Masters Running

Wed Sep 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 492 times)

Did somebody say cooler? Yikes, almost too cool to run in summer clothes this morning (not really, but my hands were actually cold for a bit). 52°F and misty -- dew point was 51°. 96% humidity but who cares. Wonderful running weather. I realized with my brother here I haven't been paying too much attention to my running plan, so I figured I'd continue today. I did get 4 in at a relatively easy pace -- couldn't blast him out of bed this early to run with me I guess. Wink 4.1 miles, 36:11, 8:48/mi, AHR 134 Have a great day. The work week is half over!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

With mile repeats run yesterday, today was recovery day. Legs felt fine but tomorrow is tempo day so no reason for any speed at all. 5 slow miles at 10:30 min/mile pace. Avg HR 121. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Lou - I dug out my gloves for my run yesterday. Nice job getting out there this morning. Now you are running my kind of run Bill! Out for 5 this morning with Brinkley, but it was not all that enjoyable. I sabotaged myself last night eating junk food . . . while watching Biggest Loser! Confused Ah well, sometimes it just happens - the willpower just flies out the window when you open them. Ended up walking part of the last mile with stomach cramps. 9:56 / 136 10:09 / 143 9:43 / 151 10:08 / 156 10:43 / 145 Today is my mom's 92nd birthday! If you saw her you'd think she was only 70 - she says her secret is Scotch. Enjoy the day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning everyone Smile Thanks for the good start Lou. Yeah, Fall is in the air....47 degrees here this morning. Interesting Marathon training plan you mentioned yesterday Bill. I think it would drive me nuts only running 3 days a week. Is this plan just 5 days? From memory (which is scary) 3 days running - 2 days cross training - what about the 2 other days? Glad your legs feel fine after your SPEEDY mile repeats yesterday...7:34 - 7:12 - and 7:10 is fast Sorry about your stomach issues Mary...that sucks when that happens. Anyways, nice run with the Brinkster this morning and getting it done again Smile 7 easy / recovery miles for me last night at exactly 9:00 pace. I have found lately my overall paces are getting quicker, including my recovery pace. Will try a track workout tonight with 6 - 1000 M repeats, then Ribs has me doing 3 200 M repeats to work on form...42 to 45 seconds each....but will bail at the first sign of heel pain! Should get about 13 miles in, running to and from the track. Well, 45 days and counting till my race Cool When I was In Indianapolis getting my new shoes last Sat, I was a an intersection waiting for the light to turn green. There was this weathered looking woman glaring eye to eye to each driver sitting there. She was holding a sign that read "homeless and hungry" Man, that is a real hard thing to see and makes me want to give this person money, but I guess most people think this perosn only wants money for drugs or booze...but still touches my heart to see such a thing...I obviously, I don't make it to big Cities very often. I'm sure most can relate that you try NOT to make eye contact because it does make us feel somewhat bad not giving of ourselves to a needy person. Don't know really why I brought this up, but as the economy gets worse, we will see more and more of this stuff I suppose. Have a great hump day everyone. Hope Holly has her power back on! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Morning, all! Lou - yes, cooler! Feels good, huh? {{{{{{{{Mary's stomach}}}}}} Birthday wishes for your Mom - 92 and still going strong is awesome! Tim - I'm certainly guilty of trying not to make eye contact in those situations. Several years ago DH and I were walking around downtown Denver. We were crossing a bridge and saw an elderly homeless man dangling over the edge of a canal. He was drunk and had fallen over the edge and could only manage to cling to the side. Scores of people passed, saw him and kept on walking. DH ran down and pulled him back up on the bank. Amazing what people can ignore sometimes. 6 miles in 55 degrees this lovely morning. 1 mile warmup, 4 miles @9:10 and 1 mile cool down for average pace of 9:22 and 159 AHR. Holly - hope your electricity is back! Good runs everyone!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

"Interesting Marathon training plan you mentioned yesterday Bill. I think it would drive me nuts only running 3 days a week. Is this plan just 5 days? From memory (which is scary) 3 days running - 2 days cross training - what about the 2 other days?
              This is from the F.I.R.S.T program described in the "Run Less, Run Faster" book. Yes, 3 days running and 2 days cross training only. The other 2 days are rest days. It's designed with busy people in mind - or for people who don't run their easy days easy enough and thus don't recover sufficiently. The cross train days "force" you to recover by doing other stuff. I am just toying with the idea of using it in the spring perhaps, in a modified fashion. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

It would be interesting to see such a program for examination purposes Bill, from a guy who has done several more traditional training programs. A curmudgeon like me is always willing to learn something, as you know I have always espoused daily running. Dark Horse, these games are scarily like repeats of the Fenway series. Overall the Rays have the better ERA. Often a team will have superior starting pitching but then get tattooed when you get to their bullpen. Not so with either of these teams. It's a fascinating matchup. But as you point out, sooner or later someone has to face the Angels. Those of you interested in good technique and approach to training read Busiman's late post in yesterday's thread. He comments that he does his track work by form and that if he isn't holding form he's probably running too fast. There is a great lesson. Headed out for a walk. Crispy cool here in N. TX. Spareribs
                  9.2 miles at 8:12 pace (1:15)----clear skies and brisk temps at 45F at 6:30 AM. It was the first long sleeve top and gloves run of the season. My legs were barking last night after the workout w/race run, but felt great after a good night’s sleep. I think the cooler temps helped as well—everything was working fine this morning. My guys gave me a massage gift certificate for my b-day and I plan to redeem it soon. I need it. I received a sale notice from http://www.runbargains.com/ it may be useful with all the shoe conversations of late as well as hurting feet. ((((Maraposai and Enke)))))) Happy birthday to your Mom Mary. My grandfather also used to claim it was the Scotch. I am taking Super Granny to the dentist later (yes, she even has most of her own teeth) and I’ll have to check the cabinets for Scotch! It’s margaritas for her I think. Sorry about the stomach. I can’t eat just one Sun Chip so I banned them from the house (for now). ((((((Perch!))))))) Why the air cast? I am so sorry….don’t stay away though. I know it’s tough, but we miss you. Onward with the day…. Karin

