot easier.

[The 5K was small.  My 12 year old running chum won the whole thing on the female side; it was her birthday.  She's now 13 and has the go ahead from her coach to run a marathon, so quite a day for her.  Another running chum, lovely 29 year old PT who bakes us healthy treats for after Speedsters workouts, and I ran it in together.  She was 2nd and I 3rd and another Speedster was right behind us so she scooped the Grandmaster award.   Fun!]

Today I did 18 with fewer and faster breaks since yesterday was so chopped up.  Another beautiful sunrise over the river.   On to celebrate DH's birthday, which is Tuesday but we're not waiting.  I'm giving him a trip to a marathon.  He got in 14 on Sanibel Beach yesterday!!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Hey Amy! Yes, we felt the earthquake. DH was out on the deck and I was in the kitchen, and everything had a good rolling shake. It was centered about 45 miles from here, a little over 5 on the scale. That was around 7 p.m. We had another one this morning that woke me up at 4:24, I think that one was 4 something, close in location to the other one. We have earthquakes around here all the time, just usually not much you can feel. We don't have the infrastructure to cause problems in more heavily populated areas, and things are supposed to be built to withstand a good shake now and then. Mostly we shake up a bunch of moose and rabbits, I think. For the most part, they're kinda cool and give us something to chatter on about.

Tramps, I think I'd have bailed on the run before 13 miles. Good for you for sticking with it that long.

Sorry about all the H&H guys. I guess we can't order up our perfect conditions for our runs. Today was in the upper 30's when we got up. I'm just not quite ready for that.... It's currently almost noon and just barely 44° so I guess it's time to get ready to go. Capris, gloves and long sleeves....

9.1 miles to give me a prime number for the month's total - Wildchild's bad influence!  Second day of trails, this time the horse trails, but with running up those hills, my quads are aching right now.  But, zero knee pain, so hoping I can increase the volume now.

It was also very humid here, having rained on and off all night.  But nice at 59F.  Still, I felt like I was sweating buckets.  I would say like a pig, as Tramps did, but I really don't know if pigs sweat this much.  The T I had on was a bit thicker than some Tech T's and I swear, it was sopping down the front and heavy.

Amy - I think I'd rather smell deodorant than the perma-stink some of my tech Ts get after awhile.

Mr. C. is still abroad....sigh!  It's killing me.  I like this one a whole bunch.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY

Good afternoon running friends. Like I always say, you all are quite inspiring, even though I know I can't go out and mimic what you do...and then I saw what C- R is lining up for a 50th birthday celebration, and the wheels stated turning. Since I turn 50 in 3 weeks and I don't yet have a plan in place, I'll just put a little spin on it and run 50 5-milers before I turn 51.   Just training runs, not races.    Oh wait, that’s probably not anything to write home about, is it?   Sort of like lifting 1,000 pounds 5 times vs lifting 5 pounds 1,000 times.

Today was a gym workout day - upper back and rear of the shoulders with some core, plus stretching for 30:00.   Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Carolyn - does that bridge track the Continental Divide?

Labor Day Half Marathon.

It felt like 18m/m but, after maintaining a 12:30 pace in last weekend’s triathlon after more than an hour of cycling and the super-sprint (aka super whimp) 1/4 mile distance swim, I thought it would be worth trying to do the same for today’s annual Labor Day Marathon (albeit not on Labor Day for the first time).  In particular, maybe it would be a chance finally to beat my Ironman nemesi, . . I mean mentor who, though he’s still 12 years my senior (83-yo), has been besting me in races of all distances from 5K-to-marathon ever since he beat me by about three hours at the 1987 Ironman Hawaii. 
                              Italiana francesca dea was wrapping up Sunday training run and came by to start with us for about four miles to where she’d parked her car. Unfortunately, I could tell I wasn’t going to be able to keep up to her by the time we got to three miles.  However, her car wasn’t actually at four miles but turned out to be at nearly eight miles.  She is such an inspiration and, after 300 miles on an indoor track in Anchorage, Alaska earlier in the month, she said she is thinking about 310-miles running all the way across Tennessee!!!!!
                              The last five miles after she veered off were just hanging for dear life on to stay ahead of Dr. Feman and I ended up with an 11:50 pace (2:35) to beat him finally for the first time in 28 years. .
                              I had also vowed to myself to sign up for the Tunnel Lite Marathon in two weeks if I could maintain a 12m/m pace for the half marathon so I hope Oklahoma Paul makes it up here again but slows down enough to say “hello” when his regular start catches up to my early start.   Maybe I can find out why Opie doesn’t get up to the PNW much recently anymore.  After all, the Tunnel Marathons are just as downhill as the ones he likes in Utah.
                              Beating last year’s time by about 20 minutes, it was a great race today. 
                              Oh, did I mention that Dr. Feman’s slow time this year might have had something to do with him still being stiff-and-sore from having his car recently totaled by a negligent driver?  Oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Well Done!!  And don't worry about keeping up with Francesca, I can't keep up with her either.

Amy - what Enke said....

Erika - glad the shakers didn't do any damage.

Okay, my Pesto Brown Rice Pilaf recipe turned out so good, and was so easy, I will share it here.

4 cups cooked brown rice

1/2 cup pesto

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Salt to taste

Cook brown rice in chicken broth, then mix in pesto and toasted pine nuts and toss.  Easy, right!  And so good that even DH ate it!