Masters Running

Wednesday 4/8/15 Thunder-Boomer Workouts and runs (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

More storms here today, and a very loud one going on right now.  I grabbed a big umbrella to walk my elderly client outside  to her car and got drenched, even under the umbrella.  Have the heater-fan drying my pants legs even as we speak.

This time of year, these storms really make everything explode into bloom, and if you sit still for a moment, you can watch the grass grow it grows so fast.  By the weekend we will have forsythia and dogwoods and tulips and daffodils and the grass will be green and lush - I love it.

I was short in time this morning because I had to take DD to an FCA club meeting before school and then my stepdad to the airport before work, so I just did 1.5 miles on the TM and about 15 minutes of weights and core.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!  Keeping with the weather theme, no thunder boomers here, but northern wintered-out folks may be glad to hear the balance is starting to tip.  We're slated to hit 90 degrees later today with a 60+ degree dewpoint.

Well I refrained from whacking the bridge, although my initial foot falls felt rather thunderous.  Hard to get going, but glad I did.

I have a new/old one--I like how Steve described Tag being able to "refresh" himself on the trail run.   I'm going to revert to using "refresh" for those nature's calls.

Gee, weather keeps changing for April 20, go figure.     As does the weather for Somerville April 19. 

So 7 miles for me last night with 3 round trip bridge crossings, then one up to the top and back again.  8 and a bit this am.

Happy Wednesdays!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

On the train heading home and resting my knee. We did a short walk this am.

Aamos, this is New England , It's hard to forecast the weekend, let alone 11 days from now!!

TammyinGP

Loved the story Enke shared of her son wanting to run now. I wish when I was a kid, my PE class would have approached running in that fashion - slowing building up mileage to help kids actually LIKE running and WANT to do it. Instead we were told to run a lap on the track as fast as you can and I'd feel so sick, with practically the taste of blood in my mouth and hated running. That's probably one reason I never took it up til mid-life. 

David was up (well so were we then!) at 3:00 a.m., and is on his way to Portland (4+ hr drive) til Saturday for FBLA state competition. But they are doing several fun things as well. today they will stop south of Portland for a few hrs at the Family Fun Center, then hit the Science Museum in Portland this afternoon, then go to the Blazers v. Timberwolves game tonight. Tomorrow starts round 1 of his public speaking competition. top 10 (of 31 in his category) advance to finals on Friday. Saturday morning will be awards where he'll find out his state placement and if he's top 3 in state, he'll advance to Nationals in Chicago at the end of June.

So, since I've pretty much been up since 3:00 (never could really go back to sleep so actually feel zombie-like now), it's a good day for some intervals  . . . what was my coach thinking???  Only have 4x800 though, so not too terribly tough.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

No energy at all today!  Set out to run 4-5 and packed it in after 2.  I'll be fine tomorrow.

This picture has 3 famous people in it.  You have to name all three to win. Who are they?

Spareribs

C-R

I know the Ribs guy in the pic. He's pretty famous. The other two - not so much.

We had hail here this morning and now its sunny. I think we sent some of that storm in your direction Holly.  Ah well, if you don't like Indiana weather, wait a bit an it will change.

Hope your son has fun Tammy and great story about your enke.

Dropping DD off at airport for her first solo flight to the the grandparents. Yikes.

Last hockey game of the season locally tonight. Boys and I are going to watch the mayhem. Can't wait.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Galloway--Ribs--Yasso?

Henrun

Bart and Billy, of course.

King of PhotoShop

Poor Bart Yasso.  Only about 25 years younger than the man on the right.  Keep trying, and no stealing from FB. If you saw the answer there, no fair!  Spareribs

Dave59

I don't know who the people pretending to enjoy Ribs company are either. 

This morning it was 33° and rainy, so I did not run.  I thought I might later if it cleared up by lunchtime.  Then work just went into crazy mode.  My email was beeping and flashing at me every 15 seconds on a dozen different projects.  I just about lost it, but instead I turned off all forms of communication, got done what I was trying to do at work, and went for a 3-mile run.

So now I am feeling back to normal.  Work has also calmed down and I even had a meeting get canceled.

Henrun

I peeked at FB- I lose-still can't identify the guy in the middle??

...I knew the one in the middle, but I'm going with Butch and SunDance for the other two..........

..sorry I've been out for a while,

we have FEMA here working on all the Ice Storm  Damage to The Plateau Feb-March

and

I hurt my leg rather badly keeping my store open and Kitty Littering the Parking Lot every day of it

(we had a transformer explode

next to the store, blew out several light sockets,blue flames,

plus knocked off a piece of my sidewalk/<<<quite dramatic)

=======================

..but I digress.......

30-min poolrun yesterday,

30-min bikeride in lowest gear today

followed

by a 40-min poolrun, no belt, closed fists, deep end only

..if I could have Sweated, it would have been Perfect....

...............enjoy the Spring Showers, at least it ain't Ice.......

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

{{{Tom's Leg!!}}}  Hang in there, Tom.

Tammy - I agree re the running thing in school.  You're right in that nobody ever taught us how to progress correctly.  You either were a natural or you weren't.  I was in the "weren't" category for running or any sport.

I have no idea what else is going on here, and I have no idea who the two guyars with the guy in the middle of the three guys in that picture that was posted by somebody.

I'm still plugging along on my bike on its trainer - 30 min on Monday and 45 min last night with 3 min of hard thrown in the middle.  Tues was core/ST with very little lower body.  I have found that squatting irritates the hammies, even if it's not deep squatting.  I finally have a PT appt next week, but I am going to try an EZ mile tomorrow and see what happens.

We've had some great rain the last two days, and it's been cold enough that I believe there was some snow in the mountains, but obviously not enough to make a difference in the drought conditions.  My dad lives about 30 min south of us, and his little town is already going to water restrictions - 50 gallons per day - which, when your a single man living alone shouldn't be a problem so long as he doesn't take extended showers.

On another note, our dept secretary (27 years old) has been diagnosed with Stage 1 cervical cancer of an unknown type.  Her doc said he'd never seen a tumor like the one she has, and the local hospital lab couldn't identify it, so the biopsy's been sent down to Stanford.  It is very plausible that she will have to have a full hysterectomy, etc.  Thankfully, they have a daughter (18 mo. old), but they were thinking about trying soon for another child.  On top of that, her husband just lost his own mom to cancer a few months ago.  *sigh*  I'm trying to wrap my head around this and it's not even me dealing with it. Lots and lots of prayers for them.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bill, Ribs, and Joe?  I didn't look at Facebook.

Greetings from Ithaca. I was in Albany for most of the day at a meeting of colleagues and then headed here for a day with a client tomorrow. Thunder, lightning, and Ark-building rain. Mother Nature can be so dramatic! And I am not going to even think about April 20 weather until April 19 when I have to set out my gear. News of the bombing trial verdict broke just as I left my meeting today. wow.

The kiddo spent a part of his day in the tornado shelter at his dorm. Now that's something that Mr. CNYrunner and I didn't experience in college!

Loved Enke's story about her son and running. Good Stuff.

I caught the sunrise on Easter morning and had a great run around the reservoir (12 miles) before we headed out to Rochester to spend a couple days with my in-laws. MY FIL's birthday was Monday and my MIL's dementia from Alzheimers is quite severe now. We wanted to give him a semblance of a "normal" birthday gathering and spell him from the intensity of caregiving. We had a nice if not bittersweet time. Mr. CNYrunner found a book about the Selfridge airbase in Michigan where my FIL trained while in the Air Force (he also trained at Webb in Texas). He saw the cover and had tears in his eyes. I spent Saturday with super granny since we were going away for Easter and she was full of girlhood memories from 1918-1920. I am so very grateful that I bear witness to all this living history.

Okay, back to running....Monday's and Tuesday's runs were along the Erie Canal tow path and then I ran 9 miles with 4 at MP early this morning before I jumped in the car.

Hurray for the UConn women's basketball team!

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang it!  I hate those games.  I didn't really think it looked exactly like either one of them but, I know Jeff always does the thumbs up thing and I thought, maybe, it was just bad lighting for Bart.  I've actually met both of those guys, so you would think I would know...

I have been so dang busy getting ready to go on my trip this weekend.  I'm trying to train somebody in at work to do my stuff for the few days I'm gone.  My boss has known about my time off for months and never did anything about it...now, I'm spending time that I don't have, trying to train somebody in at the last minute.

Anyway...I ran 6 miles, tonight, in 47:12.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!