Hill Runner

Good morning all, We had cooler temps here also this morning...63F and cloudy...pretty nice for running but I just couldn't get it in gear this morning. I forced myself out the door and felt sluggish for most of the run. Fortunately by about mile 8 I started to feel better and finished up running strong. 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:28 pace. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

POWER! Such a beautiful thing, electricity....after 51 hours, our power came on last night, as we were getting ready to head out to DD’s soccer game. The kids and I raced through the house, shouting war whoops and bouncing on the beds (yes, I am a 43-year-old woman who shouts war whoops and bounces on beds – surely you could have guessed that by now....Big grin...). I immediately checked the freezers and was surprised to see that they had not completely defrosted; there were still ice cubes and about 2/3 of our stuff in the garage freezer was still frozen solid, and thankfully the ice cream had not yet melted all over everything. I still threw out most of the contents of the kitchen refrigerator and freezer, but I’m thankful we don’t have a total loss. Today I had the pleasure of fresh coffee and the morning news and a hot, hot shower....ahhhhhh. Yes DickyG – I was not at all offended by your comment yesterday. I thought it was funny. Teresa – what a relief that must be! Mary - happy birthday to your mom! CNYrunner - you've been working so hard - you definitely deserve a massage. Smile 8.05 miles for me this morning in 51 crisp and lovely degrees. Ave HR 135, ave pace 9:56, including WU and the last big uphill mile home (yay!) with mile #3 at 8:31 (yay – first 8-minute-mile since June!), plus 10 x 100m striders. I was trying to concentrate on midfoot strike, using the mental image that SR has posted several times about to keep me from hitting on the heel, but I must say that it felt quite strange, like I was running on tiptoes almost, like a toddler just learning to run. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Although I have very little arch in my feet, I have come to believe that I am a "supinator." Strange, because I'm not at all bow-legged. Really. Big grin It would be nice to have someone qualified watch my gait and give me some advice. Maybe I need to drive to Tim's shoe store. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Sotheby's auction house has sold a pickled shark by British art provocateur Damien Hirst for $17 million. The sale kicked off a two-day auction of the artist's work that is expected to generate more than $116 million. Somewhat overlooked at the auction was the Delta Delta Delta sorority house's "Stewed Co-ed", which fetched a measly $1.84 plus a few assorted off-color jokes & whistles. Maine:
                        8:31 - 123 / 135 8:11 - 131 / 138 7:35 - 140 / 144 7:17 - 148 / 151 7:06 - 151 / 156 8:00 - 142 / 155 0:08 - 143 / 143
                        Now that's some nice running, sports fans. NoNo:
                        ... stop at the Original Fudge Kitchen* for a freebie (vanilla tonight)...
                        Ocean City, right? Outstanding fudge! Mary: Happy birthday to mom! Wow...92! Which way to the liquor store... Still 96% humidity out there...ran 4.1 miles in 37:02 (9:02)...think I'm starting to get a little stronger. Had a little left after the 5K part so I sped up a little and did the last mile in 7:52, about what I'm gonna have to run if I expect to keep up with my arch-enemy Jim DeHart in our October race. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #3309

I was trying to concentrate on midfoot strike, using the mental image that SR has posted several times about to keep me from hitting on the heel, but I must say that it felt quite strange, like I was running on tiptoes almost, like a toddler just learning to run. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
                          Holly, you need to be very careful making the transition to mid foot running. It took me almost a year before I finally got the hang of it...and it made my calf's and Achilles very sore at times. What I did was incorporate mid foot running little bits at a time...like the last 1/4 mile of a run, or shorter. Then just keep adding a little distance every run or so. If you get too sore, back off a few days and then try again. It really is a better way to run, and I believe it is better for preventing injuries...as our barefoot running friends would agree. I also find it best to make this transition in the off season, when not training for any races. Happy you got your power back on Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

DickyG -- well I'm in Wildwood, but it is the same folks. In talking to my H last night, he said maybe we should use it for fueling on long runs. I think it is worth a shot! LOL

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

DickyG.....I was highly offended yesterday with your post about the one's who had lost power. Lets see, about $500.00 would make me feel less offended Big grin. As Holly said...it was funny. Tim

Only 4 miles this morning at an 8:35 pace...still a struggle...thankfully T didn't have his mojo working either today... Tammy-That's what it felt like...Quasimodo style running Mariposai-The DW and kidlets will be at soccer...but thanks for the offer,I'll probably book a room at the Roadway
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip